Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next
 Post subject: Re: Please Read & Introduce Yourself!
PostPosted: April 1st, 2017, 7:31 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

First off... yes, we had a group here that would do the same thing. I never could keep track of who was who.

Second of.... -_- You completely had me with the whole "leaving the site" thing! Not cool... cleaver but not cool.... lol :p

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: April 1st, 2017, 7:43 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Jax Nova wrote:
First off... yes, we had a group here that would do the same thing. I never could keep track of who was who.

Second of.... -_- You completely had me with the whole "leaving the site" thing! Not cool... cleaver but not cool.... lol :p

Heh hee... I know. I was writing up my 'pinch punch' and was browsing IMDB when I came across Bilbo's party speech. So I copied it and tweaked the lead in. It brought to mind the semi-regular 'I'm leaving' posts that came about on TORC back in 2003 where people made a production over themselves leaving the site. I think someone actually wrote a 'form letter' with blanks for the 'leavers' to fill out. Too funny. Kind of reminded me of that 'downer' that was here up to last year.

Anyway, no more name changes from me.
:)

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 1st, 2017, 8:44 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Hehe yeah, there are always a few of those around. I must admit a forum letter with the blanks to fill in the names would be rather ammusing. :p

Glad to know you are not leaving is for real, though! Lol

PostPosted: April 1st, 2017, 10:15 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

If I get ambitious enough, I'll go look for it.

Edit: I found it and in hindsight it isn't as funny as it was in 2002.

Anyway, this has sort of gotten away from welcoming new folk. I kind of like it when they start their own welcome thread. I could see that would be an issue back 10-15 years ago, but these days, not likely.

So... Welcome all the new folks of 2017!

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 11:32 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

*breaths a sigh of relief* I sm glad you only punked us and are not leaving dur um Hanasian. Now stop changing names!

And thank you for the warm welcome! I made new friends here already!

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 11:54 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Yeah, most people actually did start their own "Hi I'm new here!" type of thread back in the day. Few actually used this one.

I am very glad you are enjoying it here Deumeawyn! :D It's great to have you.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 2:59 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Jax Nova wrote:
I am very glad you are enjoying it here Deumeawyn! :D It's great to have you.

:hug: Aww... thank you Jax! I just noticed your join date, and that was around the time I first read the Silmarillion! :)

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 2:04 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

:D You have no idea how long i have been waiting to see new active members come and se the RP section come back to life! Lol I'ce been here almost from the beginning of the forum. (I think it started in early 2005) I've seen a lot come and go and even come and gone a few times myself.

Funny enough I probably read the silmarilion around that same time! I loved it! Best book I ever read still to this day I would say!

PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 3:14 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

It's difficult to watch the sites slowly die and see friends leave and lose contact, especially like you, Jax, I was at the beginning of a few.

I suppose it's kinda like graduating from college, where you've met people from all over and become close and then you all go your own way afterward. Some you might keep up with but others "disappear". :bye:

Forums in general have gone through so much in the last few years. Not just the ones I'm on, but the ones my husband is on. I think Fbook and those kind of sites have replaced a lot of forums like this one where people do take time to "interact" more than just posting and liking and not taking the time to maybe discuss.

I like to hear the thoughts and feelings and ideas of others in more than a word or sentence, and that's why I enjoy forum-type sites. I'm glad to be here. :hug:

PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 3:57 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

At least from my limited experience on CoE since November 2013, that real-world graduation has reduced numbers as youngsters move on to new life experiences, college especially often being the first time they have not lived at home. :confused2:

Then the aspect that the younger members most likely first came into contact with LoTR through the movies and only then graduated to the books (and graduation is the right term here to my tastes) - if they did. And not that many people have gotten involved in the writings surrounding Middle-earth as some of us have (including parodies and commemorative collections my JRRT library tops 70 books - and still Elthir can out-quote me in a way that makes my head spin! :sick: ). Add to that the trend that people are generally reading fewer books all the time (our total library is easily ten times my JRRT collection). My gut feeling is that it such differences life experiences will explain whether people trend towards FB & co. or towards forums.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 7:25 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Yes, I much prefer forums over facebook and other such venues. Always have.

It is funny you equate it to graduating because I honestly felt like (growing up) AU was my "Highschool" (I guess I'm a little behind since you relate tonthe college experience :p) and as it is, everyone "graduates and leaves for college and then I "come back to the hometown later" after college and everyone I know/knew is nearly gone.... it's just not the same town anymore.

I also agree the life experience of people now days is so vastly different it certainly contributes to the popularity of FB over forums and such. I don't understand it, but it is there.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 8:45 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I agree, Gandolorin, that it all depends on what you grew up with. I realized the difference between me and my 25 year old niece recently. Her grandmother (not my Mom) has Carpal Tunnel Syndrome as do I. We were discussing it and I told my niece she had something to look forward to in her old age. She said no, and started thumbing an invisible cell phone. Yeah, those kids will have Thumb Syndrome!

Jax, I didn't go to college. I only compared it to the college experience because most people go through grade school, junior high and high school with the same people in the same town. When kids go off to college, a lot of times they go away from home and interact with so many different people in a short period. After four years, unless you've developed a strong bond, they go the way I've seen people leave forums.

I still live within a few miles of the schools I attended and yet I've not seen anyone I knew back then since then. I went in a completely different direction. WORK! :D :D :D

PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 10:13 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Findë, I was having a similar discussion with my son about how nobody seems to have a "homeplace," anymore. A place where they were raised and can always call, "home." (sigh)

PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 2:40 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Silmalassë wrote:
Findë, I was having a similar discussion with my son about how nobody seems to have a "homeplace," anymore. A place where they were raised and can always call, "home." (sigh)

It's difficult for a lot of kids. I was lucky and went to three schools. My husband went to FOUR high schools. His Dad was an air force pilot and they moved every two years. That had to be tough. Either you become outgoing and meet new people every time knowing that you'll be leaving them in two years, or you become introverted and spend time in the Library. He spent time in the Library. I can see why he put roots down here. It's been his home now for 40+ years. :D

PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 8:14 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Gotcha. ;)

:D

PostPosted: November 1st, 2017, 6:25 am 
Elf
Elf

Hey all,

New here but not to Tolkien nor Tolkien message boards. In Australia. Into Tolkien. Not into talking about myself so that's it from me.

See you all around some time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next