Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 11:09 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Hi Tolkien fans! This is how I found Middle-earth:

First heard, more likely read the term "Lord of the Rings" in the 1970s, without any idea about content.
Saw the Ralph Bakshi movie (which I now have on DVD) in 1983, read the German translation of LotR shortly after. Bought LotR original in 1985 latest, Hobbit, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and Book of Lost Tales vols 1 and 2 shortly thereafter. The other ten books of the HoME followed. Books by, about and in honor of JRRT now number 70+, last acquisition was "The Lay Of Aotrou & Itroun" by Verlyn Flieger, and I'm waiting for the publication of "Tale of Beren and Lúthien" by Christopher Tolkien.
Lived in the US 1966-1975 with my parents, Germany since then. Have traveled widely in the northern hemisphere, but never crossed the equator southwards (so a visit to New Zealand is something I might do sometime).

Post subject: Re: Introduction
PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 11:36 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Hey! :D Welcome to the forum and it is great to meet you! You sound like you have a good library of Tolkien and middle earth knowledge and that could make for some excellent conversation. :D

The traveling sounds exciting as well. I have lived in the US all my life and pretty much never traveled except once... other than to a few of the surrounding states. I have always wanted to travel, though, and NZ of course would be one of my anticipated destinations if I were able to!

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 1:08 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Hi, Jax Nova! As I see, you've been on this site for more than a decade! I got the tip about "Arwen-Undomiel" from two users in a different JRRT site, of which I have been a member since end of November 2013 (I only got got connected to the Internet about a month before that, mostly for the purpose of having a private e-mail address - as I thought back then) :confused2: . I've been clicking my way around the site a bit randomly, as of course everything here is different from the other site. Anyway, I managed to get an avatar to work! :kick: My first contacts with computers was starting late 1973 or a shade after that, then it was mainframes with time-sharing. PCs (stand-alone, pre-286 machines) started end of 1984 (ah, shaddap, George! >:( ), first (stand-alone) private PC was a 286 in very late 1989 or so. Four tower PCs followed (all of them quite useful for games to be had at the time I purchased them), and my current Internet thingy is a notebook (I know what a LAP-top looked like and weighed in the late eighties! :swoon: Douglas Adams of "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" fame made some analogous comments about the early Mac "portables"! :lol: ).
I'll be puzzling my way through the A-U maze as time goes by, every site's "logic" seems to me to be close to learning a new language. But then I have "interpreters" on the other site who could help me out.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 1:17 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Cool cool. :) Glad you decided to join us! :D

Sounds like you are fairly new to the internet but also sounds like you have some help to figuring things out. And if you ever have questions feel free to ask anywhere on this site. We are all willing to help where we can.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 1:29 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Welcome to the forum, Gandolorin! Glad you've decided to join us! :wave:

I'm Elenthari, or just Elen for short! You're from Germany - cool! I visited Berlin this January, it was pretty exciting experience!
Whoa! What a vast JRRT collection you have! Can't wait for you to share your thoughts about Tolkien and his work here on the forum! :)

As Jax said, if need help around, feel free to ask us anytime! :)

Happy posting around AU-forum. :P

Return of the Rings 2011- make it happen

sig.set:by me;
my unbiological sissy is Aerlinn

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 1:46 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Gando, my good man, I see you liked what you saw. :bye2: I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this site. There are four of us, that I'm aware of, that are CoE members as well as members of this site.

There are some nice discussion threads here. Enjoy your exploration. :-D

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 2:09 pm 
Istari
Istari

Hi, E~S! :bye2:

Anything here which resembles the Games respectively Realms Forums? :-D

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 5:15 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Welcome, Gandolorin! I'm on Council of Elrond, too (though I don't post there much). You'll know me as Lady Oakenshield (if I could change my username on that site, I would, since I'm so over Thorin. I should have chose something related to the ocean, since that's one thing I'll always love). The closest we have to a Games forum on this site is in the Miscellaneous section (which is mostly for off topic discussion). :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 6:24 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

G'Day and Welcome Gando! Good to see ya here! I'm Arveleg over on CoE, which I only use for historical reference anymore after my latest tech fail there.
I'm sure any games you want to recreate here could be done. There are a lot of forums here which were split off back during the busy years, but it seems sort of empty now.
Hope you enjoy the place!

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 6:25 pm 
Istari
Istari

Yes, I remember your user-name on CoE. But for my entire life, I've been better at remembering faces than names. So you may be able to commiserate with me because some users loved to change their avatars frequently. :annoyed: Occasionally caused serious site issues for them at times, which is why I didn't touch my avatar there (which you may recognize here) :) . So with you and E~S, and - Hanasian, is it? - I now know three CoE members who are also active here - nice. :-D But of course, there are far more other members here to be met, so I'll be meandering around here as I did in CoE in my beginnings ... :yes:

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 6:26 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Welcome to the forum!

This is a nice place.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 6:32 pm 
Istari
Istari

Well, whaddayaknow, I actually managed to remember E~S's tip about Hanasían! Just checking my memory (oh dear!) You're the Ozzie originating from Washington State? (This is an old goat doing things he might better not do, or some such ... )

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 6:45 pm 
Istari
Istari

Hi, Mithril_Maiden, seems I take too much time typing my post (aka I blab too much :whistle: ) before submitting it - this thread is a bit jumpy as a result - whatever. Nice place - as far as I can see, you're absolutely right! :yes:

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 6:54 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Gandolorin wrote:
Well, whaddayaknow, I actually managed to remember E~S's tip about Hanasían! Just checking my memory (oh dear!) You're the Ozzie originating from Washington State? (This is an old goat doing things he might better not do, or some such ... )

Yes, that be me. My Arveleg av on CoE was done when I registered there in 2003. I uploaded it locally there so it remains. The other places I've used it got wiped when something happened on photobucket and url addresses changed. Hanasian is my RP/Fanfic character who got his start as 'Ranger #26 (of 30) in an old RO from about 2000. I didn't register here until '07, then was only very sporadically active here until a couple three years ago.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 7:17 pm 
Istari
Istari

If I remember correctly, you have been twice as active post-wise here compared to CoE.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2017, 5:36 pm 
Istari
Istari

Welcome to the forum Gandolorin! Hope you enjoy it here!

Profile       WWW