Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently February 22nd, 2018, 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Middle Earth TV Series!
PostPosted: January 30th, 2018, 7:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Erm. Perhaps Sir Ian has not checked his Appendix B recently. In the text heading the annals for the third age: “When maybe a thousand years had passed, and the first shadow had fallen on Greenwood the Great, the Istari or Wizards appeared in Middle-earth.” Perhaps the garbage PJ had him say as he left Théoden and the others before the Battle of Helm’s Deep in TTT to gather those Rohan forces which had scattered after the second Battle at the Fords of Isen messed up his memory: “Three hundred lives of men I walk this Middle-earth, and now I have no time.” 300 times 70 is 21000. W-a-a-a-a-a-y off. Thirty lives would come close to the 2000 years Gandalf had been in Middle-earth.

But then, consider that Sir Christopher Lee was 90 and too frail to travel to New Zealand for the filming of The Hobbit, so they did the filming of his scenes in London (he died at 93 in 2015 before the EE of BoFA was released). In the BoFA theatrical version we have the “White Council” (here reduced to Saruman, Elrond, Galadriel and Gandalf, though the latter has to be rescued by the other three) drives Sauron from Dol Guldur. “Saruman’s” double naturally takes care of all the martial arts action, so for such scenes in the TV series the same procedure could be used for any Gandalf fighting. Sir Ian is, at 78, still quite a bit younger than Sir Christopher was when filming of The Hobbit began (Sir Christopher was actually 77 when principal photography for LoTR began in 1999, and 82 when the EE of ROTK came out). So from that point of view, Sir Ian should be able to do at least what Sir Christopher was able to do for The Hobbit.

As I’ve become rather ignorant of movies and actors since I last was in a cinema in early 2004 for RoTK, I do not have the slightest idea who might be a replacement for Gandalf. I once joked elsewhere that if we wait for a few more years, Viggo Mortensen (to be 60 at the end of this year, the whelp! ;-) ) could slip into the Gandalf role, and my favorite for Saruman in than case would be Liam Neeson (to be 66 this year) …

Any suggestions, Hanasian?