Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Do you think that movie Frodo is a whimp?
Poll ended at November 29th, 2006, 1:08 pm
Yes (movie Frodo was a whimp) 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
No (movie Frodo was not a whimp) 61%  61%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject: Movie Frodo a whimp?
PostPosted: November 8th, 2006, 1:08 pm 
Istari
Istari

Some of my freinds said that movie Frodo was a total whimp. So I was wondering what is your opinion on this? Is he or isn't he a whimp? Why is or isn't he a whimp? Do you still like him (if you think he's a whimp)? Just wondering.
Personaly I think that movie Frodo was a bit of a whimp. He did little to no fighting and he certainly gave into the ring. I still like him (alot) and I find myself defending him to my freinds (most of the time) but I just can't see movie Frodo as a mighty warrior. To me he's more of a whimp.
Well, what's your take on Frodo as a whimp?

Destiny I'm a Christian boycrazy girl. Will Turner's wife ^&? Image Image Avatar by JF, banners by Taurquende, Nurrantiel Mashiara, Silme Meleth TarNymphadora, and JF taught me how to use banners. Thanks to all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2006, 3:28 pm 
Vala
Vala

NO!!!

In my opinion, he's one of the strongest characters. Not all strength is measured through the sword arm. Frodo, even though he was small and didn't think he'd be quite adequate, reached out and agreed to take on what seemed like an impossible quest.

He kept going even when he was miserable and heartbroken. He even had the strength to try to go on all alone.

In RotK, even though he was in both physical and mental agony, he still kept going. As I've said before, he gave everything to save a world he'd never be a part of again. He gave everything he had, struggled and fought. In the end his task was accomplished. True, at the last moment, he did claim the Ring for his own. But after all he'd been through... it's incredible he hadn't earlier.

Than, even when he thought he and Sam were going to die, he comforted Sam rather than feeling sorry for himself. This was his choice, and he knew it, and he accepted it.

His strength was of a different kind. No, he didn't go out into battle, didn't kill lots of orcs; but he defeated something even greater than that, fought an even greater battle. Frodo was strong.

OK, lecture done now. :whistle:

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10th, 2006, 8:06 pm 
Istari
Istari

^ I hadn't realy thought of it like that before. That's very interresting. Thank you for giving your opinion. Sometimes I find it very nice to hear/read opionions that I hadn't thought of or that are different from my own. Hmm, now I kind of see it a little differently then I had before. Maybe we're both right but just in different ways. What, I mean is that maybe he was a Little bit of a whimp physcialy but he was strong emotionaly. eh...I guess it just depends on how you look at it.
Hey, would you mind if I used what you said to atleeast try to defend Frodo to some of my freinds and family members? My mom even said that he's like Penelope Pitstop. (shakes head) :(

Destiny I'm a Christian boycrazy girl. Will Turner's wife ^&? Image Image Avatar by JF, banners by Taurquende, Nurrantiel Mashiara, Silme Meleth TarNymphadora, and JF taught me how to use banners. Thanks to all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11th, 2006, 2:43 pm 
Vala
Vala

Yes, as I said, physically, he wasn't the strongest.

Go ahead and quote any of that whenever you want! If it's defending Frodo, I want as many people to hear it as possible!

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11th, 2006, 8:09 pm 
Istari
Istari

^ Yep, just like you said. :-D
Yay! I am going to quote you to my freinds and family on your Frodo stuff. Thanks for letting me qoute you. :-D That's great. (high five)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2006, 7:49 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I agree with Altariel Frodo - I don't think that Frodo was a wimp.

Perhaps your friends are forgetting that, particularly towards the end of the story, the ring was leeching out his physical strength, to the point that he was having difficulty carrying it.

I know that his reaction to Shelob might also be thought of as a bit wimpish - but then If I was alone in a dark cave, and then turned around to find a giant spider behind me, I don't think I would be too keen to fight it. At least he still had the presence of mind to run for it - rather than sit there petrified and wait to be eaten.

As for the fact that Sam did fight Shelob, I don't think this casts a wimpy light on Frodo. By the time Sam comes upon Shelob, he has seen what she has done to Frodo and is hopping mad - so no wonder he goes in all guns blazing.

And here's another little thought you could also add in Frodo's defence - Frodo is a small hobbit, Boromir of Gondor is a mighty warrior - yet who fell to the ring first?

Hope that helps. :-D

Be alert - the world needs more lerts :guitar:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2006, 6:01 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I love Frodo to death but yeah he was a bit of a whimp :p My brother and I always mock him and make fun of him [when watching the films] because he's the one constantly getting stabbed or falls down. Of course it's not entirely his fault but still.. *ducks* :teehee:

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2006, 7:35 pm 

I voted No. he was pretty strong in the movie..but sometimes I could consider him as a 'wimp'

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2006, 10:33 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

i didn't like Frodo very much when i saw the movies. i actually thought of him as an idiot but when i read the book i realized how much of a burden he was carrying and how much he was suffering. poor guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2006, 7:32 pm 
Elf
Elf

The book Frodo is so much better, the movie Frodo looks like a twleve year old, and he's just to girly for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2006, 2:12 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

yes, lol, he was just too whiny..I know most of the time is not HIS fault, he just gets stabbed and stuff, but he screams and complains toooooo much for my taste

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25th, 2006, 12:41 pm 

The book Frodo is so strong. He's one of my favorite characters. The movie Frodo though...well, he was a bit wimpy. They didn't show his strength enough in the movie, I thought. It seemed like he was always getting stabbed or in trouble. (Well, being close to Mordor would help that.)
But it always took him forever to get hurt, he'd be in pain, everyone would think he was dead. He seemed a bit of a wimp.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 26th, 2006, 4:45 pm 
Maia
Maia

Altariel Frodo wrote:
NO!!!

In my opinion, he's one of the strongest characters. Not all strength is measured through the sword arm. Frodo, even though he was small and didn't think he'd be quite adequate, reached out and agreed to take on what seemed like an impossible quest.

He kept going even when he was miserable and heartbroken. He even had the strength to try to go on all alone.

In RotK, even though he was in both physical and mental agony, he still kept going. As I've said before, he gave everything to save a world he'd never be a part of again. He gave everything he had, struggled and fought. In the end his task was accomplished. True, at the last moment, he did claim the Ring for his own. But after all he'd been through... it's incredible he hadn't earlier.

Than, even when he thought he and Sam were going to die, he comforted Sam rather than feeling sorry for himself. This was his choice, and he knew it, and he accepted it.

His strength was of a different kind. No, he didn't go out into battle, didn't kill lots of orcs; but he defeated something even greater than that, fought an even greater battle. Frodo was strong.

OK, lecture done now. :whistle:

*applause* Bravo!

I also love Frodo to death, but sometimes I can't help but laugh at how many near-death experiences he had. Honestly...he gets stabbed, like, 3 times? I can't even remember. :P

Thank you for five-plus wonderful years of obsession, friendship and fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28th, 2006, 7:31 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

My friends tend to think he's a major wimp, but a lot of people don't realize how much he had to endure. Sure, he wasn't a good fighter-person, and he wasn't particularily powerful or strong. But what he had to go through with the ring, I don't think anyone could have done any better than him.

One thing that really bothered me about the movies was Weathertop. In the book Frodo lunges at the ringwraiths and tries to stab one, while in the movie he tries to get away from them. I did not like that.

"I'll tell you truly: I value my thought and work terribly, but in essence - think about it - this whole world of ours is just a bit of mildew that grew over a tiny planet. And we think we can have something great - thoughts, deeds! They're all grains of sand." - Levin

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2006, 5:53 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

OMG yes I think PJ made Frodo a complete wimp! All that, "Sam, I can't go on any longer," and, "The Ring is such a burden!" stuff... I mean, he was supposed to be an extremely strong hobbit of the Shire! An unexpected hero! Not a wimp!

I suppose when he complained to Sam about the Ring Sam encouraged him to keep going was trying to emphasize their friendship, but I still think PJ did a bad job of depicting Frodo.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2006, 9:10 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

In my opinion, he was a hero. Isildur succumbed to the rings power so quickly, and he was supposed to be this big powerful guy who defeated Sauron. Nobody expected Frodo to do anything, he was just a little hobbit, and he made it when no body else could.

Frodo wasn't some big sword-wielding macho hero. He was a normal guy trying to do the impossible. He was human. Sometimes he felt like he couldn't do it.

"I'll tell you truly: I value my thought and work terribly, but in essence - think about it - this whole world of ours is just a bit of mildew that grew over a tiny planet. And we think we can have something great - thoughts, deeds! They're all grains of sand." - Levin