Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lord of the Rings ~It's Been 15 Years.... Time for a Reb
PostPosted: July 13th, 2016, 1:25 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Evil.Shieldmaiden wrote:
[color=#A59F89]Or an elf with a receding hairline ... not that I'm mentioning any names.

I also found said nameless actor had a hard time overcoming his Smith persona, and I kept thinking he would multiply.

Lol! No kidding! Especially when he whips out the line "Welcome to Rivendell Mr Baggins" which could easily be replaced by 'Mr Anderson'.

So... who would make a good Elrond? Hmm.... thinking....

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 13th, 2016, 4:48 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I'm really not up enough on actors to even give a suggestion on that but I am interested in seeing who you might come up with.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: September 17th, 2016, 8:51 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

A couple actors I think would make, or have made, a good Arwen would be Morena Baccarin and Catherine Bell. They both have more of a Noldorian look, though the eye color should be more grey than brown.

a bit of an aside... I think Morena would make the perfect 'Monique' in a dark re-make of the movie Kings Go Forth.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 17th, 2016, 10:42 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Elves appearing older isn't the weirdest thing to me personally. Cirdan had a beard. :P Granted Galadriel and Elrond were babies compared to him. Technically Elves don't physically age past 100, but it still wouldn't be unreasonable to not rule out aging from stress instead of time.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 19th, 2016, 5:34 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

@ Hanasian. I could see either of rhem playing Arwen jusging by looks.

@ Aredhel Beards and such would make sense, yes. Theoretically, though, shouldn't Arwen and Elrond have looked the same age since they were both over 100? Stress, though, I suspect is a valid point.

And... Love the banner! Lol

PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 9:33 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

One of the cool things about the Elves is that the 'aging' process is such that three generations of adults could stand side by side, and the changes would be so subtle a non-elf would likely be unable to differentiate which individuals belonged to which generation.

The fact that Elrond seems older in the films has to do with PJ's choice of actor than anything in the books. Although an argument could possibly be made that it has to do with his human genes.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2016, 10:06 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I think age and wisdom is easier to convey on film visually. An older and more mature actor would appear more convicing as wise and ancient rather than a bright-eyed 20-year old. They'd have no issues convincing Tolkien readers, but a lot of the movie fans have not read the books. :) I'm sure a lot - or all - of these things were heavily considered during casting!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2016, 6:57 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Point taken. lol I could see that now that you mention the movie fans who have never read the books and don't know. It would be kindn of confusing having Arwen's "father" looking the same exact age as her.

For book fans, though, I love Shieldmaiden's point of them all looking the same age to non-humans. for some reason I just think it would have been neat to see that in the movies but I guess adaptation has to be made for ease of understanding and from the written word to the visual "masterpiece" of a film.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2016, 5:15 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Some bits on a reboot's screenplay.... In Fellowship I would add a minute of the Dunedain Rangers battling the Nazgul at Sarn Ford before being scattered. Then at the Prancing Pony, maybe have one of the Rangers tell Aragorn what happened while the others distract the Nazgul as they pursue the hobbits.

In the Two Towers, I would have the Dunedain Rangers with the sons, and to appease getting XenArwen into it, daughter of Elrond, and they come to the Hornburg instead of the senseless arrival of elves.

In Return of the King, I'd rework the whole Paths of the Dead bit where Aragorn call out the Dead. I would get rid of the whole 'green slime' flood and make them more mysterious and have them terrorize the Corsairs and they take the ships. I have a bit different working of Faramir and Denethor as well... that will be my next post.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 25th, 2016, 7:53 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

I definitely would have loved to see more of the Rangers in it! That would be quite exciting. I have always loved the rangers and the entire concept of how they lived and worked etc...

I could see the passage of the dead being re-worked as well. It always seemed a little less... middle earthish, to me. More like something you might see out of Pirates of the Caribbean or something.

Feremir I loved his movie character. Denathor fit also... I just didn't like him. Then... who does? lol

I would actually like to see a little more of Feremir and Eowyn's story after they meet.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2016, 10:48 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Yeah, the Faramir/Eowyn dynamic could use a bit more screen time. The EE tried to bring that in a bit, but not enough. But then, the whole relationship was a bit hurried in the books too.

As for Denethor, the screenplay was all wrong. John Noble would have been a decent Denethor had the character been written more like the wise but hard Numenorean sort who used the Palantir. Instead you get this cranky and broken old slob that was not at all the core of who Denethor was. Did he break? Yes. Did he see less in Faramir than Boromir? Yes. But the screenplay wrote him in doing the full potato.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 26th, 2016, 8:25 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Yeah, I didn't think The EE added much to Feremir and Eowyn really. I mean... I know there is only sonmuch they can cram in, but I still think they could have done more.

That makes sense. It certainly would have been a different character. I guess in a way Injust doslike Denathor so much for how he is in the movies I'd hardly like tondoslike him less... O_o Odd as that may sound. It does make snse, though... That he had to have once been a wise man to be steward and for Boromir and Feremir to both be such good leaders.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2016, 7:44 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Jax Nova wrote:
Yeah, I didn't think The EE added much to Feremir and Eowyn really. I mean... I know there is only sonmuch they can cram in, but I still think they could have done more.

I may be wrong as I hadn't seen the original theatrical release since... well 2003, but I don't think there was anything other than Faramir and Eowyn trading a look at the coronation. So the EE did give them 30 seconds in the House of Healing.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 27th, 2016, 10:32 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

I believe you are correct. Like you, however, it has been quite some time since I have seen it.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2016, 5:10 pm 

Hanasían wrote:
Jax Nova wrote:

I may be wrong as I hadn't seen the original theatrical release since... well 2003, but I don't think there was anything other than Faramir and Eowyn trading a look at the coronation. So the EE did give them 30 seconds in the House of Healing.

One of my favorite scenes in the EE is the one where Eowyn and Faramir stand looking out over the Fields of Pelennor, after Aragorn has lead the last army to Mordor. They have some nice conversation there, and also show a deeper connection in understanding each other. Or were you already talking about that scene?

In a reboot of LotR, I'd certainly like to see more of the Eowyn/Faramir relationship, but also more Aragorn/Arwen. For A/A I'd like more background, instead of only romantic kissing scenes. Other than that personal aspect, I wouldn't change much.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2016, 10:23 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Lhunardaien wrote:
One of my favorite scenes in the EE is the one where Eowyn and Faramir stand looking out over the Fields of Pelennor, after Aragorn has lead the last army to Mordor. They have some nice conversation there, and also show a deeper connection in understanding each other. Or were you already talking about that scene?

Yeah, that was a great addition. I was being a bit sarcastic when I said '30 seconds'. It was a bit longer than that. I only remember a glance in the theatrical cut.

Lhunardaien wrote:
In a reboot of LotR, I'd certainly like to see more of the Eowyn/Faramir relationship, but also more Aragorn/Arwen. For A/A I'd like more background, instead of only romantic kissing scenes. Other than that personal aspect, I wouldn't change much.

More than the somewhat semi-erotic dream of Aragorn's after his cliff fall and before he wakes up kissing a horse? :lol: More of the serious background and relationship development could be added in. In fact, one could make quite a good 'prequel' movie based on the story of Aragorn and Arwen. Not sure how the dynamic would work for Arwen while Aragorn was off being Thorongil. There is a whole tale in itself on the travels of Aragorn.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW