Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lord of the Rings ~It's Been 15 Years.... Time for a Reb
PostPosted: October 5th, 2016, 12:36 pm 

Hanasian wrote:

More than the somewhat semi-erotic dream of Aragorn's after his cliff fall and before he wakes up kissing a horse? :lol: More of the serious background and relationship development could be added in. In fact, one could make quite a good 'prequel' movie based on the story of Aragorn and Arwen. Not sure how the dynamic would work for Arwen while Aragorn was off being Thorongil. There is a whole tale in itself on the travels of Aragorn.

Yes exactly! :lol: Even the first scene with Arwen in TTT could have been shorter and less dramatic, but the pre-horse kissing scene didn't really add anything. I'd rather see some actual background, or indeed something more about Aragorn. That would also help explain why Legolas is so impressed by Aragorn and defends him during the Council of Elrond. Now it's easy to be more on Boromir's side, thinking that Aragorn might have a royal name but he hasn't done anything remotely interesting so far... so background would be good!

PostPosted: October 5th, 2016, 1:09 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I do believe the glance was all offered in the theatrical cut. Honestly I remember the conversation but not what was said in the EE. Shows how long it has been since I watched it. :P

I would love to see more of Aragorn's background. Heck you could make a whole movie out of some of that!

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2017, 2:16 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Jax Nova wrote:
I do believe the glance was all offered in the theatrical cut. Honestly I remember the conversation but not what was said in the EE. Shows how long it has been since I watched it. :P

I would love to see more of Aragorn's background. Heck you could make a whole movie out of some of that!

Yes.... giving the whole re-boot idea a rethink in 2017, I wonder how a miniseries format would work. It could be either a 'Game of Thrones/Vikings' format, or better yet, a 'Rogue One' side-movie format. I think that showing chapters could work to an extent.

Another 're-boot' thought I had is to take what PJ has presented, and tweak it to be more what we would like to see.

I'll start with Fellowship...

Other than a change in actors for Frodo and Arwen, I would keep the movie as-is up to the part where Aragorn is searching for Athelas. There, I would have one of the Dunedain Rangers come by, but not catching Aragorn out at unawares. Always though that was really cheesy. Then have either Glorfindal, one or both of the Sons of Elrond, or even Arwen meet them. I'll allow Arwen to be the master horseman that takes Frodo to the fords, but give Elrond his due in conjuring up the river against the Nazgul. The rest is passable, I think I can live with the rest.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2017, 2:23 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Yes, I myself was not keen on the whole Arwen being the one to show up and especially not her catching him off guard. It's inconsistent at best.

Personally I would cut Arwen out of that event all together, but I could easily live with ypur version. I too would not make it seem as though Arwen conjured the river.

My memory my be falty but was it just Elrond? I was under the impression that Gandalf helped him.

A rogue One style side movie would be amazing! I would love that to no end!

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2017, 2:28 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Gandalf admitted adding his own touches, like the water forming into horse heads I believe.

I'm not against Arwen's role being expanded, but how I woul ddo it would be to have her ride with her brothers and the Dunedain Rangers south to meet Aragorn in Rohan. That in itself adds some plot=flow issues, but I have a fix for that as well.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2017, 10:34 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

I gotcha. I was thinking he was involved somehow.

Yeah, I guess that would be alright. I just have a pet peve against Arwen in a way. :P Only fulled more so by their choice of Live Tyler in the movies.

With a different actress I might well change my mind on her parts, but I certainly would like the scene with the Etheles after Frodo is stabbed, to be better portrayed to book content.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2017, 11:17 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Jax Nova wrote:
I just have a pet peve against Arwen in a way. :P Only fulled more so by their choice of Live Tyler in the movies.

Yeah, I could have cast any number of other actors for the role of Arwen back in 1999. Three that come to mind right off is Kristen Kruek, Catherine Bell, and Catherine Zeta Jones. And getting back to my screenplay rewrite.... The Thirty Rangers and the Children of Elrond ride hard south to find Aragorn, and there could be a rough-hewn romantic reunion between Arwen and Aragorn when they meet King Theoden's party riding back from Isengard. And think of the jealous three-way that could be done at Dunharrow.....

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 8th, 2017, 2:27 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

That certainly would add a different twist to things no doubt. lol

PostPosted: April 14th, 2017, 7:22 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

No doubt.

Since the topic of who would be a good director of a reboot came up elsewhere here,
I'll start by saying Ciaran Donnelly could pull it off in a more historical, yet still dramatic way without the horror movie props.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 14th, 2017, 8:37 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

I must say I frowned when I read some of the suggestions that struck me a bit in the direction of RP and / or fanfic (I have very little experience with either, so my concept of them may quite well be a little foggy ... :whistle: )

First off, I would add nothing that is not covered by the books, appendices, UT or HoME - or the letters. I would also guess that a trilogy wouldn't be enough (the EEs were 3:38, 3:34 and 4:00 hours - my backside hurts just thinking about that, even with intermissions! :wary: ). JRRT's own split into six books has a certain attraction - but staying with Merry / Pippin, Aragorn / Legolas / Gimli and the returned Gandalf for such a duration, book three, before returning to Frodo / Sam / Gollum, book four, might really be stretching it in a movie format, so shorter back-and-forths would probably be necessary. And my gut feeling would probably mean two 90-minute films for each book. The chapter "The Shadow Of The Past" could become a fairly long prologue (at least one film) with added information from the appendices, or parts of the reports from some people in the Council Of Elrond.

I would also very much get rid of what I like to call the "dumbing down" of some characters. PJ's Faramir has to go! Faramir was an Aragorn Jr., wiser than even his father in some aspects, and never mind big - I'm going to say it! - dumb bro Boromir. Then the crap with then Ents, turning the Ent-moot's result on its head - out it goes. And Gimli is not a comic-relief character, Dwarves are the one people who can make even Orcs hesitate simply through their grimness! Then heroin-junkie Frodo - when the Hobbits get into a tight spot, they should show much more toughness! :bones:

For Elves, I must say my imagination is at sea how to display them. True, three generations like Galadriel - Elrond - Arwen should look pretty much the same to non-Elves, but not like smooth-faced teens or twens, certainly more mature. And there was one comment about Elrond being partially human - so why not receding hairline, E~S? ;-)

But who would film this? I've read a lot about Douglas Adams' struggle to get "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" onto the big screen, which didn't happen during his lifetime. As one biographer put it unkindly, but probably correctly, DA was never going to have the film he envisioned made by Hollywood, so it could only have been - and was - made after he was no longer around to be an impediment. Probably my ramblings about LoTR should be made would send all Hollywood types shrieking for the hills, screaming "that's H2G2 squared!!!" :swoon: