Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lord of the Rings ~It's Been 15 Years.... Time for a Reboot!
PostPosted: March 27th, 2016, 11:48 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

New cast, new director, new screenplay!

If you were given the job to write the screenplay, how would you do it?

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Lord of the Rings ~It's Been 15 Years.... Time for a Reb
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2016, 3:24 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I'd like to see the usage of the Army of the Dead different than how Jackson saw it, even though I loved the three movies and the extended scenes of the Army. I still think staying with the book version would have been better.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 6:50 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

That's a good thought I'm surprised I didn't see this topic before. I love the movies as they are very much, but this may be crazy but I'll give it small try here.

First of all I would make a trilogy again.
My first movie wood really center around how evil was spawned in Middle Earth going back to Morgoth and showing how Sauron became Annatar & deceived Celebrimbor into making the Rings. I just love reading about that in the Silmarillion and the book and movies are called The Lord of the Rings and that's what Sauron was The Lord of the Rings so I think it's important to show why he has that title when that is the title of the book. And it could be ended with Gollum having possession of the Ring, showing how Gandalf has realized the threat of Sauron and possibly showing a little bit of Gandalf and Aragorn hunting for Gollum.

The second movie I would go about like the original Fellowship of the Rings introducing the hobbits and Bilbo and Frodo and a little bit quicker introduction of the Council of Elrond and would leave out a little bit of that love story between Aragorn and Arwen & while I do think that is a great part of the appendices but it could be left out or made a little bit less significant in the movie. I would end the second movie with the Battle of Helm's Deep and I would make it a little bit more like the books and if I'm not badly mistaken in the book there's only one or two pages dedicated to that battle. But I think Helm's Deep in Peter Jackson's movies is extremely important because it shows how the trilogy starts with this peaceful happy place called the Shire and is taken to this very dark bloody battle at Helm's Deep and brought all the way back to the peaceful happy Shire because of people dedicated to good overcoming evil so I would love to see the second movie end with the victory at Helm's Deep.

The final movie I would do a lot of what Jackson done in the first but like the poster above I would try to do a little better job with the dead army. In the middle of the movie would be the war of the Ring and then Aragorn and his crew riding to the black gate and I would show the Mouth of Sauron meeting them in the theatrical version and not just the extended version and show the fall of Sauron in Mordor there and I believe it would have a lot more meaning of the evil that was overcome because of how the first movie shows the lengths that Sauron was willing to go to have Rule and dominion over all of Middle Earth. Of course I would show Aragorn being crowned King Elessar, but instead of paying omage to the Scouring of the Shire with a few seconds of a clip in Lady Galadriel's mirror I would show how Saruman actually died and the Shire got back its peace because with The Hobbit movies out now and doing a reboot people now know if they just watch the movies Saruman was a good guy at one time and he turned evil so I think it should be showed how he truly died & peace being restored in the Shire. And show those that got a ticket sailing off to the undying lands and everybody lives happily ever after.

That may be terrible but I've been up all night and it's 6:30 a.m. and that's what was off the top of my head LOL.... and what the heck maybe do a 4th movie showing how Samwise is voted Governor about nine times over the Shire LOL, I'd watch it.

PS: I'd love to see them take the silmarillion and maybe the unfinished Tales and do a cable series like Game of Thrones but minus all the nudity and foul mouth talking and I think they could make a great series with a lot of good episodes because there's so many little good stories in the silmarillion and I haven't read it in a long time but it seems like there's a lot of good stuff in the unfinished Tales and I would love to see that but I wouldn't want to see it if they were going to make it nasty like the Game of Thrones with all the nudity and profanity cuz I just don't think talking would go for that at all and I won't watch Game of Thrones because of it but that's just me

PostPosted: June 8th, 2016, 12:28 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Is this thread about re-doing the already movies or doing other Tolkien stories?

Also I think I read that the Tolkien Estate said no more movies.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2016, 4:50 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Generally speaking (and as far as I know), the Tolkien Estate cannot stop films based on The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings. The film rights to these books were sold back when Tolkien was alive. However, I don't think anyone can adapt any of the posthumously published texts, including the constructed Silmarillion and constructed Children of Hurin. So far, the Tolkien Estate has shown no interest in selling the film rights to these tales and texts.

Peter Jackson put his little toe into Unfinished Tales in The Hobbit when he had Ian M. refer to the "blue" wizards, as their blueness is not referenced in The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings (and in any case Tolkien wrote a letter in which he stated that he doubted that the colours of the other two wizards were known, his letter post-dating the "blue" wizard text).

Anyway, I'm no lawyer but I think if someone buys the film rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (again, which rights are not held by the Tolkien Estate anyway), and goes through all the "legal whatever", other films could be made based on these works.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2016, 12:54 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Thranduil wrote:
Is this thread about re-doing the already movies or doing other Tolkien stories?

I was thinking the six books of Lord of the Rings, relatively the same scope the PJ Boyens mess tried to cover.
It's fun to read thoughts on other tales as well though.
:)

Thranduil wrote:
Also I think I read that the Tolkien Estate said no more movies.

:confused2: Good grief.... after two posts, someone brings in the lawyers. :frust: How about try having some fun with this? :yes:

I have several ideas on this and will get to posting them here, but for now I will say that if I were to keep most things the same but could change one thing, I would alter the PJ Boyens screenplay. I would get rid of Arwen catching Aragorn off his guard, but would add some Arwen in later in Two Towers. I would write in the Northern Kingdom and the Dunedain Rangers being more than one man, and include at least one son of Elrond, if not two. They would ride south with Arwen(!) which would give the warrior she-elf fans something not so far out of possibility. She could bring Aragorn the banner and/or the sword. I would rework the whole Saruman/Theoden/Grima dynamic as well. More screenplay later! :)

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 14th, 2016, 6:37 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Interesting. lol

Honestly there are very few things I would change. There are a few places I might stick closer to the book. I would love to see more of Beorn in the hobbit and would love to see Tom Bombadil in the LOTR. Other such simple examples might be included.

I would probably re-cast a few of the actors/actresses. (Don't shoot me Liv Tyler fans) Arwen would be played by someone else, (And now for the one that will really make people like "WHA?!?!" O_@ ) I would find a different actor for Legolas and possibly frodo.

Frodo was good as played I just feel like he was lacking a little something for like-ability in some scenes for the non-Elijah Wood crazed fan girls. A lot of people loved him, though... so it may be just me.

I also would have drawn a little more of a line between the ability of the fellowship. I understand PJ tried to "even them out" so they were all comparable etc... But as much as I love Gimli there is honestly no way he could have got as many kills at Helms Deep as Legolas. (If for no other reason because Legolas was killing critters from before Gimli's axe could even touch them due to his bow and arrows)

Aragorn, I feel was very well casted for his combat role. I would't want him to seem, "untouchable" but I might make him a little more "renown" in some way... not sure how at this point. Something befitting a king. Maybe something like his courage to seek the army of the dead when even Legolas and Gimli were afraid to enter in the movie, but more of it or something else similar.

I'd also add more wargs.... simply because I love wargs and think they are cool. lol

However, speaking of Aragorn and wargs.... when he was thrown off the cliff by the warg (his hand caught in the strap) it seemed to inconsistent with his "Hero fighter abilities," in my opinion. I would have changed that to something a little more formidable so it keeps him at a high skill level consistent with the rest of his military performance.

I may have added more of Brego too after that point, showing a stronger bond between him and Aragorn just for a short diversion and character to the horse and his rider.

*shrugs*

Lots of little ideas such as these. lol All in all, though.... I may scrap most of them after I saw them and say, "Stick with the masterpiece that PJ made!" lol

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: June 15th, 2016, 1:24 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Jax Nova wrote:
I would probably re-cast a few of the actors/actresses. (Don't shoot me Liv Tyler fans) Arwen would be played by someone else, (And now for the one that will really make people like "WHA?!?!" O_@ ) I would find a different actor for Legolas and possibly frodo.

Jax you and I think similarly here. Out of all the casting in LotR, the actors of these three, and possibly Denethor, would be changed. The scripting for Denethor and Faramir would be re-written as well. It would have been quite easy to have the screenplay follow the books much closer and still have a great flowing movie.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 16th, 2016, 5:52 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

*nods* I agree that it would have been fairly easy to get a little closer to the book. I understand like Tom bombadil being cut in some ways, I just love his character. But on screen it just doesn't make as much sense.

Other moments I think would be much easier to keep, however.

As far as Denathor goes, I thought he played the roll well but it would not hurt my feelings if someone re-cast him. I'm not fond of the actor necessarily.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2016, 10:14 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Just dropping a note here to say I think Kathryn Winnick would portray Eowyn fantastically! She does a wonderful job as Legertha in The Vikings, I think she would nail the intricacy of the Eowyn character!

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 6th, 2016, 5:06 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Hm. Never seen her play in anything but by her looks I could see her fitting the role.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 1:08 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I've always thought that Anne Hathaway would have been a wonderful choice for Arwen.

I've never been keen on Liv Tyler who looks too much like her father to represent the most beautiful Elf-maiden of her Age.

Similarly, I wasn't able to really accept Cate Blanchett as Galadriel. Too old for my taste.

One of the interesting things about elves being immune from aging, or more accurately, aging so slowly that it would be difficult to see the changes in physiology, is that parents and mature offspring would actually look no older than each other.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 2:24 pm 
Istari
Istari

That would be an interesting take to use. Have the Hobbits confused because they all look the same lol.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 5:31 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Indeed Shieldmaiden! Hanasian and I had a lengthy topic discussing just that a ways back... it really does not make sense to the "older" looking elves.

On that note, I must agree with Cate Blanchet (And all the older looking "elves")

PostPosted: July 8th, 2016, 1:20 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Or an elf with a receding hairline ... not that I'm mentioning any names.

I also found said nameless actor had a hard time overcoming his Smith persona, and I kept thinking he would multiply.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2016, 10:37 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Lol, yes that too. I don't kow him from his Smith persona but the receding hairline thing defenitely I found odd and just how old he kind of looked. Even from the first time I watched it I found it odd because I knew elves were not supposed to age like normal people so I was like, "Is he really really old?"

Then my sister was like, "Not for an elf... in fact he really shouldn't look any older than Arwen or any of the other elves."

Then I was like... "Well that's dumb..." lol