Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: War in the North
PostPosted: December 28th, 2011, 9:06 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Has anyone played the new LOTR game War in the North?

Post subject: Re: War in the North
PostPosted: December 29th, 2011, 2:19 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I have it on PC. I have a laptop thats over 2 years old so I had a lot of lag and couldn't enjoy the game so I stopped and am waiting until I buy a new desktop.

"What? In riddles? No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." -Gandalf

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2012, 12:12 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I got it for Xbox 360. So far I've loved it. Story seemed really short, but that might have something to do with the fact that I couldn't put it down! There are a few things that I didn't like about it, but the things I like about it greatly outweigh the things I dislike.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: January 21st, 2012, 1:34 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

If you've ever played the game Champions of Norath or Champions Return to Arms for the Play Station 2, the customization system is kind of like that where you have slots for your armor and weapons, and different tabs for your items, skill levels, and such, in your start menu. (And half your screen in the menu, and the other half shows your character). But the way you interact with other characters is a lot like Dragon Age in the fact that you have quite a bit of sway where the conversation goes depending on your answer.

The controls for the game are easy and feel natural(I've played games where it was like "Why is that the control to do that???") And it's really easy to do some neat combos, and if you time it right, some awesome finishing moves.

And honestly, I like the multiplayer options. MOST if not all RPG based games have required two players using the same console to share the same screen in which case they have to stick closer together and it gets really annoying. This one is split screen. And one person can't hog all the gold because an enemy will drop gold for each screen that the other screen can't see.

For online, basically you have people playing one of the other characters to go through the game. I found this VERY helpful while going through the game. I got stuck in two places on my own and I switched to online mode and got through it (Not only because the people who helped me ended up as higher level then my NPCs but also because actual people playing are better then NPCs). And each of the three characters has a way to unlock secret room and you can't unlock all secret levels until you've played as each of the characters.

My thing is... you only have those three characters(but then again, you only have like 4 to choose from in Champions of Norath, or one also like it called Dark Alliance which is also for the Play Station 2.)

I love the visuals most of all. The scenery is beautiful. (Even on my stinkin little tv) The mountain valley view from the balconies of Rivendell were amazing. But then you turn around and find yourself in the Barrow-Downs and it's creepiness. My little brother was watching and had to leave the room because he was starting to get a little creeped out. But I didn't find it that creepy, but I don't get creeped out easily, BUT I did jump when whites went skittering across my path unexpectedly with tense music and then when I went to follow they weren't there(a classic scare, right?).

I really liked the game a lot, but then again, I'm not very critical of stuff. I just had a lot of fun with it and couldn't put it down until next thing I knew the credits were rolling... so I decided to play it on the next hardest level. (Silly me had played it on normal my first go through and what do you know, I got my but whooped at certain points, but it probably would have been too easy on normal. But I'm the one who, when I first got my Xbox 360 and wasn't used to xbox controls(I had been a Play Station girl all my life before that point playing PSP and PS2 and wanting a PS3, but I couldn't pass up a new 360 slim with two controllers, 14 games, and an HDMI cord for $200USD XD) I put in Devil May Cry 4 and put it on hard mode without thinking(it said 'this mode for those new to demon hunting' and 'this mode for those who have fought demon hoards before' and my train of thought was "Well, I've beat DMC 1 and 3(not 2... I know what 2 is about and stuff and it really didn't appeal or make sense to me. It was just so random), so I've already fought hoards of demons) So I stuck it on hard and... BIG mistake... But hey, I beat it... wait... I haven't yet... I beat Nero's story now I have to finish Dante's story....

But that's off track.
Anyway, I loved War in the North! Right now a friend of mine is playing it.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: January 21st, 2012, 8:57 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Eruraina wrote:
I love the visuals most of all. The scenery is beautiful. (Even on my stinkin little tv) The mountain valley view from the balconies of Rivendell were amazing. But then you turn around and find yourself in the Barrow-Downs and it's creepiness. My little brother was watching and had to leave the room because he was starting to get a little creeped out. But I didn't find it that creepy, but I don't get creeped out easily, BUT I did jump when whites went skittering across my path unexpectedly with tense music and then when I went to follow they weren't there(a classic scare, right?).

I thought the visuals were amazing too, even on my old laptop that constantly had lag. The Barrow-Downs even freaked me out a little bit, but they were awesome. Quite possibly my favorite place (at least so far). I just bought a new computer yesterday so I should be able to play it without it being extremely lagtastic. However, Skyrim is keeping the bulk of my attention at the moment.

"What? In riddles? No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." -Gandalf