Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can someone translate these Elvish runes?
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2006, 7:22 pm 
Maia
Maia

I need a translation please, my friend sent me this in Elvish code, and she says whenever I find someone to translate it for me, to give them a cookie. :) [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2006, 8:02 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I believe your friend has written out Namárië from The Fellowship of the Ring (this page ending at line 9 - 'An sí Tintallë Varda Oiolossëo').
But I think there are quite a few mistakes in it such as the wrong vowel tehta being used sometimes.
And it's quite different to Tolkien's own tengwar version which you can see here on the cover of the book The Road Goes Ever On:
(Click on image to get a bigger version.)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2006, 9:42 pm 
Vala
Vala

I'll get on it! I feel horrible. I can write perfectly weel in tengwar, but I don't know all the symbols so I can't translate these things well. BUt I do have a sheet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2006, 10:14 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Oho! Were you the 'friend'? :)
Don't feel horrible - I didn't want to make anyone feel bad. :hug:
Your calligraphy is very pretty and I could work out what the words were.

I find Dan Smith's tengwar charts one of the easiest to use, have you seen them?
http://www.acondia.com/fonts/tengwar/info/quenya.htm

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2006, 11:43 pm 
Vala
Vala

Okay. I checked my cheat sheet, and this is what I got.

Ay lawira alnat alsis usirenn aynat eyin uenitem ew aramay alern. Iyin ew iledh uyalr awiner. In ooranir ileinorowear adne eplea awor et leuanr. Un liwin ayesn itidhalr i elin oanroy itidhalr i elin oanroy ayratirlirenn. Is amm i uylam inn i enakwnotaf (I don't know this letter. its the one that looks like a B with a tail.) An is itnatel arnar orooleso.

Fencing Maiden, I think your friend may be a little wrong. The tengwar in Nulómiel's post has the line "'An sí Tintallë Varda Oiolossëo" And your friend has written "An is itnatel arnar orooleso." They are almost exactly the same, but your friend's vowels aren't laced correctly. Man, those vowels are hard to do.
Nulómiel's right, the script is the Namarie poem.

But Nulómiel, i'm not sure how correct that site is. I don't think they form thier vowels correctly either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2006, 12:12 am 
Maia
Maia

Nulómiel wrote:
Oho! Were you the 'friend'? :)
Don't feel horrible - I didn't want to make anyone feel bad. :hug:
Your calligraphy is very pretty and I could work out what the words were.

I find Dan Smith's tengwar charts one of the easiest to use, have you seen them?
http://www.acondia.com/fonts/tengwar/info/quenya.htm

Nope, though I wish I was! I haven't even the foggiest about Elvish Runes, though I would love to study them. Elvish using the English alphabet is as far as I've got. :confuzzled:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2006, 10:24 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

It seems whoever wrote it kept switching between the Quenya mode and a common mode. I read:

Ai! Lauria lan-ta las-si surinen, ain-ta eini ónotimë ve ramar aldron! Aini ve lintë oildar avniér, mi oromardi lis-së mirovoréva, ndané pelleá Vardo tellumar, nu liuni aissen tintilar í eleni, ómaroi airetarilrinen, si man í uilma min en-quan-tuva? an si Tin-talë mara Orolossëo,

It's confusing; sometimes the writer uses Quenya -nt-, which means he/she is aware of it, but at other times uses n+t... Sometimes the writer uses _yanta_ for dipthongs, as is noted in Quenya, but other times tries to use it for y+... ???

As for Nulómiel's link, the vowels are fine: in different modes the vowels are either on the preceding tengwa or the following; in Quenya it's the preceding whereas in Sindarin and English use it's the opposite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10th, 2006, 5:39 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Don't ask me about anything elvish. i don't know how to read, write, or do anything with elven languages. Though I really, really want to.

ImageImage