Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help from Arwen-Undomiel
PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 11:45 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I have just read our emails here at A-U, and someone has asked for help regarding a name translation for a client who wants a tattoo bearing her son's name in Elvish.

Can anyone here help?

Quote:
I have been commissioned to create an Elvish tattoo for a client, of her son's name Aaron. I have researched the meaning of the name to Mountain of Strength. You have translated Aaron to Calanon, but when I looked up the words separately on the Elvish dictionary website they were Oron -o Polod.
Please could you help me to fibd out the correct translation so that my client's tattoo is correct?

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Help from Arwen-Undomiel
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 8:26 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Here is what Ales Bican suggests for Aaron (at his site ELM). This is Quenya:

AARON - perhaps Heb. 'enlightened one'; nóla "wise, learned", quen "one", so Nólaquen.

From a quick look at various websites I have found a number of only possible meanings. Here is but one entry, which also contains 'mountain' at least: 'From the Hebrew name (...) which is most likely of unknown Egyptian origin. Other theories claim a Hebrew derivation, and suggest meanings such as "high mountain" or "exalted".

Anyway, considering the general conclusion that the meaning is unknown for certain, I'm not sure you can necessarily be wrong with any of them.

Perhaps *Orontar 'Mountain' plus -tar 'high', as in 'exalted' [if we may use it this way as a suffix that is, as at the moment I can't recall other examples] -- as a prefix compare Tolkien's Tareldar 'High Elves'.

Not perfect, but not nothing :)

Post subject: Re: Help from Arwen-Undomiel
PostPosted: May 9th, 2013, 11:15 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

So, how would you tell this person what to use for the tattoo? I'm not great with languages, so I'm not sure what's the best way to repsond to her/

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW