Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: TRANSLATIONS -- All need for translations post here!
PostPosted: December 29th, 2012, 5:31 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Kraken wrote:
I am kind of digging nethryn, since I work for a web development company. Any further comments on this one from the Arwen-Undomiel crew?

Hmmm.... My only quibble is that "nathron" is masculine. Hypothetically, the genderless version would be "Nathor" (with plural "Nethyr"). It is a good word for websters.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 12:24 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Hi all! May someone help me translate the name "Ashton" into Sindarin and/or Quenya? I saw the one under the male Elvish names, but I was wondering if there is a different version if the name is for a female? If not, then I apologize! Thank you. :)

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 12:34 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

OOps. Unintentional double post. See below Ashton :)

Last edited by Elthir on January 22nd, 2013, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 12:34 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Currently this site lists Ashton 'town of Ash trees' and suggests 'Lithaldoren'. That suggestion aside, is a 'tree word' really in there? Perhaps the name refers to trees but it seems made up of 'ash + town'.

Anyway, Ales Bican's Quenya book of names lists: ASHTON (m.) - 'ash + town'; litse "ash" (see ASHLEY), -os "town", so Litsos. I would recommend that rather. And I don't see the Quenya version as necessarily masculine or feminine, unless I'm missing something.

Or maybe Sindarin *Lithobel?

Primary stress on first syllable. Here I'm using gobel. In his unfinished index Tolkien notes: 'Rhosgobel as 'russet village or town (enclosure).'

PostPosted: March 10th, 2013, 1:48 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

i need a lot of words translated. o got a hole song and stuff. my school is putting on a movie with planty of elvish in it, i want the elvish to be correct. it makes me kinda frustrated :grr: is there a way to do the work myself ?

PostPosted: March 10th, 2013, 11:29 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Lady-earendil,

Not even Tolkien could speak any of his Elvish languages fluently, as it was never his goal to make such a thing possible. Often enough what you can find on the web and in the films is fan invented Neo-elvish, and if you want an entire song translated (assuming it is relatively long) for example, even if you get someone to translate it into Neo-elvish, in my opinion the result is unlikely to be something that Tolkien himself would have invented.

If you want the Elvish to be correct for your film I would advise that you consider using Tolkien's own examples from the books. For more on this topic, see...

http://www.elvish.org/FAQ.html

PostPosted: April 12th, 2013, 7:38 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Please! I really need someone to translate something I wrote into Sindarin Elvish! PM me if you would be able to do this.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 16th, 2013, 12:11 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Location: Rivendell, Lorien or Mirkwood; wherever there are any elves :)

Umm I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out my name in Sindarin? Message me if you think you might be able to help :). Thanks!

PostPosted: July 15th, 2013, 12:45 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a translation question that I hope someone may be willing to help me with. An acquaintance of mine wants an elvish inscription engraved on her wedding band; she wants, "You are always in my fluff thoughts." Before learning it was to be engraved in gold I came up with "natyë úlumë mi ilaurëa nothathinya" (you are always in my daily/everyday/general thoughts) using the colloquial "nothath" as opposed to a word for deep profundity and adding an i for smoothness before the -nya ending, but was told, no, it needs to have "fluff" in there...
Scratching my head, I tried "uë" (fleece) and "tithenuë" (tiny fleece)...and that's when I learnt it was for a wedding band, and registered here. I'll translate for RPGs, but not for something that important. Anyway, thanks in advance, and I hope someone is willing to have a go at it.

Edit: Been poking at this a bit more. I'm pretty sure this is correct, and in proper Quenya (not the hodge-podge of Quenya-Sindarin-Noldorin I use for games, to get enough vocabulary...) all but changing "fleece" into "fleecy". Can't find a reference on how to do that.

nalyë úlumë mi uë sanwinya

Edit 2: nalyë úlumë mi toa sanwinya You are always in my woollen/woolly thoughts. Does anyone see any errors in that, or a closer synonym that's verified?

PostPosted: August 6th, 2013, 2:27 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Please help! this has been a real frustration for me. I just can't translate it. I pray you will help me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2013, 7:30 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

If that is Aragorn's sword from the films this inscription [language is Quenya] is supposed to read:

Narsil essenya, macil meletya; Telchar carnéron Návarotesse -- 'Narsil [is] my name, [a] mighty sword; Telchar made me in Nogrod'

PostPosted: February 5th, 2014, 8:10 am 
Elf
Elf

What is "darkness is coming" in sindarin or quenya? Can anyone please help me?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 6th, 2014, 9:48 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I would guess [Neo-Sindarin]: tôl dúath

In The War of the Jewels we find Tolkien's tôl acharn 'vengeance comes' [the verb appears first in this Sindarin example, as in my suggestion], although according to the same source this was later changed to tûl acharn by Tolkien.

Hmm. Anyway I'm not sure if this verb can also stand for English 'is coming' but I think the meaning is close enough in any case.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 8:31 am 
Elf
Elf

Hannon le, Elthir.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 11:22 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

You're welcome [I hope my suggestion is correct enough] :)

And I'm not trying to correct you with respect to 'hannon le' for 'I thank you' because I know plenty of people employ it despite the following, but just in case some are unaware, this is an interesting Neo-Sindarin illustration.

Quote:
(...) It was John Garth who first noted that the Quenya word han *'beyond,' and its apparent source, the CE root √han- 'add to, increase, enhance, honour (espec. by gift),' published in connection with Tolkien's Quenya translations of the Lord's Prayer, likely provided the actual source of Q. *hanta‑ 'thank,' in the sense 'to increase, magnify, honor, glorify' < CE *hantā‑.

Shortly after this, Bertrand Bellet noted the implication of this newly attested root and derivation for "Neo-Sindarin" *hanna‑ 'thank,' pointing out that since CE *h‑ disappears in Sindarin, CE *hantā‑ would yield S. *anna‑, not *hanna‑. But anna‑ already exists as a Sindarin verb, for 'give.' And so the "Neo-Sindarin" reconstruction *hanna‑ 'thank' and its signature phrase hannon le 'I thank you' disappear in a puff of phonology.

Carl Hostetter, Elvish as She Is Spoke

That's only part of the commentary. If interested, check out...

http://www.elvish.org/articles/EASIS.pdf

PostPosted: March 24th, 2014, 7:56 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Hello! Would someone be able to translate a few words/phrases for me (in both Sindarin and Quenya if possible)? And how would they look written in Tengwar? Thank you in advance! :)

- Glory
- Blood is the price of glory
- Elven

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next