Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Confusing Elvish
PostPosted: July 27th, 2006, 11:31 pm 
Elf
Elf

I've been confused over something Elvish for a while: What is the difference between Quenya and Sindarin? Is it the culture that speaks it? Or what? I need answers desperately!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2006, 11:36 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Quote:
The language of the Grey-elves of Beleriand and most commonly used of the Elf-tongues in Middle-earth. When the Noldor returned to Middle-earth at the beginning of the First Age, Thingol decreed that their tongue, Quenya, was not to be spoken in his realms. So the language of his people, Sindarin, came to dominate. Quenya, though, was still used as a language of ceremony and poetry.

Sindarin shared common roots with Quenya, and the two languages had many similar words. Sindarin was said to be more changeful than the older tongue, however, and there were a number of regional 'dialects' of the tongue. The Sindarin spoken in Doriath was said to be the highest and most noble form of the language.

Quote:
The tongue of the High Elves in Valinor, the first to be recorded in writing. It was never widely used in Middle-earth except among the Noldor; the related Eldarin language, Sindarin, was more commonly spoken.

By the Third Age, Quenya had become, in Middle-earth, a language used only on formal or state occasions by the Elves and the descendants of the Númenóreans

Anyhoo I hope that helps you!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2006, 11:38 pm 
Elf
Elf

Haldir o Lórien wrote:
Quote:
The language of the Grey-elves of Beleriand and most commonly used of the Elf-tongues in Middle-earth. When the Noldor returned to Middle-earth at the beginning of the First Age, Thingol decreed that their tongue, Quenya, was not to be spoken in his realms. So the language of his people, Sindarin, came to dominate. Quenya, though, was still used as a language of ceremony and poetry.

Sindarin shared common roots with Quenya, and the two languages had many similar words. Sindarin was said to be more changeful than the older tongue, however, and there were a number of regional 'dialects' of the tongue. The Sindarin spoken in Doriath was said to be the highest and most noble form of the language.

Quote:
The tongue of the High Elves in Valinor, the first to be recorded in writing. It was never widely used in Middle-earth except among the Noldor; the related Eldarin language, Sindarin, was more commonly spoken.

By the Third Age, Quenya had become, in Middle-earth, a language used only on formal or state occasions by the Elves and the descendants of the Númenóreans

A little, but I'm still confused. How can you tell the difference in the films?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2006, 11:42 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

In the films? I suppose you just have to actually know the languages to tell them apart ... the thing is, most of the Elvish in the movies are Sindarin ... only a bit is Quenya.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2006, 11:44 pm 
Elf
Elf

Ok, thanks a lot! Ok, mods, you may delete or iLock this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2006, 11:45 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

One more thing ... this may help you with the Elvish in the movies ;) ::

http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/movie_elvish.htm

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2006, 4:17 am 

Aravis of Archenland wrote:
Haldir o Lórien wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

A little, but I'm still confused. How can you tell the difference in the films?

You can tell the difference because they sound different. As Haldir says most of the Elvish in the movies is Sindarin, but there are a couple of Quenya line. I find that Sindarin sounds alot smoother, whereas Quenya seems to have more 'edges' to it.

Just though I'd put my twopenneths in here, it probably won't help you much. :P