Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If Boromir had lived thought.
PostPosted: July 1st, 2019, 9:11 pm 
Istari
Istari

I wasn't sure what thread this would best fit so I'm just putting it here.

I saw this video the other day and got to thinking about this. You don't have to watch the whole video of course but just for context, here is the video.

With Aragorn as king, if Boromir had survived it would have been kind of cool if Aragorn had set another throne on the other side of the steps and had Boromir and Faramir on each side. Just a cool image I thought of when you would enter the throne room. Of course he would probably have another throne beside his for Arwen.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: If Boromir had lived thought.
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2019, 9:31 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

I doubt that Aragorn would have had any use for our (by now by serious and disparate overuse meaningless) term “cool”. ;-)

Anyway, as the stewardship had become hereditary like the kingship over a thousand years ago (surprisingly not that long before the stewards became Ruling Stewards in 2050 TA, though the Kings of Gondor had chosen their stewards from the descendants of Húrin of Emyn Arnen since about the middle of the 17th century of the Third Age – but that had been the personal choice of the respective king). So Boromir would have been (now non-ruling) steward, and I would rather expect that the plain “non-throne” that we find Denethor II sitting on when Gandalf and Pippin enter the throne room at the beginning of RoTK would have been removed. I would guess that Faramir, though not steward due to primogeniture, could very well have been a more influential advisor to Aragorn (at least in some areas) than Boromir. On the other hand, not all fighting had come to an end with the downfall of Barad-dûr until Aragorn could establish a “Pax Gondoria”, so Boromir’s undisputed prowess as a warrior and general would very likely have led to his being entrusted with not a few of these “mopping-up” operations.

As to Arwen … on her daddy’s side she shares a common heritage with Aragorn (64 generations down from Elros in terms of rulers of Númenor, then Elendil and Isildur and the kings, then chieftains of Arnor and Arthedain, as I once counted in my older paperback version of Robert Foster “Guide”). But on mommy’s side she is descended from grandma Galadriel (and don’t discount Celeborn’s ancestry too hastily), which brings in Telerin and more to the point Vanyarin royal houses. In one sense Arwen and Aragorn’s son Eldarion was the most noble human of all time, topping dad, in having the three royal houses of both the Edain and the Eldar as ancestors – often the actual kings. Need to widen that throne to accommodate both Aragorn and Arwen, or similar measures …

PostPosted: July 6th, 2019, 6:45 pm 
Istari
Istari

Gandolorin wrote:
I doubt that Aragorn would have had any use for our (by now by serious and disparate overuse meaningless) term “cool”. ;-)

Anyway, as the stewardship had become hereditary like the kingship over a thousand years ago (surprisingly not that long before the stewards became Ruling Stewards in 2050 TA, though the Kings of Gondor had chosen their stewards from the descendants of Húrin of Emyn Arnen since about the middle of the 17th century of the Third Age – but that had been the personal choice of the respective king). So Boromir would have been (now non-ruling) steward, and I would rather expect that the plain “non-throne” that we find Denethor II sitting on when Gandalf and Pippin enter the throne room at the beginning of RoTK would have been removed. I would guess that Faramir, though not steward due to primogeniture, could very well have been a more influential advisor to Aragorn (at least in some areas) than Boromir. On the other hand, not all fighting had come to an end with the downfall of Barad-dûr until Aragorn could establish a “Pax Gondoria”, so Boromir’s undisputed prowess as a warrior and general would very likely have led to his being entrusted with not a few of these “mopping-up” operations.

As to Arwen … on her daddy’s side she shares a common heritage with Aragorn (64 generations down from Elros in terms of rulers of Númenor, then Elendil and Isildur and the kings, then chieftains of Arnor and Arthedain, as I once counted in my older paperback version of Robert Foster “Guide”). But on mommy’s side she is descended from grandma Galadriel (and don’t discount Celeborn’s ancestry too hastily), which brings in Telerin and more to the point Vanyarin royal houses. In one sense Arwen and Aragorn’s son Eldarion was the most noble human of all time, topping dad, in having the three royal houses of both the Edain and the Eldar as ancestors – often the actual kings. Need to widen that throne to accommodate both Aragorn and Arwen, or similar measures …

Some really good thoughts on this. Thank you.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 13th, 2019, 6:40 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

If Boromir had lived, I imagine that Aragorn would've made Boromir and Faramir both stewards except for different regions. Since Aragorn is the King of the Reunited Kingdom, he could have had two stewards instead of one. For example, I think Aragorn would've made Boromir the Steward of Arnor and Faramir the Steward of Gondor. This could've been a reflection of Isildur and Anárion, they were both brothers and rulers of Arnor and Gondor whereas Aragorn could've been a reflection of Elendil who was also titled as "The High King of Two Kingdoms".

In my humble opinion, I think J.R.R. Tolkien missed a pretty interesting opportunity for a potential future for Boromir.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2019, 3:04 pm 
Istari
Istari

Lady-Hrothflæd wrote:
If Boromir had lived, I imagine that Aragorn would've made Boromir and Faramir both stewards except for different regions. Since Aragorn is the King of the Reunited Kingdom, he could have had two stewards instead of one. For example, I think Aragorn would've made Boromir the Steward of Arnor and Faramir the Steward of Gondor. This could've been a reflection of Isildur and Anárion, they were both brothers and rulers of Arnor and Gondor whereas Aragorn could've been a reflection of Elendil who was also titled as "The High King of Two Kingdoms".

In my humble opinion, I think J.R.R. Tolkien missed a pretty interesting opportunity for a potential future for Boromir.

Yeah those are really good ideas! Yeah I would have been interested in what might have been.

Profile       WWW