Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your LotR A-U username
PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 5:15 am 

I've been wondering how people pronounce their LotR-usernames as I'm pretty sure it's usually very different from what I would do.
Also, you can post what your name means or why you chose it.

I'm Eä. It's pronounced like two short vowels with a slight stress on the E as in the word eventually. The ä is pronounced like an open a (like apple).
At least that's the way I say it. :P

By the way, it has nothing to do with EA games (note the ä ;)) Eä is linked to my tagger/RP name Eleniel Ancalima and according to the Silmarilion also the first word ever spoken (by Ilúvatar) when the world was created . It means "Be" or the Let it be.

Quote:
Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be; and those of you that will may go down into it. And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame; and they knew that this was no vision only, but that Ilúvatar had made a new thing: Eä, the World that is.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject: Re: Your LotR A-U username
PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 6:36 am 
Istari
Istari

I use in internet only few names and each consist Morgana, that is: Morgana, Morgie, Hobbit Morgana, Morgana Le Fay or Voodoo Morgana.

Morgana is my nickname I made for myself when I first joined internet 8 years ago. I don't want to change it because its part of me. When Morgana is taken I choose one of aboves :)

Its spelled as normally you spell Morgana, its rather simple name. ^^

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 12:20 am 

I pronounce my name "Tar-kwen-day," though I think perhaps it's supposed to be something like "Towr-kwen-day." I was looking for a translation of "wood elf" into elvish and got Taurquende, though it was kind of a bogus translation generator and now I think it might actually be a hybrid of Sindarin and Quenya. But I like it anyway. :)

Eä wrote:
I'm Eä. It's pronounced like two short vowels with a slight stress on the E as in the word eventually. The ä is pronounced like an open a (like apple).
At least that's the way I say it. :P

For years I used to think it was pronounced just like "E" the letter and I totally ignored the "ä", but then I bought the Silmarillion audiobook heard the narrator said Eä the way you described it. I've been trying to break the habit but I still think Ee a lot. :P

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 4:30 am 

True, true. I've been wondering how people would pronounce my name. Most of the time I tend to pronounce LotR-names the way Danish vowels sound... which is usually similar to English but yet not quite the same.

I had a dream once that a bunch of us met up for a huge LotR/A-U gathering and I felt so awkward because I didn't know how to actually pronounce peoples' names because I'm used to only typing them, not saying them out loud. :teehee:

I've always liked your name, Taur. It's pretty and I've been pronouncing it something of a mix between the two.

@Morgana: I was wondering if your name came from the Arthurian Legends and in that case why you chose it. Especially, after the tv-series Merlin came out.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 4:42 am 
Istari
Istari

Eä wrote:
@Morgana: I was wondering if your name came from the Arthurian Legends and in that case why you chose it. Especially, after the tv-series Merlin came out.

Yes, its indeed from Arthurian Legends, I chose it after the movie Merlin with Sam Neil and Helena Bohnam Carter, which is one of my all time favourite movies. To be honest, I hate TV-series-Merlin Morgana ;-)

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 12:13 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Linaea (Linnaea, Linea etc.) derives from the scientist/botanist Linnaeus, who invented the Linnaean system of classifying plants and flowers. Articles I've found online say both the flower of similarly spelled names, as well as the Linden Tree, are named after him. It's funny, because the connection for me personally is to the Wood, but I had the name before I knew what it meant! I'm slowly working on a fantasy fiction manuscript about The Lady in the Tree. But her name in my story is Eithne, and she's not a Linden Tree! Note to self: maybe this is a clue that she IS a Linden Tree :)

But there is definitely something very personal about my relationship to The Wood. I'm almost 60 (my 60th birthday is on 11-11-11) yet I'm only beginning to better understand it. Maybe the old saying about babies and older people being closer to spirit because they are closer to spiritual realms is true!

The name Linayha literally came to me out of the blue many years ago. Back then I spelled it with an h, and pronounced it Lin- AY - ha, with hard emphasis on that h. But now I pronounce it Lin - AY - ah.

For a really long time my online name was always Morgancraft. Morgan was the name of my beloved stuffed dog when I was very small, and I was and am very crafty (knit, crochet, that kind of stuff). But I don't use that one much anymore. People change, and I kind of outgrew it, I think!

Well, that, plus some guy really named Morgan Craft emailed me one time and asked why I kept using his name online!!!

Sorry I got so long-winded, but that was fun :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 4:48 pm 
Elf
Elf

Ea- I read your name as Ayah initially, then I heard it pronounced Eeay, and now I finally know the propper way :D

Morgana- I looooove the Sam Neil Merlin, it's by far my fav adaptation, and imo HBC's best role!! Plus there's Cersei!Guinivere & Miranda Richardson, and Isabella Rosellini!! it's amazing

As for my name- I think it's pretty straightforward to pronounce (no I'm not gonna get nitpicky like Elijah and Sean did on the EE commentaries and say its Laaaaambus). I picked it mainly because it's available, and because I was getting tired of using the name of my Elf RP Charrie Italide (It-al-eeday not It-al-eed for the record) as I'd used that name on every other Lotr site I'd joined. It was only after I'd picked the name, that someone said it was like calling yourself "Toast" which I thought was kinda hilarious :D

PostPosted: July 21st, 2011, 1:57 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

:p Lembas: Toast! That's too funny!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2011, 12:58 am 
Istari
Istari

Hmm... My name has an odd history... I was originally RosieCotton30 on a lot of other boards, and when I left them under uncomfortable circumstances I decided to choose another name. Freya Baggins (pronounced Free-yah or Frey-ah) was my LOTR OC at the time, and I just chose to take her name. Over the years I outgrew it, but chose to keep it as it is my primary internet identity now. *shrug* Ok... so maybe not as odd as I thought...

The Seemingly Nice But Actually Really Nasty Nazgul
School ate my life. *sigh*

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 5:45 am 
Istari
Istari

After few years (which was long time for me) I got bored of my username. I changed it to Smaug (and because on board was one Smaug already, I altered it to Magnificent Smaug).

I will be changing my name on my sites too, but I need time.

Hope you approve, mah dahlings :laughbounce:

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 6:15 am 
Elf
Elf

Ooooh I like the new name!!! Though I think Morgana has kinda stuck in my mind... maybe you'll be Morgie-Smaug from now on xD

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 6:26 am 

NOOOOOOO Morgana.. you're not Morgana anymore??? That is so confusing... now you'll just be MS.. which is like Mary-Sue.. :P But oh, well.. I shall try to remember this new name. :)

Yeah, I knew my name was difficult to pronounce.. at least for English speakers, because the vowels sound different, so in English it would be something like Ee-ay like Lembas suggested.. which is fine too, you may call me whatever. :)

Lembas = Toast = :lol:

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 9:00 am 
Istari
Istari

Smaug the Magnificent is not a Mary-Sue, he is magnificent! :lol:

I am glad that you like the new name! :laughbounce:

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 11:53 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I have always pronounced my screen name "Anne-cal-i-ma" in my head. I have known people to say "Anne-cal-ee-ma" but I don't think this sounds nearly as nice!

I took a liking to the word "ancalima" when I first saw/heard it in LotR, and I decided that if I ever needed a screen name, that would be it! I believe it means "brightest" in Sindarin, but this is only a guess on my part and if anyone knows differently feel free to correct me :)

We will meet again
When the seas and mountains fall
And we come to end of days...

PostPosted: August 13th, 2011, 2:22 pm 
Istari
Istari

Mine is my elvish name, Beriadin, but since Beriadin was already taken i used beriadinelf. pronounced bear-ee-a-deen

PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 9:11 am 
Elf
Elf

My username means Hope in Sindarin. It's pronounced 'harth-ad'. A few people asked me how it was pronounced, so now I'm clearing it up. :)

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW