Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Very Quick Note
PostPosted: September 4th, 2005, 3:44 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Please!! Nobody kill me!! :hide: And I swear it's only one little thing this time! It's just something that I've been noticing a little bit lately, and I just thought I would address it, and you can all ignore me if you want, but it's just something that maybe a few of you would like to just glance at...

Just a tiny thing here. Half-Elves were very, very rare. In the entire history of Middle Earth, the only account of a mortal and Elven marraige was with Beren and Luthien, and Arwen and Aragorn (and Thingol and Melian if you want to count them...but Thingol was a high Elf, and Melian was a Maiar, so it's a bit different...). Both of these things were purely destiny, and I ASSURE you it did not happen a lot. This has been a common argument for a long time, but the fact that I have recently been seeing a lot of these profiles floating around where a bunch of random characters running here and there are all Half-Elven...well, I just thought I would quick mention that it is not as simple as it may sound. Races do not mix that easily, and mortals actually tried to avoid too much contact with the Elves, for many reasons, but among one of them was indeed love. Elves did not readily make friends with mortal men because they knew that eventually they would die, and seeing as Elves are so tender-hearted...well, the loss of a friend would be terribly grievous. And that is why it is seen VERY often in fanfiction that Thranduil is very against Legolas having a friendship with Aragorn. Why? Because he doesn't want to see Legolas go through the grief of having to lose his best friend. So again, that is another reason why Elven and mortal marraiges were extremely rare.

Not that it couldn't happen...it's just that when it happens, it should really have a very good explanation to it, and also a reassurance that the birth of this Half-Elven child was a very...unusual thing indeed. Some of you may see that as a Mary-Sue waiting to happen, but like I said, [b]reasonable explanations change everything.[/i]

Thanks for hangin' in there with me guys! I know I'm probably annoying a lot of you...but I'm not trying to, believe me!

~Mevie

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2005, 6:41 am 

Mevie, I understand your concern, and I agree. But I think lots of people use RPGs to become who they wish they were, or to take on new identities, and we can't really stop them from playing characters that are far fetched, not unless the RPG specifies.
I know I'd rather play an everyday human, because it's more challenging, and one can really get a good background. But people have their preferences, and Elves are hard to play too.
So, thank you for trying to help. I think this issue might be best left alone, some RPG runners don't mind these sorts of characters.

Kudos to Kitoky for the fabulous signature set, and art credit to engelszorn.
Who wants to join me in bringing back the lady?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2005, 10:12 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Well, thanks for the note Nienor! :) And I thank you deeply for your opinion as well. And as I have said many times before, I am not pointing a finger nor blaming or coming down on anybody. These notes that I am leaving are for those who are just looking for a little advice on new ways to shape up their characters, make them original, etc. etc. And also for those RP'ers who really are kind of looking around for ways to make their characters more realistic/believable and all that stuff. Believe me, I've seen a lot of thetm. And many times before, I have even set up the little note that everyone is allowed to completely ignore me! There are indeed some very good half-elven characters out there, and I really don't mind it, it's just something perhaps for the new RPers to consider when they are making their new characters. It's not anything bad to be half-elven, after all, but I find that many people (from my own personal experience, and I've been hanging around the RP world a lot) seek to make their character half-elven because it will make them different from everybody else, and maybe stand out a little bit more. And one of my points here was that it's becoming a rather popular idea, so...like I said, it is merely something for anyone to consider. Otherwise, let your imagination run wild! :)

~Mevie

P.S. Another reason why I leave these notes is because I know several girls who like to come around from RP place to RP please turning everything into a Mary-Sue scrutiny and embaressing a lot of people. I guess I've gotten in the habit of trying to ward that sort of thing off with little "noties" now and then... :confused2: but I am very sorry if I have offended anyone. Have fun RP'ing! :bye2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 17th, 2005, 1:13 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I agree with you, Mevie, one of my pet peeves on RPGs (other than the bloodthirsty agents on the Matrix RP) is the great amount of people who make characters that are perfect beyond reason. (a stereotypical example) Mrs. Something-or-other-wen/iel Greenleaf-Elfstone. She is related to Elrond, Eowyn, Rosie Cotton, Frodo, Faramir, Galadriel, Merry, Pippin, and Goldberry. Her horse would die for a pat on the head from her. She can beat a Nazgul with one hand behind her back and can do virtually anything better than any man.
I try to make my character as normal as I can. I was going to make her half-elven, but, after your post, I think I will just choose one depending on the RP.

And the Grey Company ride from the North.
But dark is the path appointed for thee:
The Dead watch the road that leads to the Sea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 17th, 2005, 2:27 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Ugh...*shudders* I do know what you mean Iellwen. Perfection really can be the bane of a good character in my opinion. Thankfully it seems most of the girls in the RPG place have gotten that straight ;), but it can be a royal pain when you do come across someone like that. I think an example to set here from my personal experience was this one RPG character that was (try to follow me here): The daughter of Aragorn and Arwen, the girlfriend of Legolas, the wielder of the element of fire, a warrior of Rohan, had surpassing beauty given from her ancestor Luthien, rode some kind of horse that was related to Shadowfax, and a few other things that I can't remember. It just made my stomach do a few cartwheels on me. :confused2:

And I'm glad to hear you've got a character going! :) Sounds like you're a really great RP'er. And yeah, I agree with you when you say it depends on the RP, because it really does. I mean, the last thing you want to do is have a character who can only live by the Sea in an RP that takes place in the desert, for example. ;) Thanks for dropping the note by the way, I really appreciate it! :)

~Mevie

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2005, 7:50 pm 

i guess that is a really good point mind you I don't see many hobbits why not they happen to be THE best race in Middle Earth. Thats my opinion anyways.