Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently June 16th, 2024, 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~ The Inn By The Side Of The Road ~
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 8:15 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian looked over at Mariel before turning his gaze back to the hill. He said to Mariel and Lwelyn,

"It looks like the inn will be getting busy soon. Not sure who these guys are, what they want, or who they're after."

He looked at Mariel and wondered. They could be looking for a thief, or maybe something to do with the woman who came in this morning. The third option was they had found what he had found and are here to do the King's justice. Durian would wait and meet them at the door of the inn. he might even know some of them.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 5:49 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel wondered the same thing as her eyes shifted again to the oncoming group. She shivered as she thought of who they might be. She did not recognize any of them from this distance, and she held out hope that neither would they. Her eyes met Durian's again and she leaned towards him and spoke in a hushed voice.
"May I speak privately with you?"

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 6:30 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian looked hard at the riders. He counted six, but that does not mean there are more riding around to cover the east and the west of the road. Durian wondered also if the quick departure of Caira may have something to do with this, or she got word and escaped a trap? Too many questions!

Mariel looked at him and leaned in toward him. Ke was thinking it to be a strange time for a kiss unless she was leaving right away, but she slid her head beside his and spoke lightly in his ear. Durian nodded and said in an equally quiet voice to her ear,

”Yes, let us step around to the side of the inn. Probably best we can’t be seen by these approaching men.”

He took her hand and they stepped into the shade of the inn and he looked at her. He would miss her over the next three days.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 6:52 pm 
Ent
Ent

As they stepped into the shade, Mariel searched Durians' eyes then spoke in a whisper.
"I cannot be sure of it, but these men may be after me."
She shifted her gaze to his chest, then glanced back up at him.
"I may have...stolen from....the king."
Her eyes shifted again, but she quickly looked up at him again.
"It was not for my own gain, but rather for the one who my heart belonged too."

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 7:52 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian looked hard at Mariel. He did suspect, but to him, that didn’t matter. He brushed her cheek with his finger and said quietly,

”No, you didn’t steal from the King. If that were true, I, being a Dunedain Ranger and an officer of the King, would have to arrest you, and take you to Bree, if not Minas Tirith.”

He gave her a quick kiss to reassure her that was not going to happen. He then placed his hands gently to each side of her head and his eyes delved deep into hers. He said,

”So before I put rayed star brooch on, I am going to turn away and watch around the corner of the inn at those riders. When I again turn back to you, I will be the Dunedain Ranger, and I will have to search you as a suspect for stealing from the Realm. I do not expect I will find anything, will I.”

He brushed her ear and hair on the side of her head, and he turned away and looked around the corner of the inn. He hoped she would stow anything that she held that would incriminate her. Her other option would be to run. If she did that he would be obligated to go after her. Mariel had lifted the shadows from him. He didn’t want to see her arrested. He hoped these men weren’t here to find her, for he would have to stand between them. He took a deep breath, giving Mariel more time. But he would have to turn back soon, and he turned his brooch around in his hand….

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 9:09 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel contemplated her options as Durian placed his hands on either side of her head. If she outran him, he may not persist, but he would be obligated to report her and then she would be on the run for the rest of her life. But if she quickly hid her loot, she wouldn't have to live in fear. For now.
She watched as he turned to face the oncoming riders, and she knew that she had mere minutes before he turned around again. She had to make her decision. After only a moment, Mariel quickly turned around and looked for somewhere where she could hide her bag. She smiled in relief as she ran over to a bush nearby, then quickly but carefully hid her bag inside the dense bush.
As she stood up, she saw Durian move his brooch in his hand, so she calmly walked back to the spot where she stood then she leaned against the wall of the Inn as he turned to face her.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 9:47 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian listened as the rustle of Mariel behind him scrambled about. He twirled the brooch and considered his trust in her. She could have easily picked up the oak branch that lay by the inn and clubbed him with it, but if last night and this morning meant as much to her as it did to him, he had nothing to worry about. When it grew quiet again behind her, he slowly turned around. Mariel stood leaning against the wall of the inn, and he turned to her. He looked her over and he reached for the sleeve of her dress and pulled a seed that had lodged itself into the fabric. He pulled a few more out, and noted a few more where it would be inappropriate for a Dunedain Ranger, soldier of the realm, to touch. He smiled and noted her bag was gone. He stepped toward her and let his arms snake around her waist. Looking into he reyes, he said,

”Consider this a legal search.”

His hands drifted up her back and down her thighs. He then brushed his cheek to hers and whispered to her,

”Nothing that belongs to the realm.”

And he gently kissed the side of her neck. He then looked at her and said,

”I consider the matter closed. I will have to write a report when I’m next in Bree at the constabulary that I searched a suspected thief but found no evidence. Until then, I stand by you as innocent of all accusations.”

Durian smiled. He was going to miss her when she leaves.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 10:30 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel suppressed a mischievous smile as Durian picked the seeds from her sleeve, but blushed and opened her mouth in surprise as he searched her. Words of protest formed in her thoughts, but she found herself speechless as she felt his lips press gently against her soft neck.
When he looked into her eyes and smiled, she let out a breath and nodded.
"I'm sure the king would be astounded if he found out one of his officers was turning a blind eye to a thief..."
She smiled softly then glanced down at his brooch as thoughts of her brother and husband rose up within her. She blinked then looked back up at him and kissed him on the lips. Mariel quickly pulled away from him as she heard horse hooves rounding the corner. Atop the horse was a man clad in simple clothes with a cloak and brooch similar to Durians.
"Did I hear someone say 'thief'?"
The mans' voice rang out above them. Mariel quickly plastered on a flirtatous grin then leaned against Durian with her hands resting gently on his chest. As she addressed the man on horseback, she spoke with a slight slur to give the impression of drunkenness.
"Oh yes, sire. I have your thief right here. He has stolen many things from me, one of which is my heart....and my money. Can you tell him to return it to me?"

Last edited by Melanie on April 2nd, 2017, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 10:45 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian looked at the ranger and held out his brooch. He said to him as Mariel clutched him. He said,

”This lady lost her money fair and square, and it was not to me unfortunately.”

As Durian eyes the ranger, he said,

”You rode south during the war with Halbarad?”

The mounted ranger rode his horse around them as he looked first at Durian, then at Mariel.

(Lol! I caught you out while editing this time! No worries. I went with it. You can edit in your next post)

Last edited by Hanasian on April 2nd, 2017, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 10:54 pm 
Ent
Ent

(Oops, my fault! Actually...I think that add on in my previous post still works. I.E. The other officer coming up behind them and approaching them?)

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 11:12 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

(Sorry to keep falling behind. I had a full day. )

The old man smiled and nodded at Mariel. "I will gather my things and be on my way shortly. Don't bother with your horse, it will be better to walk."

He left to his room and a few minutes later headed out the door only to find Durian and Mariel in a discussion of sorts with some strange men. He eyed the men, then his would be companions.

"See here!" he said, exaggerating his elderly tone and feeble voice. "These two have responsibilities to help me on my dying request. I do hope you are not detaining them for anything. I fear my time is short and I dearly need their accompaniment."

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 7:48 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

"Two questions sir. What do you know about horses? And what do you know of the two sisters who run this place? The job I have is for someone to tend to my horse Stormer for the next day or two. Just feed her, water her, and walk her around some. She has a couple days of rest coming until her foot heals."

Lwelyn's eyes flickered, he knew horses. He knew them better than humans. The owners of the inn he knew nothing about, besides that they were too nice. He stood there, pondering the questions and how best to answer them. He must have waited too long, for the man excused himself and turned to a woman.

This isn't slavery, he told himself, its a job. Though a twinge in his back reminded him the two could be easily blurred. This isn't the South, this is a Ranger. Lewlyn struggled with his thoughts as a group of riders appeared.

Every instinct kicked in and Lewlyn bolted to a safer shadowy spot by the inn.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 5:19 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel snickered then twirled a piece of her hair between her fingers then quickly studied the mans' face as she turned her eyes to the glazier.
She knew who it was. It was one of the men in her brothers' company. She inwardly cursed herself for not wearing her cloak, but then decided to go with it.
The man was about to address Durian, but was interrupted by the glazier. He held out his hand and said in a proud but rough voice.
"Do not worry, sir. I will not keep your...companions very long."
He then turned his eyes to Mariel and squinted ever so slightly, then quickly shifted his gaze to Durian.
"Aye, sir. That I did. I am assuming you knew him as well?"

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 8:07 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

The glazier seemed intent on leaving on foot, which was fine with him. He suspected there was more there than this ‘music’ they were searching for. What these riders want and what part Mariel was playing in their arrival he could only guess. When the ranger asked if he knew Halbarad, Durian went expressionless if looking grim and said,

“Yes. I answered his call and rode south with him, leaving my wife and unborn child. I rode mostly with Malvagil and Hanasian, and sometimes the sons of Elrond joined us.”

Suddenly the dark thoughts of Saranna came back to him. And he squinted at the ranger wondering why he didn’t recognize him.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 8:25 pm 
Ent
Ent

The Ranger furrowed his brows as he looked at the pair, then as Durian revealed who he rode with, he spoke with remembrance.
"Oh yes, I remember speaking with you in passing. You must forgive me for not recognizing you until just now. My memory is somewhat...faded."
He then glanced down upon Mariel and squinted his eyes.
"Forgive me, miss, but have we met before?"
Mariel arched a brow and shrugged.
"Perhaps. I meet many when I go traveling."
The Ranger shook his head and persisted.
"No, no...I know you. I can't place exactly where I know you from, but-"
His eyes widened as he began to recall who she was, but he was interrupted by a call from his fellow riders. He looked over, then glanced back at Durian and Mariel and dipped his head.
"Excuse me."
He said then turned his horse around and headed back to the front of the Inn.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 1:39 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian didn’t change his expression with his words. He just nodded once. What did interest Durian was he seemingly knowing Mariel. He himself thought she was vaguely familiar when he came in the inn, and he remembered her from a tavern. It was possible this guy knew her as well from a tavern she had mentioned. When he left, Durian caught Mariel’s eyes and smiled, He said,

”You have seemed to have caught the eye of more than one ranger at one time or another m’lady.”

Durian could understand that, for Mariel was quite attractive. He turned to the glazier and said,

”So, you say we go on foot. Probably wise as the bogs near the ruins don’t lend themselves much to horse travel. I will have to settle a couple things before I leave. It won’t take me long. I just have to step inside for a bit.”

He turned and gave a smile to Mariel and said to her before he went inside the inn,

”It will be nice to accompany you m’lady. I won’t be long.”

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 30  Next