Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently June 16th, 2024, 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 1:17 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Meleth did not utter a sound but grimly unsheathed the slender knife that hung at her belt. A flash and a yelp of pain and one of the figures bore a deep slash across his upper body - but he (or it?) kept coming and Meleth moved swiftly backwards. "Nienna, run! Go to Aramel and Turwaithiel!"

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 1:43 pm 

Meleth's brave deed suceeded. The goblin, for so it was, that she had wounded turned all its attention on her, giving Nienna the chance to escape. Nienna, though, stood rooted to the spot, looking in disgust and horror at the goblin felled by Halrohir's bow, the second attacking Meleth, and the third, that had drawn an evil-looking scimitar and was fighting Halrohir, who had thrown down his bow and drawn his sword in answer.

Halrohir parried the goblin's first blows, but the creature leapt to one side and slashed heavily at the Ranger's arm. Halrohir grunted in pain, stepping back a pace. The goblin turned, and bore down on Nienna, its blade dripping red and black, a snarl of hate in its eyes. The goblin's face suddenly widened in pain, then fell slack as it crashed to the ground. Halrohir had leapt forward, catching the thing just before it could attack her. He changed his charge in mid-stride, whirling to dispatch Meleth's attacked with one thrust, and the fight was over.

Nienna saw Halrohir cradle his left arm, wincing at the ugly wound. But his concern was not for himself, but for Morindal, who was walking gamely but weak up to his master's side, the arrow viciously protruding from his haunch. Halrohir searched in the saddlebags for something, and produced a small bundle of herbs, and a knife. Speaking softly to his horse, he carefully worked the arrow out with his fingers and the knife tip, and laved some of the herbs into the horse's tough hide.

Halrohir's wound, however, was still bleeding...

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 2:00 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Meleth caught Morindal's head and murmured to him in Elvish while Halrohir worked, her knife lying bloody by her feet. "You are wounded, mellon," she said to the Dunadan in concern. "I hope these foul goblins did not poison their weapons."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 2:24 pm 

Halrohir, without looking away from Morindal's wound, said, "I learned from others of my kin long ago, to treat every goblin or orc wound as if it was befouled. Better to bring virtue to a clean wound, then to bring none to a foul one."

He smoothed the hide over the staunched flank, "This will serve, for now. We shall not know if the arrow was poisoned, for a day at least. I know what to do, in that event. But, what of Nienna, and of you?" He looked to Meleth. "That was bold of you, to distract the goblin just long enough. Did it reach you? And, where is Nienna? I would have spared her that sight if I could."

Halrohir began binding his own arm, staunching the cut, and looking at the edges of the wound; it was a clean slash, not jagged, and already the bleeding was slowing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 2:29 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Meleth nodded gravely. "I have long been trained in the arts of battle - it was nothing, I assure you, and I am unscathed. Nienna, I think, fled back to our friends. She will have told them of the goblins and mayhap they are even now returning to Rivendell."

She let go Morindal's head. "You have a princely mount here - he reminds me very much of my own, Minuial."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 3:06 pm 

Halrohir smiled, "Princely is the right word for Morindal. I believe he simply consents to bear me, and that our paths are conveniently together. We have seen much, he and I. But for today, I fear he may not be able to bear my weight for a time. Come, if your companions are close by, then we must find them, and assure them of our safety."

Halrohir retrieved his bow where he had let it fall; as he rose, he seemed to stumble slightly, his eyes unfocused, but the fit quickly passing. "I am weary, and the day is passing. Let us go." He took Morindal's reins, and led the horse behind him as he made to follow Meleth; his arm, he cradled close to his side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 3:16 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Meleth swiftly wiped the blade of her knife on the grass and sheathed it, before leading the way down the path she had come. In the silence that followed she cast a glance at Halrohir. "I hope you will not worry for Morindal - there are many healers in Rivendell and they will take the greatest care of him - and yourself," she added with a look at his arm. "You have come to the right place."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 3:20 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Nienna went to Halrohir.

"let me see your arm. i may be useful for few things but i am a fair healer." she took his arm gently, trying not to hurt him. she then reache dinto a small leather pouch she had at her side and drew out several herbs.

"Come with me." she said and led Halrohir tothe stream. there she made him sit under a tree while she mixed the herbs with water and spread them on his wound.

she kept her gaze on his arm as she worked but could feel his eyes studying her. when she was finished she tore a stip off the hem of her gown and tied it tightly on the gash.

sh ethen looked up and met his eyes. "That is a nasty wound, Sir Halrohir. this should hold up until we get to Rivendell." she held up a hand as he protested. "You will do your best not to argue, for i can get forceful when i need to." she smiled a small smile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 3:56 pm 

Halrohir watched Nienna as she tended his arm. Her touch was gentle, and it was plain her knowledge of healing was more than his own. And he was also pleased to see her confidently on familiar ground, rather than a lost elf-maid in the forest, with enemies about.

"Thank you, indeed, little one", he said to her, examining her work. There was no pain, only discomfort now, but the passing dizziness worried him.

"It would seem our paths run together, for Imladris", he said, rising to his feet and walking back from the stream with Nienna. "It has been some time, since I saw the hidden valley of Master Elrond. Eight years past, I was asked to watch over a most curious party of Dwarves, headed for this same place. They, too, were lost on the Ettenmoors, but they were aided by no less a person than Mithrandir, himself. He it was, who asked the Dunedain for aid, so that the wandering company would not be delayed further. As they arrived, I stayed at the entry to the valley, and kept watch until they met Elrond's people. I went no further, and my errantry has taken me far afield, until now."

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 4:01 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Nienna nods as he tells his story, amazed at how much he had done.

"You have met Mithrandir? that must have been something." she couldn't believe it, she herself had heard stories of Mithrandir when she was but a child,but she had never actually gotten to meet him. then she sobered.

"I am afraid i owe you my life on more than one occasion now," she said softly,"I am most grateful." she looked up and her eyes held sincerity.

"We shall have a banquet in your honor, Sir Halrohir, when we returned. for it is no small deed to save the lives of elf maidens."

she smiled a genuine happy smile since they had first met.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 4:09 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

"Unless the elf-maidens spoken of can save their own lives," came a wry comment from Meleth, seeing them returning from the stream. "For I assure you that your help has been most welcome - but I need not a Dunadan to keep me safe, nor have I ever."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 4:14 pm 

"Ah, but in truth, I did not have the chance to meet Mithrandir", Halrohir explained, "I merely saw him from afar. The message bringing him our aid came from others of the Dunedain - I was simply nearest to the path. But who knows? One day, perhaps, I may meet him."

Halrohir in turn, looked at Nienna, seeing her eyes in twilight. He had not been this close to the Fair Folk in a great long while, and there was simply something so compelling about this slender maid and, when she smiled at him...

"Might I say that, it was happy chance that brought me here, to at least be of service to you?" he said to her, smiling in return.

"But come, let us rejoin the others - it's getting dark, and I am unsure of the path, even in daylight. Your brave friend, Meleth, tells me that Morindal may be given fair treatment, and he cannot bear me in his condition - though he might bear you. If you wish, I should wish for you to ride him, for the journey."

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 4:21 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Nienna looked at him with surprise and wonder.

"You wish me to ride him? well,thank you. and,i too,am glad that our paths have crossed." she added the last bit more softly and she looked down.

"yes, we should get back to the others, i want you to get back as soon as possible to have the toher healers examine that arm of yours." she looked up at him again, her cheeks taking a bit of color.

she studied his tall frame, taking in his muscular and wide shoulders-she shook her head.

'Nienna,what are you thinking? he probably has someone back where he comes form,and he is just being nice.' she thought to herself,dismissing the thoughts when they met up with the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 4:40 pm 

Halrohir and Nienna walked to Morindal, who was cropping the grass; if the goblin-arrow wound worried the horse, he did not show any sign. Halrohir once more lifted the elf-maid in his arms, and placed her side-saddle this time. Looking up at her, he felt a queer pang; in the gathering twilight, Nienna seemed at once, remote and distant, like all the Eldar; yet, she was also approachable, and friendly. And he could not dismiss the image of her, lost and vunerable in the forest; he suspected that would always be how she was to his mind.

Halrohir made a pretense of looking at Morindal's flank to avoid staring at her once again, and took the reins, making to follow Meleth, who was waiting on the path with patience; she was astride her own mount, Minuial. Meleth spoke truly about the horse - Minuial was a splendid animal, and Morindal would have been hard pressed to pace the elven-horse, even were he healed and whole.

Two other elves had joined her. Halrohir surmised these were Aramel and Turwaithiel, their companions. Halrohir greeted them with courtesy, but their replies were merely nodded heads and tight smiles. Together, riding and on foot, the party set off for the valley of legend, Imladris, home of Master Elrond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 4:46 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Meleth dismounted at the slender arch of stone that led into Imladris, and took hold of Minuial's reins. Her silver hair swirled around her in the twilight like tiny myriad sparkling gems. "Take care for your horse," she told Halrohir, "Often they are frightened of the bridge to Rivendell."

Crossing, she turned again to look at them, and something stirred behind her dark eyes at the sight of Nienna astride Morindal and Halrohir beside her. It was quickly gone, however, and she looked at the Dunadan inquiringly. "I go to stable Minuial - shall I take Morindal, too?"

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 4:53 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Nienna looked down from Morindal and noticed Halrohir looking at her with a strange look in his eyes. she said nothing. Halrohir lead Morindal to the others and then they started the journey.

Nienna silently watched Halrohir as he lead Morindal on. she then realized that she felt something for him. she had never felt this way about someone before.

when they all reached Rivendell, Nienna took Halrohir to the healers and left him to be attended to. it was now night out, a chilly night, but beautiful. there was a full moon out and it caste its pale light on all of the mostly sleeping Rivendell.

Nienna walked out onto the balcony that was part of the healer's quaters. she wrapped her cloak that she had retrieved a little tighter around ehr shoulders. she wnted to wait and find out how Halrohir was. she closed her eyes and hummed an old elvish melody.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next