Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2006, 4:30 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

((Lol no, I love RPs where you can sorta do whatever you want...but yeah, it is more interesting if there's a problem of some sort :D))

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2006, 4:31 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[i know exactly how you feel!!!]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2006, 5:38 pm 
Elven Shieldmaiden for Christ

(i agree....)

"Yes, isn't it though?" Tur said, taking a small bite of a piece of lembas she had. "So, what have you been up too lately?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2006, 5:51 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Meleth gave a rueful smile. "Not much, I'm afraid. I have liked peace too much, I think."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2006, 5:55 pm 

"I am the exact opposite...this spot here has been the most peaceful I've been in in a while."

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2006, 7:53 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Nienna awoke,and for a minute,she did not remember where she was, but then she smiled as it all came back to her. she looked around herself, she felt quite lost, she did not remember which way she came from.
"great! this is not what i need!" she thumped the ground with her fist, frustrated. she stood up and walked out of the grove of trees, but she did not know she was headed in the wrong direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 12:30 am 

The forest was still, listless breezes rustling the very tops of the trees with a soft hiss. Birds sang distantly, and quickly falling silent. The only enduring sound came from the steady thrumming of hooves from a single horse, walking at an even pace along the worn path.

The horse, and its rider, were dark and travel-worn. The horse was brown, almost black - the rider was cloaked in equal color, hooded and booted. The horse looked strong and well-cared for, despite the obvious miles they had traveled together.

The rider reined up, drawing his mount to a halt. He cast back his hood, revealing a man of unknown age, but keen and alert face. He sniffed, testing the air; his head cocked, listening. After a moment's silence, he patted his horse's neck.

"All is well, Morindal", Halrohir whispered. "But, we seem to have lost them. That will sit ill with the others, they were counting on us." The horse whuffed softly.

"Yes, we'll stop soon. We're in the woods near Imladris, so we should be undisturbed for a camp. After some rest, we'll set out again. The trail can't have gotten cold - after all, it's not like we're pursuing Elves, are we?"

Horse and rider continued on, looking for a sheltered place to dismount, and rest....

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 9:13 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Nienna wandered around in,what seemed to her, circles. she had no idea where she was, it was odd for her because she frequented these woods. she finally stumbled upon a path,but it was getting dark out and she was very weary. her head ached from the long hours that she had been awake and her feet screamed t her to find rest. she saw a well sheltered tree and went ot sit under it. it was beginning to get cold.
she wrapped herself in her arms and put her head on her knees. she was exhausted and frustrated at herself. she quickly fell asleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 10:37 am 

Halrohir and Morindal had not continued long down the path, when the horse stopped in mid-stride, whuffing softly at his rider's urgings to move on. Halrohir recognized this trait, for Morindal would not move from a spot if there was something to be seen.

"What now, fellow?" Halrohir asked, "what do you see?" The horse made no move forward, but craned his neck to the right, off the path.

Halrohir took the sign to mean there was surely something there, worth investigating. Silently he dismounted, foregoing his bow, but drawing his sword slowly and quietly. All his senses were now pricked and alert. Taking the loose reins, he led Morindal off the path, just into the trees, and set off in the direction the horse had gazed, making little sound as probed deeper into the thickets.

Halrohir thought quickly. Had he caught up to his quarry, or rediscovered their trail? Or were they lying in wait, to come upon him unawares? Cautiously, he peered around each tree, making sure of his passage, watchful for -

- a maiden, huddled against a tree??

There was no doubting his eyes, he thought, here was a slender girl, hunched over, seeming to be alseep or almost so. She was dressed in light robes, and had no gear or cloak. Lost, perhaps, or separated from her companions, he thought. He cast around his feet, and saw a branch; he stepped hard on it, a sharp crack following.

Instantly, the maiden started, her eyes wide and alert, her head whipping to the sound of the branch. Halrohir beheld the eyes, the fair face and features - one of the Eldar, certainly.

"Suliad, edhelwen," Halrohir asked in the Elven tongue. "Fear me not - I mean no harm to you", he said quickly, as the maid rose to her feet, her eyes on the drawn sword. He carefully sheathed the weapon, his hands open, reassuring. "I am Halrohir, Dunadan of Fornost. What is your name, milady?"

The elf-maiden continued to stare wide-eyed at Halrohir, but relaxed a little when he spoke. "I am Nienna of Imladris", she answered quietly. "What brings a Ranger to these woods? You are far from your usual grounds, are you not?"

Halrohir smiled slightly, glad to hear the music of Nienna's voice, though noting the doubt still behind it. "I am on the hunt", he explained. "Several of my kinsmen were tracking a band of goblins, come down from the heights of the mountains. They are bold, these goblins, who attacked a settlement near Archet. We have pursued them into the Trollshaws, but they scattered into small groups when they sensed they were being followed. My kinsman went off north and east, after the larger band; it was my lot follow a group of three, southeast toward Imladris. Their trail has faded, but I deem them to be headed in this direction."

"How is it, that you are here, alone? There are no others nearby? If so, then there may be danger; for the goblin raiders were well-armed, and woodcrafty, if they have managed to evade me. Shall we not warn any of your people nearby?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 10:51 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

her eyes widened.

"Goblins? oh dear..." she quickly explained ot him what had happened and that she had met three other elves in the forest.

"I thought i would let them talk,for they had been long separated and now reunited. so i left the group. i fell asleep in a grove a trees then awoke. and here i am,wandering around like a lost fool."

she frowned.

"We must find the others, for even though i was with them i do not know them well,we had just met. but we must warn them anyway. i can't be much help though, i have no mount, i cannot wield a sword, and i have no idea which direction to go."

she did not meet his gaze, he probably thought her a foolish girl who wandered away from her family. her cheeks burned.

who ever thought of an elf being lost?

she finaly looked up to meet his gaz bravely. she saw he had no scorn in his eyes. they were kind, yet severe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 12:23 pm 

Halrohir took in what Nienna told him. So, she had wandered off alone, with other Elves unsuspecting of the danger, close at hand, but no way to tell where.

"Worry not, little one", he said. "My horse, Morindal, can bare us both with ease. And I don't doubt we'll locate the others. Now, what path did you take to come here? Or, did you come through the wood?"

Nienna took thought, and said, "I followed a path to this place, and I recall a sunlit grove nearby. That is where I left the others. But truthfully, I don't know know which way that might be."

Halrohir nodded. "Then, that's where we shall begin. Come, let us find Morindal, and continue on the path. We may find your way from there." Holding out his hand to her, Nienna took it, no small relief for finding a Ranger in the wood , but also dreading his news of goblins about.

Halrohir led Nienna back to the path, and beheld the dark bulk that was Morindal, who raised his head and looked on Nienna with intelligent eyes, and stepped forward to snuff her outstretched hand. Firmly, but still gentle, Halrohir took the elf in his arms and lifted her onto the horse's back, and mounted in turn, holding Nienna before him in the saddle. With a word, they set off. Nienna was grateful for the fold of Halrohir's cloak, which he courteously wrapped around her to give her some warmth.

"Now, we need to be watchful, both of us", Halrohir said. "I must still attend to my errand, and watch for signs of my quarry. For your part, you must look for any landmark you may recognize, or any sign of your party."

They rode on in silence. Halrohir's eyes were not still, looking this way and that on both sides of the trail, for even the slightest sign of the goblins, or any trace of the elves' passing. He put aside all thought of the flowery scent of Nienna's hair, so close to him, and the feel of her slight frame against his arm. He was content to perform this small act of courtesy, and protect someone in need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 12:36 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Nienna had never been this close to a man before. Particularly a stranger. but she was glad,none the less,that she had been found.

She kept a close watch on both sides of the road then suddenly her eyes lit up with joy and excitement, she turned her face so that she oculd see Halrohir's and pointed wildly.

"There! See that small, worn path to the left? That is the path I took this morning, it leads right to the stream where I met the others!"

she was relieved and both embarrassed at the same time.

"Oh...," she said this time more softly,"Thank you for your cloak." she looked down and turned her head around shyly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 12:44 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Meleth stood, hearing a horse. With a frown she went quickly along the path, and stopped abruptly to see Nienna and a man she had not met before. "Nienna!" she said, a smile lifting the corners of her mouth. "Where were you? We feared we had lost you!" She tossed silver hair back over her shoulders.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 12:55 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Nienna smiled a little sheepishly.

"You did! or rather i lost myself. you see,i foudn this beautiful grove of trees and i sat down in the sunshine and fell asleep. when i awoke i had no sense of direction and stumbled onto a path. i fell asleep there too. when this gentleman, his name is Halrohir found me. he was kind enough to lend me his cloak and give me a ride. but he also warned me of goblins on the loose, i had realized you were out here and thought it best to warn you as well."

She,again felt like a little child. she was very embarrassed. her cheeks flamed scarlet and she slid down from the horse's back with some assistance from Halrohir.

she smiled up at him,"Thank you,again. not many would stop to help someone like that." she then turned to the others.

"I suggest that we all go back to Rivendell to wanr everyone. Halrohir is tracking the goblins, he is a Dunedan Ranger."

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 12:59 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Meleth gave Halrohir a rare smile. "We do thank you for assisting our friend," she told him, speaking for her companions whom she was sure would agree. "And how fortunate you were here to warn us - I think retreat to Rivendell would be wise, indeed."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 1:09 pm 

Halrohir rode closer to Meleth, seeing that he had reunited Nienna with at least one of her companions. At least one good thing had happened today, having lost the trail of the goblins.

"I see a reunion in the making", he said with a smile. "Here, lady, is Nienna, your misplaced friend." He dismounted, and offered his hands to Nienna, who allowed him to lift her once more. He set her on the ground, her hands quickly taking his.

"Hannon le, Dunadan", Nienna said, "for also protecting and warning me. Meleth, this is Halrohir, one of the Dunedain. He was tracking goblins nearby, when he found me. We must warn the others, where are they?"

A whuffing and stomping from Morindal stopped Meleth's reply. Halrohir looked at his mount with concern. The horse was pawing the ground, turning off toward the trees from where the worn path just led.

"Something is wrong, my friends", Halrohir said as he reached for his saddle, taking his bow and bending it quickly. "Quickly now, find the others of your party, and stay together. Morindal senses danger, even through the comfort of your presence. That's all too near, for my liking." He turned to Nienna, and said, "You are not as safe as I might wish, little one, not yet. I must now hunt; Morindal will stay near, to give you what protection he can."

The horse nodded vigorously, as if in understanding. Halrohir moved back down the path with swift strides, his bow bent, an arrow at the ready, his sword loose in its sheath.

A scream split the air. All eyes turned toward Morindal, who was bucking wildly, an arrow with black feathers in his flank. Halrohir let fly with his own, and a shriek erputed from the thicket nearby, a dark squat figure stumbling out of the weeds, an arrow in its neck. Two more dark figures charged out of the weeds, and bore down on the party. Halrohir's quarry were now the hunters...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next