Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2010, 11:10 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

(huzzah! Thankies! and I may bring Calanon in later.)

Morwen watched as Arawen moved down the row of cells. Morwen had two main jobs here. One, make sure no one escaped and two make sure no died before they were supposed to. Of Arawen she knew plenty of.. but didn't particularly fear her. Of course there were fear she did fear. But at the same time she had little pity for those that asked for trouble here and was fairly neutral about everyone else. In short? she didn't care about much except avoiding pain. That was the only reason she was at slave status now. She had learned a trick to avoiding pain.. being half-way compliant.

She watched Arawen silently, her eyes holding that faint note of disgust that vanished whenever someone looked at her. Her mind and spirit were still her own, she simply was tired of getting hurt.

Her short dark hair was pulled out of her face, as always, and she wore all black tunic and pants. No weapons... not yet. They still didn't trust her. "Morning already?" Morwen asked softly.

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2010, 3:39 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

(@ Will: Thanks! I love hugs. And yes, I have returned with more crazy goodness. And a little insight to Maethoriel's history.)

The woman's room was filled with smoke as was her head. There were things drawn on the floor and her dark blue cloak dragged on the ground while a knife spun ceaselessly in her hand as she paced.

Maethoriel's room was possibly the only one in Mordor that was actually made to feel somewhat comfortable. It was filled with candlelight and warm colors, not the same cold vaulting furniture with its pompous black arrogance. She had enough of that to fill her space.

It was cluttered, to be certain her papers were everywhere, along with various items - remnants of chairs, glass from vials - all strew around. But with the fireplace and smell of pipe weed came a distinctive smell of home. Her home at least...

How mad Maethoriel was was often up for debate. It could have been a show for those who would have her killed should her keen nature be revealed, or it could just come in waves. Madness was a thing hard to judge. She had survived the pits of Dol Guldur - escaped in fact. Those cells had been run by the Eye himself when he had yet to reside in Mordor, leaving his more trivial work to his minions. She had escaped far worse for the wear, and would forever be unable to shake off the marks that labeled her a prisoner - her pact had made sure of that.

She had been given a second chance, one that she selfishly took for she feared death even more so after seeing him. Her deeds in life would not grant her peace, so she would live again. Told to make herself better she found herself selfishly ruled by the need to survive - she was good at that, but now she needed help and for that help she was willing to make a few changes.

The mad woman was disturbingly normal looking in her room, no mad laughter or uncontrollable sparks of magic. Those were well left for show. The real Maethoriel, the one in her room was much more dangerous. Precise, cruel and unforgiving just as the knife spinning in her hands.

She was formulating now. The Mouth's mood had changed, something was coming for her and she needed a bit of assistance. A grin now formed and she looked at the shelf, her pacing paused for a moment. The knife stopped spinning and disappeared into a sheath. Her hand shot out and grasped a book, she thumbed through the pages with a furious speed - perhaps her calm in her sanctuary was a bit force.

She found the page and let out a relieved sigh which turned into words - fast and softly spoken, it was luck that Eye was focused less he would have felt her presence flare under his gaze. Luck indeed.

The woman felt her mind buzzing, she was expending to much energy. She snorted in derision a calling this simple should be easy, she was out of practice. Then her mind began to slip, still the words came. Then stopped. So did she.

The woman slouched upon her bed, head in her hands. It would work, her mind reassured her. The wizard owed her too much not to let it work. Still...just in case - she would ask for more help.

"Valar forgive me and send me aid," she said to the air. "I beg you," she finished, almost visibly swallowing her pride. Then she felt a sense of calm wash over her - whether from actual reassurance of those across the sea or from the pipe that she had picked up from her bedside table to draw upon could not be said.

Set 1: Nurr | Set 2: Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2010, 6:07 pm 
Maia
Maia

(Great first post, Morwen! =)

And good to have you back, Maeth =) Maethoriel really seems to suit RP in Mordor!)

Arawen efficiently supervised the attendants as they served the prisoners their morning meal, unlocking one cell at a time to send them in, drop the plates on the floor and dart out before Arawen locked each cell again. Before long each prisoner had their breakfast, and the dark-haired servant watched them with empty eyes, so beautiful and blue, so empty of anything but cold calculation. The lesser servants around her meant little to her; if anything, they were luckier than she was. They did not bear the burden of the Mouth of Sauron’s inflicted discussion with her, nor did they have the role of his assassin. How many lives had he ordered her to take in the duration of her stay here? Sometimes she wondered if she had lost count. It had become meaningless obedience; she generally did what she was told, and said what she liked to him. It did not seem to matter much to him. Arawen walked down the line of cells as he bid her to do, looking at each prisoner directly. Her footsteps echoed in the silence, and her thoughts turned to the second errand the Mouth wanted to send her on.
He wanted her to kill Maethoriel. It seemed a matter of some importance to him. He was unsure of this woman; she was a chess piece, and he was unsure of her place. The Mouth did not like having someone around who was a potential threat, whose loyalties he was uncertain of. Moreover, she was not amongst those who obeyed him. Of course, he wanted her life.
The question of the woman’s sanity was what had made Arawen hesitant over the task. Still, she knew that it would be far easier just to have done with it, and do as the Mouth wanted. It would make matters far easier for her. And besides, he liked taunting her whenever she felt something vaguely resembling pity; he wanted her to live up to her reputation for blood.
She glanced at Morwen, one of the servants, briefly, as she commented upon the speed at which morning had arrived. Arawen raised one eyebrow. It often seemed impossible to tell the difference between morning and night here. In Mordor, night seemed eternal. “Indeed,” she said blankly, turning her attention elsewhere just as swiftly.

Luthien picked over the food she had been given incredulously. What rubbish was this? Surely this was food fit only for orcs, for vermin? She shoved her plate aside disgustedly, even as she realized that this would be the only kind of food she’d receive from now on. She observed Arawen from behind the iron bars of her cell, noting how devoid of any emotion the woman seemed. How cold. And it was this place that had done it to her.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2010, 6:51 pm 

[ Mae - Oh I loved that last post! It was quite insightful in Maeth's character ;) She's still scarry.. :P

And welcome Morwen! ]

Bëor had not shifted from his place as time seemed to pass by, not even when Arawen appeared with their meal. He did not flinch when the metal door of his cell was opened nor when she looked into his eyes. "It was about time you showed up," Bëor sneered as he sat lazily against the cold wall. Frustration had welled up inside him as watched the Gondorian, whom he despised, and the only possible way to vent this frustration was through words. It was not a very wise thing to do for Bëor knew that the woman could be dangerous, but then he realised that in her heart there was only cowardice and his hatred was that moment greater than his rational state of mind.

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2010, 10:06 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

(Goldleaf: Thankies ^_^
Will: Glad to be here)

Morwen nodded a little, then watched one of the new prisoners, the 18 year old, snub the food. Most here did. It wasn't anything unusual. The half-elf moved her hair to hide her ears. she wasn't too keen on the prisoners picking up on her elven heritage. She hadn't been too keen on her captors finding out about it when that had happened. She kept her eyes on Luthien for a long minute.

'Pity she has to fight so much. Youth and a fiery spirit. Wasted in this dark hole.' Morwen felt a twinge of actual pity, but subdued it rather quickly. She had to do this with every new face. She had seen many come and go in the nigh on 200 years she had spent here. It had taken nearly 50 years of pain for Morwen to finally give.

'But that young one doesn't have the time I did. Or the time I still do have.' Her eyes then flickered to Beor. He, of the prisoners, would know the most of her as he had been present for 14 years but... he still knew precious little. After all, she had only left her spot only a handful of times. 'I wonder how much longer he will last here...'[/i]

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2010, 1:04 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

(Goldy: Thanks! I rather like playing the darker side of her.

Will: Thanks. I am a fan of Beor and his sarcasm.

Note: I am going to have Maeth help them escape, but I decided that she wouldn't do it if they just asked her. She would need a more substantial push so I gave her one. Hope it doesn't mess with any plans you have Goldy.)

Maethoriel lay sprawled on her bed still contemplating her actions. She needed help, but from what. There were few creatures of Mordor who could hold there own in a battle against her. Not even the Mouth's wench with her supposed assassination prowess. She killed prisoners, dignitaries without further use. Maethoriel was none of these, and it would take more than an attempted stab in the back to bring her down. The woman was trained, surely, but Maethoriel was older with far more experience in true battle than the child would see no matter if she went to the front lines this very day. She could kill her if it came right down to it, but that was not the stressor.

No, something else weighed on her mind. She feared it might be her conscience.

Her eyes closed and her head lolled to the side, letting the smoke take her away. Her mind blurred and the corporeal world was no more. She was in a space that many elves entered when they slept - one of memories of the past and dreams of the future. Choices made here often affected what one would do in the realm of the living.

There were screams, dirt turned to a dark red muddy bog that captured her feet. It always began this way, but she had learned how to walk through it - so she did. Forcing her way through the mire it gave way and her force was no longer needed so she was sent to the ground. It hurt when she landed .

"Stone..." she muttered, looking down at the white pavement under her. No, not pavement - marble, she was on a stairwell with her arms and legs akimbo in the most ridiculous fashion. Worse yet there were others there.

The woman cast a dubious, dark, perpetually hollow and rimmed with evidence of unrest and a scarred brow quirked upward. A coronation, she recognized that as a tall, weathered man, with a smile that said he was victorious stood before her.

"A dream," she muttered, brushing herself off and standing near the man her mind created as a pair of old hands set the crown on him.

"New for certain," she said aloud and feeling uncomfortable with the happy air the dream was filled with she willed herself to be somewhere else.

Nowhere. More conclusions were drawn then, if this were a dream she would be where she wished. But she remained in this sickeningly joyous occasion. Bile rose in her throat.

"A sending," she said aloud and she took in more of the people, and stepped down the stairs as she saw an old man with blue eyes look at her. Maethoriel opened her mouth to speak to him and cast a curse at him, but the sending changed again to a more familiar setting. There was Arawen walking down the halls of Mordor and then flashes of the faces of prisoners whose names she did not care to know.

She yelled in the dark, but there was no clear pattern to it - a jumble of different languages. Then another flash of the dark haired woman who had potential for good and ill.

A voice, deep, commanding - at first she thought it was the wizard's, but not even he was strong enough to create so vibrant a sending.

"A deal, Narylfiel," the voice in the dark advised, and she knew he was smiling though she could not see the owner. The only voice who could truly make her cower - her prayer had been answered, but he that answered was not entirely welcome in her mind.

"I have made too many blood oaths, there is nothing left to make," she said - her voice was a cracked sob, she hated this voice. He made her feel things she never wanted again.

"One of honor, not magic," he scolded and she winced appropriately.

"With who?" She asked, feeling like a child for she knew the answer was probably laid in front of her.

The woman's question went unanswered as she was woke from her false sleep. Her clothes were wet with her cold sweat, and her eyes were red both from inadvertent tears that had been caused by the dream. The cold did little to bother her, but she shuddered from the memory. She did not like what the sending suggested she do. It would mean taking a side, a real side. And with that people would call into question everything she had done, they would want to try her when it was over and she would not escape the noose.

Or maybe...she grinned and pulled herself together and as she stood she chose a side, there was more to the sending that just news of her impending doom - the Valar do not send ill tiding wrapped in pretty packages. There was hope - and it was the first time she'd let herself feel it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2010, 1:06 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

(Goldy: Thanks! I rather like playing the darker side of her.

Will: Thanks. I am a fan of Beor and his sarcasm.

Morwen: Welcome to the group!

Note: I am going to have Maeth help them escape, but I decided that she wouldn't do it if they just asked her. She would need a more substantial push so I gave her one. Hope it doesn't mess with any plans you have Goldy.)

Maethoriel lay sprawled on her bed still contemplating her actions. She needed help, but from what. There were few creatures of Mordor who could hold there own in a battle against her. Not even the Mouth's wench with her supposed assassination prowess. She killed prisoners, dignitaries without further use. Maethoriel was none of these, and it would take more than an attempted stab in the back to bring her down. The woman was trained, surely, but Maethoriel was older with far more experience in true battle than the child would see no matter if she went to the front lines this very day. She could kill Arawen if it came right down to it, but that was not the stressor.

No, something else weighed on her mind. She feared it might be her conscience.

Her eyes closed and her head lolled to the side, letting the smoke take her away. Her mind blurred and the corporeal world was no more. She was in a space that many elves entered when they slept - one of memories of the past and dreams of the future. Choices made here often affected what one would do in the realm of the living.

There were screams, dirt turned to a dark red muddy bog that captured her feet. It always began this way, but she had learned how to walk through it - so she did. Forcing her way through the mire it gave way and her force was no longer needed so she was sent to the ground. It hurt when she landed .

"Stone..." she muttered, looking down at the white pavement under her. No, not pavement - marble, she was on a stairwell with her arms and legs akimbo in the most ridiculous fashion. Worse yet there were others there.

The woman cast a dubious, dark, perpetually hollow and rimmed with evidence of unrest and a scarred brow quirked upward. A coronation, she recognized that as a tall, weathered man, with a smile that said he was victorious stood before her.

"A dream," she muttered, brushing herself off and standing near the man her mind created as a pair of old hands set the crown on him.

"New for certain," she said aloud and feeling uncomfortable with the happy air the dream was filled with she willed herself to be somewhere else.

Nowhere. More conclusions were drawn then, if this were a dream she would be where she wished. But she remained in this sickeningly joyous occasion. Bile rose in her throat.

"A sending," she said aloud and she took in more of the people, and stepped down the stairs as she saw an old man with blue eyes look at her. Maethoriel opened her mouth to speak to him and cast a curse at him, but the sending changed again to a more familiar setting. There was Arawen walking down the halls of Mordor and then flashes of the faces of prisoners whose names she did not care to know.

She yelled in the dark, but there was no clear pattern to it - a jumble of different languages. Then another flash of the dark haired woman who had potential for good and ill.

A voice, deep, commanding - at first she thought it was the wizard's, but not even he was strong enough to create so vibrant a sending.

"A deal, Narylfiel," the voice in the dark advised, and she knew he was smiling though she could not see the owner. The only voice who could truly make her cower - her prayer had been answered, but he that answered was not entirely welcome in her mind.

"I have made too many blood oaths, there is nothing left to make," she said - her voice was a cracked sob, she hated this voice. He made her feel things she never wanted again.

"One of honor, not magic," he scolded and she winced appropriately.

"With who?" She asked, feeling like a child for she knew the answer was probably laid in front of her.

The woman's question went unanswered as she was woke from her false sleep. Her clothes were wet with her cold sweat, and her eyes were red both from inadvertent tears that had been caused by the dream. The cold did little to bother her, but she shuddered from the memory. She did not like what the sending suggested she do. It would mean taking a side, a real side. And with that people would call into question everything she had done, they would want to try her when it was over and she would not escape the noose.

Or maybe...she grinned and pulled herself together and as she stood she chose a side, there was more to the sending that just news of her impending doom - the Valar do not send ill tiding wrapped in pretty packages. There was hope - and it was the first time she'd let herself feel it.

Last edited by Maethoriel on January 11th, 2010, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2010, 11:48 am 

[ Mae: Oh this should become interesting! You've shown more of Maethoriel's good side than I've seen before. I knew she still possessed some goodness, very deep inside :P And I think that she will receive alot of sarcasm from Bëor's side when she joins them :P ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2010, 1:11 pm 
Maia
Maia

(Ooh, great idea, Maeth! :-D Should be fun to have Maethoriel help the prisoners. ^_^ It doesn’t interfere at all with any plans I had, so that’s cool - Arawen is eventually going to help them too and so be reformed in the process! Eeee, this is going to be fun.
Arawen's redemption is going to begin ever so slightly in this post. ;) )

Arawen heard Bëor’s voice as she was about to walk past his cell, and paused slightly. She observed him with her blank, chilly expression. His sneers did not mean much to her. After all, it was often to be expected from prisoners when they had grown tired of huddling in the corner, silent, hoping to avoid attention. Bëor must have been here when Arawen had been in her cell, all that time ago. Back then, everything had been a blur, a painful blur. She had lashed out at everyone and everything, fighting back against the attendants who brought her food, insulting the Mouth when she was summoned before him. It had been the beginning. Arawen did not like to remember it sometimes; it reminded her of how much she had changed. Of what she had become. Sometimes, when she was alone, in her dark, austere chambers, it made her shudder. But then often it had no impact on her whatsoever.
None of these thoughts changed anything in her features; they were unreadable, shuttered down. She could have been carved from snow. She gazed at the man who had sneered at her from his cell, as if to measure his strength, his faults, his will to survive. His frustration could not be reported as a major incident; if he caused trouble on a larger scale, then she would do something about it. For now though, he was just a speck on the wide and dark spectrum of her world.
Turning away, with a sweep of her blue gaze she took her last inspection of the prisoners. Her eyes rested on Luthien, who looked furious beyond measure at the meal she had been given. There was something about Luthien’s spirit that reminded Arawen of herself when she had first arrived.
Luthien clutched the iron bars, glaring through them to meet Arawen’s gaze. “Having a good look, are we?” she demanded. “How you must enjoy this, come to taunt the inmates.” Her eyes blazed without any fear. In this moment, she did not care about Arawen’s reaction. She had seen and noted with incredulity how the dark-haired servant met Bëor’s comment with icy, silent reception and wanted to make her angry. Make her feel something; there was nothing alright about this situation. She was Gondorian; she was one of Luthien’s people.
Arawen tilted her head slightly. She swung the keys idly, one slim eyebrow raised.
“You will answer me!” Luthien snapped. “But perhaps you’re just a coward.”
Arawen took one small, measured step towards Luthien’s cell. There was something deadly about the controlled way she carried herself. “Repeat that again.” Her voice was light and carried no hint of the threat she imposed.
“Coward,” Luthien repeated. She scrambled to her feet, dusting her velvet primrose skirts, which were now rather worse for wear. “You’re a coward. You’re dead inside. And you know what?” she leaned forward. “You’re evil.”
Arawen looked at the girl behind the bars. It would be easier not to blame her for her words. Much easier by far just to walk away and ignore them. But her anger was kindled, and she did not quite understand why.
“You know nothing of the meaning of the word evil,” Arawen said simply. Stepping back with a swish of her red skirts, she summoned to Morwen and the other servants. “To your duties.” Luthien watched Arawen walk away, frowning at the gravity of her words.
Arawen ushered the attendants from the block of cells, locking the door behind them. She looked at Morwen. “You will take a jug of wine to the Mouth of Sauron’s chambers.” He would be expecting it, and Arawen could not be bothered to deal with a maid’s task. She glanced at the other servants. “And you will do whatever it is you spend your day doing.”

Arawen’s own path took her towards her next errand. She knocked on the door of Maethoriel’s chambers, waiting outside in the hall calmly. Contrary to what the Mouth had ordered, she had no intention of attacking her. But she knew that she should talk to her. At least warn her for what was coming, for even if it was not Arawen who dealt the deadly blow, it would be someone else. The woman was no fool, she knew, even if she was deranged.
Arawen knew what she was risking in doing this. And yet, she felt lately that some form of redemption was needed, even if it meant sparing the life of just one mad woman.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2010, 11:06 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Morwen gave a slightly annoyed sigh, but turned to go do so, mutely.She made her way to the kitchens and grabbed the bottle that was out and waiting. She sighed and braced herself for a meeting she didn't want.

Making her way up to the room went all too quickly, and those who saw her stayed out of her way. Mostly because her expression spoke loudly of one who did not want to be messed with.

She got to the door and grimaced, then knocked on it sharply, a trademark that had not faded with the years. All there was to do now was wait. Her normally blue-green eyes were mostly gray from dislike of the upcoming situation.

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2010, 5:29 pm 

Beör held Arawen's cold gaze for long and answered it with a look of deep contempt. He wanted to show the weak-willed girl how much he hated her. He had been there when she was brought in; he'd been there for long and he remembered it clearly. A stubborn girl, Arawen was then and Beör noticed a scary resemblance between her back then and Luthien. But Arawen did not last long, with disgust Beör had watched how the Gondorian quickly became the trusted servant of the Enemy. He had witnessed that she was capable of evil.
Beör's bright eyes shifted to Morwen, who'd been in the cursed place as long as he remembered. She never spoke and Beör supposed she was just another will-less creature who'd sold her sould to the enemy in order to live.
Bëor thoughts were interrupted by Luthien's sudden outburst. Like a statue Beör just watched the scene, with just a flicker of sarcasm in his eyes. When Arawen had turned on heel, Beör shook his head. "You just overdid it," he said mockingly.
Then he turned his attention to his plate. Contrary to Luthien, he did not snub the food, and immediately started to wolf down his food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2010, 10:26 pm 
Ent
Ent

(O.o I missed a lot.)

Rayelin watched silently as the meal came, eating it without complaint. She had been used to it for a while. She didn't join in the bandied comments and insults today; there was little point, she had found, and she was in a quiet mood today. She sighed as Luthien snapped pointed barbs of insults at Arawen, producing little effect. Her words needed to be better chosen--and likely more subtle, more painful. Anything obvious would bounce off, deflected by one who was expecting it.

"I see we have returned to bickering amongst ourselves," she said pointedly. "As this is progressing, we will likely still be in here until it's too late to make a difference. If you haven't forgotten the fact that there is indeed increased activity up above..."

^ Sig set by Goldy!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15th, 2010, 3:05 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

(*poke* don't diiiie!)

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15th, 2010, 12:02 pm 

[ I think it's Goldy's turn to post. ;) ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2010, 11:15 am 

[Bump? :erm: ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2010, 12:58 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

(.....does no one have anything to post? *sigh*)

Profile           YIM        

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next