Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Starless Night
PostPosted: May 7th, 2014, 4:48 pm 
Maia
Maia

(I love it! <3 I hope you don't mind me replying so soon! =))

“You should go one, both of you. We all know that I am the one who is slowing you down. The chance of discovery only becomes greater if I remain with you."

Slowly, Arawen turned around to look at Beör. The truth of his words was undeniable; he was in no fit state to be put through the hard journey they had to make. He was the very image of exhaustion. And yet they couldn’t possibly leave him behind to await his fate; surely he knew that such a decision meant death. He would become food to the wargs or worse. Arawen felt her body begin to tremble with suppressed frustration, her blue eyes burning into Beör like twin flames.

Quickly, she diverted her gaze onto Luthien, who was on the brink of tears. “You can’t say that,” the girl insisted, her voice wobbling up and down. “You cannot give up, not after everything that’s happened! We’ve worked so hard to secure our freedom, and it’s so close now. You must try, Beör!”

“He’s beyond the point of trying,” Arawen interrupted her. “You can see that and you’re a fool to deny it.” She didn’t bother to hold back the sharpness from her voice. Turning away from the scene, she picked up her bag and began to rifle through it. She didn’t want to leave Beör behind any more than Luthien did, but one of them had to be reasonable. Luthien had survived this far because of her youthful energy and hope, but what happened when hope failed?

Arawen still remembered a time when Beör had still been able to nurture hope within his mind. He had been a different man back then. In those days, he and Arawen had shared so much together, relying on each other for comfort and support. They’d had no one else. Now, in the long aftermath of their friendship’s destruction, nearly all that remained was painful memory and bitterness.

Reaching the bottom of her bag, Arawen’s fingers closed around a leather bottle. Her expression was instantly transformed with amazement. She had quite forgotten that she had ever brought this item along. She dropped the bag and struggled to pull the cork from the bottle, clenching her jaw with concentration. “Open, damn you,” she muttered. Finally, it was open, and she lifted to bottle to her nose, inhaling the almost overwhelming scent. It was a strong type of liquor favoured by the Uruk-hai to help keep them going whilst they ran when sent out in packs. The strength of just one swig could last a good couple of hours.

Arawen approached Beör and dropped herself down next to him. Seeing that he was probably too tired to drink without assistance, she placed one hand on the back of his neck and helped him to tilt his head. “Drink this,” she instructed him bluntly. “Never mind how foul it tastes. If you want to live, you will drink it.” She looked intensely into his eyes, the bottle shaking slightly in her hand. The side of her body was pressed against the ranger’s, but at this point she didn’t care if that made him uncomfortable. She wanted to be free of the guilt she felt that he was in this state at all. By rights, none of them should have even been there, under this starless sky.

~~~

Urúvion had been glaring at Rhys, ready to deal out a punishment for the young man’s clumsiness with Morrigan’s goblet. But his attention was soon diverted by Nadyah as the little girl placed a plate in front of Morrigan. On that plate was a piece of toast - not the salad that Urúvion had specially ordered. The look on Urúvion’s face twisted into a scowl of utter disgust and outrage. Swiftly, he reached out and picked up the plate, then proceeding to throw it out of his sight. The plate shattered on the steps of the dais. In that moment, everyone in the hall seemed to falter; the musicians’ skilled plucking and drumming went off key. The chatter began to subside, the entire hall gradually growing silent.

“Urúvion,” Morrigan spoke up, reaching out to take her master’s hand, “it… it doesn’t matter. It means nothing. You should not waste your attention on such a silly incidence.” But her soothing words didn’t seem to be working on him. He looked almost pained, as if he had a terrible headache.

“A silly incidence?” he repeated the phrase. “This is far more than that. It is a betrayal of my trust. The kitchen staff are employed for a single reason, to present me with the exact food I order when I order it. Your health is fragile, and it needs to be nurtured!” His hand tightened over Morrigan’s. His voice was raised so that it echoed in the silent hall. “I hardly think that a piece of toast is good enough!” He let go of Morrigan and rose up from his chair. In a terrifying display of strength, he pushed back the table, sending a flurry of plates and goblets crashing onto the floor. Morrigan flinched violently, shrinking back into her seat.

In her shock, she reached out and grabbed out to hold Rhys’s wrist. She held on as if her life depended on it, fearing that she would once again bear the brunt of Urúvion’s wrath. Little did she realize what she was doing, or the consequences of so simple an action.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: June 25th, 2014, 4:11 pm 

The dark brew tasted horrific. It was a bitter liquid that burnt all the way down his throat. But Beör drank and fought the urge to throw up. Despite the foul taste of the brew, its effect was magnificent. The numbness in his limbs disappeared and the renewed energy made Beör’s mind clear and sharp again. It felt like he had drank the water of life, as life was restored to Beör. It was then that he realised that Arawen was sitting next to him and that her hand still rested on his back.

“Why are you saving me..?” Beör whispered astonished with a hoarse voice. He looked into Arawen’s cool blue eyes, which he had never seen so closely before.

For a moment, he felt a glimmer of the one thing that his friendship with Arawen had invoked all those years ago: hope. Hope, that in some way all that was broken could be repaired; that they could somehow live a normal life again.

“I don’t understand.. I thought you wanted me dead.”

--------

It took Rhys a moment to process what had happened. One moment he was minding his own business and the next one the complete banquet table was shoved across the dais. Amidst this chaos of shattering glass, Urúvion’s shouting and shocked guests, Rhys swiftly pulled Nadyah out of the line of fire, behind his back. Although Rhys had experienced the brutality of the Black Watch, Urúvion’s men, on a daily basis, the young man had never expected such irascibility and madness in their Lord.
He, himself, had experienced how kindness could change a person, make him a better man, especially when kindness was offered by a Lord. But these were the Dark Lands, where there was no hope or kindness, but only fear and despair.

Rhys glanced at Morrigan, who looked more than terrified. Intuitively, he took a step forward, laying his hand on her shoulder, while at the same moment Morrigan grabbed his other hand. He remained silent and calmly stood opposite of Urúvion, whose rage seemed to spiral more and more out of control.

But one thing Rhys knew for sure; he would not allow that man to lay another finger on Morrigan.

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2014, 9:16 pm 
Maia
Maia

Arawen remained very still as she sat next to Beör, even though on the inside, her senses were trembling. Her heart was pounding so hard that it was beginning to physically hurt. She felt a fear that the brew she had given Beör might be too strong for him, sweat standing out on her brow as she watched him drink it down. To her utmost relief, he kept it down, and she watched his energy return to him within a matter of moments. He looked just as amazed as she felt, and the question he whispered paid testament to that astonishment.

“Why are you saving me..?”

She did not blame him for asking. She had given him every reason to believe that she hated him. She tried to find the words to answer him, but her dry mouth yielded no response. It felt as if she was trying to battle some invisible barrier. What she was struggling against, in fact, was herself: her own fear of feeling something intensely painful to confront. It was years of repressed emotion.

“I don’t understand.. I thought you wanted me dead.”

Something in Beör’s voice got to her. Instinctively, she shook her head. “No,” she said, her voice only just audible, rasping slightly. Her blue eyes were filled with sadness. “No, I don’t. I never did. How could I? I have wished for my death, but never yours. I gave everything for your life, Beör. I traded in my own… because yours was worth more.” She stopped, abruptly pressing her lips together, overwhelmed by what she had just allowed herself to say, allowed herself to feel.

She felt desperate now for air, for space. Quickly, she pushed herself up to her feet and glanced quickly at Luthien, who she had quite forgotten up until now. The girl had been watching them silently, with something akin to fear in her eyes. Arawen paused, before masking her unguarded expression and saying crisply, “we have to leave now. We can’t stay here.”

Mutely, Luthien nodded and picked up Arawen’s bag, which she then handed to her. What Luthien had just witnessed had clearly unsettled her, but she was as willing to say nothing about it as Arawen. The tension of this journey could only get worse from now on.

~~~

Urúvion seemed to have gone past the point of control. He stood staring at Morrigan and Rhys, his hands shaking, his eyes set on fire. He took everything in, Rhys’ hand on Morrigan’s shoulder, Morrigan tightly clasping his hand. Urúvion’s fury was beyond all description. For a moment, he seemed to find himself sent back in time; this scene was so familiar, echoing memories of Arawen and Beör. The obvious bond between Rhys and Morrigan reminded him of that dark haired beauty and her ranger, how they had stood against him, striving to defy him even though they were behind bars. Well, Urúvion had found a way to destroy those two, and it was well within his capability now to destroy Morrigan and Rhys.

“You’ve gone too far now, my sweet,” Urúvion said to Morrigan, clearly trying to reign in his anger. The whole court was watching, but not a single soul would dare to step in and interfere. Urúvion’s temper was notorious; he was feared throughout Nurn as it’s most dangerous lord. Morrigan and Rhys would have no one to step up and help them.

Morrigan didn’t even try to beg for Urúvion’s forgiveness. She clambered to her feet and backed away from him, even though any attempt at escape was useless. “Why are you doing this?” she cried, too frightened to stop herself blurting out these words, which could only serve to make her appear even more guilty in her master’s eyes. “I’ve only ever been good to you! You cannot be so filled with hate. I fought to see the good in you. I loved you.” Her voice broke, and she looked away, ashamed of what she had felt. Urúvion’s head twitched, and his dark eyes filled with angry tears.

“You are not well,” he said shakily, his voice too loud. “Perhaps you need some time for reflection. A night or two in the cells might be just what you need. Would you not agree?” He threw his arms open wide, appearing to invite Morrigan to answer him. She kept her head turned away, refusing to look at him. Urúvion continued nonetheless. “And your friend can join you. But he will have no such reprieve. He can rot there until I have the executioner fetched to me - and then he shall go to the headsman’s block. And you, my dear Morrigan, shall return to me, and watch him die. An altogether agreeable arrangement, wouldn’t you say?” He motioned to his guards. “Take them both.”

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: July 5th, 2014, 2:48 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

(Hey, could I join this?)

~Married to Faramir of Gondor since 7/5/2014~

~*~Túranel Narussë Talintë, Daughter of Fëanaro~*~

PostPosted: July 16th, 2014, 5:29 pm 

Iron bars. Damp stones. An oppressing heat that would leave your gasping for air. He had been there before. Days, no, even years ago. The same restless and anxiety threatened to master him now he was backed into a corner again. Born in Rohan, he had always been a person who needed space and freedom. A person who could hardly tolerate chains or captivity. His endurance had been tested so many times. The difference between now and then was that now he was completely innocent and that his stay was limited to mere hours or perhaps days. After that, it would be over. Everything.
Rhys could not bear to think of it. He had always had a blind and unwavering faith in that he would find a way to escape, find a way home and perhaps even a way to strike back at those who responsible for his humiliation. But now his belief, that this evil could not prevail forever, wavered. This time there would not be someone with the noblest of hearts to offer kindness. No second chances were granted here.

Rhys kept walking up and down his cell, like a caged animal. It had been hours since he and Morrigan had been dragged out of the banquet hall. It had to be past midnight as the temperature was now rapidly declining and soon it would be actually become cold.
He approached the bars of his cell and looked to his right, to the cell which belonged to Morrigan, but a thick limestone wall separated the two spaces, so Morrigan was hidden from his view.

“Morrigan?” His quiet voice broke the silence. When there was no reply he repeated her name. “Morrigan, listen to me.”
Perhaps she had cried herself to sleep, overwhelmed by the aftermath of that horrible night.

“Somewhere underneath this house, there is a sewer which serves as a fresh water source for this house and the rest of the area as it brings sweet water from the Sea of Nurnen," Rhys said. "You must find the passage to the sewer; Nadyah can help you find it.” His voice almost broke as he thought of the little girl, who was at this moment all alone and probably afraid. Who was ever to look out and care for her, when he was.. No, he couldn’t think like that.

“Follow the sewer until you reach the Sea,” he continued after a short silence. “And follow the sea banks east as far as you can. Then head south to Harad. It will be a tough road, but if you pack enough food and use the Sea as your fresh water supply, you can make it.”

----------------------------

Quick footsteps sounded on the marble hallway floor. A little girl ran as fast as she could, away from the from the banquet hall. Her long braid trailed behind her and salty tears ran down her cheeks. She had crawled behind Rhys’ back when the Beast started shouting and roaring, but when the soldier came and took Rhys and even the beautiful Lady away, Nadyah ran.
Sometimes she looked over her shoulder. Perhaps the Beast also sent the soldiers after her. To lock her up in a dark room with no lights or throw her into a seas with sea snakes.

All kind of horrible scenarios, which usually only inhabited her darkest dreams, shot through her head as she wandered through the maze of corridors. Her sobs grew louder and all Nadyah wanted was her mother. So that she could hug her and crawl into her arms where she was safe.

Automatically her feet took her to the room where she felt safest; the room of the Lady Morrigan. The door was unlocked and Nadyah ran in. She fell on the fur in front of the fire place and quickly fell asleep.

-------------

Beör let Arawen’s words sink in for a moment. Arawen had never wanted him dead. She had tried to save him. But it was hard to let go of what he had believed in the dark. Her words contradicted her past actions. Arawen had hurt him in too many ways, sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly by just standing there, watching and doing nothing. Beör cringed when recollecting such memories that he usually tried to suppress at day, but which he could not avoid at night.
But today she had saved him. His thoughts were going in circles.

When he heard Arawen’s voice again, he realised that this did not matter. Not now at least. With renewed energy, the ranger got on his feet and hoisted his sack over her shoulder without much effort. He did not dare to ask how long the effect of this potion would last.

His gaze fell on Luthien. Beör walked over to the girl, while Arawen took the lead again. They walked side to side, silently following Arawen for a while like they had done moments ago. But the dark brew had now sharpened Beör’s senses and he detected that something was different about Luthien. A shade of sadness lay upon the usually cheerful and hopeful girl.

“I am sorry, Luthien,” Beör said suddenly. He wanted to say how sorry he was for alarming her, like he had moments ago. That he was sorry for not trying harder. That he was sorry for being the person he was now; damaged and without hope.
All these thoughts, however, he could not into words. So he just repeated his words, because he meant it: “I am really sorry.”

-----------------

The room was dark and cold because the fire had gone out. That was never allowed to happen in the house of Urúvion, but Nadyah had not made her evening round and apparently no other servant had dared to enter Morrigan’s room.
But it was not the cold or draft that had woken Nadyah up. It was the squeaking of the door. A shiver ran down Nadyah’s spine as she felt his presence before she saw him. Slowly she turned around to face the doorway. His towering height and fiery eyes were even more menacing in the dark. A scream was stuck in the back of her throat and Nadyah’s could only sit on the fur and gape at Urúvion, who entered Morrigan’s room.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2014, 8:37 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Túrien_Thalion wrote:
(Hey, could I join this?)

PostPosted: September 21st, 2014, 6:48 am 

Hey Turien Thalien,
I am sorry for not responding. As you might have noticed this RP is semi-active and has been going on a long time with Goldleaf and me. We would like to keep it a private RP, I am sorry.
But please look in the Osgiliath section for there are some discussions going to start up new LOTR-related RPs. :)

PostPosted: September 21st, 2014, 10:22 am 
Maia
Maia

Rhys' voice coming out of the dark was a shock to Morrigan's senses. She had been sitting in silence for so long that she had almost forgotten that there could be anyone else left alive in the world. Numb with cold, she glanced this way and that, edging closer to the thick wall that separated her from Rhys. She pressed herself against it, her fingers brushing against the hard limestone. Her face was screwed up with held back sobs; she was trying very hard not to let go of herself. She clung mentally to the sound of Rhys' voice, but could find no reassurance even in his tone. He was suggesting a way that she could be saved, as he saw it. A way for her to get out, away from here. One day soon she would be released, unlike him, and the opportunity for freedom was apparently hers. But Morrigan saw the situation very differently.

"No," she stammered out the word, slumping away from the wall, as it was brought home to her that there really was no hope, no way out. Rhys didn't understand. "How do you think I could possibly manage such a journey? I'm not strong enough." Morrigan was too frail physically to endure such an undertaking. Food and water were not enough to serve her. She needed a strength that she didn't possess. What if she had another fit? Who would be there to help her in such circumstances? She would be alone, she would not survive. "I'm sorry, Rhys..." She bit down on her lower lip and closed her eyes, cursing herself for her weakness. She drew back her hand, slowly moving it away from the wall. "It wouldn't work. You know it wouldn't. I have to stay here. There's no other way for me." She sounded utterly defeated. In these moments, she hated herself for what had happened. She saw it all as her fault, that she and Rhys were thus imprisoned. She saw it as her fault that Rhys would surely die. Why should he want to help her? She didn't see herself as worth the trouble.

"Thank you, though," she managed to utter, feeling completely choked up. "I'm grateful to you... I mean it."

~~~

Luthien looked up as Beör approached her. There was something strangely empty about the expression on her face. Only a few days ago, she might have smiled brightly and reassured him that there was no need to apologize to her. But something had changed, and Luthien felt it only too sharply. The exchange between Beör and Arawen had unsettled her. Arawen had saved the ranger's life. It had been a good deed, one to be praised, but Luthien felt a strange bitterness about it. Why had she not been able to save Beör herself? She would have given anything to be the one who delivered such a strong gift. But she could not wish herself into the role of saviour. She suddenly felt second best, second rate and unwanted.

"It's alright," she said abruptly, hiding what she felt. She smiled, but it was a meaningless smile, a mere stretch of her lips. "Don't worry. Perhaps... perhaps I've been naive. About a lot of things." She looked away, and continued walking, her gaze moving towards Arawen, who was leading them. She felt a pang of guilt for feeling the way she did. She cared about both Arawen and Beör. But the thought that the two of them might care about each other, even after everything that had happened, was too much to bear.

~~~

Usually Urúvion was a man who noticed everything, but in the darkness of the evening, and in his current mood, he did not notice the intruder in Morrigan's room. He took slow steps into the room, slamming the door shut behind him with a harsh bang. His face was shadowed, but even in the dark his eyes flared with fire and discontent. He moved like a prowling animal, surely and with purpose. His fists clenched and unclenched themselves repeatedly as he walked over to Morrigan's dressing table. He stopped and looked at the luxurious spread of jewels which covered the table, all of them gifts from him. He had given Morrigan everything, and in his eyes she had repaid him with treachery and falseness.

"Look at what I've given you," he murmured to himself, picking up a diamond necklace. He turned towards a window and held the jewels up to the slight gleam of moonlight which shone through the curtains. "I've given you everything." His lips trembled and tears sprung to his fire filled eyes. Suddenly, he hurled the diamonds across the room with a hoarse sob. "Curse you!" he yelled, and dropped himself down onto the floor, hiding his head in his hands, his shoulders shaking. He would never have made such a display had he known someone was watching; he believed himself to be entirely alone. His temper was kindled; he wanted blood for the wrong he saw as having been inflicted on him. He would have Rhys' blood. He would have that young man's head on the block.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: September 25th, 2014, 1:37 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

That's okay :)
I'll do that.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2014, 6:38 pm 

[I am just posting for Rhys right now. Hope you like it! :) ]

Rhys stopped pacing and faced the wall of his cell that was adjacent to that of Morrigan's. With his hands he brushed over the sharp limestone. It was unbreakable; unyielding just like Morrigan's sense of defeat. Rhys did not know how to cope with such a lack of spirit and hope. Back when he had been in training to join the guards of Rammas Echor, he had been taught always to be brave. Fighting for justice, equality and peace was their life's mission. Dying for that cause and to show no fear in the face of such a death was considered an honour.

Even when he no longer wore the uniform of an Gondorian soldier and toiled in the blistering heat of Taurband, he had fought for these values and even more importantly his freedom, so that he might be able to warn his captain of the imminent threat from Mordor and the impending doom of Minas Tirith if the city would be attacked by the Dark forces.

But now, he was locked away here. His death was crawling nearer minute by minute and Rhys could only think of that he was not finished. His death would be useless, serving not any purpose but to satisfy Uruvion's lust for blood. Shivering, Rhys tried not to think of the ways that this cruel man had probably invented to make him suffer before he would meet his end.

Suddenly, Rhys launched his fist into the wall, again and again and again, until flesh was exposed and his knuckles were covered with blood. The tightness in his chest had somehow resolved somewhat. He slumped down against the wall and inspected his hand. He hardly felt the throbbing pain. Tomorrow, however, he would undoubtedly not have this luxury, he thought darkly.

"You enchant me," Rhys said suddenly. "From the first moment we met, you have. There's something about your your eyes, your smile. You're the most beautiful woman I have ever met." From the darkness came no reply. Perhaps Morrigan was asleep or did she think he was joking. Maybe she heard such confessions every day. Rhys's voice was quiet but sincere; he was not joking. He had never bothered with etiquette nor was his personality characterised by shyness. And all shyness that he possessed had faded over the past years. So he could confess these feelings without blushing or feeling the least bit embarrassed.

"This makes you powerful," Rhys continued. "Because you can put men under your spell and let them do your bidding. Every door can be opened for you. All you need to do is realise it."

PostPosted: October 31st, 2014, 12:59 pm 
Maia
Maia

From the other side of the wall, Morrigan could hear Rhys punching the cold, merciless limestone, probably injuring himself to some extent in the process. She wanted to shout out, to tell him to stop, that it would do no good, but her voice felt trapped in her throat. She remained where she was, sitting on the floor, waiting to hear Rhys's voice emerge from out of the darkness again. She felt that he would be disappointed with her for giving up hope so easily; perhaps he might even hate her. She prepared herself for any amount of reproach and harsh words, leaving herself utterly unprepared for what Rhys actually said next.

There was a long pause after he had spoken. Morrigan was unsure if she had imagined his words or not. It took her several moments to realize that she had not, and that Rhys was probably waiting for a reply. There was an odd, nervous sensation in her heart. She remembered the day she had been sent to deliver Rhys to Urúvion; Rhys had told her then that she was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. She had been too nervous to take in his words properly then. But she saw now that she had kindled something in him from that very first day, despite everything. Here he was, a man who seemed to feel true affection for her, although she had no idea why he saw her as worthy.

This affection had to be one of the reasons why Urúvion was sentencing Rhys to death. Urúvion had seen it, sensed the bond that tied Rhys and Morrigan together, and it had enraged him. He saw Morrigan as his own possession; he didn't want Rhys to even be able to look at her. Once Rhys was dead, and no longer a threat to him, Urúvion would be satisfied.

"I don't know what to say," Morrigan eventually mumbled. "You make me feel quite embarrassed. I can't believe that you don't hate me. I wish... I wish that you could be free. You're such a good man, Rhys. You deserve your liberty. I would see you gone from this prison, gone from this place if I could." Was she really as powerful as he said she was? Powerful enough to change Urúvion's mind, to make him lift the sentence of death from Rhys? Such a thing seemed impossible. Urúvion was set on seeing Rhys dead. "You make me feel like I could be brave. I want to be. And so... and so I'll try. I promise." She had to try, no matter how impossible it seemed. She could give up hope for herself, but she could not give up hoping for Rhys.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: October 31st, 2014, 7:48 pm 

It was easy to loose track of time in Mordor. Their surroundings hardly changed as they moved over large ashen planes to the east. The oppressive heat was exhausting and ever present, eventhough the sun was shielded by layers of dust and smoke in the air.

Their daily routines were strict and monotonous, with nothing to distract them. The one who had been on watch during the night would wake the others and they would take small bites and sips of their shrinking provisions as breakfast. Their day's march would at least last from dawn to dust, but sometimes even longer when decided by Arawen. Beör hardly protested against Arawen's authority anymore. The brew had temporarily restored his strengths, but Beör felt its effect fading. And although he was used to being hungry, the lack of food prevented him from gaining the strength he needed. Nor was he granted a good night's rest as he was haunted by the terror of the past years in his sleep. The thought that the years of imprisonment had taken toll on him both mentally and physically, that was too great, plagued him in the waking hours.

But he tried to his best efforts to hide from the others that he was slipping away again. Beör was not the most talkative person. Before Luthien' s arrival, the art of conversation was almost entirely lost on him, so instead of being the conversationalist he just tried to be helpful. Volunteering to take the night watch for example had become a habit by now. It was a relief to escape the horrors of his nightmares and Beör couldn't deny that he felt a tinge of happiness when he was able to gaze at the faint stars at night and be completely alone, while the others had gone to their dream world.

It was during such nights that a tiny voice whispered at the back of his head. It whispered things he had somehow felt, but never consciously thought about. It would not be so bad to die...

On one of these nights, Arawen had woken up and joined him in silence. Dawn was drawing near and Beör knew that if he turned to face east, he would notice some discoloration in the night sky that betrayed the coming of the sun.

Beör had been near to sleep, but he had fought it off successfully. In those few moments of half-consciousness however, when the mind freely wanders over matters that are not real or logical, something occurred to him.

The ranger looked at the young woman next to him.
"What happens if we find a place safe? "

PostPosted: November 1st, 2014, 1:56 pm 
Maia
Maia

Once again, Arawen had been unable to sleep. Her mind was ever active, constantly going over and over the possibilities of how this situation might end. Their supplies of food and water were gradually dwindling, and the threat of being captured never left her thoughts. Death awaited them all if they were ever found. After all this time, Arawen was numb to the thought of death, of no longer existing. She had survived for so many years, but at a terrible cost. If they did succeed in escaping to safety, what could life possibly have in store for her?

She sat beside Beör in silence, thinking over his question. She did not look back at him, choosing instead to keep her gaze fixed on the skyline. Dawn was close; the nearing of another day hung over their heads, and who knew what it would bring. "I don't know," she replied honestly. "There are no safe places for many leagues." If the Mouth of Sauron had spoken the truth, then perhaps nowhere was safe anymore. The Dark Lord was building up his armies everywhere. Arawen felt as if she was standing upon the brink of a great darkness that threatened to consume her; whichever way she might turn, it would chase her and give her no rest. She was so tired. What would it be like just to give up, to close her eyes and say 'no more'? But that was not something she could do. She had sworn that she would bring Beör and Luthien to safety.

Arawen glanced over her shoulder to where Luthien was sleeping. "I envy her peace," she said. "There can be no such rest for me. Nor for you." She looked at Beör now, her blue eyes piercing into him. She knew that he was growing weaker again by the day. The strength the brew had given him could not have lasted forever. "You suffer. I can see it, even if you will not speak of it." She feared that Beör would not survive the journey. He wasn't sleeping and there was not enough food left to sustain him for long. Arawen had considered the idea of her and Luthien, who were both physically stronger than Beör currently was, giving up their share of the remaining rations for him. He needed to be able to survive the next day's long march.

"Just tell me what I have to do," Arawen said quietly. "Tell me how I can make things better. I cannot watch you die."

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2014, 12:30 pm 

"Yes, I believe you can be brave and you can achieve a lot more than you think yourself capable of," Rhys responded. "But I am not the one who should believe it. You need to believe it. You need to want to have courage." He remained silent for a while and thought about the words he said. There are many acts of bravery, ordinary ones, but also the most courageous that would be recorded in history.There were selfless people, who are intuitively brave and there were those who needed a little nudge to do the right thing. He had been one of the latter.

Was he a good man, like she described him? Rhys didn't know. He used to think he was, but life here had changed him. And he knew it wasn't for the better. This land drained the goodness from its people, leaving only hatred and selfishness.

"If you have ever been on the brink of a decision and choose the wrong path, then inevitably you will realise later on that there was a choice, even if it did not seem likely then. You only need the strength and willpower to make the right decision."

Rhys's voice trailed away. He sighed and ran his hand through his hair. The prospect of death did strange things to people. Some people attempted to reconcile themselves with a higher power, others were driven mad by fear. He apparently turned into a philosopher, judging by his own words. Or perhaps he just cared about the girl in the cell next to him and even if he couldn't change his fate for the better, she still could.

---------------------------------

Beör followed Arawen's gaze to Luthien's still form. In the growing daylight, she looked happy and peaceful; an inconsistency in the bleak and depressing landscape of Mordor. "A bright light shines from within her," Beör said, his voice betraying a fondness, that he himself had not realised. "Darkness has not affected her yet. You must bring her home, Arawen. She can still be saved."

He turned back to face the west again, where the mountain chain of Ephel Dúath still lay in the shadows. He was quiet when Arawen spoke again. He had not been able to keep his deteriorating state from her. He should have known that. Arawen had always been very perceptive, but whether it was an innate trait or something she'd developed when Urúvion had taken her under his wing, Beör didn't know. Yet, there was something different about her words. They were not spoken in her usual business-like tone; they were caring, telling him that she cared about whether he lived or died.

"You have watched me die for the past ten years," Beör said softly. He did not sound reproachful, but just like he stated a fact. The ranger turned to Arawen and finally caught her ice blue gaze. "Not much has changed since then, except that I have no fear any more. No fear to die behind bars, but I will die a free man. No fear that everything I kept from Him will be exposed. No fear that I still hate the one person I once came to love."

His voice trailed away and Beör averted his eyes and looked at the ground. He felt that these words demanded some explanation, but he couldn't give it. So Beör continued speaking, his voice sounded almost as exhausted as he felt. "Even if I make it to a place safe, what then? Will I continue life like it was, trying to make up for the life that was stolen from me? Will I try to forget all that has happened? I could do neither."

Ever since they had escaped, these thoughts occupied his mind and speaking of them made the matter more definitive. It was relief to share them now, even though he knew that Arawen would oppose them and if Luthien knew, she would do everything in her power to change his mind.

"To answer your question, I think I can hold out for a little while longer. If I won't, then I will tell you and then it will be time to say our goodbyes and for you to leave me behind."

PostPosted: November 14th, 2014, 2:02 pm 
Maia
Maia

Arawen found it too painful to comment on Luthien again. Beör was right; Luthien could still be saved. But what about them? Could they be saved? Or had they both endured too much suffering for them to ever have the chance of healing? Arawen did her best to mask the expression on her face, to make herself cold and impassive as she had always done. But somehow she could not. As Beör looked at her, she knew that the pain she felt would be all too evident in her features. She clenched and unclenched her fists, willing herself to turn to stone, not to feel, not to think. But it was no use. The ranger's words only made it worse. "You have watched me die for the past ten years." At this, Arawen flinched. She listened to him continue, wishing that she could just get up and walk away. If she was alone, maybe she could cut herself off from feeling anything.

"No fear that I still hate the one person I once came to love."

Arawen looked at Beör, wondering what he meant. She glanced at Luthien again, wondering if Beör was talking about her. After all, it was fairly easy to guess that Luthien had feelings for him; but somehow Arawen didn't think that Beör felt the same way for the young woman. Anyway, he had never hated Luthien, as far as Arawen knew. Arawen watched Beör carefully, a frown forming on her brow. It was an impossible thought, that he could in fact mean her. Wasn't it? Arawen had firmly believed that he still hated her, would always hate her. As for the possibility that he might ever have once loved her - that was too painful to consider. But she found herself considering it now; she found herself remembering those days when they had still been friends, when they had been each other's only company in a dark and lonely prison block. But before she could ask him what he meant, he carried on talking, sounding just as tired as Arawen felt inside her mind.

"Leave you behind?" she repeated, her voice sounding harsher than she'd meant it to. "Are you serious? You had better stop thinking like that. You will have to carry on. You will have to find your strength, for I don't intend to say goodbye to you, and leave you to be slain by some orc, or torn apart by a warg. Don't you think that I feel as hopeless as you? I have no life to go back to either. I have nothing good to go back to, no reason to live, and I will never forget these dark years either. I'm not doing any of this for myself. I can't be saved. But you can, you have to be! Otherwise it was all in vain."

She scrambled up to her feet and glanced towards the mountain range, wanting to look at anything but Beör. "We should make haste soon," she said firmly. Her face was once more a cold landscape, revealing nothing. But her outburst had already revealed to Beör that she cared about what happened to him. Arawen could not help but despair. She felt that it had been far better, far safer for her when he had seen her as no longer a person capable of caring.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: January 28th, 2015, 6:56 pm 

[At last another post! :) ]

The ranger watched how Arawen walked back to the campsite. There was a sadness in his blue eyes as he watched her go. It had become a familiar sight to see her turn on her heels, her expression cold and thoughts even harder to grasp. But never before had so much remained unsaid between them.

He sat still like a statue, but his heart was beating fast now he finally said out loud what he had longed for when caught between those stone walls and what inevitably seemed to happen now he had escaped: he was going to die.
There was some comfort in the knowledge that he now could choose his own ending at his terms. He was not powerless and enslaved to the dark forces, coerced into sharing information that could lead to the ruin of the world he held dear.

The irony was that, after everything had happened, he would never see that world again. Was that even still possible? Had the world not been covered by darkness yet again? Or had they indeed found the one weapon, there had been whispers about, to defeat the Enemy?

Beör didn't know. But there was one thing that he longed for more than to feel the grass under his bare feet again and to smell fresh scent of spring. He would give anything to see these dark lands destroyed, along with all its evil inhabitants. Deep inside Beör, there was a great hunger for vengeance, to hurt as he had hurt. But that would probably never happen.

Slowly Beör got up and picked up his bag and walked to Arawen. He glanced from the brunette to the still form of Luthien near the extinguished fire. In the first light, the deep lines in his face and the first visible grey hairs made him look older.

"Take care of her," Beör quietly said to Arawen. "She will pull you into the light again. All you have to do is not let go."

Then the ranger kneeled down next to Luthien and gently nudged her arm. "Luthien, it's time. We have to go. "

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next