Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 713 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Over hill, over dale....The Journey of the Three
PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 3:42 am 
Ent
Ent

Athilda sat in stunned silence as Dunhama relayed the somber news; She cringed in fear at the thought of so many Uruks marching their way towards them as they spoke. She shivered as Dunhama wrapped her hand in his, for though she was grateful for the warmth, she knew that so many of Kings' people were going without.
She cast her gaze down as she followed the grain of the wooden table, seeming to be lost in her own thoughts. As she looked into his deep eyes-her eyes red and puffy from the amount of crying she had done- she began to lose the negative thoughts. Then she felt his fingertips graze her cheek, her jawline before finally resting on the back of her neck with her hair gently woven through his fingers; despite her sadness, Athilda found hope being rekindled in her hear at his nearness, at his touch.
It was when he spoke that she realized his feelings about her, and she couldn't help the blush rising to her cheek as she too stood, still facing him.
Before he turned to leave, Athilda reached up and placed a delicate hand on his scruffy cheek, then she leaned towards him and kissed him gently on his cheek. As she pulled away, she released her hand too, allowing it to fall by her side.
"Dunhama, there....there is something I wish for you to have." A permanent blush resounded as she reached inside a small pouch at her side and withdrew something small wrapped in a small piece of her tunic. She handed it to him, and when he opened it, it revealed a lock of her rich brown hair.
"I wish for you to return it to me...when this..." she closed her eyes as she referenced the battle, then opened her eyes once more and continued. "...when this is over. This is your promise to me, Dunhama." A tear glistened as it slid down her cheek. "You must promise to return to me."

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 8:45 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Dunhama was frozen. He blinked as he looked at the long lock that curled out of the cloth in his hand. He touched it gently then looked up at Athilda as the dread and fear heavy in the air swirled around them like an unseen smoke. How could he make such a promise? He would not break a promise made to Athilda, yet, if they were overrun, how could he return to her? The strain showed on his face and his hand shook. He closed his hand around the lock of hair and stuffed the torn piece of Athilda’s tunic in his belt. He rubbed the beautiful lock of hair between his forefinger and thumb, and he looked hard at Athilda. He could see where she had cut it from, and his other hand reached and touched the short curl on the side of her head. He said in hard words that caught in his throat,

”This will return to you m’lady, by my hand. I will strive to keep this promise, and with all power in me and may be blessed to me, it will be so.”

His head nodded as he felt strengthened by her words. As his hand came down from where she cut the lock, it brushed her cheek and collected a fresh tear running from her eye as it mingled with a spent one. He took the droplet and put it to his lips and kissed it as he drank it. Dunhama started to blush and said…

”M’lady…. What I said… I er…”

Athilda’s finger came to his lips and he stopped trying to say what he felt. She knew. Dunhama took in a deep breath as he reached to his neck and removed the pendant of his mother’s. He opened the chain and slid the pendant off, put it into Athilda’s hand, and closed her fingers around it.

”Please take care of this for me. It’s my mother’s. I don’t want to lose it…”

“Athilda, you are needed!”

Lady Eowyn’s voice said down the stone hall. Athilda turned, then turned back to Dunhama as a rugged soldier came by and said to Dunhama,

”You, what is your assignment?”

“I don’t have one.”

Dunhama said not taking his eyes off Athilda. The soldier then said after looking him over,

”Dunlanding eh…. Well you’re on the right side. Come with me.”

“ATHILDA!”

Came an exasperated voice from Lady Eowyn as she walked up.

”We need to get the lesser wounded bandaged so they can take up position on the wall, and help the more serious! Come! Many of the healing servants have taken up arms and are on the wall!”

Dunhama was going one way and Athilda was going another. He took her hand and let his fingers entwine with hers for one last touch as they slid apart. Athilda looked back once before turning and following Lady Eowyn to the healing room. Dunhama watched her as he wrapped the lock of hair around the chain that had held the pendent and he returned it around his neck, tucking the lock into his tunic. He then turned and followed the soldier.

Those he had gathered were stationed by the deeping wall where it met the Hornburg. The archers lined the wall, and they being the sword and akemen, were to be the second line to move up should the ladders get placed. He looked out over the wall, and he could see Ergon bringing the last of the stragglers in, setting traps as he went. The darkening skies defied the nearness of the Uruks with their fondness of torches. The dull red glowed on the horizon. Dunhama stepped back to his position and stood, his hand to his chest as his fingers felt the end of Athilda’s lock that wrapped around the chain. A low murmur and then a cheer went up when they saw the lost traveler running up the rampart. He returns! The grey clad men that were up the stair a ways from where Dunhama stood took joy as they spoketo each other in a language unknown to him. Dunhama was looking at them when one turned and looked back at him, as if he sensed Dunhama's eyes on him. Dunhama nodded in a slight bow and straightened his stance. They, along with Athilda’s lock, in some way instilled confidence in Dunhama. He was ready. All they had to do now was wait.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 12:46 pm 
Ent
Ent

Athilda could see the anguish in Dunhamas' eyes as he fought inwardly with the doubts that struggled to pull him into despair, but she did not waver. She knew that what she was asking was beyond his control, but she also knew that if she didn't make this request, then she would already be throwing flowers on his grave. His voice stirred her and caused a spark of hope to light within her soul.
She saw his confidence return to him as he touched her hair, yet when he spoke again, his voice betrayed his nerves. Athilda shook her head quickly, lifted her finger and gently rested it on his lips. As she gazed into his eyes, she smiled. He didn't have to say anything for their feelings for each other were one in the same.
She loved him.
Before she could speak, Dunhama was removing his mothers' pendant and placing it in her hand. Her eyes widened at the gesture and she nodded. Her gaze was suddenly drawn to the hall as the Lady Eowyn called out her name.
"Yes my Lady." She answered quickly. Before she walked away, she turned as a soldier addressed Dunhama.
Her eyes widened slightly in a different kind of fear as the solider assessed Dunhamas' race. She felt as though her heart stopped beating and time stopped for a moment as they gazed into each others' eyes.
No, it's not possible. She thought to herself. But the fact that he did nothing to object to the assessment solidified in her mind that it was true.
She heard the Lady's voice, but did not register what she said; all she knew was that the man she loved was a Dunlanding and that he was being taken away from her. Athilda squeezed his hand- that he hand entwined with hers-just before his grip released her hand.
"Dunhama." She spoke softly as she turned to look at her love one last time before being separated. As she turned the corner to follow the Lady down the hall to the healing rooms, Athilda clutched his mothers' pendant to her heart. Once she entered the room, Athilda quickly found a leather tie, threaded the pendant onto it then tied it around her neck.
As the two women went around the room, Athilda quickly realized the gravity of the situation. She worked quickly and effeciantly to heal those who had only minor injuries, either by the work of water and a wrap, or by her healing herbs she kept in her pouch that sat on her hip.
Once those with minor injuries were healed, they were then sent up to the armory where they were prepared for battle. As she worked, Athilda constantly raised prayers of safety for both the injured and for her love.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 7:46 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Commotion began to rise in the crowds as Kano sat silently. He focused and centered his mind, calming his nerves. It would do him no good to get worked up over the upcoming battle. Calmer and cooler beads generally prevailed in such things.

Before long a wall guard came and found him.

"You ready then?" The man asked grimly.

"Aye," Kano said. "That I am." Kano stood to his feet and joined the man. He walked past the dinning hall before leaving, just seeing Dunham and Athilda part ways. He gave a nod and a wave to them both, then continued on his way.

The guard took him to the armory, giving him a chainmail suit and light leather armor over top. He was left with his short sword and given a bow and arrows in addition. He was taken to a spot on the wall in the middle row of archers.

"Can you shoot straight, lad?" The man asked.

Kano glanced out at the army before them. "At the distance and numbers... I'll hit something."

"I'm sure you will," The man replied. "Just make sure it's one of those beasts." The man pointed out into the attacking army.

Kano nodded and stood his ground until given orders.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 8:27 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

The darkness came, and along with it the eerie flicker of the Uruk’s torches. Dunhama was examining his sword he was given, and could see that it had history. One soldier, helmless with a bandage around his head, was standing near him. He put his hand on Dunhama’s shoulder and said,

”It is a good sword, forged in the smithy of Dunharrow. It has blood on it… blood I dare say of your people?”

Dunhama turned and looked at the man, and he recognized him as the father of the young boy and the girl with the broken ankle. Dunhama said,

“I am Rohirrim! I have lived in Rohan all my life! My people are Rohirrim! Has this sword killed Rohirrim?”

Dunhama had let the first comment about his father’s heritage go earlier, but to have a second one come, he burned with anger and fear. The father stepped back and out his hand up.

”I meant no offense young master. I am most grateful to you and your friends for all they did for my family on the trek from Edoras, and I will be forever indebted to you for that. But your look… the darkness of your hair and eyes, fierceness in your face, and the axe you carry all says Dunlanding. But there is much mingling of blood between the two peoples, especially from the Westmarch. Be that mingling be from love or war, it is accepted, and each man and woman is judged on their deeds. It is the Rohirrim way even if some are ignorant of that.”

Dunhama relaxed his grip on his sword hilt and looked down. He thought of his mother and instinctively reached for her pendant. His fingers felt the soft silky lock of Athilda’s hair on the chain, and he closed his eyes. Many questions he has had through his short lifetime were answered in this soldier’s words. Always he had pieces of the puzzle which he would find among his mother’s possessions, but never did she speak of it. He could see the look on her face when he had questioned her about his father, and he now knew why she had fled the Westmarch for Edoras with him. Dunhama’s fingers felt long Athilda’s lock, and he brought it to his face and breathed in her scent and kissed it before returning it inside his tunic. He opened his eyes and said,

”My pardon sir, for I had no right to raise my voice to you. There is much I don’t know.”

The soldier patted Dunhama on the shoulder and asked,

”Have you done any fighting?”

“Only as a kid with other boys who…”

The soldier cut him off and said,

”Well, we need to teach you a couple basics then.”

He drew his sword and motioned for Dunhama to lift his. The soldier showed Dunhama some basic moves of defense, and the best way to quickly kill an orc. They ceased and returned to their positions as the Uruks formed up before the Hornburg. There was a creepy silence from both sides when rain started to fall. Their archers were ready while grunts from the Uruks could be heard. Dunhama looked over and saw Ergon with his arrow ready. He wasn’t sure if he weakened his grip, or decided to let off his shot, but his arrow flew true and pierced an orc’s neck right between his armor. The traveling Ranger who had returned to them late called out for them to hold their fire, and the Uruk’s erupted into a charge.

The arrows were loosed onto the Uruks, and their arrows started raining down upon the defenders from the dark rainy skies. This was it Dunhama thought as the first death fell next to him. The soldier-father fell backwards with an arrow piercing his eye…

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 10:16 pm 
Ent
Ent

While the soldiers and men stood on the wall with weapons drawn, Athilda, the Lady Eowyn and several other servants worked as quickly as they could to heal and mend the wounded. And while she gave her full attention to each man, woman and child, her mind was occupied with thoughts of Dunhama.
Would she ever see him again?
Would he explain his heritage to her, or was it a sensitive subject?
How would the other soldiers take him being a Dunlanding?
What if he were wounded and the soldiers did nothing due to his lineage.

The last thought caught her off guard and she gasped as the Lady Eowyn placed a hand on her shoulder.
Athilda nearly jumped out of her skin, but when she turned, she noticed her Ladyships' grave expression.
"We need to make haste, Athilda! There is no time to spare for we must get all the able-bodied men healed and in arms before-"
Eowyn stopped at the sound of a harsh war cry. Athilda and those around her froze in place from fear and dread as the dreadful sound reverberated off the walls until they seeped into the healing chamber. Athilda let out a breath and with a trembling hand reached for and held his mothers' pendant; after sending up a prayer, she turned back to the man whose arms' and legs were bruised and cut and finished tending to his wounds.
After what seemed like hours passing by, Athilda had sent up dozens of men to the armory, who although they were healed physically, seemed to be mentally worn out. Some of these men were elderly, and most of them were merely boys, taking their fathers' place if they chose too. Athilda couldn't help but feel deep sorrow as these men and boys went up to fight, leaving behind the women and their children.
Thoughts of her past awakened within her, but she desperately pushed them aside and began to work on healing the men whose wounds were worse than those before. Thankfully, there were not many who suffered these kinds of wounds, although there were a great handful. Athilda worked dilligently and gracefully. She set bones back into place and secured them, she sewed gaping wounds closed and crushed up countless herbs and applied them to tender areas.
Once they finished this work, she realized that she was covered in blood, so she quickly went to the washing station. But as she was about to dip her hands into the basin of water, she saw ripples disturbing the waters' surface. Then she heard a dull thud. Again. And again. And again. Then a great crash sounded just above them.
"Athilda, Yondel, Astrid, Demila! We must get these people to safety. We must retreat into the cavern. Hurry! We must make haste!"
The Lady Eowyn was firm and calm, but something about her tone seemed frantic and frightened.
Athilda neglected the basin and instead turned and aided the men and women to stand and make themselves ready for the small trek into the mountain. Once ready, the Lady Eowyn led the way down many halls, stairs and corridors, until eventually they reached the cavern.
Athilda then helped the people become comfortable by passing out blankets, and what little food they had left. As she walked around aiding those in need, Athilda prayed yet again that Dunhama would return to her unscathed.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 11:58 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Dunhama saw the men fall from the wall one by one. He sheathed his sword and picked up a fallen archer’s bow and grabbed all the arrows he had left. He had not used one before, but worked at firing a few down into the waves of Uruks. He wasn never sure, but some of his arrows found their mark. An arrow flew past him, the fin cutting some of his hair as it went past. He instinctively ducked and looked about to his right. Seeing what looked like men moving against the far edge of the deeping wall, he fired several arrows in that direction. The men wore little armor other than leathers, and he could see them fall to his arrows in their torchlight. His last arrow hit a torchbearer in the leg and he fell, setting fire to his comrade as they cursed in a rough language. One of the Dunlandings looked up at him as he picked up a torch. He looked grim and fierce, with a scrappy thin beard and dark hair and dark beads for eyes.

Someone yelled to Dunhama and he turned his head.

”Beware the ladders!”

A siege ladder clapped onto the wall and an orc jumped off, impaling himself onto Dunhama’s quickly-drawn sword. He hacked and hewed at the others coming up the ladder, but in the end, there were too many of them and to few Rohirrim there to stop them all. A voice called from up the stair in a foreign sounding Westron tongue. One of the grey clad men yelled to him,

”Run! Up here boy!”

Dunhama looked around to see he was the only one left alive facing that ladder. The others hadall been killed, been forced right along the Deeping Wall, or up the stair where the Dunedain were. Dunhama started to run to the stair when something loud shattered the air. A flash of white covered him as the wall exploded into many chunks. Dunhama didn’t reach the stair, for he was blown back off the crumbling wall. His ears could only hear muffled sounds, and after the white flash, only blackness he could see. He felt as if he was falling slowly, and in that blackness he could see Athilda, bloodied and crying. He dress was tattered and torn as she used it for bandages, and she faded away into the blackness….

Dunhama hit the ground hard and rolled, splashing into the trickle of the creek. The chill water on his face woke him some, but he was stunned and bruised. The muffled sounds became louder as the charge of the Uruk’s and Dunlandings poured through the broken wall toward him. He could see others running down to fill the void, but right now, Dunhama was all that stood before them. He reached for his sword but it was gone. All he had was his axe, and he took it and gripped it and stood tall. When the first Dunlanding reached him, he swung the axe and split his head. The second Dunlanding he cut deep into his chest. He battled several more Dunlandings before others reached him. The Dunedain and the Elves and the dwarf among them. The clash was chaotic and Dunhama hacked away in shock at the Uruks that now pressed into them. Dunhama embedded his axe into the skull of one but could not retrieve it. He let it go as he kicked him in the chest, and he fell backward as a Dunlanding axe hit him in the head….

As he fell back, again it seemed like he fell slowly. Sounds grew muffled and far away. He spun around when another blow hit his arm. One of the Dunedain killed the Dunlanding attacking him, and he dragged Dunhama back behind some rubble before rejoining hsi kinsmen. Dunhama fell to the ground clutching Athilda’s lock of hair in his hand…

Had he died? Could he not keep his word to Athilda? A crushing foot upon him would break his scrambled vision as he lay there in the rubble unmoving. The Dunedain man that helped him tried to get back to him and help him retreat into the keep. The orcs were knocking the door with the ram and it was about to break. The men fell back from the Deeping and secured themselves inside, leaving many dead and wounded in the field. Dunhama only survived not being hacked up by orcs by not moving and barely breathing. Blood flowed freely from his head, face, and arm as he heard song in his head. He dreamed of walking with Athilda through the tall grasses by a lake, and there they swam and laughed and had no care. His hand held tight to the lock of hair as he faded away. The Orcs and Dunlandings had passed him as he lay among the dead. To anyone who looked hard, it would appear that Dunhama too was dead, with his severe wounds and loss of blood. This likely saved him from being hacked to death by passing orcs who took delight in killing. But his fingers would rub the lock of hair in his hand now and again.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 25th, 2017, 8:38 pm 
Ent
Ent

(Ok, so just a forewarning, this post is going to be quite simple and to the point of action...i.e. when Athilda and Dunhama are reunited.)

All through the night, Athilda was serving those around her, but not a moment went by that she did not think of Dunhama and Kano. She wondered if they were alright, and though she tried to remain hopeful through the terrifying sounds the enemy made above them, she feared for Dunhamas' life. She feared for the lives of all the men and boys who had to take up arms. Her thoughts and fears were brought to life as the Lady Eowyn ordered her and the others to go out to the field and tend to the wounded.
As she made her way out to the plain, she nearly fainted at the sight of all the dead that laid strewn on the ground. Once she was able to compose herself, she checked every man and boy that lay on the ground to see if any had survived. She found many who barely lived, but due to her timing and the abilities which she learned, she was able to save them and call for the able-bodied to carry those healed into the inner quarters for rest.
The day wore on, and as weary and as bloodied as she was, she made her way into the area where some sort of blast had occurred. It was there that she saw him.
"Dunhama..." She spoke to no one, then forgetting her exhaustion, she sprinted over to him, kneeled down next to him, and with a trembling hand reached out and touched his head and stroked his hair.
"My love...."Her voice quivered with emotion, and soon her eyes spilled tears of sorrow. "Dunhama!"
Thinking him dead, Athilda leaned over him and rested her head in his neck and rested one hand on his chest and the other on his bicep. After a brief moment, she felt something....she heard...his heartbeat?!
Athilda leaned away and looked down at him, her hands cupping his face.
"Dunhama? Dunhama, wake up!" Her voice sounded urgent and she quickly withdrew her water, then gently poured a bit on the side of his head-where his injury was-and the rest, she used to wipe his face clean of the blood. "Dunhama, you must wake up!"

PostPosted: February 25th, 2017, 9:37 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

(OOC: Have had company most of the day, so sorry for the lack of posting)

Kano had been stationed on the wall when he caught sight of a lone arrow released into the Uruk army. One fell, an order to hold fire was give, and the enemy began to charge... It all happened so fast! He thought they would have had more time... more time for... something, anything. He didn't know what he expected.

Kano pushed the fear out of his mind and when the order was given he released arrow after arrow into the up coming enemy. He caught sight of several of his arrows taking down an enemy and he felt proud to have at least done a little good in this fight. A chance to prove himself, perhaps.

As the uruks approached he heard someone yell something about ladders. Shortly after a large steal arrow of sorts shot past him, taking a fellow soldier flying away with it. Kano ducked, as fortune would have it. It did no good to evade the steal arrow which was already past but as his reflexes ducked in an after thought he dodged an uruk arrow that would have struck him square in the chest. To his horror the man behind him fell dead as the arrow sailed over him and pierced his fellow in the neck.

Yells rang out, but in the commotion Kano could barely hear what was being said. Then, the attention seemed to be fixated on some strange uruk carrying an odd torch. The ranger hollored something and the elf shot arrow after arrow into the beast who simply refused to go down. At long last the wall, with an ear splitting bang, flew into pieces.

Kano was free of the blast, as fortune would have it, but rocks and rubble rained down on him. "Return to the keep!" he heard the cry go out. "Return to the keep!"

By this the enemy had flooded the walls and surged in through the breach, walking over the bodies of those downed in the explosion. Kano, for the first time, drew his short sword as he was face to face with the enemy. He felt well, looking around at him and the ten Rohirim that were with him, facing only three orcs, but two of the rohirim fell quickly. Kano narrowly escaped a swing from the nearest enemy as another soldier took the brunt of the blow with his own blade. Given the pause in combat as the blades clashed Kano rushed in and stabbed the creature through the heart. It fell to the ground as black blood ran down his sword and onto the hilt.

"To the keep!" The cry rang out again.

The last of the orcs at Kano's location on the wall fell and him and the seven remaining rohirim retreated to the keep. Things were looking bleak. They tried to brace the doorway, but the enemy was breaking through, the king was injured, and their numbers were dwindling. The Ranger and the dwarf made their exit to buy more time and Kano helped brace the gates.

At long last, however, they were reduced to a single decision to stay and wait to be slaughtered, or to ride out and meet the enemy head on. The king, and men alike, agreed a more noble death would be that of a head to head fight. They mounted up, those with horses.

"Can you ride, lad?" a soldier asked.

"I can, well enough for the moment," Kano replied.

"Brave man," he said, patting Kano's shoulder. "This horse belonged to a good friend of mine... he fell before he made it back to the keep. You'll watch over the animal for him?"

Kano looked at the magnificent black steed. He was tall, wide, and muscular. A magnificent war horse if ever Kano had seen one. His mane was long and curled and his rohirim saddle of traditional style. "I will," Kano finally said. "I will ride him into battle in honor of your fallen friend and all those who sacrifice this day."

Kano climbed atop the horse and the gates were opened. Though he was proud to be in this charge, fear threatened to paralyze him. Fortunately the horse was well trained and knew what to do without Kano's instruction. All Kano had to do was swing his sword at any enemies that came in range. Several he was sure he missed entirely, most he felt his blade hit armor or his opponent's blade. A few, however, he could feel cut through something softer. He didn't look back, however, to see if the enemy fell.

It was in this moment that Kano felt at peace with his death. This would be his end, but as had been said... If this was to be their end, they should make it such an end....

But then... against all expectation in Kano's mind, help arrived with the rising of the sun and before Kano knew what exactly had happened the enemy was in full retreat. It was only then that he felt the burning in his legs and looked down to see them both severely cut in several places, blood soaking his pants and light leather armor that no doubt had saved his legs from being cut to the bone. In spite of his wounds a smile formed to his face and wonder filled his head.

It was over? So soon? "We won?" he asked audibly.

"Aye," a voice came from behind him. "We won." Kano turned to see the man who had lent him the horse and his smile widened. "You have done Sage proud and his old owner would be honored you road him to battle in his place."

"Thank you," Kano bowed his head. "I will have him back to the stables right away, sir."

The man shook his head. "Keep him. He will need a brave new owner." With a smile the man road off, leaving Kano in the sea of faces.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 7:07 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

(Thanks for catching the battle up Jax)

Dunhama floated in darkness, drifting. A drop of water hit his face as a voice, soft and smooth as sable drifted into his head. Another drop of water, and then more. Rain, it must be raining again. He saw the vision of Athilda leaning over him, her long hair dripping in stringy strands He wanted to kiss her then, but he had never kissed a girl before, let alone a woman…. Gentle touches, and more water on his face… he opened his eyes, but only one could see. There above him was a silhouette of an angel. He had heard stories of afterdeath at the tavern, but he was young and strong. He gave it no thought.

”Dunhama! Wake Up!”

He heard as more water splashed his face and healing hands ran over him. Dunhama tried to open his mouth, no words came. He tried to lift his arm, but it would not move. It remained frozen, hi shand on his chest clutching the lock of hair.

”Dunhama! You must wake up!”

He tried to move his other arm, and pain shot all the way to his neck. He didn’t care. He reached for Athilda as she brushed his face with her hand. He was alive! And it was raining! He mumbled lightly,

”Athilda! You live! We won?"

She nodded as she smiled.

"I dreamed you were taken by Dunlandings and enslaved and…”

“Don’t talk Dunhama, rest...”

she said softly as she looked into his eye. She wiped the other eye and he was able to open it. He reached again for her, and feeling her entangled hair, his other hand squeezed the lock of hair. She looked hard at the wound on his head, and he drew her to him and kissed her as he closed his eyes. Her lis were soft and true, and Dunhama shuddered in joy. She lifted her head and brushed his face with her fingers as he took deep breaths, his strength spent.

”You found a live one m’lady?”

A man said as he came by, laying a cloak over Athilda.

Another man nearby called out,

”Here is one of the scum still breathing. I’ll finish him…”

The Dunlanding soldier lay there in the rubble outside the keep not far away from where Athilda and Dunhama were. He expected no mercy from the Rohirrim, and at any time expected his life to be ended as soon as he was discovered alive. He lay there still looking up at the grey sky letting the rain wash his face. When a man shadowed his face and looked down upon him, the Dunlanding tensed, but then relaxed.

”No! There has been enough killing!”

a voice called out. The Dunlanding didn’t know, or could he see who the person was who called out. But he let out a breath as the man’s sword was sheathed. He reached down and dragged up to his feet and sat him down of some rubble. The Rohirrim soldier seethed as he said to him.

”Who are you, where are you from, and why are you here?”

Exhausted, he said as he watched a woman lean over a man he had fought with briefly.

”Wulgov of Enedwaith, and lies and broken promises.”

The man stared at him but was silent for a time. He then said,

”Well, the King has given mercy to you who lived. You will help clean up this mess you made, and you can start by helping carry that brave man over there into the keep.”

He pointed to where the other man stood, and where Athilda knelt by Dunhama.

====

(I did a bit of an edit to the end as I want to bring in a character of mine I had used heavily in other collab writing projects. His backstory only said that he fought at Helms Deep, and thought this tale would be a good place to help develop that part of his story. Hope nobody minds)

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Last edited by Hanasian on February 26th, 2017, 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 11:03 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Kano road wearily back to the keep and where the injured were cared for. Now that his adrenaline high from the battle had subsided he felt absolutely horrid. All the cuts on his legs made them feel like they were on fire, every muscle in his body ached tremendously, something hurt his left shoulder every time he moved it, and he felt as though he had not slept in days. His horse, Sage, knew where to go and Kano was happy of this. He relaxed as the stallion carried him back to the crowds in Helms Deep.

He glanced at the breach in the wall as he road back. There were bodies everywhere... a few men standing and someone kneeling over a body that lay on the ground. He could not tell who it was or whether the one laying on the ground was alive or dead. He wondered of his new friends. What had become of them? He prayed they had both survived.

Once he made it to where they took the wounded he tried to dismount the horse but his legs simply would not hold out. He collapsed to the ground, practically falling off the horse. He drug himself to a sitting position, back against a large stone. The black stallion stood by his side, almost as if to watch over him.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 6:36 pm 
Ent
Ent

Athilda smiled as relief washed over her like a fresh wave washes onto the shore. Her smile began to fade as she started to inspect his head wound, but as she felt his fingers become entangled in her long, dark hair, she immediately felt flutters in her stomach. A smile graced her lips and she blushed, but before she could recover from this feeling or tend to him, she felt his lips gently press against hers. The kiss was gentle, kind, and full of love. As she pulled away from him, she traced the features of his face lightly and tenderly with her fingertips.
She pulled away- blushing- and turned as she heard a firm voice above her.
"Aye, sir. He lives."
The man then laid a cloak over her shoulders, which she took and placed over Dunhama. She was about to address the man when she turned to see the solider lift up his sword. She looked away swiftly as she could not bear to see another death when suddenly the Kings' voice rang out, strong and true. A breath escaped her lips and she lifted up a silent prayer of gratitude for King Theoden's intervention.
After a few moments, she heard the solider order the enemy to carry Dunhama into the keep. Fear began to seep into her bones as she heard Wulgov limp over to them. Athilda rested her hand on Dunhamas' arm to calm her nerves, but she flinched when the Dunlanding looked into her eyes as he picked Dunhama up in his arms.
She rose with the man and began to walk with him as he carried her love.
"You must take him to the inner quarters. Please tell the healers that I will be in shortly to relieve them."
As she gave these instructions, she couldn't help but notice a hint of something in the Dunlandings' eyes. Regret? Sorrow?
For now, she would not think of it, but come later, perhaps she would find out.

(Hi friends! Sorry I've been MIA for the past few days; life got a bit hectic. But Hanasian, I love this character your bringing in! As I was writing this post, I was thinking of a few ideas....possibly??)

PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 10:59 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Wulgov saw the lady’s eyes burn through him, and he looked down. The soldier took the cloak and wrapped Dunhama in it, and he and Wulgov lifted Dunhama. The soldier started forth in the lead and Wulgov followed, and Dunhama let Athilda’s hand go and he clutched the lock tightly. He took comfort in hearing her voice say she would be along to tend his wounds shortly, and closed his eyes and let the rain splash his face. Once the two carriers cleared the rubble and had made their way to what was left of the stair, they worked their way in through the keep. They had nearly gained the inner quarter for the seriously wounded when a woman yelled,

”Dunlanding! Scum!”

She spit in Wulgov’s face, and he kept moving with the soldier. The disturbance got others talking and grumbling… those who had lost family in the Westfold. Many threw threats toward Wulgov, some threw things at him. Someone said loudly over the din as they came to the inner chamber.

”They carry a Dunlanding!”

The anger started to flair, and the guard at the door of the inner chamber stepped in the way of the lead carrier. He said,

”We don’t allow your kind in here. Take him to the courtyard!”

“But he’s Rohirrim! He fought and was almost killed after the wall was broken!”

The guard looked at Dunhama and scowled. He said,

”Looks Dunlandish to me. To the courtyard!”

The guard’s hand gripped the hilt of his sword and stared the man down. He was going to argue the point, but he was tired. He turned and they went up the stair and onto the open courtyard where the wounded Dunlanding prisoners lay. They sat Dunhama down, and Wulgov said to the Rohirrim man.

”He does not belong here with us!”

“I agree, and I’m sure it will get worked out. Do you want to get that wounded leg looked at?"

The man lay the cloak over Dunhama to help shield him from the rain, and looked about. There was one person attending the nearly one hundred wounded that were there. He shook his head and they both headed back out to the field to search for more survivors.

Wulgov thought of Dunhama as he walked back to the field. The look of the boy Dunhama, his face … he pondered his face. Wulgov scratched his brow and thought back. He did look somewhat like his brother in ways. He looked out and thought, adding the seasons since his brother was slain by the Rohirrim slave he had taken as wife. He said to himself,

”It can’t be!”

Last edited by Hanasian on March 1st, 2017, 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 11:33 pm 
Ent
Ent

(Oh my goodness, such a good post! And poor Dunhama!)

After the men left Athilda, she immediately began walking around and tending to the wounded, and whenever the wounded were picked up by the Dunlanding, she couldn't help but wonder at him. Something about him drew her curiosity, but what it was, she knew not. As she worked though, she began to become overwhelmed by the amount of the dead lying on the ground. It was only then when she noticed the young, lifeless faces did she realize just how many mothers were now sonless. She brought a hand to cover her mouth as she stood to gaze out at the sea of bodies surrounding her.
"All this....for power...?"
Athilda stood there for a long time, her gaze far away as tears streaked down her muddy and blood splattered cheeks. It was only after she heard two sets of footsteps behind her that she wiped her tears away and turned quickly to tend to the other wounded men. As she turned, however, she ran straight into the Dunlanding who had helped carry Dunhama to safety.
Athilda stumbled back, and unable to find her footing amongst the dead and the mud, she tripped and fell back straight into a pile of soft, wet mud.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2017, 12:14 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Wulgov stumbled on his bad leg when Athilda ran into him. He tried to catch the woman before she fell but he too lost his balance and went over. He strained to push himself with his legs so he would not land on the woman, but his leg gave way and he fell, just missing the lady. Mud and water splashed everywhere as he went face down into it while the lady struggled to try and get up. Wulgov managed to get an eye open and saw the woman turning around in the mud next to him. The smirk of his mouth was greeted with wet runny mud getting into his mouth and he sputtered. If he wasn’t a prisoner of the Rohirrim, and he wasn’t laying in the mud with the dead of his countrymen and of the Rohirrim, may whom he himself had killed, he could see the humor of what they must look like. He managed to get sat up and said to the woman,

”Use my shoulders to push against, and you should be able to stand up.”

Athilda wiped mud from her eye as best she could with her muddy sleeve and looked at Wulgov. He was squinting through the mud on his face back at her.

Last edited by Hanasian on November 25th, 2017, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 1st, 2017, 5:13 am 
Ent
Ent

Athilda flinched and held her arms in front of her face as she saw the Dunlanding nearly fall on top of her, then breathed a sigh of relief as he landed merely inches from where she lay. As she scrambled to stand up, she would loose her footing or begin to stand on the hem of her dress and fall to the muddy earth again and again.
She sighed in frustration, then wiped the mud from her face with her sleeve and looked at him in suspicion and curiosity.
"Why are you helping me, when you have already slain most of these men that lay before us?"
As she studied him with a harsh gaze, she realized from his own appearance of mud covering him, just how foolish they must have appeared to anyone watching. Her gaze softened as she saw the mud covering his face slowly make it's way down into his open mouth, then she glanced down at her hands which lay in her lap.
"Forgive me, sir." She spoke as she attempted to wipe the excess mud off her skirts. "You were only offering your kindness in the midst of your own....suffering."
She eyes caught his, and for a brief moment, they shared an unmistakeable bond with each other.
Athilda quickly caught the moment and dropped her gaze immediately, grateful for the mud which covered her now red cheeks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 713 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 45  Next