Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 713 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Over hill, over dale....The Journey of the Three
PostPosted: February 12th, 2018, 12:28 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Dunhama made fair time getting around the column to get to Theoden, and the ordered Dunhama to ride forward to tell Eomer. He set out and passed the wagon with Athilda, Railan, and Wulgov, but he knew it not. Railan gently elbowed Athilda and leaned to her ear,

”There rides Dunhama!”

Athilda looked up and saw the rider disappear ahead. What urgency had sent him on his errand?

It was here noonday when Dunhama returned. He started to pause to talk to King Theoden, but Saw Athilda on the wagon in front of his column of riders.

”My lady!”

He cried as his horse paused and turned. He came up to the wagon and reached his hand to Athilda’s, and looked deep in her eyes. She appeared wan, her face pale and her eyes red with spent tears. He took a deep breath as his look of love embraced her. He was in haste, and as much as he wished he could rest for a time and hold his wife in his arms, he knew he could not. He had to get back to Deorwine and ride hard west. He said to himself as he rode with speed,

“Let us get this war won so we can get back to our lives!”

As soon as he was back, he changed horses and Elfhild rode his company out, following Halmon.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Over hill, over dale....The Journey of the three
PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 11:51 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Kano was scarcely aware of the commotion that carried through the ranks. His focus was on two things. Keeping pace with his company and keeping sight of Gaelrin. Until steel met steel on the battlefield he had little else on his mind.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: February 20th, 2018, 11:32 pm 
Ent
Ent

Athilda had lost track of time, for all she could think on was the future of Rohan, and the future of her husband. He was riding with his company to a battle that might not be won, despite all of them riding out to aid Gondor. A feeling of nausea washed over her at the thought of loosing Dunhama to the war, and just after she found a bucket to relieve herself in, she felt Ralian's elbow in her side and her voice in her ear.
"Dunhama?"
She glanced up, but it was already too late.
He was gone ahead of them, to do what, she knew not. But she knew it must have been important, for he was riding hard and escaped her view quickly.
Hours had passed, and she found herself gazing up at the company ahead of them to see if she could spot her husband, but it was useless. Perhaps he would now ride ahead of them, instead of be-
"My husband!"
Athilda's eyes lit up as she spotted Dunhama riding down towards them, and her eyes locked with his in an unspoken exchange of words and desires before he urged his horse back the way he came.
Her heart raced for a bit afterwards as she settled back into the uncomfortable seat between Ralian and Wulgov, but after a few moments, she rested her hand on Ralians' and let out a breath.
"I know not what my husbands rides towards, but I can only believe that it is nothing good. Ralian, my friend?"
Her brows pulled together and she looked at Ralian with fear filling her eyes.
"I am frightened, but I don't know what to do or how to help."

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 12:56 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Railan’s fingers entwined Athildas and said as she too let tears fall,

”I know not where Dunhama rides, but his message has stirred those who hear it. Something unlooked for I believe.”

“Not unlooked for. Mordor attacks. Though their vast armies march on Minas Tirith, they have strength to send armies elsewhere. One such army has likely crossed into the Eastfold, set on destroying Rohan before they can come to aid. Dunhama was the messenger to the King.”

Wolgov said as he watched the riders before him. He looked over as Railan gave Athilda a hug.

”We will help as we can in healing the wounded m’lady. We can do little else.”

Wolgov chuckled slightly. He reached down to a hold by his seat and pulled out two Rohirrim knives. He switched them in his hand and took them by the blade and held them to Railan. He said,

”There is much you can, and likely will do. A healing hand will serve the victor, but if all fails in battle, the dark army of Mordor will hold no quarter. If one is lucky in a dark sense, then orcs will find you, for they have no desire for human women. It will be the Easterlings and Haradians you will need to fear. They will take their pleasures with you before killing you”

Wulgov said even as they came down a slope to a clearing in the forest where King Theoden was gathering his riders. Railan took the knives and looked at them. She said as she pushed Wulgov,

”No, do not speak such evil! We will not kill if we can. Take these knives back!”

Wulgov pulled the wagon to a stop and turned to Railan, her eyes red with fear. He said,

”They are not for you to kill in battle lest you see fit. But you will want to end your own suffering should you be set upon.”

Railan hit Wolgov in the arm as he dismounted, then turned to Althilda as she leaned over the side of the wagon and threw up.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 11:44 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Soon, it seemed, they would come to the gathering place. The King was already gathering his riders when Kano and Gaelrin's group approached.

Kano followed suit as they came in and took their places.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 8:14 am 
Ent
Ent

Athilda's eyes wet with tears as fear overwhelmed her heart at the thought of being....ravaged by one of Rohan's many enemies. Her mind betrayed her as her attack in Helm's Deep-by one of Wulgov's comrades-played out again, but this time in slow-motion. She could recall every single detail about her attacker, every wicked smile, his...lust filled eyes, and his hands as they grabbed at her.
Bile rose in her throat, and the urge to throw up was so immediate that she leaned over the cart and relieved herself. Her arms trembled as she came back up, and when she looked at Ralian, she could see the same fear in her own eyes, despite holding two knives in her hands.
"Ralian..."
She whispered as she placed a hand on the other maid's arm in an attempt to comfort her; as she lifted her gaze though, she saw the same terror that gripped her own heart, and without words, she wrapped her arms around the maid and let her sorrows out.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2018, 8:32 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Grihias was dressed in his full uniform and though it was meant to be dress only, it had become quite soiled. But Grihias didn't care, this was war, and nobody cared what you looked like. He helped make sure all supply had gone to the storages after all the able men had left, either down the track to Gondor, or with those who rode back north and east over the road and plain to intercept an army of Easterlings that had been spotted crossing into Rohan. The guard he stood with at the wedding reception of Athilda and Dunhama had him assigned to the Snowbourne milita, a motly unit of old men and women, and young boys and girls who were tasked as a last line of defence of Rohan. Should war come to them, the armies of the King and of Gondor would have long since perished in the onslaught of the Dark Lord.

The grim brown grey darkness made the air thick as Grihias stood watch on the trail that came up from Edoras. He had nobody now. His sister Gaelrin had gone to war with Kano, Athilda too, and Dunhama had just recently rode through heading down to catch up with his unit. He kicked at the dirt as another young soldier came down to him.

"I am supposed to keep you company on watch. I think they just wanted me out of the way."

The voice was familiar, and Grihias removed his helm and watched as they also took off their helm. Her long blonde hair fell loose in tangled curles, and her sad expression lit up as she recognised Grihias. He gave her a smile back, for it was the girl he had smoked and drank with at the victory party. He never did ask her name that night, and didn’t think he would ever see her again. He felt bad when she said,

"It is nice to see you again Grihias."

Grihias nodded at her, looking a bit flustered. He said,

"It is good to see you too..."

"Eltana"

She cut in, helping Grihias out. As he wondered how she knew his name, she giggled slightly. She didn't say that her parents were camped not far from where Gilraen and Grihias had their tent in Edoras, and she heard his sister calling for him. Grihias said,

"Eltana, a nice name, not like mine which sounds like a grunting orc when it is said."

Eltana smiled at Grihias. It then faded as she looked down. She said,

"Your name means a lot to me. Until a few days ago, I strictly followed everything my parents said. When I met you at the victory party, we drank and smoked like adults, and though I knew it was all wrong, I felt this impending doom coming, even in celebration of victory."

Grihias looked at Eltana as she stood before him. She reminded him of his sister Gaelrin in some ways, and he wondered where his sister was at this very moment. When Eltana took his hands into hers, he swallowed as he felt funny inside. She looked him in the eyes and said,

"You opened my mind to much Grihias, soldier of Rohan. For now, my father has ridden off to war, and my mother has gone to support them, and I was left with my elderly aunt. I lay awake all night wondering what Grihias of Rohan would do."

Eltana reached over and touched Grihias’ cheek. She said in a softer voice,

”He would stand and do what he could for Rohan, and the memory of his parents. So that is why I stepped forth and took arms this morning, and they have sent me here, to be with you”

Grihias looked at Eltana and there was a silence between the two young souls. Grihias final shook his head and said,

”We will at least take two or three down before we are overrun.”

He stood tall and faced the road from Edoras. Eltana rolled her eyes at Grihias’ words, but stood next to him with her hand on the hilt of the sword she wore.

~ ~ ~

Wulgov swallowed, not sure what to say or do after Athilda got sick. He could see that both she and Railan were scared at what was before them. Still, he felt no remorse speaking his mind, for it was the truth. The orcs would just kill. The Easterlings and Haradians would at best, kill them outright. If they were deemed worthy as slaves, they would be spared the ravaging before being killed. Wulgov thought of what he would do. He could claim being a prisoner slave of Rohan and hope he is spared, but… but he had taken a liking to Athilda ever since they were in the mud at Helms Deep. She was like a merciful angel that actually cared what happened to him. And he cared what happened to her. Remembering pulling his countryman from her at Helms Deep, and seeing her face then, Wulgov vowed to stand and fight, and die before any Easterling or Haradian lay hands on her. He looked over as Railan wrapped Athilda in her arms. He couldn’t tell her that he loved her, for she was the wife of his nephew, and he likely repulsed her by his very existence. It was the kick in the gut he would have to bear, all the while doing whatever he could for her. He couldn’t give a damn about a Rohan without her, but she was Rohan to him, and so he would do what she asked of him, even if it brought him death. He jumped off the wagon and started getting the medical tent ready.

Railan was torn between trying to be stoic and strong and falling into despair. Looking into Athilda’s eyes as she spoke, Railan felt a bond form between them and she struggled to find words of comfort. But words were not needed. Though scared, Railan gave Athilda reassurance that all would be well if she could make it so, and she drew Athilda close and ran her hand over her back as she held her tight.

”Oh Athilda, my dear Athilda…”

Railan gasped into her ear as she cried into her hair. The moment had come. They would have to be ready for what was to come no matter what, and they would go forth and stand and fall together with the fate of Rohan. Railan let her hold on Athilda go as she stood and climbed down from the wagon. She turned and reached for Athilda’s hand, helping her down from the wagon.

”Come m’lady, we must get ready, for war is at hand.”

She looked away to where the riders made their preparations, tightening their armour and checking their blades and spears. The healers too needed to make preparations, for many, too many to count would be brought from the field of battle, and decisions would have to be made on who to treat so they could live, and who would be left to die.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 12th, 2018, 3:24 pm 
Ent
Ent

Athilda buried her face in Ralians' hair and neck and wept from all of the sorrows that now filled her heart. Her husband was gone from her, fighting in a war for Rohan, nay, for the victory of Middle-Earth. He had mentioned it before back in Helm's Deep, and she knew it to be true here, that Dunhama was fighting to keep her safe; but at what cost?
His life?
Athilda trembled as Ralian gently spoke her name and gasped and cried out in fear, the same fear that coursed through her veins and kept her from thinking clearly.
Yes, the war might take those that they loved away forever, but it had to be worth the fight, for people should not live in fear.
Athilda inhaled sharply and squeezed Ralian tightly before pulling away from her and gazing into her eyes as she offered her hand out.
"Aye. There is much we need to prepare."
Athilda took her hand and carefully stepped out of the wagon and walked around to the back to start taking out bedrolls and other important items.
"Ralian, can you please gather the needles, thread, and other instruments, please? I will gather the herbs and the liquids, then we can begin to set them up inside the tent."
Athilda climbed up inside and took everything that she could in her arms, then waited for the maid and walked inside the tent.
The noises that surrounded the tent were both terrifying and reassuring; soldiers and men in arms unsheathed their blades and readied them for the upcoming war, shouts were heard in the distance as men ordered their soldiers to ready their spears and knives.
Athilda let out a breath and closed her eyes as she sent up a silent prayer of safety for everyone involved, specifically her husband and her friends.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gaelrin had had enough adrenaline running through her body that when she heard word of the enemy being close by, the grip on her spear was enough to break it in half...or so she felt it. Her mind started playing back from memory everything that she had seen and had been taught. She was going to have to utilize everything, otherwise, she would perish, leaving her brother alone and her friends.
And she couldn't do that. She had to fight for their freedom and survive long enough to see the Shadow fall.
A long, steady breath escaped her lips as she set this resolution first in her mind.
Her eyes caught sight of one of the healing ladies, and the Lady Athilda was among them! Her breath caught in her throat and she sat rigid in her saddle as the captain ordered them to attention, then commanded them to check their weapons.
All of them did it in tandem, and as she pulled out her blade that hung by her side, she cast a sidelong glance back, catching Kano's eyes.
In that brief moment, she smiled and gazed intensely into his eyes, hoping that she would get to be wrapped in his wonderful embrace once this whole thing was over.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2018, 1:42 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Kano followed as the soldiers were called to check weapons. He caught Gaelrin's glance with his own, which rarely left her, it seemed. Though he stole the glances subtly so none would notice. They could not afford their secret to be found out.

His blade, though simple, was sharp and sturdy. Ready for combat. More so than he, perhaps.

That didn't matter at this point, the enemy was not far, and the battle was no distant thing. Soon they would be thrust headlong into war.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2018, 3:58 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

With the gathering of the riders at the edge of the field of Pelennor, one could hear the drums of war as the army of Mordor pressed home its attack on the White City. Eomer rushed about and made sure all the riders had come and they took up positions as King Theoden instructed. Even though the filth that the mountain of Mordor spewed obscured the sun and the day had a thick smokey brown to it, the smell of the fires of the White City lingered all around.

It was Wulgov who discovered the dead Gondorian soldier. He called to a nearby rider who dismounted and came to see him.

”It was one of the messengers of Gondor. He did not make it back to Minas Tirith with word of our coming!”

He ran to tell the King, and Wulgov looked around further. There were two messengers. Where was the other? A rustle in the brambles was heard and a brown mare pushed her way out bloodied and frightened, seeking the comfort of the nearby horses that had pulled the wagons. Bound to her was a soldier, alive but unconscious with grievous wounds. He was dragged slowly across the grounds, and Wulgov worked to calm the horse while the soldier freed the wounded man. Letting the horse walk free toward the other horses, it seemed as they traded looks and sniffs that the horse was settled even though the messenger’s riding gear was still on her. The soldier and Wulgov lifted the man and carried him a short distance to the tent where Athilda and Railan were preparing for the coming storm. They were taken by surprise to find they were needed right away.

Railan stepped to the side of the man they lay on the table, and Wulgov cut away his tunic. Railan paused as she looked at his wounds even as the man regained consciencness. He mumbled to Railan,

”Get the message to Denethor…”

Athilda came with damp linen and started to clean the man’s wounds. She paused when she saw the severity of it and looked at Railan. She moved her head slightly to the side, indicating he would not survive. Railan swallowed and leaned to the soldier and said,

”Rohan has come to Gondor’s aid. Many riders are here.”

The man reached for Railan’s hand and gave it a squeeze as his eye widened and his lest breath left him. Railan froze and did not know what to do. This was the first man to die in front of her. Athilda took Railan’s hand from his death grip and held her as she started to cry. Death came early to the tent of Athilda and Railan. When Railan nodded and accepted what had happened, she knew it would not be the last one brought to them who would die. Railan’s red eyes looked to Athilda and gave her a nod. She would be as ready as she could be now.

Out in the field not far away, Gaelrin and Eowyn were two that did not King Theoden in the eyes as he rode by. His words were strong and sure, rallying the riders as he rode up and down the line….

” Arise, arise, Riders of Rohan!
Fell deeds awake! Fire and slaughter!
Nor ever shall men each other spare!
Spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!
Ride for ruin and the world's ending!”
“Death!”
(DEATH!)
“Death!”
(DEATH!)
“Death!”
(DEATH!)
“Forth Eorlingas!”

With that, the horses were excited, and the riders started to move forth and gained speed as they broke into the clearing of the Pelennor Field.

~ ~ ~

To the East, Deorwine and his riders raced forth having not seen any sign of the enemy. Dunhama and Bergin were riding point as scouts and when they crested a ridge, arrows flew by with speed. Bergin held back and turned when an arrow went deep into his side and he fell to the ground. His horse bolded back and Dunhama turned to see if there was anything he could do for Bergin. The blood poured from his mouth as he tried to breath, And Dunhama had an arrow pass between his arm and side, cutting into his leather armour. He sped back and flagged Deorwine.

”Bergin is dead, and there are at least a thousand Easterling foot solders and archers moving toward Edoras!”

Deorwine looked as the first Easterlings crested the ridge. The Rohirrim archers he had shot each one as they appeared, but soon there were too many. Deorwine ordered their retreat and they would ride with speed to Minas Tirith, hoping to draw off the Easterlings back toward the White City. Dunhama shook his arm and saw that he was bleeding, but he turned and rode forth following Deorwine. They had to trust in the home guard to make these invaders pay.

Last edited by Hanasian on March 20th, 2018, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2018, 12:55 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Kano sat in his horse as Theoden gave his speech. When the cry went out, "Death! Death! DEATH!"

With a deep breath Kano steeled his nerves. The horses started forward. The trot became a canter, then a run, then a full on gallop. Kano glanced over at Gaelrin one last time before the front lines plowed into the orcs. Spears, swords, and bodies went flying.

Sage, Kano's horse, jumped up and over another fallen rider, plunging into the enemy. Kano swing his sword, striking a spear away and stabbing the or in the neck. As the other riders flooded past him, Kano nudged Sage back into a run. He swung his blade, bow on the front lines, striking any enemy he could reach.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2018, 11:07 pm 
Ent
Ent

Athilda moved quickly as two men-a soldier of Rohan and Wulgov- carried in a wounded man, laying him on the table in the middle of the tent. Upon hearing fabric rip, Athilda strode over to the wounded man and began to clean the area around his wounds but stopped short after realizing the severity of the injury. Her gaze quickly flicked up to meet Ralian's, and she made it known that he would not make it.

Athilda could see the obvious terror in her friends' eyes as the man squeezed her hand as he took his last breath. Death had come early to the healing tent.

With a calming breath, Athilda strode around the table and released the dead mans' grip and instead held Ralian as she burst into tears. It took all of her effort not to let fear sink in and cry out as well, but after a few moments of quiet hushing and swaying, Athilda pulled away, with her hands resting comfortingly on Ralian's shoulders, nodding with her.

"It is not easy, Ralian. But we must aide our brethren in this war...in any way we are able too."

Athilda pulled Ralian into her arms again to comfort her, but stopped short as a sudden urge to vomit overwhelmed her. Her hand quickly shot up and covered her mouth as she ran around her friend and out of the tent flap, bending over and heaving just a few steps from the tent.
When the moment passed, Athilda stood up and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand, then blinked a moment as a dizziness started to overwhelm her.

What was wrong with her? Was she sick?

Athilda shook her head slowly and lifted her hand to her face and neck, frowning in uncertainty as she felt her normal temperature. After taking a few calming breaths, Athilda walked back inside the tent then looked up at Ralian, then back to the dead man on the table.

"Ralian, we need to get this man off the table. Will you go find Wulgov? I'm sure he hasn't gone too far."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gaelrin averted her eyes as King Theoden rode past her, shouting a heart-racing, intense speech meant to spur them on to victory. Her eyes lifted for a brief moment as he spurred them on to ride for Gondor, and for the ruin of their enemies; her gaze flicked down to the oncoming orcs, and suddenly she was gripped with fear.

"Death!"
Gaelrin flinched and her eyes went back to the King, then to her comrade on her right.
"Death!"
Her stomach dropped, and she thought she might pass out, right there on the battlefield.
"Death!"
Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Kano gripping his sword and gazing at her, one last time. Then, all at once, soldiers and horses started off, headlong towards the oncoming enemy.

Gaelrin gripped her reigns and her sword, and with a steadying breath, she looked the enemy dead on and stabbed, hacked and rode forth, following her countrymen.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2018, 4:36 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

(OOC –I fixed my errors in my last post. And nice avatar Melanie!)

Deorwine’s ruse seemed to work to draw off the first company of Easterlings, but the others seemed to keep to their march west. Dunhama thought of the boy Grihias in the rocky keep of Dunharrow and hoped he would have the same grit as his mother and father. And Gaelrin! He saw her ready for war. May she be a valiant shieldmaiden of Rohan in the battle she finds.

As his arm started to throb with his heartbeat, he thought of his wife Athilda. How many will come across her table this day? How many will she save? As he galloped forth, he paused on a ridge and turned to look back. They had outrun their pursuers, but it seemed the edge of the forest far to the northwest was moving in the wind. Dunhama had no time to ponder this, and turned and signalled Deorwine that they had no pursuers. They now only had to ride on to Minas Tirith, and Dunhama pushed back the thought of he being brought to the healing tents with mortal wounds. He said before kicking his horse back into a gallop,

”Athilda my love, be strong!”

The next rise brought into view the Pelennor field, and the smoke rising from the White City amid the waves of orcs trolls, and men was disheartening. But far to the right they could see the destruction that King Theoden was inflicting on the enemy’s footsoldiers. Deorwine then called out,

”Eorlingas Arise!”

And the one hundred riders started to charge toward the rear of some unsuspecting Easterlings…

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Railan came out of the healing tent and found Wulgov finishing setting up a small tent. She came to him all red-eyed and asked,

”Hirgon the messenger is dead. Please carry him to rest with his comrade?”

Wulgov handed Railan a black arrow with steel barbs that had a bright red tip.

”They carried this.”

He squinted at Railan before he turned and went in to the tent. Athilda was there looking much like she did when she had tended his leg wound in Helms Deep. A look of deep sorrow was on her pale face as she arranged Hirgon’s hair. Wulgov went to her and gently rested his hand on her elbow.

”M’lady, you are not well. I have set a small tent just behind this one where you and Railan can rest.”

Railan came in and paused, warmth flaring up inside her as her free hand came to rest on the knife he had given her. Yes, she remembered her drunken deal with Wulgov at the Athilda and Dunhama’s wedding reception, but her heart had since changed. Seeing his hand on her caused so many thoughts and feelings pass through her mind as if she too was charging into the enemy. But with a breath and barely a thought about what she would do, Athilda stepped away from Wulgov and he became aware that Railan stood behind him. Her hand relaxed and slipped from her knife as Wulgov lifted Hirgon up and threw him over his shoulder. Blood oozed from the dead man as he walked out of the tent, and Railan went right to work wiping down the table as best she could.

It was not long before a rider approached with a wounded man with him. He dismounted and no sooner had Wulgov had lain Hilgon to rest did he and the rider help the wounded man into the tent. Athilda stepped to the table and she and Railan started to remove his smashed helm from his head. Other than his face and shoulder, there appeared there were no battle wounds. He was awake and said,

”My horse… the ground gave way when she stepped hard on to a mole tunnel. Her leg.. I need to find her…”

He tried to get up, but both Railan and Athilda put hands on each of his shoulder, and he flinched and lay back down. He was broken up from being thrown. Railan looked up to Athilda and back to his face and said,

”You will live horsemaster. Rest now! You have Athilda, the best healer in the Mark here with you, and we will get you sorted .

Athilda wasted no time as she started working on his head and face wounds, and Railan cut away his tunic to see how bad his shoulder was. With a pause, Railan and Athilda looked across the table at each other. Railan’s eyes were not so moist with tears this time as she had steeled herself after her first death, of Hirgon. Her deep blue eyes looked deep into Athilda’s, and a deep desire came over her as she spoke in a language she did not know…

”A Elbereth Gilthoniel, o menel palan-diriel, le nallon sí di'nguruthos! A tiro nin, Fanuilos!”

Railan’s eyes glistened in a brief sparkle before she blinked and breathed heavily. She had heard Lady Annienna speak those words but did not learn how to say them. It was a prayer to Varda, and it seemed to have driven away some of the fears. Because she was looking into Athilda’s eyes, she too was affected and blinked. Railan reached over and touched Athilda’s hand, for she had sensed another soul with them! After a brief moment of bonding, they again turned their attention again on the man who lay before them.

In the distance, the cries of battle could be heard, and already more wounded who could still ride were returning. There would be no rest for the healers....

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 25th, 2018, 5:39 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Kano and Sage burst into battle, the impact of orcs and goblins nearly throwing him from his horse. He gripped hard and squeezed with his legs, setting himself back upright.

He felt a blade graze past his leg, thankfully deflected by his armor.

He pressed into the enemy, swinging and stabbing. A large orc came from the side, swinging at Kano. Kano blocked the blow, then brought his horse around and struck against the beast. They exchanged several blows, but a bump from another rider of Rohan hit the or in the back. The orc stumbled and Kano stabbed it in the neck.

Kano fought on, trying his best to keep pace with the other riders.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 10:16 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

With the coming of the Riders, the armies of Mordor were surprised and dismayed, and much chaos was inflicted upon them. But the attack on Minas Tirith was going well with the breaking of the gates and the Nazgul causing fear and ruin. Dunhama had gone into a rage when an arrow hit his side, hacking at the orcs around him. He kept riding forth and slowly, one by one, his comrades either fell or had to turn aside.

Deorwine called them to the flank to regroup and ride to Eomer and the King when a Nazgul swooped down from the sky. Dunhama froze at the sound of the winged creature and his horse reared even as the sound of the Nazgul joining their battle gave rise to the fortitude of the forces of Mordor. As his horse kicked at the enclosing attackers, a hammer blow fell from a large orc, hitting Dunhama in the head and nearly knocking him off his horse. But he held tight, and his sword found the neck of the orc before another blow could strike him down. As his horse started to bolt in fear, Dunhama let go of his sword and drew out his Dunlanding axe even as he felt his leg hit with a blade, and a knife plunge into his side. As the battlefield dimmed in his eyes, he muttered in a throaty voice as he collapsed forward on his horse… ”Athilda…”. His horse struck out toward the flank with speed. And one looking to them would think that a rider with his grip of death held fast to the streaking horse as it fled toward the wooded hills at the foot of the White Mountains…

~ ~ ~

The healing camp had become chaotic with wounded flooding in and Railan could see no end. A small regiment of Easterlings had skirted the edge of the fields looking to cut supply lines, and even as they stood and yelled and ran forth into the camp, the wounded who could fight took up arms and tried to hold them at bay. Wulgov had a sword in one hand and he picked up a dead Easterling’s axe in the other. He stood shirtless taking on any who tried to sack the healing tents. When he saw Railan helping a wounded horseman, some approaching Easterlings made a move toward them. The wounded man fell with an axe in his back and Railan turned to meet the attacker, her knife in hand. Wulgov ran toward her, but she sank the knife in his thigh as he grabbed her. The horse nearby reared, and when some riderless horses ran through the camp, Wulgov fell back and went to stand before the tents in hopes of dissuading the horses not knocking them down and trampling those inside. He waved the horses to the side and they passed even as some men of Rohan tried to settle them. When Wulgov looked around. He could see no sign of Railan. He ran over to where he had last seen her, and there he fought the dwindling Easterlings with some wounded Rohirrim. When the last of the Easterlings ran off, Wulgov again started to help the wounded, and then walked to the fringe of the clearing, calling out,

”Railan?”

He feared the worst but could not be sure. He looked back, and those who could started to help get the camp working to treating wounded again, even as the screech of a Nazgul pierced the air in its death throes. After the shiver passed him, Wulgov was torn between looking for Railan and staying with Athilda who kept working her healing skills through it all. When some horseless riders came into camp having settles some of the riderless horses, Wulgov asked them if they had seen Railan. Eash shook their head as they went to form up a company of men who could still ride and fight. Some who could not ride took position to watch the camp in case another attack happened. Wulgov sighed and turned and disappeared down the track where he thought Railan may have fled.

(Not sure if this is done or not. I wrote my characters in to a place where they could go either way, kind of like when a TV show doesn’t know if it will be renewed for another season)

Last edited by Hanasian on February 26th, 2019, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 17th, 2018, 9:38 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

As the battle progressed Kano lost all sight of Gaelrin and his company. His vision tunneled to the enemy in front of him. The clash of swords drown out his own thoughts. All but the desperate thought of survival.

Was there an end to the enemy? He did not know. His hand froze to his sword, fingers cramping around the hill. When he thought he could go no further, he pressed on still. Then, when he was sure he could fight no more, somehow he found the strength to lift his sword. One desperate attempt after another.

Then, an Orc speer was thrust clean through the chest of his horse, out the far side, and slices a gash in his left through the stirrup leather. The weight of four orcs was pressed against the long shaft.

Sage went down with his dying cry , Kano unable to get off the saddle in time with his crippled foot. As his body disappeared under the horses' his mind faded.

He was not dead... But to his fortune, the orcs took for such. Another man, more burly and built than Kano himself, lay under the horse. The dead man held the large beast just a few inches up. Just enough to keep it from crushing Kano's ribcage.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 713 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next