Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 713 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Over hill, over dale....The Journey of the Three
PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 8:36 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Wulgov looked up at Athilda as she knelt down to look at his leg. He said,

"Yes, feeling much better. Slept well too. I thank you much Lady Athilda for your care. I know I have not been the best of patients, for I have really tested your patience with me. I am sorry."

He stretched as she removed the bandage. He asked,

"How does it look?"

He watched as her fingers pushed against his muscle on his leg. He felt a little pain, but nothing like before. He looked away from her and said,

"Hopefully I will be able to do something to earn my keep, for as you may have heard the messenger, I'm sort of on probation until some time after we arrive in Edoras."

He looked back at Athilda as she looked up at his face. He added,

"Maybe I could drive a wagon or something."

~ ~ ~

Dunhama returned and watched and listened as Kano spoke encouragement to Gaelrin. He had noticed Kano was moving freer than he was before. Dunhama smiled as Gaelrin looked to him as he approached, then she looked again to Kano as he talked of what the Elven healer had told him. As he finished speaking, she smiled slightly and said to him,

"I would like very much sir if you could show me what to do."

Kano nodded and Dunhama gave her a nod as well. He put his hand on Kano's shoulder. He knew that Athilda likely went to tend to her other patients, and he would now go and find some people he wished to see. He said to Kano,

"I need to see if the Dunedain are still here. Grihias, would you like to accompany me?"

The boy looked up to Dunhama then looked to Gaelrin as if he wanted permission. She gave her little brother's hand a squeeze and a nod, and he stood and walked to Dunhama as he said in a soft voice,

"Yes Dunhama of the Breach, I would."

Gaelrin's mouth opened, then closed. Dunhama gave her a smile and the two walked off. Dunhama looked back over his shoulder and said,

"We will not be too long. We will be back in time to help get you situated for the journey."

They disappeared through the archway as Gaelrin said to Kano,

"He has not spoken since before mother was killed! I think he admires Dunhama a lot!"

She smiled at Kano and watched what he did to make his legs stronger.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 8:49 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Kano went through the exercises with Gaelrin. He looked back to her brother as they walked off and she mentioned his lack of speech. "Sometimes everyone needs someone to look up to." He smiled softly but seemed to loose himself in thought for a moment. He turned back to Gaelrin as she finished up going through the exercises.

"I was pretty... depressed, to tell the truth, when I found out I would never walk normally again," he told her, eyes wandering off and staring into the stone on the floor. He smiled, then and looked to Sage. "I inherited this horse from a soldier who gave his life defending us all. I think he has done as much for my recovery as anything else. Do your ride well?"

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 9:26 pm 
Ent
Ent

As Kano helped Gaelrin through the exercises, she couldn't help but notice that his eyes seemed far away. She wanted to ask, but it was not her place. Gaelrin winced as she moved her ankle slightly for the last exercise, and was glad when she was able to rest it on her bedroll.
She looked up at Kano with an empathetic look in her eyes as he spoke of his feelings, but then she smiled when he inquired of her riding skills.
"Aye, I used to ride quite a bit in my childhood, and a few years ago, my father bought my brother and I a horse. She was beautiful...."
--------------------------------------------------------
Athilda glanced up at Wulgov as he spoke of patience and said with an emotionless face.
"Aye, you do wear on my patience, sir." She paused for a moment, then gave a small smirk and returned to unravelling the bandage.
" Your faults are in the past, so there is no need to dwell on them. Now hush."
As the last layer of the bandage fell off his leg, she began to gently press his wound and the area around it to see how it fared. Her concentration was broken by Wulgov's question. Looking up at him again, this time with kind eyes, she nodded.
"You will recover....hopefully within a week, if not a few days." She then cast her gaze back to his wound and began to administer some strong liquor to the closed wound. As she blotted it off with a clean cloth, she listened to him speak.
"Well sir, I am sure that King Theoden will find something for you to do. Just so long as you are honest and kind."
As she spoke, she gently lay a few herbal leaves over his wound and began to wrap his leg with a clean bandage. Once she tied it off, she looked up at him, and for a moment, their eyes locked.
A breath escaped her lips as she saw in his eyes many things. Sorrow, regret. And freedom. After a long moment, Athilda blinked and snapped out of his seemingly enchantment over her.
"I...um...exc-excuse me, sir. I-I-I must tend to my other patients."
She said quickly as she stood and walked out the door. Before she left, she rested a hand on the doorframe and looked back at him, with a shade of red rising unwillingly to her cheeks.
"I shall return when I have time. Good day."
With that, she left and walked quickly down the hall, chastising herself silently for being caught off guard, once again with this man. Athilda found a quiet place in the hall and leaned against the stone wall as she touched the ring that was linked to a chain around her neck. It was the ring that Dunhama had given her before he left for the war.
She clutched the ring in her hand and closed her eyes, then after a moment, she set off to clean up and see to more patients.
(OOC: Hanasian, do you mind if I write for Gaelrin? I'm starting to really like her character and I would like to build on it...only if that's okay with you guys.)

PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 10:13 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Gaelrin looked over at sage and continued to talk to Kano. She said,

"I tried to hold control of my horse after he was spooked by the warg, but I could not."

She looked at her right ankle and the smile left her face. But looking to Kano and to Sage, she got a determined look in her face and said,

"I hope to be a good rider again. It is my goal."

She went through the exercises and though some pain could be felt, she worked through it as she looked at Kano who was nodding encouragement. She looked over at Sage and said,

"I wonder what happened to Sandy. He ran off after throwing us. I would so much like to ride again."

She admired Sage as the horse looked over at them.

(OOC: Melanie, Yes! Write Gaelrin! I just wrote this bit above before you posted. I tweaked it to have it fit. Hope it works for what you have in mind! I look forward to your writing Gaelrin while I write Grihias.)

~ ~ ~

Dunhama walked out to where many had gathered for the caravan. He looked around and finally saw the two tall elves who had ridden with them. There too was the Elven healer woman. He said to Grihias,

"Come, I want to talk to these people. some of the Dunedain came to my aid when I was fighting. I have yet to thank them properly."

As the two approached them, one turned and saw them and gave a bow. Dunhama did likewise, and Grihias followed suit.

"Mae govannen"

One of the rangers said as the others watched. It was the one who had given a sworn statement on Dunhama's actions after the wall was breached. Dunhama wasn't sure, but guessed he spoke in some northern dialect of their kin. Dunhama said in Rohirric,

"Wes hal! Eadig þec to metenne!"

The Dunedain who had approached them nodded his head then looked back at another of the Dunedain who heard the Rohirric speech. He walked over to Durian and said in Sindarin,

"He greets you in his native tongue. He said 'Good day, nice to meet you."

Durian nodded and said to his brethren who knows the Rohirric language,

Thank you Hanasian."

He said in Sindarin to his brethren before he addressed the other Dunedain,

"This is the young man who held the breach alone until we were able to come to his aid. He lived even though we could not help him in our retreat!"

He turned again to Dunhama and Grihias and said in Westron,

"My grasp of Rohirric is weak if I know any at all. My brethren Hanasian is part Rohirrim as his mother hails from this country. I'm sure your knowledge of Sindarin is like my knowledge of Rohirric. It is well that the free peoples of the west have come together in a common tongue of Westron. I am Durian, son of Dunassuil, Dunedain of Rhuadur. These are my brethren who rode south to aid our Lord and Chieftain Aragorn."

Durian looked over to where the tall elves stood, and another man stood with them. He nodded. There also was the dwarf he had met in the cave, and the other elf with lighter hair. He did not see the old man who traveled with them, or King Theoden. Dunhama nodded on honor to Aragorn and the elves and he said to Durian,

"I have not thanked you and your brethren for coming to our aid. Nor have I thanked you personally for coming to my aid in battle. It will never be forgotten in the lore of my family to come."

Durian gave a nod and looked at Grihias. He asked,

"And who is this young soldier of the Mark?"

"I am Grihias, son of Gambain, who fell fighting on the wall."

Grihias took pride in introducing himself and stood tall. Durian knelt to look him in the eye. e said,

"It is an honour to meet you Grihias son of Gambain."

He reached out his hand, and Grihias looked at it then to Dunhama, then he tooh his hand and shook it before Durian grasped his wrist. Grihias did likewise. Durian stood and he and Dunhama did the same. He said to them,

"We will be riding with Theoden King to Edoras. from there, our road is unclear. We shall talk again Dunhama and Grihias."

He said, and Dunhama gave them all a bow before turning and walking away. They had much to do before riding out. It was then a wagon came and halted. Ergon sat there and gave Dunhama a nod, He climbed down and said,

"This has been prepared for you and your friends. If you have any further belongings, bring them and secure them. As I will not be making the journey, you will need to find a driver if you wish not to drive it yourself. And also, this horse was found lurking around, as if he was looking for its owner."

Dunhama looked at the light brown horse that was tethered to the wagon. He nodded and thanked Ergon.

"It has been good serving with you Ergon. You will be missed."

Grihias walked to the horse and touched his nose. A look of recognition came to the horse and it settled. He said to Dunhama,

"This is Sandy, my sister's horse."

Dunhama smiled. He said,

"Well, we should get back and tell her. We can help her out to the wagon and they can be reunited once again!"

Ergon nodded,

"I will stay here while you get your friends."

Dunhama smiled, and tapped Grihias on the shoulder and they set off back to the keep. Dunhama was happy. Grihias was becoming more than an orphan boy to him. He felt the boy to be his little brother as well.

(OOC Again: I couldn't help but bring in two of my other characters from other RP tales since this would be a fixed point in all their histories.)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 15th, 2017, 9:56 pm 
Ent
Ent

Gaelrin looked at Sage with a sense of yearning. She wished, with all her heart, that she could find Sandy and ride her again. But as she recalled her fond days of riding in the fields just outside of Edoras, her thoughts led her to her parents. Fresh tears began to well up within her eyes as the sorrow and guilt washed over her like a flood. She missed them both so badly. But they would never return to them. She and her brother would remain alone.
As she cried into her dirty hands, Gaelrin felt more sorrow squeeze her heart. She would never walk again. She would never ride again. She would never be able to provide for her brother. How would he survive? What if he was called into war again, only to be shot down?
What would she do?
Sadness overtook her, so she cried, for it seemed the only comfort.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2017, 1:49 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Kano swallowed hard as Gaelrin began to cry, he didn't inquire but he could guess all too well what she might be thinking. He wasn't good in situations like this. He would have shuffled about awkwardly if his feet had allowed him to do so. Instead he just glanced in either direction, as if hoping somone else would be there to comfort her.

He sighed after a moment and bent down to kneel beside her. He winced with pain but set a gentle hand on her shoulder. "I'm so sorry for your loss... It probably doesn't help but, I know what it's like to loose everything. It won't ever go away but you can rest easy, Gaelrin, you and your brother will be well taken care of."

PostPosted: April 16th, 2017, 8:49 pm 
Ent
Ent

Gaelrin sniffed and blinked her tired and sore eyes open as Kano knelt down to comfort her.
"Th-thank you, kind sir. I feel foolish for crying, for I know that my brother and I will be safe, but...we know no one else....save for you and your companions."

PostPosted: April 16th, 2017, 10:38 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

When Grihias and Dunhama returned, They saw Kano kneeling by Gaelrin. Grihias ran over to his sister's side and excitedly said to her,

"They have found Sandy! He is with the wagon we will take to Edoras!"

He looked smiling at Kano and back to Dunhama who came up. Gaelrin looked at Dunhama to see if it was true, and Dunhama was nodding in agreement with Grihias. Dunhama then said,

"They are getting the caravan ready and are getting any wounded that want to go back to Edoras ready. As Ergon saw to it that our ride is set, we should see to getting you situated Gaelrin."

Dunhama looked around and then to Kano and asked,

"Maybe Kano can assist you down on Sage? I can lift you up once Kano is mounted. I wonder if it would be all right for you to ride down to the wagon. Athilda would know."

He thought about looking for her. But he could see the excitement in Gaelrin's red eyes... excitement about maybe riding, and gettign to see Sandy again. Dunhama looked at Kano and asked,

"What do you think?Can she ride? If not, I will assist her down to the wagon."

~ ~ ~

Wulgov felt much better after Athilda’s caring heart and hands treated his leg. He smiled slightly as she seemed to stumble for words, and watched her leave as he looked back at his leg. He then looked again at the doorway she was heading for and found her there looking back at him. When his eyes beheld her, she swiftly turned and walked out of sight. He looked again at his leg, carefully bandaged and feeling well, and he said to himself,

”What a remarkable woman Athilda is.”

After thinking about her for a time, he looked around and saw others less fortunate then he, so he decided to get up and go and help. With some wanting to go to Edoras, he assisted in getting some of them ready to travel. He assisted a young woman with a wounded leg such as his out and down to where the caravan was assembling. He first came to a wagon at ready, but the man sitting on it shook his head no. Wulgov started to walk the woman to another wagon when the driver said to him,

”You, hold there.”

Wulgov recognized his voice and his eye patch. It was the man he struggled with when he tried to escape. He climbed down from the ladder and looked at Wulgov. He said,

”If I didn’t love my King and respect his mercy, I would kick you in your wound and step on it grinding it into the ground. But since you have gained favour with him, I will ask you to do something for me.”

He looked at Wulgov who nodded in acceptance. Ergon looked don the line of wagons and said,

”First, there will be room for this lady on the wagon behind this one. Second, this wagon needs a driver, and since you will be going to Edoras, I ask that you drive my friends there. There will be four riding the wagon, and one will ride along on his horse. I would drive them myself, but I have duties here at the Hornburg. You will be in the Kings party, so there will be many knights of Rohan around. I do hope you will hold to your word to the King.”

“I will do this.”

Wulgov said as he started to walk away with the woman. He went and got her settled in the wagon behind, and returned to Ergon. He said,

”I do this for them, and for the King. I have no desire to dishonour my promise. I am a Dunlanding of Rohan now.”

Ergon grunted. He said as he gave a binder of leather to Wulgov,

”I trust you will do right. It starts now as you are now entrusted with this wagon and all it’s supply and passengers”

Ergon walked away, hoping he did the right thing and that those who will ride this wagon will tolerate the Dunlanding.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 19th, 2017, 3:00 pm 
Ent
Ent

Gaelrin's gaze shifted between Dunhama and Kano and rested on Kano as she waited for him to say something. Although there was still pain in her ankles, she felt, for the most part that she would be able to ride. At least side saddle. She opened her mouth and spoke politely.
"Sirs, I feel that I can ride, at least for a little bit at a time. I...I long to ride Sandy again."
She glanced up at Dunhama with pleading and longing in her eyes.
"I know that it may be a while until I am able to walk but I feel that riding Sandy would give me the motivation and encouragement I need to continue on."
She looked back at Kano in a silent plea to vouch for her, or for her argument.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2017, 10:45 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Kano gave a nodd. "I think she would be just fone riding. I can take her down to the wagon and to Sandy." He looked back to Gaelrin. "Sage is calm and well trained horse. He would do fine with two on his back but if you prefer I can let Dunham lead him and I could follow behind slowly."

PostPosted: April 21st, 2017, 5:49 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Dunhama smiled at Gaelrin, saying,

"You hear that m'lady?? You will ride down! Kano, I think it may be best you ride Sage, and Gaelrin ride behind you. Grihias and I can walk. We'll have to find Athilda along the way."

With most leaving, and only the Westmarch people remaining, it was time. Kano went to bring Sage close, and Dunhama went and helped Gaelrin up. Grihias gathered the few things they owned in his arms and watched as his sister stood for the first time. She grimaced with some pain, but she held fast to Dunhama and nodded she was all right. Kano mounted Sage, and eased her over and Dunhama held Gaelrin as she got used to standing. Dunhama said,

"I think I can lift you and Kano can take your hand, and if you can move your better foot over Sage, it will be better for balance I would think."

He looked to Gaelrin as she looked to mounting the horse.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 21st, 2017, 10:41 am 
Ent
Ent

Gaelrin looked up at Kano as he sat mounted on Sage with a bit of hesitation. Suddenly the task that she so longed to do seemed out of reach-literally. But she knew in her heart that if she were able to conquer this task, the resolve to heal fully would begin to truly take root in her heart.
With an inhale and a nod to Dunhama, Gaelrin moved her right foot closer to Sage and shifted her weight onto her right leg. She winced as a dull pain warmed her ankle, but she looked up at Kano and reached out her hand just as Dunhama lifted her up.
One Kano grabbed her by the forearm, Gaelrin used what arm strength she had to pull herself up as her right foot found the stirrup. She then used the momentum to swing her left leg around to the other side, then she quickly grabbed hold of Kano's shirt as she steadied herself behind him.
A smile appeared on her face as she sat perched on Sage. She had done it! And apart from the slight ache in her ankles, she felt fine. Gaelrin looked down at Grihias and beamed, then she glanced over to Dunhama and nodded.
"Thank you, sir."

PostPosted: April 21st, 2017, 6:52 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Dunhama gave Gaelrin a nod and a slight bow. He said,

"Your thanks goes to Kano and Sage, and is a sign of your own strength m'lady."

they started toward the archway and would find their way out to the caravan where Wulgov waited with their wagon...

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 21st, 2017, 8:23 pm 
Ent
Ent

Gaelrin nodded in response to Dunhama, and as they rode out, she loosely held onto Kano's tunic and thanked him.
"Your friend is right. I owe both you and Sage many thanks, for if you hadn't arrived with your friends, I would have lost all hope of ever walking again."
Her voice was soft and meek, and she spoke just so she could hear him. The company made there way out onto the fields just in front of the keep to find a huge caravan of people waiting to leave this stronghold. As she looked about the field, her mind brought back to her memories of the not so distant past and although she tried to shake them off, she felt tears begin to stream down her face.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Athilda was assisting a young mother who was leading them out to the caravan when, from a distance she saw her friends. She smiled at the thought that they would all be returning home together very soon. Another thought brightened her eyes. She would become Dunhama's bride. Her heart began to flutter as she envisioned herself walking towards him to say her vows.
She and the young mother came to a wooden cart and then one by one, the children were seated and the mother was settled. Athilda said her good-bye's to the children and their mother then went on her way to meet her friends.
After a few long minutes of searching, Athilda was able to find Kano and Gaelrin perched atop Sage, so she walked with haste to them. It was then that she saw the back of Dunhama's head. Her heart fluttered again as he turned around and locked eyes with her, and not being able to stop her will, she ran towards him, then wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his chest.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 2:39 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

"Athilda my love!"

Dunhama's heart lightened and his spirit soared with her arrival, and he held her long. He then looked into her eyes with a smile on his face and said,

"Come my love. A wagon is prepared for us! I hope they have gotten all your things as instructed."

They turned and with Grihias leading the way, Dunhama and Athilda followed side by side, Dunhama's arm about Athilda's waist, and Sage following with Kano and Gaelrin riding. It was when they approached the wagon that Athilda and Dunhama saw that Wulgov would be the driver....

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 9:12 am 
Ent
Ent

Athilda smiled as Dunhama gazed upon her and she nodded to him then turned and followed Grihias to the wagon. As they walked, Athilda couldn't help but feel lightened somehow. They were finally going home. It seemed to her that everyone felt a bit more lighthearted, even those who were still recovering from their battle wounds.
Athilda lifted her gaze as they approached the wagon, but as she looked upon the driver, she suddenly felt a weight upon her heart.
It was Wulgov.
She averted her gaze as Wulgov turned to look at her, but she still felt his eyes upon her.
"Dunhama, is there no other who can drive us? I...I don't feel....comfortable with him holding the reigns."
Athilda looked up at her soon-to-be husband with uncertainty. She didn't know if he would be able to do something about it, but she had to ask.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 713 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 45  Next