Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 713 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Over hill, over dale....The Journey of the Three
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 8:31 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Wulgov walked with his limp and they came to Erkenbrand’s office. The guards stood each side of him with hands on sword hilts. There would be no more attacks from this man, for his life would be forfeit. The commander was nowhere to be seen. He was likely with the King and making the plans to leave the next day. Wulgov sat and looked up from his feet when the Lady and his nephew cane in the door…

~ ~ ~

”Thank you again Kano.”

He hoped Kano would be able to ride with the horsemen eventually. He gave him a nod and followed Athilda to return his bowl. They set out for Erkenbrand’s office. Dunhama held Athilda’s hand but was silent. He was not sure how this would go, or what even to say. He grew more nervous as the approached the door. He paused and Athilda turned to him before they went in. He looked lovingly at her and took courage from her. Here she was willing to see Wulgov with him. He took a breath and they walked in…

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 9:01 pm 
Ent
Ent

Athilda felt her nerves begin to rise as Dunhama took her hand, and after they rounded a corner, she inhaled quickly as she saw the office door. She closed her eyes for a moment, but opened them just as Dunhama was gazing into her eyes. She smiled softly and nodded, then turned and waited as Dunhama opened the door.
As the door creaked open, Athilda let out a nervous breath as she met Wuglov's eyes. Athilda wished that she could run away, or hit him for as he looked at her, she thought she detected something in his eyes. She shook the thought away and followed Dunhama into the office. She stood only a few feet from the man who set out to kill an innocent man. By now her smile had faded and was instead replaced by a stern face.
"Why did you attempt to kill that young soldier who was with you, sir? Is this what the kindness of the Commander and me worth?"
Athilda was surprised by how bold she had grown, but she didn't care. She wanted answers, and he was going to tell them.
"Speak!"

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 1:55 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Wulgov, stared expressionless at Lady Athilda as she spoke.Dunhama stood by her side looking hard at Wulgov. The two guards stood ready in case Wulgov tried anything. When Athilda demanded that he speak. He looked at his hands for a moment before looking up into Athilda’s burning eyes. He said,

”Yes, I will speak Lady Athilda. First I will say that I thank you for this, for you by speaking to your king on my behalf, have saved my life.”

He nodded in a bow to her. Dunhama then demanded,

”Answer the Lady’s questions!”

Wulgov looked at Dunhama and said,

”You sound just like your father…
“You can talk of your brother after you answer that which Lady Athilda has asked you.”

Dunhama cut Wulgov off. Wulgov nodded and looked again into Athilda’s eyes diving in to them.

”I did not wish to hurt him, but he wasn’t as distracted as I thought he was. I know I shouldn’t have tried to escape, for it was contrary to the kindness you have shown me m’lady.”

His dark brown eyes looked hard into hers with sadness.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 9:06 am 
Ent
Ent

"It was contrary to everything, sir!"
Athilda raised her voice in frustration and took a step towards the man.
"Did you truly think escaping your safety here would have ensured you a life of your own? The mere thought you had to wound that young solider makes you no better than the men who attacked me!"
Athilda softened when she noticed Wuglov wince in pain, and when she glanced down to his leg, she saw that it was bleeding. Badly.
She sighed and glanced back up to the face of the prisoner then spoke in a quiet voice.
"If I were anyone else I would allow your wound to fester...but I was assigned to tend to your wound, so if you'll excuse me, I must get my things."
Athilda turned to leave, and as she walked down the hall, all she could think of was Dunhama....and the way that Wuglov looked at her with sorrow in his eyes. She shook the thought away and fumed. How dare he even look upon her with sadness. He was merely living for himself!
As she entered the chamber, Athilda picked up her supplies, placed them in a bag and carried them back out into the hallway. Before making her way back to the office, Athilda stopped by the kitchen and retrieved two small vials of liquor, then walked back to the office.
As she approached, she could hear and see Dunhama speaking to Wuglov. Before entering, she took a breath and walked in.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 10:05 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Kano nodded and reached for his canes. "I intended to see the healer after my meal," he told them. "I am sure I will see you around. If we set back to Edoras before I do, I'll find you in the crowds. I have quite a good view from Sage's back." He smiled as they took their leave and he went his way, slowly.

Kano made it back to Sage after a long slow walk and pulled himself back on the horse. He made his way to the healer's court and inquired for the elvish healer. He was directed towards an odd looking tent that stood out from the rest of the shelters and items. Upon approaching he was greeted by the elf women.

"I am glad you have come," she said with a smile. She motioned to the tent. "Please, come in. I would like to look at your wounds and see what I can do for you."

"Thank you," Kano said with a nod. He slid down from Sage and made his way to the tent. Inside the healer unwrapped his legs and examined the wounds for a long time. Finally she set to work.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 10:37 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

When Athilda left, Dunhama stared hard at Wulgov, and he asked,

”If you are as you said to Athilda, will you tell me of my father”

“Yes, boy. But you are a man now. I remember the days well. I remember it all. My older brother was not a very nice person.”

Dunhama stared hard at Wulgov, then said,

”You wait to tell. I wish my wife to be here with me to hear it all. What I want to know right now, is why you tried to escape. After what you did for Erkenbrand, and his men killed the very people you named, your life is forfeit to the Dunlandings. You are a man without a home, without a country. Rohan could have offered you refuge in time. By attacking your guard and escaping, you have likely jeopardised that. That is but for my… Lady Athilda speaking on your behalf before the King. You will be wise to show her some gratitude. I myself was ready to see if you lived the night and was going to look for you in the morning.”

Dunhama hadn’t talked so much before. His burning anger inside him he kept in check, and he turned when Athilda returned with her medical kit. Wulgov looked at her as she walked into the room.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 12:19 am 
Ent
Ent

Athilda met Dunhamas' gaze with compassion and kindness, but when her gaze shifted to Wulgov, she bore into his eyes with anger and duty. Without speaking to him, she knelt down beside him and laid out her supplies which included a few bottles of dried herbs, a mixing bowl, a bottle of water, two bottles of liquor, bandages, a needle and thread as well as a small knife. Once everything was arranged, she then removed his soiled bandage and cringed inwardly, both from the smell and from the amount of blood that spilled out. She sighed then took a clean cloth and blotted out most of the blood. The stitches she had given him earlier had stretched-probably from the amount of activity he set upon himself.
"Drink this."
She handed him one of the vials of liquor, then began to explain as she picked up the small knife.
"Due to your recent activity, I am going to have to resew your wound. First I need to take out these old stitches."
She pointed her blade to the top stitch, but before cutting it through, she glanced up at him and with a hint of compassion in her eyes, she said.
"Forgive me, but this is going to hurt."
She blinked then turned back to his leg and carefully began to remove his old stitches. After the last stitch broke loose, she used another cloth to stop the blood flow. As she pressed onto his leg with one hand, she grabbed the other vial of liquor and with a glance up at him, she released the cloth and poured the vial over his open wound.
Although he managed to stay quiet and still, the moment she poured the liquid onto his wound, he flinched and balled his hands into fists.
She resisted the urge to look up at him and comfort him and instead placed a hand gently on his leg.
"I am almost through, sir."
After a few moments, Athilda took the herbs, mixed them together and set them aside. She then took the threaded needle and began to sew his wound shut. After a few minutes of concentration, she took the bowl and gently dabbed the herbs onto the stitches, then wrapped the new bandages around his leg and secured it with a knot.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 4:00 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Dunhama watched as Athilda worked with strength and precision. Even with what he had done, she still gave him compassion when cutting the stitches. As she started to bandage his leg, Dunhama said to Wulgov,

”You, tell me of my father now.”

Wulgov closed his eyes and started talking,

”It was many years ago. We had raided a village just across the Isen, and the soldiers there were fierce. But we had more men, and we won the day. That was when the survivors went on a rampage. My brother led us on to the hamlets down the track even though most wished to return home. But my brother… his name was Wucawn, had a way with words and whipped up our hatred of the strawheads. The hamlets were defenceless, and the raping and pillaging and burning began. Most were killed, but Wucawn found your mother hiding in an earthen cellar. She was young… maybe your age, maybe a year or two more. He had his way with her, but she convinced him not to kill her. He bound her and took her back to Enedwaith. There she lived as his wife slave. The same year, you were born.”

He paused as Athilda pulled the bandage tight and none too gentle, and knotted it off. Dunhama was squeezing his fists but was silent. How soon after was he born? He asked himself in his head. Could his mother already been with child? As if Wulgov could understand what he was thinking, he shook his head. He said,

”It was near ten months. Wucawn bragged to him that she was fresh when he had her. No mistake Dunhama. He was your father.”

“Tell me about how my mother escaped with me? I remember a fire.”

Dunhama said. Wulgov nodded as he said,

”Yes… the fire. Your mother suffered long through those three years. The only time she had respite was when she was carrying you inside her, and Wucawn went off raiding. I was given the task of watching her and preventing her from escape. So for six months I lived there with her. Wucawn said I could have my way with her if I wished, but I did not. I did not ever lay a hand or touch her. Once she got used to me being there, she began to rest. She slept a lot of the time once she realised she could trust me. But he returned and I left, and would only visit on occasion to see how she, and you were doing. He became evermore violent and would beat her for the littlest thing. One night I stopped him from beating her to death when I was there. He left you alone because he said you were his blood. He settled for a time, but he again tore into her for nothing. I tried to stop him again, but I could not. When I woke up from his beating me up, I saw your mother for the last time. She stared at you with glassy, glazed over eyes as Wucawn drank. I left that night, but I shouldn’t have. It was not long before Wucawn passed out. She used his axe to split his head open, then she set fire to the cabin after she had gathered what provision she could carry, and she walked to Edoras. That is all I know.”

Dunhama nodded as he absorbed it all. It all made sense. It was why his mother did not speak of that time ever to him. She raised him in the belief that they had always been in Edoras. And she died so young. If she was my age when this happened, then she would not yet have been forty years when she passed away. But she had aged well beyond her years. He tried to hold back tears, but his eyes grew wet. He said to Wulgov as his hand reached for Athilda’s,

”Wucawn was my father’s name?”

“Yes, he was ere twenty years older than I.”

Dunhama nodded as he remembered all Wulgov said. He then worked at shutting it away inside.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 11:04 am 
Ent
Ent

Athilda listened and cringed as Wulgov recounted the raids on the villages. The painful memory of her attackers came to mind as he mentioned what they would do to the women of the villages they attacked. She paused in her work and closed her eyes as she forced the unwanted memories out of her mind. She resumed her work then tied off the bandage and began to clean her hands off as the two continued talking.
After she finished, she looked up at Dunhama as Wulgov recalled Dunhamas' childhood. Athilda listened in shock and horror at everything that his uncle revealed. Her eyes shifted up to Dunhama as she noticed his hand reaching for hers, so she quickly stood up and wrapped her hand around his.
She wanted to wrap her arms around him and comfort him, but she felt shy with all of the eyes on them, so she rested her head on his arm and squeezed his hand gently.
After a few quiet moments, Athilda looked into Wulgov's eyes.
"Forgive me, sir, but you have not yet explained to us why you wished to leave. Tell us plainly."

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 6:55 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

A long time later Kano emerged from the healer's tent. "Now remember what Inhave taught and told you," she instructed him. "If you continue these things you will do well." She nodded and smiled as Kano dipped his head in response.

"Thank you," He replied. "Thank you very much. This means a great deal to me."

The healer's bright smile bid him farewell as she returned back behind the flaps of her tent. Kano could already feel the elvish medecines working. More than the medecines she had taught him elvish phrases and techniques that would help him bond strongly with his horse. He would, with luck, walk again one day, but he would always have need if his horse. She told him to expect to always have a bad limp and likely not be able to make long walks without his feet and legs hurting him. It was better than his last diagnosis, however, and seemed like a silver lining in his cloudy day.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 6:46 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

"Forgive me, sir, but you have not yet explained to us why you wished to leave. Tell us plainly."

Athilda demanded to know. Wulgov shook his head. He wasn't sure himself why. It had to be all the long years of being told the strawheads would do nothing to Dunlanders. He said,

"I wanted to be free."

He took a deep breath and knew that would not satisfy the lady. He went on,

"I fell into old ways and old thoughts. If I could do it all again, I would not have attacked the guard. You people have for the most part been gracious to us even with the hurt we have caused." He closed his eyes, and said,

"I am sorry."

He did not open his eyes, but listened.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 7:35 pm 
Ent
Ent

Athilda felt tears begin to well up in her eyes as she to his simple explaination. Freedom. It was her deep desire to see all people free, no matter what their status or race.
But hearing Wulgov speak of his desire for freedom made her realize that even their enemies were bound in some way.
A tear that she hadn't noticed before fell down her cheek and landed on the stone floor beneath her feet. She blinked, then quickly wiped the tear away with the back of her hand and composed herself.
"You need not apologize for your desire for freedom, sir. That is a thing that all people should be granted."
She studied his face as he sat there with his eyes closed.
"What you have done is in the past now, and although the consequences may not give you your freedom, there is always hope. But for now, my only concern is tending to your leg and caring for you."
Athilda looked up at the men who guarded him and spoke with assertiveness in her voice.
"Sirs, as his healer, I will need him to stay somewhere safe, where he can get rest so that his leg can heal properly."

Post subject: Re: The Hornburg - two days after the Battle of Helms Deep
PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 9:41 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

With two new guards coming to relieve the two that were there, They heard Athilda's request. The taller one said,

There are some empty cots in the chamber that was used for the wounded yesterday. Most have been moved. We will take you there."

As they all walked to the healers chamber, Dunhama placed his hand on Athilda's shoulder. If she was going to stay with Wulgov, he would too. His gut told him that she may not be safe being around him by herself. But he would let Athilda decide if that was necessary, for there were the two guards to specifically watch Wulgov.

Dunhama was tired and the evening had grown late. The training earlier in the day had drained his strength, and though the pools and food and the presence of Athilda and the emotion of hearing Wulgov's words had for a fair time invigorated him, he was spent now both physically and emotionally. His eyes closed for a moment before looking hard at Wulgov as they got him settled in one of the cots. He said to Athilda,

"My love, will you feel safe caring for him?"

Athilda checked her medical kit and then looked at Dunhama.

Wulgov was silent as he stretched out. It felt good to not have to worry about getting his throat cut. He resolved to do one more thing for his people... tomorrow. Tonight he would rest in the care of Athilda.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 9:50 pm 
Ent
Ent

Athilda nodded as the taller guard responded to her, then she gathered her supplies and walked next to Dunhama into the healing chamber. It was mostly empty, save for the few unoccupied cots and the occasional wooden bowl, and now that the five of them entered, she began to get a bit nervous at the idea of tending to this man's leg.
Athilda turned and looked into Dunhama's eyes as he spoke. She could tell by the redness around his eyes and the dark circles underneath them that he was weary. She reached her hand up and placed it gently on his face and spoke with concern.
"Aye, I will." She nodded, hoping that he wouldn't be able to tell the lie that she spoke. She was concerned for him, for he was tired and he needed rest.
"You go and rest."
She smiled kindly, then leaned closer to him and whispered softly into his ear.
"I will come lie with you once I finish tending to him, if you'd like me to."

PostPosted: April 7th, 2017, 1:42 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Dunhama closed his eyes at the sound of Athilda's voice. He leaned to her ear and kissed her cheek through her hair and said softly,

"I would like that very much my love."

Athilda turned to him and he kissed her and gently let his fingers caress her cheek. He then turned to the talll guard and said,

"Keep close eye on this man. We know what he is capable of."

The guard nodded and he signaled the other guard that stood on the other side of Wulgov. He looked back at Athilda and said,

"Goodnight my love"

Dunhama yawned as he left, and he went to the far chamber where he had slept before. His bedroll was still there by the entrance of the caves. He considered going to the pools again, but he ended up straightening his bed and moving another close. He then fell into a deep sleep almost as soon as he lay down.

Wulgov too was sleepy, but he forced himself to stay awake. Maybe it was the drink Athilda gave him. He said as she looked him over,

"M'lady, please know that if I was there again in those wonderful caves as before, I would not do what I did. If I could go back.... is that guard... Beregil I think his name was, is he.... going to recover?"

Wulgov looked genuinely sorry and concerned, and it had been eating at him since he attacked him. He would like to apologize to him, and to plead mercy from the King. He would have to find out what will be done with the remaining Dunlandings, and himself.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 7th, 2017, 12:50 pm 
Ent
Ent

Athilda watched Dunhama walk off with trepidation, for although the two guards would be watching him, her heart had slowly become vulnerable to Wulgov. Taking in a breath, Athilda vowed to not allow this man into her heart, in any way, then she turned around as he spoke.
"Shh, you need to rest, sir."
She said firmly as she knelt down next to his leg and began to wipe the dried blood from around the bandage. It was then that she noticed more bloodstains on his trousers and his tunic. She furrowed her brows as she curiously looked at the blood, but then decided she would ask him about it later, if at all.
"To answer you, yes. Beregil has already been healed by an elven healer."
Athilda dared a glance up at him, and when she did, she saw the sincere sorrow and guilt in his eyes.
"I am sure that the King will be fair to you, if you are sincere and honest in your apology."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 713 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 45  Next