Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 18th, 2024, 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: The Waning Days of King Valacar
PostPosted: February 15th, 2017, 1:28 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

(Note: I edited the name of this RP to focus its scope on the time period if events it depicts. It will be a part of an overall Kin Strife tale)

The Waning Days of King Valacar
1428 to 1432 of the Third Age

Note #1
All Out of Character Commentary (OOC) is to be done here
Note #2 Character Profiles are Posted Here

Background Summary:
(Reference: The Encyclopedia of Arda)

During King Rómendacil's reign as King of Gondor, he developed a strong alliance with the Northmen who lived to the east of Mirkwood during his battles with the Easterlings. To further this close friendship between Gondor and these Northmen, Rómendacil sent his son Valacar as an ambassador to the court of their leader Vidugavia, who styled himself King of Rhovanion (The Northmen would ride to aid Gondor a thousand+ years later under Eorl the Young, and will settle in the lands gifted by Gondor and become know as the Rohirrim)

Rómendacil had intended that his son should learn something of the language and culture of the Men of Rhovanion, but he had not foreseen how strongly Valacar would be drawn to the Northmen. While there, Valacar fell in love with Vidumavi, Princess of Rhovanion, daughter of King Vidugavia. They were wed, and to them a son was born, the heir to the throne of Gondor. This union would be the catalyst that would bring great troubles in the future. It was believed that the pure Númenórean blood of the Royal House would be lost with this mingling with the lesser men of the north and was seen by many as an ill thing. As it turned out, Vidumavi died before Valacar would become King of Gondor, and when he did become king, divisions in Gondor started to form and unrest started to stir. The trouble wasn't so much with Valacar as king, but his heir was a half-breed. Valacar's son was raised with the name Vinitharya while they lived in Rhovanion, but was named Eldacar when when Valacar returned with him to Gondor.

By the last years of Valacar's reign, certain southern provinces of Gondor saw this unrest break out into full rebellion. In 1432, the year Valacar died, this rebellion became a civil war over the succession of the Kingship. Castamir, was the great grandson of King Calmacil. His father Calimehtar was Rómendacil's younger brother, and saw himself as the rightful King of Gondor due to his pure Numenorean bloodline. The next fifteen years were a dark and bloody period in the history of Gondor. Eldacar managed to secure his throne in 1448 when he returned from exile in Rhovanion with an army of Northmen. By this time, Castamir had become known as 'The Usurper' when it was seen he was not a kind king. His only care was with the shipbuilders and sea captains of the southern provinces, where his support remained strong. When Eldacar returned, he some support from the northern and western provinces, the fighting was brutal. In 1447-1448, Castamir was driven out and took refuge in Umbar, and were from then known as The Black Numenoreans and the Corsairs of Umbar.

This RP begins in the year 1430 of the Third Age in the City of Osgiliath with the aged King Valacar greeting the return of his son Prince Eldacar from Rhovanion. At the time Osgiliath was the High Seat of the King of Gondor and under King Rómendacil, was at the pinnacle of its glory. That would all change in the coming years.

~ If you would like to participate in this RP, post your intention to do so in the
OOC Commentary thread and post any characters you wish to write in the Character Profile thread. ~

~ A Final Note... or a request as it were.... If anyone posting in this story RP could untick their signature box before submitting their post, it would be appreciated.
It will give the thread a more of a book feel without the repeated sub texts and graphics.
~ Happy Writing! ~

Last edited by Hanasian on September 3rd, 2017, 12:07 am, edited 8 times in total.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: The Kin Strife of Gondor
PostPosted: February 15th, 2017, 1:30 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

“Osgiliath… end of the run!”

Shouted the Boatswain as they came to an open dock on the river of East Osgiliath. Berian awoke and blinked as he stood. it was in sight! He hoisted his two large duffle bags over each shoulder and walked down the quay to the street. Finding an inn not far away, he entered and looked around. It will have to do.

”Room for three days.”

He said to the woman at the desk near the door.

”Five Silvers a night. Comes with meals but not drinks.”

She said. Berian choked. He looked at her and said,

”It best be secure as I have a lot of stuff for the market.”

“Yes. Being that you sound Pelargirian, I can give you one silver off for the three nights.”

She said, Berian shrugged and dropped the coin on the desk, saying,

”Don’t do me any favors.”

Getting a key and getting settled, he rested some before deciding to head down to the common roon for a drink.

~ ~ ~ ~

Vilmaith marched in step with the Rhovanion Guard following Prince Eldacar. The Prince’s Gondorian Guard marched in front and kept a steady pace. It had been an honor to have been chosen by Prince Eldacar to accompany him to Gondor. She had heard much about the majestic city of Osgiliath and wanted to see it for herself. That time was approaching with every step. The people must be proud to have their crown prince returning from the land of his mother’s people. But as they approached the gates from the north, their reception was less than she had expected.

The gates opened and they entered to cheers, but amongst them, some jeers could be heard. Vilmaith realized that not everyone loved Prince Eldacar in his father’s home country. She quickly let the glamour of the city fade as she noted the faces of those who seemed opposed to his return. They marched on without missing a step.

As they drew closer to the King’s Palace, Valacar himself came forth to greet them. The crowds along the street was much more friendly the closer they got, and the lead captain called the procession to a half. The synchronous steps of boots came to an orderly halt, and the King walked up to greet his son as he dismounted his horse.

”Welcome son, welcome!”

He said. Eldacar shook his father’s hand and them hugged him.

”It is good to be back!”

Eldacar said. Valacar nodded and said quietly,

”You will find that things have changed since you have left. But we will speak more of these things shortly. Your men must be tired. The King’s Guard have made ready the west quarters for them. I see you have a company of Rhovanoins with you.”

“Yes father! The best of the best!”

Eldacar said proudly. Valacar nodded at them as they stood tall. He said to Eldacar,

”I hope their time here treats them well. Best advise them not to go to East City alone.”

Valacar said. Eldacar asked immediately,

”Why father, what is happening?”

Valacar dismissed the Guards to go find their quarters as he took his son aside. He said,

”The southern provinces have never forgiven me for marrying your dear mother. With the approach of the end of my time, they clearly will not accept you as King. It is mostly the Sea Captains Guild in Pelargir, but one of them of prominence is the grandson of my uncle Calimehtar. He has the means to stir up trouble. I only warned you of East City because of the ships coming upriver have infected the docklands with their poisonous words. Just beware my son.”

They went into the palace to talk more of events in the north and south.

Eldacar’s Royal Guards were led to their quarters not far away. Vilmaith along with three other shieldmaidens that were in the Rhovanion Guard were quartered in a room attached to the main quarters.
It felt good to get out of their gear and relax and to have a proper meal instead of field rations. As the sun westered, Vilmaith decided to go out and see the city.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 16th, 2017, 11:23 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Rie-Zunic stood at the ready as cheers and jeers could be heard and the rhythmical sound of solid soldiers in march echoed through the streets. It had been quite some time since the prince had been back. Rie-Zunic was a military man with a healthy rank. It was no mystery to him that many of the people did not like Eldacar nor his mother's bloodline. Rie-Zunic, however, was loyal. His king was his king and his King's son was the rightful heir to the throne. He stood erect in procession that waited to meet the prince.

At last, the prince could be seen with his Gondorian Guards. The king greeted his son with words of welcome but followed with words of warning. He mentioned the docks and the Pelargir. That was precisely where Rie-Zunic was headed after the formalities were over. He was on assignment from his superiors to hang around the East City for a few days and keep an eye out for any trouble.

As the king and prince moved their discussion in doors the soldiers turned their back to the crowd to face their royals as they departed. Once Valacar and Eldacar were indoors a voice raised over the murmurs and bustle of the crowd.

"Well, if it isn't Rie-Zunic."

Rie-Zunic knew that voice anywhere. "Almara? What are you doing in Osgiliath?" He turned to face the young women, the sun casting a redish tint to her near raven hair.

"You didn't think I would miss seeing the prince return did you?" Almara said with a smile, walking over to give Rie-Zunic a hug. The two greeted each other fondly and walked down the streets towards Rie-Zunic's small two room house. "I still don't see why you stay in this place," Almara said as he invited her in. "With your family or your rank you should have better."

"But those-"

"Under you," Almara broke in. "Yes I know. They have it worse. Everyone has to work their way up."

Rie-Zunic took off his armor and began to pack a few supplies. "If you know that, then you know the second reason." He pulled the drawstring on his bag and slung it over his shoulder.

"Your saving your money," Almara answered. "I know, I know..." She watched as he strapped on his old sword. Not his Gondorian military sword. It was the old sword him and her had learned to fight with as kids when he and his parents would visit the orphanage. "You heading out somewhere?" she asked, now curious as to why he was leaving all his military gear behind. That wasn't like him.

"I've been assigned to the East City," Rie-Zunic explained. "I'm to go undercover as a local and keep an eye out for trouble."

"Sounds like you need a tracker," Almara said with a sly smile.

"Why is it you only come to visit when you need a job?" Rie-Zunic chuckled. "It's not in the budget." He grabbed a canteen and tossed it to her. "I wouldn't mind the company, though." He smiled as he headed to the door, grabbing a second canteen on his way.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: February 18th, 2017, 4:22 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

The splendour of the city amazed Vilmaith. The great dome stood tall by the river and looked majestic. The stone felt, and smelled old and grand. She climbed a stair and stood on the west end of the great bridge of Osgiliath and looked about. The river was fairly wide and slow moving, and she walked out over the bridge and looked at the dark waters as they reflected the sky. She breathed in the moist evening air and turned to walk to the east side of the bridge.

”Not so fast there.”

A voice said as a man emerged from the edge of the bridge. Another came from the other side. Vilmaith could see they were guards, maybe the local city watch. Still, she tensed. She didn’t have her sword with her, just her dagger. She checked it before stepping forth.
”You are going to the East City?”

The 2nd guard said. Vilmaith said in her best Westron,

”Yes.”

The 1st guard raised his eyebrows and looked at the other guard. He then said,

”Well, it is getting dark, and it may not be safe for a pretty young lass such as yourself to be wandering around over there at night.”

“I can take care of myself.”

Vilmaith said sternly looking the guard in the eyes. He paused and looked at his partner before saying to her,

”Yes… I’m sure you can. You could likely take care of many things.”

He started to step out of the way as his patner looked out from the bridge rail. He waved at someone before turning back around. The guard bowed to Vilmaith and she started to walk past him. He said,

”There isn’t much to see over there.”

Vilmaith ignored him and started walking a bit faster. He then said,

”I had to give you a warning. Consider yourself warned. Have a good night lass.”

Vilmaith was glad to have them behind her. She was in the city of the Kings of Gondor, and Eldacar was crown prince. They didn’t know who she was being she was only dressed in her breeeches tunic, and surcoat. She got th the end of the bridge and it seemed darker. A long stair went down to a narrow street that fronted the docks, and she descended them. Coming to the street along the quay, the sounds seemed vibrant and welcoming. Nobody paid her any mind as she walked. Coming to an inn that fronted the street, she decided to go in. It was crowded inside, and it looked like some sort of game was going on at one of the tables. Vilmaith went to the bar and asked for something to drink. The bartender scowled at her at first, then raised an eyebrow. He tapped a mug of dark yellow beer from a wooden keg on the back wall and set it in front of her. She set a couple coins on the bar and took the mug. The bartenders hand went down on top of the mug and stopped her. He said,

”We take the King’s coin here, not this.”

He pushed the Rhovanion coins back at her. Vilmaith sighed and said,

”I don’t have any.”

“Then you don’t get the drink. Of course we could…”

It was then that Berian came staggering up. He shoved his way to the bar and said,

”I need another beer.”

The bartender slid the beer he gave to Vilmaith over to him as he dropped coin on the bar. Vilmaith said,

”That’s my beer.”

“That’s her beer.”

Berian repeated drunkenly to the bartender. The bartender shook his head,

”No, she hasn’t paid for it. You paid, so it’s yours.”

Berian seemed puzzled by that as he looked at the beer that had the woman’s hand on it and te bartender’s hand on it. Berian finally said as he laid out more coin.

”I been lucky at the table, and made back what you robbed me for the room and then some, so I’ll buy this lady here this beer. Now get me a beer!”

“You know she’s Rhovanion.”

The barkeep muttered even as he scooped up Berian’s coins and tapped another beer. Berian slurred back to him,

”So what. Can’t you see she dresses nice and is… is… blonde? Come my friend, let us go over there and drink our beers.”

Vilmaith let that play out, and she really wasn’t interested in the drunken man who bought her the beer. But it was her first night in Osgiliath, and she didn’t want to cause any trouble. She said as she scooped up her beer,

”Sure, let us go sit and drink, and maybe even talk.

Berian waved that off and made his way to a table by the open window that looked over the street. The breeze was refreshing and Berian lifted his mug and said,

”To the North!”

Vilmaith countered as she lifted her mug and said,

”To Gondor!”

She sipped her beer and made a face. Berian downed his. He looked at her and smiled.

”I am Berian from Pelargir. I just got here this morning. It is a pleasure making your acquaintance!”

Vilmaith looked around before turning back to Berian. She said,

”I am Vilmaith of Rhovanion, and I too just got here today. I will wait and see how I feel about making your acquaintance.”

Berian chuckled at her words. He said,

”Well, hopefully by the end of the night you will let me know?”

Vilmaith smiled slightly. She looked around again and it seemed everyone was having a good time, and though wary, she considered loosening up some. She nodded and downed half her beer. Berian giggled, for Vilmaith had foam on her upper lip. She quickly licked it off, and rolling her neck around with a slight crack, she downed the rest of her beer. She said as her mug hit the table,

”I would buy the next ones, but they don’t like my money here.”

“Yeah, about that. I think we can make some sort of arrangement, you and me. How about you pay me with your money, and I pay them with my money?”

Vilmaith looked at him warily before setting out a hand full of Rhovanion coins. Berian picked one up and looked at it. He examined the edge where clean metal showed from a recent drop. He then turned it over in his fingers and felt the weight before putting it back down with the others. He said,

”How much do you think it is worth in the King’s coin?”

Vilmaith shrugged, saying,

”I’m not sure…. I know I could get a small keg of good mead from the merchant back home.”

Berian looked at the coin and back to Vilmaith. He said,

”Well then, being most of the beer here isn’t all that great, how about I buy you all you can drink tonight for your coins.”
Vilmaith fingered the seven coins on the table considering the offer. Berian then added,

”I’ll make sure we get the reserve and not the swill. It will be better.”

Vilmaith looked again at the coins, before finally pushing them over to Berian. He slid them into his hand and they went into a small pouch. He then said,

”I’ll be right back with the first of many beers!”

Berian went off to the bar, and Vilmaith watched him as best she could. But the place was getting crowded and several men eyes her alone at the table. After the third man asked to sit, she grew uncomfortable thinking she was taken by Berian.

Barien finally managed to get to the bar. Another ship had come upriver and docked, so the place was really full. He said to the bartender,

”Would it be possible to have my and the lady’s drinks added together and charged to my room?”

“I don’t do credit.”

The bartender said as he tapped a beer for someone paying. Berian said,

”Look, all my wares are in room 7. I’m here for three days of which I already paid. I will pay you when I leave.”

“Alright. Number seven.” Got it. Now what do you want?"

The bartender grumbled. Berian said,

”Two tankards of the good heavy.”

”Sure…”

He looked in the distance and back at Berian and added,

”You like that northerner eh?”

“What if I do? Can’t see it being any of your business.”

The bartender stepped back as he set the two tankards before Berian. He said,

”I’m sorry, just making an observation. Here, I will make things easier for you.”

He called over to a young maid who was cleaning tankards. She came up shyly and he said to her,

”It is busy and I need your help. I want you to tend to some tables. Especially the one where Berian here sits. He will want the best ale brought to his table regularly. I’m sure he will tip you well if you provide good service.”

The maid gulped. She wanted to make more money, but serving tables… She said,

”Bu... but.. the tankards are not all clean…”

“Yeah… I need them. Ok, you serve only Berian, and in between his beers, you can clean the tankards.”

The bartender said. Berian nodded at the young maid and said to her,

”Get the tankards to our table in a timely manner and all will be well. And yes, I will give you a tip if you serve us well.”

Barien gave her a wink and turned and went off with the tankards. He could see that Vilmaith was drawing some attention but no trouble was coming from it. Berian sat down with the beers, and Vilmaith seemed relieved he had returned.

”I thought you weren’t coming back.”

“It was crowded and I hade to do some talking. I did get us private table service if that is worth anything. Anyway, skoal!”

He lifted his tankard, and Vilmaith following his lead hoisted her and they tapped. They both then started drinking. Vilmaith finished hers first, for the air was warm and she was thirsty. Berian blinked and said,

”It isn’t a contest you know. Maybe we take the next one a bit slower?”

Vilmaith nodded as she let out a loud belch. She said as she wiped her mouth,

”Yeah, maybe, we’ll see. Now that was a proper drink!”

The Heavy Reserve was a small batch brewed locally and was rather strong. Berian could see that this deal he made with Vilmaith may not be such a good one after all. He had after all drunkenly guessed at the coins weight in silver, thinking he could get his money back and then some after melting them down. His thought was broken by the young maid who came to the table and set down two more tankards. They both picked them up and sipped as they looked at each other over the top of the mugs. The moment was broken by a slam on the table.

”A King’s Silver says I can down an ale faster than you.”

A rather burly man, a sailer by his looks, said as he stared at Vilmaith. She started to rise and face him but Berian cut in, saying,

”That may be so, but this beer she enjoys. If you want some sort of contest, that is between you and her…”

Vilmaith put his hand on Berians shoulder as she stood. She said to him,

”I got this. Watch my ale.”

She stepped over in front of the big man and looked up at him.

”You buy the beers and I’ll contest you.”

A cheer went up among his friends, and they all started talking and placing bets. Two of the rough ales soon came, and Vilmaith nodded at the young maid who had served them before. The maid put her hand on Vilmaiths arm and looked pleadingly at her not to do this. Vilmaith brushed the girls hair by her temple and gave her a nod, and thanked her for the beers. She took up a tankard as did the man. Berian sighed and wondered why he was doing this, but he bet on Vilmaith. With a slap of the table, the two went to schooning their tankards. It was fast and sloppy, but Vilmaith slammed her tankard down just before the man. There was a few cheers and many groans. She eyed the man and he nodded and stepped back.

”I’ll try!”

Said another of his friends. Two more tankards were brought, and Vilmaith readied herself. It seemed the odds had shifted some toward Vilmaith, but she was still the underdog. Berian bet again on Vilmaith. Even if he lost, she wasn’t getting her beer on his tab. Should she finish and still stand, her ale will be waiting right here for her. After three, nobody came forth to challenge her, and she eyed everyone around her, and retreated back to the table. She picked up her tankard and said slurringly to Berian,

”I think they may have learned…”

She let out a loud belch and giggled. But if she thought it was over, it wasn’t. More people came into the inn, and word spread about how Vilmaith could out-skoal anyone. It was only time before more challengers would come.

Last edited by Hanasian on March 1st, 2017, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 18th, 2017, 2:35 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Rie-Zunic and Almara made their way to the East City, crossing the bridge over the river. The guards halted them, of course, to offer their warning.

"It's quite late to be traveling to the east side of the city," the guard warned. "There is a lot of commotion going on over there these days."

"Thank you, kind sir," Rie-Zunic replied. "I understand. I'm quite aware of the current turmoil. We can handle ourselves."

The guards seemed to shake his head a bit as he walked back to the edge of the bridge. "Very well... head on past." Then he mumbled something about there being a lot of people crossing the bridge that night who could, "Handle themselves."

"What did he mean by that?" Almara asked.

"I'm guessing there has been a lot of traffic?" Rie-Zunic replied. "I would inquire, but the guards are not to know of my task at hand."

"Ah, of course not," Almara said with raised brow. "So... you are at least covering my expenses in exchange for me accompanying you... right?"

Rie-Zunic cast a questioning look her way. "Did I say that? I'm sure your money is just as good as mine."

"Uh... well, you see that's the thing," Almara smiled shyly. "I don't actually, uh, have any money." Rie-Zunic scowled at her but before he could say anything she continued in a less innocent and more serious voice. "The last of what I had I left with the orphanage. They have not had as many donations lately due to the unrest in the city... That's why I came looking for a job."

Rie-Zunic sighed as they walked down the streets and headed to an inn. "Don't worry, I'll cover your expenses. Just don't overspend, please."

"What?" Almara hung her mouth open in pretend shock. "Rie... you should know better. I'm always thrifty." She smiled and winked as they entered the inn.

There seemed to be quite the commotion, mostly centered around a table with a young women with sandy blond hair and an immensely drunken sailor.

"Well, looks like quite the crowd," Almara said as they walked up to the front desk. She watched a rather shy looking maid hurry back towards the tankards as she left the table with all the commotion.

"We aren't staying down here,' Rie-Zunic said bluntly. He tapped a finger on the front counter to get the attention of the owner. "I'd like two rooms, please."

"Uh, one," Almara said, eyes still trained on the young maid as she disappeared around a corner. She turned back to Rie-Zunic. "One will be fine. I'd hate to spend too much of your money."

Rie-Zunic sent a cross look her way, but lay down the coins for one room. Enough coin for a week.

"Room eight is available," the man told him, handing him the key. "Anything else we can get you?"

"No thank you," Rie-Zunic responded, taking the key and heading straight for the room.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2017, 9:25 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Vilmaith nursed her good ale as she rested in the chair. She stared into her tankard and rolled it around.

”You might want to take it easy there…”

“Why? You got my coin and you aren’t buying…”

Berian put his hand up and said,

”Sure. Fine. You will get no interference from me.”

He sat back and sipped his ale, looking at her look into her tankard. As Berian finished his tankard, he sat it on the table and stood, saying to Vilmaith,

”I’m going to retire for the evening. If you need a beer, just ask the young maid.”

Berian doubted Vilmaith would need any more. On his way by, he stopped the maid who was going to bring two more tankards to their table.

”Miss…”

“Nadia”

the maid said quickly as she froze with their next two tankards on her hands. Berian smiled and said,

”Nadia… a lovely name. You know my friend up there at the table. Her name is Vilmaith. See that she is well taken care of.”

Nadia didn’t quite understand what he meant, but the two strange silver coins he showed her before dropping them into her apron pouch excited her, and she would keep a close watch on Vilmaith’s needs. Berian smiled again at Nadia and took one of the tankards with him as he headed to his room. Nadia stood for a moment and reached in to get one of the coins from her pouch and she looked at it. It was much different than those of the realm, but of comparable size. She pocketed it and quickly strolled up to the table and sat the tankard in front of Vilmaith. She was looking down with her hands on her head and looked up at Nadia.

”Thank You. I will not need any more after this one.”

“Can I do anything else for you my lady?”

Nadia said meekly. She wanted to earn the coin Berian gave her. Vilmaith smiled and said,

”I could use some water to drink.”

Nadia smiled and nodded, she turned around to get Vilmaith some water when she ran right into a tall man. He grabbed her wrists and looked down at her. Nadia tried to pull free but he held fast to her wrists.

”Hello missy! I been eyeing you since I came in here. I see you want to play…”

Vilmaith stood suddenly and stepped toward the man saying,

”Let her go!”

The man looked hard at Vilmaith and said as he spun Nadia around and held her against him.

”What is she to you Rhovanion wench?”

ilmaith steadied herself before stepping over to him. She looked Nadia in her frightened eyes and gave her a look of reassurance, then looked hard up into the man’s eyes.

”What is she to me? She was going to get me some water to drink, and you are preventing that from happening. Now you can let her go, or I will free her. It is your choice.”

It was then one of the man’s friends leaned to him and whispered something. He looked again at Vilmaith and said,

”Ok Rhovanion, I will let her go. But my friend says you beat him skoaling earlier. “

“I did.”

Vilmaith replied, seeing where this was going. She went on to say,

”Release the maid, and I will beta you as well…. AFTER, she gets me some water.”

He let Nadia free and she ran off. Vilmaith didn’t expect her to return after that scare, but she did with fresh water. Vilmaith drank it and sighed , giving a smile and wink to Nadia.

”Three buckets each.”

The man said as two of his friends came carrying three buckets each. Vilmaith eyed the size of the buckets, each easily three tankards each. She took a breath and said,

”What is the wager? I say if I win, I take that gold chain and pendant you are wearing.”

The man chuckled. He asked,

”And if I win?”

Vilmaith twirled a lock of her hair with her finger. She didn't have an answer. She said,

"What would you ask for?"

The man grinned, he said,

"You."

Vilmaith smirked, she said,

"Yeah, well I'm worth a bit more than that chain and pendent. I will also take your sword, knives, jerkin, tunic, boots, and belt. I think that is worth part of me."

The man grunted, then smiled. He was sure he had this. He said,

"Deal."

The bartender himself came and announced the rules of the contest as the bets came hard and fast. Vilmaith even convinced him to allow her to bet on herself on credit. He expected her to lose as he knew this man, and he knew he could drink. He said,

"There are three buckets each. Pausing once per bucket is allowed, most must be drained and not spilled, and a second pause or any choking is an instant loss. Let the contest begin!"

Vilmaith grabbed her first bucket and looked at the man. He brimmed with confidence as he picked up his bucket. A hand slap on the table set them in motion. They chugged heartily with splashes of foam spilling down their shoulders. The first was done at the same time. The second Vilmaith started first, but they finished at the same time. The third was tougher. Vilmaith had to pause and she let out a loud belch before chugging more. She spilled a lot on herself, but the innkeeper didn't flag it as excessive. The man was making a run to win when he gagged and beer went spraying everywhere. He dropped his bucket on the table and it splashed all over Vilmaith, but she managed to suck down her last and lifted her bucket in the air. The man slammed his fist onto the table, and Vilmaith leaned onto the table and said,

"Pay up."

Vilmaith leaned onto the table and steadied herself. Everything started to sound far away and slow. The noise seemed louder, and voices seemed slower. She blinked and held onto the table as she squinted at the man. His friends were taunting him, the innkeeper dumped several couls into her hand, and everything started to spin.... Vilmaith felt an arm go around her, and she saw people and things moving by. Somehow she got down the three steps without falling, mainly because she was held close. They went into the back of the inn and everything went black.

Vilmaith cracked her eye open slightly.The light seemed too bright. She closed it again and took a breath. Things were not quite horizontal feeling to her as her head began to spin. When someone moved beside her on the straw mat. Vilmaith jumped awake and sat up.

"It is all right."

a soothing voice said as the sat up beside her. It was Nadia.

"What... where... what happened..."

Vilmaith stammered. Nadia stood up. and said with a smile,

"You won!"

Nadia grabbed a bag of coins and held it out to Vilmaith. She took it and dumped the gold coins of the realm into her hand. Nadia then said,

"You won all this as well."

She pointed to a chair that had several items on it. Vilmaith let her head fall to her hands.

"I think I'm going to be sick..."

Nadia pushed a pail toward Vilmaith and she relieved her stomach.

"I'm sorry..."

"It isn't the first time. You got sick a couple times through the early morning."

Vilmaith sighed. She asked Nadia,

"Can you tell me just what all happened?"

"What do you last remember?"

Nadia replied. Vilmaith closed her eyes and said,

"Finishing that last bucket, I think."

Nadia nodded as she dressed. She said,

"Yes... He wasn't going to pay, but the innkeeper and the man's friends kept him to his word. He had me help you off the table and down to my room here. He made sure you got what you were owed. He is harsh, but he is fair even to foreigners. You got sick and I sat and held your hair and washed your face after, and tried to make you comfortable...."

Nadia paused and blushed and turned her head. She said meekly,

"I..I never had anybody stay with me in my room before. You were telling me stories.... can I write songs of them?

Vilmaith leaned forward and let her head rest against her knees.

Shure you can. I hope they were true and understandable, because I do not remember."

She looked at the bag of coin, then held it out to Nadia,

"Here, you deserve this. For being so nice to me...I need to get back to... "

Vilmaith fell backwards onto the bed and started snoring. Somehow, she felt safe in Nadia's room.

Nadia brushed Vilmaith's hair with her fingers and whispered,

"Sleep now. I will be back after my morning duties."

=======

Last edited by Hanasian on February 21st, 2017, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 20th, 2017, 8:34 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Rei-Zunic stopped as they passed the commotion at the table, noticing Almara stopped first. He glanced back and he saw a man holding the bar maid quite forcefully and a glare crossed his face.

Almara was not so subtle, she reached for dagger the moment she saw the scene. Rie-Zunic noticed the Rhovanian women standing up as she demanded the man release the maid. He gave a quizzical look. He was half certain she was on that came in with prince Eldacar. He laid a hand on Almara's, staying her weapon. Almara, in turn, looked at him with fire in her eyes but calmed as Rie-Zunic nodded towards the Rhovanian women. Almara slowly slid her dagger back into it's sheath but did not take her hand off it.

A few moments into the conversation between the Rhovanian and the man things seemed to be calming down. Then the man released the maid and she hurried off.

"We don't need to draw attention to ourselves if it's not necessary," Rie-Zunic reminded Almara.

Almara still had a stern look. "I know..." was all she said.

As the new drinking game ensued Rie-Zunic turned to head back to the room. Almara following hesitantly. Once they made it to the room Rie-Zunic took off his long brown coat and hung it on the bedpost, taking a seat on the half comfortable bed and lighting the oil lamp nearby.

"So..." he said, looking up at Almara who took off her cloak and boots. "How have you been? It's been nearly six months since you last visited."

Almara took off her weaponry as well, with the exception of her dagger, then headed over to the bed to sit beside him shoulder to shoulder. "I've been... well, I've been better," she admitted with a sigh.

"Because of the orphanage?" he asked. "You know if they need anything you can always come to me. I've always been a supporter of their cause."

"I know," she said, looking up to him with a smile. "But it's not just that. This... political unrest worries me."

Rie-Zunic scowled, though a scowl of concern not judgement. "Why?"

"The runes say that if mixed blood reigns chaos will reign along side!" Her voice was passionate.

At this Rei-Zunic sighed and shook his head. "Almara, you know I don't put any trust in your superstitions."

"I know you don't Rei, but they have never been wrong yet."

Rie-Zunic sighed and kicked off his boots. "The king has an heir. It's legal, it's legitimate... Nothing more should be said of this matter."

Almara glared and grumbled something under her breath, then sighed. "Fine... since you are paying the bills."

Rie-Zunic laid back on the bed and put his hands over his face. "Thank you," he said sincerely. He took his hands off, however, as Almara laid down beside him and rested her head on his chest. "Almara..."

"I know Rie..." she said softly. "I'm not planning on sleeping here. I just... want a moment with you."

"We've been over this," Rie-Zunic said, almost coldly, sitting up.

"Sorry..." Almara said, sitting up and heading over to her things that she had set in the corner.

Rie-Zunic sighed and followed her over to the corner. "I'm letting you take the bed," he said, nodding back towards the bed. "I'm not going to argue about it either." He interrupted her just as she was about to protest.

Almara gave a soft glare, but smiled at the same time. "Thank you." She headed over to the bed and tossed Rie-Zunic a pillow and one of the blankets, then crawled under the light sheet. She glanced over as Rie-Zunic got situated. Once he was settled she put out the lamp and said, "Good night Rie."

"Good night Almara," his response came softly... almost affectionately. Then silence filled the darkness.

Last edited by Jax Nova on February 21st, 2017, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2017, 3:33 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

After he left the common room, Berian headed to his room, feeling a little guilty about leaving Vilmaith down there with those unruly sailors. But she insisted that she could see to herself, and Berian knew that when you see that burning glint in a woman's eye when she takes offense to something, you step back. She definitely didn't want some guy she just met and didn't really know getting in her way. Her business wasn't his business, and he had five silvers still, which would likely pay for all the beer they had and then some. Most of all, he was rather drunk himself and wanted to go to sleep. He wanted to see about the Osgiliath Markets he had heard about in Pelargar and on the ship.

He lay back on his mat and closed his eyes. was drifting off to sleep when he heard boots on the floorboards in the hall. He instinctively grabbed his dagger and started at the ceiling. The next door opened and closed, and there was talking in the next room. The walls were only planks after all. The ramshackle inn didn't offer much by way of privacy. He relaxed and closed his eyes, listening to the man and woman in the next room talking. He couldn't make out much of what they were saying, but he heard enough to know they wouldn't be banging the wall all night. He silently mouthed 'goodnight' after they did and he soon fell asleep.

Berian slept hard., much better than what he expected. His eyes opened to daylight and he sat up. He would take a pack of his leathers and see if he could find this market. It is probably over west across that bridge. Berian again heard footfall on the floorboards outside his door. He again put his and on his dagger, but the passed. He needed to learn to relax, but still it is always best to be ready... within reason anyways.

With a light tapping on the door next to his, he could hear a light voice of a woman asking,

"Good morning. Would you like any clean linens?"

Berian guessed he would be next and stood up to answer the impending knock. Instead he heard the door next to his open.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 21st, 2017, 7:46 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Almara was up before the sun, as usual. Rie-Zunic could be if he wanted to be but given the chance to sleep in he much preferred a late night and late start. Almara stood silently by the window, watching him sleep and occasionally glancing outside as things grew lighter. Then, sometime shortly after sunrise was in full blossom a knock came to her door.

"Good morning. Would you like any clean linens?"

Almara walked calmly over to the door and opened it, stepping out in the hall way to greet the maid who she had seen the other night involved in all the fuss around that busy table. "Hey," she said stepping out and shutting the door behind her. "My... companion is still sleeping," she told the maid. "But it would be nice to have some fresh linens. Could you just drop there here outside the door? I can take them in." She smiled and the maid agreed, handing her the linens.

"Will this be enough," the women asked.

"Yes, thank you," Almara said. The women was about to turn towards the next door when Almara continued. "You were the one that man was bothering last night aren't you? Are you alright? He didn't... do anything to you after the Rhovanian women stopped him did he?"

Last edited by Jax Nova on February 21st, 2017, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2017, 9:42 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

(Ahem... siggy?)

Nadia blushed and looked down slightly, letting her hair shadow her face. She said softly,

"No... no... he left me alone. Had Jarod... the innkeeper, gotten there with his club, he would have regretted grabbing me. But the Rhovanion woman... Vilmaith is her name... she saved the man from the club by getting him to let go of me. I was careless..."

Nadia looked up after a moment and blinked as she said,

"Could I bring you any fresh water to drink or wash with? I could bring your breakfast meals to your room if you wish"

She looked at Almara with an inquisitive but shy look as the door to number seven opened. Berian emerged with a large pack on his back and he shut and locked the door. He gave a nod and said,

"Good Morning Ladies!"

before turning and starting down the hall.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 21st, 2017, 10:48 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

(Memory serves me well only half the time. I'm afraid I did forget indeed)

"That's good," Almara said, a sincere sound of relief to her voice. "I can't stand men like that..." she scowled at the thought. "If you ever have trouble and don't have anyone else at the time... feel free to ask me if I am around." She noted the Rhovanian women's name, thinking it might be of interest to Rie-Zunic.

"That's very kind," Almara said as Nadia offered further services. "Some water would be much appreciated. For drinking and washing. I don't think our meals in the room will be necessary, but thank you for the offer. I-" She stopped as the door to the neighboring room opened and a man stepped out.

"Good Morning Ladies!" He said with a nod.

Almara nodded but eyed him cautiously, as she generally did to strangers who spoke to her. After the man had passed she turned back to Nadia. "My name is Almara, by the way."

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2017, 12:20 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

(Habit. I had t go back and edit out a couple on my posts as well.Usually I see it when I preview nut not always)

Nadia nodded at Berian as he left then turned back to Almara,

"I am Nadia. I live in the back room of the inn. I usually do maid's work, but last night was the first time I served tables. If you need anything, please come and ask for me."

Nadia gave Almara a slight bow as she looked into her eyes. Nadia's face lit up as she smiled, and turned to get some water for her.

Nadia was beaming! She had met not one, but two strong independent women in the last day. She started humming a song as she checked on Vilmaith before going out to the well. She was asleep still, looking peaceful. Nadia quietly left her and went out to fill a bucket and two jars with fresh water she drew up from the well. Quickly making her way back inside the inn, she went back to room eight and lightly tapped on the door.

=================

Berian crossed the river bridge with barely a nod from the morning guard. They were busy talking to three shieldmaidens who were dressed in full battle gear. They only briefly looked at him as he walked by. He wasn't the only one going to set up for the market. Many traders who had come in the night before had already crossed to the west city. Berian followed one man with a cart, guessing the easiest way to find the market would be to follow someone who looked like he had been there before.

=================

Rhovanion Guard Shieldmaidens Vilna, Vinavi, and Rhinna set out early from the barracks to find Vilmaith. She had not returned last night and was missing at morning rollcall. Rhinna managed to throw her voice when the Rhovanian captain of the guard called Vilmaith's name, but they would not be able to cover for her again. There were only four of them in Eldacar's Guard, and it appeared Gondorian women didn't serve in the military, so it would soon be obvious if one went missing. They set out after their dismissal and started searching for her. The twins Vilna and Vinavi who knew Vilmaith best guessed she would go to the rougher area of the city, and they were directed to the Docklands Quarter. After talking with the bridge guard, they set off across the bridge.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2017, 8:57 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Almara gave a polite nod to Nadia. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, and you have a lovely name. I knew a young girl by that name once..." Her face seemed a little less happy for a moment or two but then she smiled again. "I'll be in the room, I'm sure by the time you get here with the water my companion will be waking." As Nadia went off to get the water Almara headed back into the room. She rolled her eyes, looking over to see Rie-Zunic still sleeping. "He probably laid awake half the night," she thought to herself. She walked quietly over to her pack and rummaged through. She had some old dried bread... or it used to be bread. It was hard as rock now. She had a small portion of cheese, thoroughly covered in green mold, and a healthy sized bag of dried meats. She pulled out her dagger and carved the mold off the cheese, deciding it would be breakfast. Shortly after she finished another tap on the door sounded.

"Your water, ma'am," Nadia's voice came from outside.

Almara opened the door and smiled. "Thank you kindly. I'm afraid he is still asleep." She nodded towards Rie-Zunic, who lay on the floor. "Just set them here if you would," She added, motioning just inside the doorway.

Nadia set the water down and glanced over at Rie-Zunic asleep on the floor. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize you two were't sharing the bed." She felt a little awkward saying that, thinking about it afterwards. "I'll be sure to bring you an extra set of blankets, pillows... and whatever else you may need."

"It's quite alright," Almara said. "But some extra blankets and pillows would be nice."

Nadia nodded, stepping back out in the hallway. "Anything else?"

"Um..." Almara looked thoughtful, glancing over at Rie-Zunic. "Not in the line of maid service, but perhaps another service. Working here you must hear a lot of talk. If you hear anything regarding the Prince... talk of him or the Rhovanians, good or bad could you let me know? Please, though, make sure you tell no one of this. I swear my intentions are merely to keep people safe."

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2017, 11:59 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Nadia paused and turned to Almara with her eyes wide. She looked down the hall and back to Almara. She said in a low whisper,

” You will say naught to anyone?”

Nadia again looked down the hall and back to Almara who could see that Nadia had become scared somebody might hear them. Almara took Nadia’s hand and stepped back into the room. Almara closed the door and looked again at Nadia, who took a deep breath and whispered,

”I have heard some things… drunk men say more than they know. Last night…. the seamen were well behaved and were entertained by Vilmaith, but when she had gone, one of them who sat in the corner the whole night said some things to the others about the Rhovanions and of Eldacar. I didn’t hear what he said, but they all looked grim after hearing his words. I think he was a deck officer from one of the ships that came in from Pelargir.”

Nadia looked over at the sleeping mad when he made a snorting noise, and Almara looked at her and said,

”You will know him if you see him again?”

Nadia nodded her head and bit her lower lip slightly. Almara opened the door and Nadia stepped out. She was going to say something more when a voice from the end of the hall said,

”Nadia, there you are!”

It was Jarod the innkeeper. He waved her to him and she came at once.

”Are you not done yet with room service? Nevermind, you have a new job. You did so well on the tables last night that I decided you will be my number one serving maid. You won’t have to clean tankards anymore as I found a boy to do that. But I will still expect you to do your normal room service.”

Nadia nodded as she looked down at the floor and said quietly,

”Yes sir, thank you sir.”

She passed him and went down the stair, and Jarod looked down the hall before turning and following her.

Last edited by Hanasian on February 25th, 2017, 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2017, 6:58 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Almara gave a curt nodd and gentle smile to Jarod when he looked her way. After he had left she stepped inside the room and moved the water to the far corner away from the window. She glanced back at Rie-Zunic. "This is pushing it... even for you Rie," she mumbled. She was getting bored sotting in the room all morning. While she waited she took her overcoat and long sleeves off so she could wash up a bit. She had just finished up and was carying the dirty water over to the window to dump when she heard Rie-Zunic's voice.

"You know I don't like it when do things like that."

Almara jumped, nearly droping the water. She gasped, "Rie-Zunic! You know I don't like it when you surprise me. Besides..." she regained her composure and tried to act innocent. "Since when am I not allowed to wash up?"

"You know that's not what I'm talking about," he retorted.

Almara sighed in defeat. "How long have you been awake?" She nearly cringed as she asked, not saving it for his answer.

"Ever since the maid brought the water," he answered, finally crawling out from under his cover and getting himself a drink of water.

Almara opened the window and dumped the water. "Sorry... I just felt like she could be trusted. I wanted to help."

Rie-Zunic gave a half smile. "It's alright. You are probably correct." He grabbed his sword and jacket and put them on. "Your feeelings usually are pretty spot on."

Almara smiled with a gentle timidity that only Rie-Zunic could bring out in her. She looked up just in time to catch her long sleeved travelers wear when Rie-Zunic tossed it to her. At this her smile changed to one of excitement. "Finally ready to go?"

"Waiting on you," Rie-Zunic teased, standing by the door as she put her weaponry and overcoat on, rolling her eyes at his response.

Once she was ready they headed down to the Inn front to get some breakfast... or rather dinner almost, by now.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2017, 5:54 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Vilna and Vinavi walked along the riverfront, looking for any sign of Vilmaith. It seemed none they asked had seen her. Vinavi said to her sister,

”If I was Vilmaith, where would I go?”

Vilna turned and looked where Vidnavi was pointing and said.

”The Keel Chain Inn? Really? Guess we can have a look. Who knows, she may already be back at the barracks.”

“One drink and we will go.”

Vidnavi said in a mock pleading voice. Vilna noticed that they speakning Rhovanion was drawing attention from some of the dock workers.

”Speak Westron”

Vilna said in a whispering voice. Vidnavi nodded and looked around. She adjusted the shield strapped over her back, checked the hilt of her sword, and started to walk to the inn.

Coming inside, the place stunk of beer and puke. Vilna crumpled her face as she looked about for Vilmaith, but Vidnavi went straight to the bar and ordered a couple flagons. Vilna soon joined her. They stood at the bar and sipped the beer. Again, Vilna crumpled her face, but Vidnavi shrugged in a seeming acceptance of its quality. Nadia walked by from wiping tables and getting ready for the lunch and dinner crowd, when she looked at the sisters. She paused for a moment. Vidnavi wasted no time in asking her,

“Have you seen someone who looks somewhat like us here?”

Nadia nodded shyly as she froze and looked at the twins. Vilna noticed her eyes had looked toward the back ever so briefly before doing so. Nadia asked Vidnavi

”She is not in any trouble is she?"

Vidnavi smiled at Nadia and shook her head. Nadia seemed relieved by this when a howl went up from deep in the back of the kitchen.

Vilma had slipped by Nadia and went to look for Vilmaith. Finding her still asleep, Vilma dumped the large pitcher of water onto her and she awoke with a start. Sputtering and swinging, she charged at Vilna who grabbed her wrists and brought her to a stop.

”You are late for roll call!”

Vilna said loudly in Rhovanion looking Vilmaith sternly in the face. The water dripped from Vilmaith’s hair and she wiped her face with her arm and shook herself as she yawned. Her mouth finished by opening and closing a couple times, dry. Vilna went on to say,

”Well, was he worth it? You know the penalty for not showing for roll call…”

Just then Nadia and Vidnavi walked in. Nadia shuddered and cried out,

”What have you done to my bed?”

She reached down and pulled the wet blanket up. Vilna looked at Vidnavi, then they looked back at Vilmaith. Vilna said with a smile,

”Ah, I see.”

Vidnavi giggled as Vilna led Vilmaith out of the room.

”Come on, we’re going to finish our beers, then we can get you back so you can clean up.”

Vilmaith retched at hearing the word beer. The three returned to the bar and the sisters picked up their flagons and clashed them in honor of a successful mission finding Vilmaith in one piece. They downed their beers and slammed the flagons onto the bar. Vilna without breaking her happy demeanour said quietly to Vilmaith and Vidnavi.

”There is a man and a woman up there at a table eating. The woman hides it good, but I clearly caught her looking at us.”

“People here are always looking at us. We are Rhovanions.”

Vilmaith said. Vidnavi lifted her empty flagon and saluted them. Whether they saw it or not didn’t matter. Vilna said,

”Maybe we should go…”

The other two nodded as Nadia came out with a bundle. She stepped up to Vilmaith and said,

”You forgot these.”

Vilmaith smiled and took the bundle. She said,

”I thank you Nadia for your kindness. I owe you much for all you did for me last night.”

Both Vilma and Vidnavi started to giggle, but Vilmaith started hard at one then the other,

”You two shut up.”

They both went quiet, but the smirk remained. Nadia nodded her head in a bow and turned to go serve tables. The three Rhovanion women started for the door when a man dressed in fine black stepped into the doorway. Two rough sailors stood slightly behind him. He said loudly,

”Jarod, what did we talk about just the other day? Yet, here you are serving these Rhovanion wenches.”

Vilmaith started to make a move as she tensed. Vilna and Vidnavi held her back. Their smirks were gone as their blue eyes burned into the man. Vidnavi finally said,

”We were just leaving sir.”

The man stepped forward as did his two toughs. He said,

”Maybe you were, but then, maybe you weren’t.”

Vilmaith stepped forward calmly as the sister’s grip on her relaxed. She said as she smiled and looked down at his feet,

“Look, we don’t want any troubles here….”

“There wouldn’t be any if you wouldn’t have come in here.”

It was then five Rhovanion soldiers came up behind them and pushed their way past the toughs and the man in black. There was a silence as the man stepped to the side. A hush had come over the place. It was Vidnavi who broke the silence as the Rhovanion men started to look concerned.

”Mr… I didn’t catch the name. Meet some of our comrades-in-arms.”

The Rhovanions nodded in politeness, realizing they had walked into something but not sure what. Vilmaith turned and said to the sisters,

”You know what, I think I do want a beer before we go. A bit of the hair of the dog.”

She turned and stepped to the bar,

” Jarod, eight of the reserves please.”

Jarod stood with his mouth open, it closed and opened again with no words coming. He looked at the man in black as the Rhovanions crowded up to the bar around Vilmaith expecting a good beer. Vilna and Vidnavi stood with their hands on the hilts of their swords staring at the two toughs. The man in black looked at Jarod and waved is hand to the side and walked out the door. Jarod swallowed and had Nadia start tapping the ales.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next