Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~ The Inn By The Side Of The Road ~
PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 3:49 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The coffee was enjoyable, and seeing the inn empty, Dawn finally said to Caila,
"Yes, I will work here for you."
Caila smiled as Dawn sipped down the rest of her coffee. She then saw some movement outside the windows and realized some men had come. She set the cup down and ran back to the room. Marion had left her in th eroom and she did not close the door when she left, so she went in and made sure the door was closed. She moved a chaor and wedged it under the door knob, and she went and looked at the window. She could climb out if she needed to. She decided to stand there and listen for a while.

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 11:30 am 
Ent
Ent

Mariel was about to reveal the truth behind who the Ranger was when Durian turned around and walked back into the Inn. Once he rounded the corner, she looked up at the glazier and nodded.
"Thank you, sir. I suppose we will set out on our journey once Kurn returns."
She smiled then kicked the dust underneath her feet as she waited for Durian to return. As they waited, her mind began to wander to thoughts of her husband. She shifted her gaze from the ground to the bush where her loot was hidden. A sigh escaped her lips as she recalled her husbands voice as he threatened to reveal her past to the King. She could never allow anyone to know her dealings in the past, not even Durian. Especially not him.
Her gaze was drawn back to the glazier as he began to draw circles in the ground with his cane.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 12:29 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

As the men moved away, Lwelyn slipped out of his hiding place. The lady was still there, but Durian was no where to be seen. Lwelyn sat at the edge of the brush wondering about the job offered to him. Perhaps the lady would know if Durian was a good master. No not master, his mind told him, employer. But the past refused to let him go. Hesitatingly, he walked up to the woman, moving into her line of sight.

"You were with...Durian..." he said haltingly. "Is he...is he a good master?"

He kept his eyes on the ground out of habit and scuffed the dust at his feet lightly.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 1:16 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel glanced up as a young man stepped out of the brush and into the light. She looked at him with compassion in her eyes, for she could see that he was nervous if not a little bit frightened.
She smiled and nodded.
"Aye, he is a good man; there is no need to fear him or anyone else."

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 2:24 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

His dark eyes snapped, "There is always need to fear someone."

A tinge of relief went through him. If anyone besides a former servant would know about a man, it was a lady. Lwelyn took a deep breath.

"Thank you, Miss."

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 3:35 pm 
Ent
Ent

"Forgive, young sir. You are right. For even I have someone I fear."
Mariel took a step towards him and spoke in a hushed voice.
"I know what it feels like to always be looking over your shoulder."

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 7:10 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

"I am not hunted," Lwelyn swallowed hard.

At least, he believed he wasn't hunted. The men of the South had no claim of ownership now that they were deafeated, did they? He quickly glanced over his shoulder, half expecting one of the cruel overseers to gallop up and drag him back into slavery.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 7:16 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel raised a brow as the young man glanced over his shoulder, then she glanced over to the bush where her bag was stored away and bit her lower lip as she thought.
If she gave him any money, he might be arrested for stealing, even though it was she who did the thieving. She sighed then glanced back up at the young man. He looked hungry, and tired. She wanted to help him, but she didn't want to endanger him either.
"May I ask why you inquired of Durian?"

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 7:45 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

May I ask why you inquire of Durian?"

Lwelyn looked back at her and fought to find the right words. Memories flashed before him of hiding among the horses, hiding from his previous master.

"He offered...offered me a job," he said slowly.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 7:54 pm 
Ent
Ent

"Oh? Are you going to tend to his horse while he is away?"
She asked, her voice quiet in case the Rangers inside heard. She then sighed and smiled at him.
"I don't mean to pry, but....have you eaten yet?"

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 8:09 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

"Aye," Lwelyn nodded.

At her next question he paused. He had eaten. The innkeeper had given him two meals.

"Aye, I ate last night and this morning at the charity of the innkeeper...but...I do not remember having that much in...a long time"

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 8:26 pm 
Ent
Ent

Relief washed over her as she heard him answer. She was glad that he was not going hungry, but from the sound of it, he had known hunger before.
"Good, I am glad of that. When Durian and I go off on our journey with this man here, I would like for you to eat freely. And if the Innkeeper asks for payment, tell her to put everything on Durians' tab. I'm sure he would be glad to take care of everything."
She smiled then paused for a moment as a thought ran through her mind.
"And, if you wouldn't mind...make sure that no one rummages around in that bush. Especially not any of the newcomers."
She nodded her head to the bush she spoke of, then added.
"I will pay you for your services."

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 9:49 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

The old man simply watched as most of the talk carried out. He nodded to Durian as he took his leave to finish up his business, then took a seat while he waited.

(I will start another thread for their adventure beyond the Inn. It win't be a long adventure, but it will keep it separate from the happenings at the Inn.)

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 10:52 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Lwelyn glanced at the bush then back at her. Watching the brush seemed too little a task for meals and payment.

"What else do you want?" He asked quietly, eyes flickering back to the ground again.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 11:20 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian went into the inn and found Caila sitting by the fire finishing a cup of coffee. Another empty cup sat there on the table. He looked around and saw that nobody was in the common room. He sat down next to Caila and said,

”I will be away for a time. I will need to leave my horse Stormer here. I may have the young man who was here care for him, but I ask that you watch her as well. The pay for my room can go toward the feed. Anyway, there are several men outside having a good look around. They will likely be in here shortly. I know one was a ranger like me. The rest I do not know about.”

Caila smiled and nodded. She was enjoying the rest while she could get one. Durian went to his room and got himself set with his blades and cloak and satchels and pouches. He was missing something though. Where did he leave it. After a search, he realised it had to be in Mariel’s room. He went to number 8 and pushed on the door, but it would not open. It was jammed. He heard noise inside and stood and listened. He jostled the door quickly and he heard something fall inside. He pushed the door open and found the chair toppled over and the window open. He looked around and saw that there had been no housekeeping as yet, and he dug about among the covers of the bed and found what he was looking for. He found something else too. He stowed the small piece of a parchment that had something scribbled on it into his pocket, and he secured the ring to a chani that had another on it. He put them in his pouch and secured it. He looked around one last time as he fingered the parchment piece in his pocket, sensing someone there. He finally turned and left, closing the door behind him.

It had been some time… since the Celebrant, that he was last on foot. He gave Caila a few old coins as he passed her taking the cups back to the bar. He gave her a nod and went out the door. He saw the old man ready to go, and Mariel talking with Lwelyn. He walked over to them…

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 4:15 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel looked at the boy with sadness in her eyes and compassion in her heart. How could anyone have told him to call them his 'master'. She sighed as she shook her head.
"There is nothing else that I need. You can relax and enjoy your stay here."
She smiled then looked up as Durian approached them. She took a few steps towards him and spoke.
"I hope you don't mind, but, I offered this young man here meals and payment as retribution for taking care of some things while we are away."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 30  Next