Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~ The Inn By The Side Of The Road ~
PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 9:59 pm 
Ent
Ent

The Healer looked up from the mans' burns and thought she detected a secret in his eyes and tone of voice.
"Forgive, me sire. It seems that you have gone through some trauma. I am not here to judge you or your past, I am here to help. That is my job and my calling, so you need not fear or feel that you have to reveal yourself to me. But, sire, I do need to know more about how you received these wounds. We could talk in the back room for more privacy, if you'd like."
Her eyes darted around the room, wondering who could help her move this man to the back room. Perhaps the shieldmaiden could assist her.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indrean and Mariel had been sitting in the back room, waiting for the healer to come back, but when she didn't, Mariel stood and excused herself. But Indrean stopped her with a word before she opened the door.
"I know who you are, miss. I'm sorry for your loss...he was a...a good man. Perhaps our meeting here is not in vain. Rest well."
Mariel tensed and fought tears at the mention of her deceased brother, but with a breath, she regained her composure and stepped out of the room, closing the door behind her.
As she walked out into the Common room, she saw that a rather intense looking warrior had come inside and was speaking with...a Ranger? That would make two here.
A sigh escaped her lips and she walked past the two and the healer-who was now tending to someone else-and opened the front door and stretched with her arms above her head. She held up two fingers in the air, and looked around for Durian, hoping he could see her.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 1:39 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Finally getting her head clear, Dawn took a breath and realized she had not been doing her job very well. She also knew that it was likely trouble wouldt find here, and she could not depend on Indrean to be around. Putting on a dress Caila had given her, she cleaned up and paused before leaving her room. ‘You need to do much better Dawn’ she thought to herself, and after adjusting the dress, she opened the door and came downstairs.
There were new people all around. The boy was still there, but another man seemed injured. She thought she recognized the woman from Bree tending to the man, but also saw a woman who seemed rather fierce. As Dawn approached the bar, she heard talk of a knife for sale, and she knew she needed to arm herself if she was to survive in these lands on her own. She was about to offer the price she gave to the Ranger Hilferin, but she went running out the door. She stepped up next to Halferin and said softly,
“I am in need of a knife. I will pay her for that one.”
Hilferin looked at her surprised. The barmaid had that kind of coin? He looked at her and was going to ask her something, but Caila dropped a bucket in front of her and said,
“Go out and get some fresh water from the well. The young boy seemed to have disappeared, and with these wounded people around, we will need it. After that, you can cut up some vegetables for some stew.”
Dawn sighed and nodded, taking the bucket and heading to the kitchen to go out the back where the well was. She had to jump back as a boy went running by followed by a fierce horse, followed by the woman who had ran out the door.
(OOC I am sorry to have let this drop for so long. Hope to stay active here.)

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 8:15 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Watching Freja run out the door leaving her knife on the bar, Hilferin said to Caila,

”Give the shieldmaiden a fill of the good stuff from the Shire, not that foamy bitter Fernybrau from Bree. I’m sure she will be thirsty when she returns. Get me one too.”

Hilferin said. Caila gave a nod and tapped two flagons from the keg on the shelf on the back wall. He jumped when the serving wench stepped up next to him asking about the knife for sale. Hilferin said,

”Yes lass, forty silver coins and it’s yours.”

But Caila was not going to have any of her maid flirting about with rangers and immediately handed her a bucket and telling her to get to work. Sipping his fresh ale, he eyed the knife she left there, and considered the maid. There was something about her that didn’t fit right in this place. He would have to ask her later. Right now, he considered Freja Fireborn. Last time he remembered seeing her was at Darhias and Vorda’s wedding. They had never talked though. She seemed to him unapproachable, yet Berendil persisted. Oh well, he could buy the knofe for twenty and sell it for forty, he just had to get the maid to pay up. He sipped his ale and watched the blonde walk by and out the front door.

(Down the road from the inn)

Durian stepped through the bush by the creek as fast as he could. Being worried he wouldn’t get word to Mariel, he was probably a bit careless. He stepped on a loose rock and slid down into the creek, making a considerable splashing noise. He lay flat as he heard voices. He tried to listen over the noise of the trickling water around him, and hoped whoever it was didn’t see or hear him. He lifted himself from the water and lay in the mud beside the creek as one of then started talking…

”Hey Fahalas, why are you looking for your wife? Is she worth the trouble?”

“Yes, yes she is.”

“Why? I wouldn’t put that effort in unless the pay was good.”

The bounty hunter said. Fahalas answered,

”Because she ran off, I now owe a great debt to a guy that one doesn’t want to owe debts to.”

“Ah, so she stole all your money and ran?”

The bounty hunter asked. Fahalas said as he lifted his head to get a better view of the inn,

”No, she was the money. She thought she would only have to work for this guy for me, but maybe she found out I was actually selling her to him. How she found out I cannot guess. And there she is out front of the inn. And I think your target is out back buy the well. Hard to tell at this angle.”

The bounty hunter looked. He said,

”Could be a hard nut to crack with rangers in there, and that woman who is catching the horse looks tough. Maybe we should just keep a diligent watch.”

“That is fine for you, but I am well and truly late in paying, so I plan on being inside the inn tonight with my wife.”

Fahalas retorted and paused as he thought he heard something. Durian too heard something, just before a burning pain hit him in the shoulder. He reached back and pulled the arrow out, but someone jumped down and hit him with a rock and he fell face first into the creek.

With the noise and talk, Fahalas and the bounty hunter turned and scrambled down the bank to find Durian. They turned as Caira and her man stepped down the opposite bank of the creek. The man grabbed Durian by the hair and pulled his head up. Caira looked at his face, nodded and said,

”I knew he was around her somewhere if the blonde was here. Have you two found your marks?”

She said looking at Fahalas and the bounty hunter. Meanwhile, the man let Durian’s head fall back in the creek.

”Should I drown him? One less ranger we need to worry about." Caira shook her head and said,

”No, he could be useful. Lay him out, disarm him, and bind him. I think it’s time for me to go see how my sister is getting on with her inn. You two come with me.”

She looked at the bounty hunter and Fahalas, who stood up and brushed himself off and said,

”Gladly”

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 2:19 pm 
Ent
Ent

(OOC: Question... are Caira, Fahalas and the bounty hunter visible to Mariel? I assume they are not, but I just wanted to double check.)

After Mariel had left, Indrean decided that it was best if he stay with the boy, at least until the healer came back. But as he paced the room, he thought he heard Dawns' voice inquiring about....a dagger? His brows pulled together in concern, even as he heard the owner give her some tasks.
"What would she need with a knife?"
The answer-although obvious-baffled him a bit. He had sworn to protect her, and now she felt the need to purchase a weapon? A sigh escaped his lips and he paced the room some more, wondering when the healer would return. He needed to go to Bree and take care of Dawn's accusers before word got out about what she had done....or, well before anyone else found out who she was.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 6:08 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

The burnt man saw the healer's eyes dart back and forth and an immediate response of anxiety filled his eyes. He too looked about, though more frantically. He trained his eyes back to the healer then, seeming to size her up.

"Uh..." He nodded to the healer's suggestion, though clearly uncertain. Though his burns we're bad and under each was a large bruise that seemed a form of an impact wound, he grunted and stood to his feet.
"I'll follow, if there is somewhere more private."

His face contorted in pain with every step, though he hid most of it. "Kayden," he said randomly as he took a few more steps. "The name is Kayden Slade. Thank you for your concern, ma'am."

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 6:42 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

(OOC: Mariel likely could see the three coming toward the inn as she is looking about for Durian)

Fahalas kept his eyes on Mariel who turned and saw them coming. The bounty hunter asked Ciara,

"So we just walk in the front door like we own the place?"

"I do own the place... with my sister. Fahalas, you may have to chase down your wife though."

Caira replied as she eyed Mariel backing away.

Last edited by Hanasian on November 22nd, 2017, 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 6:56 pm 
Ent
Ent

(OOC: Great! I hope your ready for a chase! :D)

The healer stood up and gathered more of her supplies then turned and led him back down the hallway towards the room in the back. She turned her head as he spoke suddenly, then smiled at what he called her.
"It's nice to meet you Kayden...but please, ma'am is my mother. You can call me Lyiana, or Ana if you wish." She knocked on the last door before opening it and ushering Kayden in.
"You can sit in one of those chairs, or if you'd be more comfortable, I could ask one of the barmaids to bring a bedroll for you."
She paused then closed the door and gestured to the chair.
"Regardless of what you want, though I am going to need to inspect your wounds a bit more. Are you wounded anywhere else?"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mariels' stomach dropped and her face flushed of color at who she saw walking towards the Inn.
"How did you find me?" She muttered to herself as she backed away into the Common Room.
Once inside, she turned and ran through the Common Room and down the hall, then snaked through the back door and headed for the stables.
Her mind raced with different thoughts as she wondered what happened to Durian and how her husband could have found her out here.
When she opened the stable door, all the horses were gone, save for a small pony.
That would have to do.
She glanced over her shoulder and saw him running towards her. Her eyes widened in fear and she quickly mounted the pony, held onto his mane and spurred him out of the stables towards the opposite direction.
But she paused and turned the pony back.
Durian might be out there with them....he may be injured...or...worse. Her breath caught in her throat at this terrible thought and she shook her head.
"I will come back for you, Durian. Just wait."
She muttered before nudging the pony onwards.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 10:04 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

“Ah,” Kayden grunted in pain as he limped along. He chuckled when Lyiana introduced herself. “Well, if I have learned anything of women, it is to never equate them to their mothers. You wont hear another ma’am from me.”

They made it into the room and he nodded as Lyiana offered him the chair. “No... no bed roll. The chair will do fine,” he told her. He sat down slowly and eased himself against the back of the chair. He sighed in reliefe once sitting.

He sighed again as Lyiana asked about his wounds. “I’m afraid they put a good beating on me. They, uh, had... torches.” Kayden squinted and took a deep, painful breath. “I don’t recal how many there were. Maybe ten... maybe more, I don’t know. The burns are just the surface. I’m afraid I will have extensive bruising and possibly a cracked rib, but my leg and arm... they are the worst.”

Upon further inspection it became clear that Kayden’s wounds were more than he let on. As Lyiana inspected his injuries he watched and for a moment his face broke into a smile, then it quickly vanished.

“You know... the first girl I ever loved was named Lyiana. I would never belittle such a beautiful name by shortening it to Ana.” For a few seconds he cast a steady gaze at Lyiana, but then his eyes changed. He seemed to look right through her. He scoffed and shook his head. “She never loved me back, mind you... but...” his words trailed off.

Kayden set a stalwart look upon his face and his demeanor changed. “My apologies for rambling, ma’am... uh, Lyiana. Sorry.”

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 10:38 pm 
Elf
Elf

Freja considered the man left bound by the creek. The three responsible for it, as near she could guess, had just left him trussed there. Seemed like a waste of a perfectly good arrow to her, the one in question lying nearby to the unconscious man. Why shoot him and leave him, alive. Or, if they hadn't shot him at all, why leave him without aid?

The Shieldmaiden shook her head, for the longer she spent in Arnor the less she understood this land and those within it. She turned to where Béma waited, suitably remorseful for his earlier stunt at the inn. The boy she had dispatched inside with the last of her precious wax. If he sold it instead of tending to the equipment she had left there, she'd pin his ears to the stable doors for him. Just for starters.

Rolling her shoulders, her armour creaking with the motion, Freja crouched and set to dragging the man away from the creek. An unconscious adult was always heavy, man or woman, with all that dead weight bearing down on you. Still, she had pulled more than a few injured sisters from the field in her day and this was no different. Was not long before she got the fellow loaded onto Béma, who snorted with a kind of indignation at being put to such a use. Freja eyed him, having already chased him through these trees, and he quietened again.

Then she considered the man on her horse. If he fell off, he'd break his neck and then they would blame her for that. That would never do and so Freja set to loosely securing his arms around Béma's neck. Then, with a nod of satisfaction, she made off for the inn again. There was a healer there that might be of use provided the man didn't bleed out all over her horse (Béma was going to get a bath before her at this rate). What is more, there were three people she very much wanted a word with. One had the unsavoury look of a bounty hunter to her. A particularly vicious sort of blackguard, those.

Béma followed along at her shoulder, towering over her despite her height, the model of perfect equine behaviour now.

"If I've lost a job because of you," she gruffly told him, "Then you've only yourself to blame when next you want a carrot or apple."

A hot bath, a hot meal and a warm place to sleep is all she had come here for. Not necessarily in that order. At this rate, each seemed even more remote than ever before.

Meanwhile, back at the inn, Lochared peered up at the Ranger at the bar.

"Six coppers," he said, holding up the wax the shieldmaiden had given him.

Rohirric wax was valuable indeed. Better than bees wax and lanolin combined, the secret jealously guarded, Lochared knew he was onto a good thing when the Shieldmaiden had tossed it at him and told him to go tend her equipment.

The Ranger, he thought his name was Hilferin, eyed Lochared a moment.

"She'll tan your hide for you if she catches you selling that," he observed and Lochared peered to the door, for there was no telling when the Shieldmaiden would return.

"Five coppers," he amended, looking back to the Ranger and then decided to act on a sudden inspiration, "She told me she wants you to have it. Said you have a...cocky grin."

The man's brows raised and so Lochared added in a rush, "I think she meant that as a compliment."

"Indeed,"
the man observed, still he set to fishing about in a coin purse dangling from his belt.

The fact that it did told him that his sister had not been through the common room recently. If she had, there'd be a good number of coin purses and other valuables missing.

As the Ranger retrieve his coins, Lochared held his free hand up to just below his shoulder, "Have you seen a girl about this tall?"

"No,"
Hilferin answered, collected up the wax and replaced it with five coppers.

Loch pocketed the money in a flash and set about wondering where Rin was. If not out here, then perhaps in the kitchen gorging herself on cheese or picking her way through the rooms looking for valuables. He nodded at the Ranger, flashed him a crooked grin and scarpered for the door again.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 8:44 pm 
Ent
Ent

Lyiana's heart ached as Kayden spoke of what happened....or of what he remembered. How could anyone hurt someone like this?
She blinked quickly and tried not to cringe as she was finally able to inspect his arm. He looked awful.
His arm looked as though it had been burned and as she lifted his arm, she realized that it was broken...in a few places. She tried to remain emotionless and calm, but inside she was burning with anger.
No one deserved this kind of treatment.
Her intense focus was rattled however as she caught him looking into her eyes. Her hand hovered over his arm as he relayed the story of his first love, but when he snapped out of his revere, she couldn't help but smile softly.
"It is alright, Kayden....I do not mind your rambling at all. I find that it helps my...patients as I tend to their wounds."
She glanced down quickly and shook her head slightly.
Why did she say that? Could she be any more awkward?
After a few long moments, she looked up at him again as she reached for her bag.
"What I meant to say was that...it's okay for you to ramble. I...I don't often get to hear about other people's lives or...their past really...because as soon as they are healed, they leave." She paused, realizing that now she was the one who was rambling.
"Forgive me, Kayden. Now I am rambling...."
She quickly lowered her gaze to her bag and rummaged through it, until she found some clean cloth, a long, slim piece of wood, and some ointment for his burns. After placing everything to the side, Ana began to administer the ointment on his burns, then she wiped her hands and grabbed the wood and cloth.
"I...I will need to put your arm in a splint..." She rose onto her knees, but before she began, she lifted her eyes to meet his.
"I'm sorry, but...this...this may hurt."

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 9:12 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Kayden almost looked puzzled as Lyiana told him that she didn’t mind his ramblings. He had a contemplative look as she continued to tend to his wounds, almost ignoring the pain completely. She then continued speaking, finishing up with her own appology for rambling.

Kayden nodded, still a distant look in his eyes. “It seems like you and I have a few things in common. Beaides the rambling.” It wasn’t evident whether he was making a joke or being serious. “Neither of us have had the luxury of having friends... or anything more. Take my advice... whatever is standing in your way, get rid of it.”

She continued with his wounds and prepared what looked like a splint. Had his arm broken? He guessed he hadn’t noticed. As Lyiana warned him about the oncoming pain he just frowned and shook his head.

“I’ never been a smart man... or a smart boy when I was young. I never was much good at much. One thing, if anything, I am good at is pain.” He shook his head again and reached to his broken arm with his good one. With a yank and a gentle twist he unexpectedly set his own arm strait, the bones lining up as he bare his teeth and wrinkled his nose, though remained silent. “I hate it... but pain is one thing I can do.” He looked Lyiana in the eye. “It’s not the first time I’ve had to do that.”

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 9:26 pm 
Ent
Ent

(OOC: Wow....I was definitely not expecting him to do that. Well then!)

Lyiana's eyes widened as she watched Kayden set his own arm straight; when she finally looked up, her breath caught in her throat at the intensity in his eyes.
"I...I don't....forgive me if this seems like an outlandish question, but...what are you?"

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 10:18 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

(OOC: lol Well, working his backstory into things. ;) It will make semse once the details come out.)

Kayden sighed and rest his head back in the chair. “A monster,” he replied coldly. A moment later he opened his eyes and looked at Lyiana’s wide-eyes expression. He decided he should clarify, lest she take him literally. “I’m a fighter,” he explained. “Been fighting for the past six years.” He inhaled deeply before adding. “I came out here in the middle of nowhere hoping to get away from that life.”

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 10:42 pm 
Ent
Ent

Lyiana looked at him with fear in her eyes, but once he revealed who he was, her expression softened and she looked at him with sympathy.
"I'm so sorry." She lowered her gaze to his ribs and wondered what he had done to fix himself in the past.
"May I look at your abdomen?" She lifted her gaze to his and hoped that he would see a friend in her. It was then that she realized just how forward her request may have seemed, so she blinked and cleared her throat.
"I...forgive me, but I...I would like to inspect your wounds there...you said your rib was...broken?"

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 10:52 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Kayden nodded to Lyiana’s condolences, then looked down at her request. He felt her awkward emotions as she stuttered and would have sworn he heard her heart quicken in pace. A moment of retrospect, however, and he relaized it was in fact his own. At that very thought his heart was silenced to a low rythmatic pullsing even ower than a normal heart.

“It’s uh... got a lot of-of marks,” he told her as he unbuttoned his shirt. “And I think the rib is cracked, but you’re a better judge of that than myself. I’l leave the doctoring to you.”

As he left his shirt open he revealed numerouse scarrs, some of which looked like they could have nearly cost him his life.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 5:14 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

(OOC – :huh: … a bit confused … had the healer’s name as Aleana. Now it’s Lyiana. Maybe I missed something? Oh well, don’t matter… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Durian was being jostled, and his head hurt. He opened his eyes to see he was moving… on a horse He moaned out,

”Where am I?”

He mumbled. He tried to focus but everything was a blur. He had to relax and focus and remember… yes, remember. Everything was jumbled and did not make sense. He tried again to focus on the woman who was leading such a mighty horse… it appeared they were going to an inn.

~ ~ ~

Hilferin debated what to say to the shieldmaiden when she finds out the boy sold her wax instead of using it. He didn’t want a fight with her, and he was out five coppers because he didn’t want the boy to suffer her wrath. He would deal with that after she returns. He picked up the woman’s knife and examined it. Good steel, well balanced, and sharp. Too good for a serving wench to carry under her skirt. He counted out the named price and set it on the bar and put the knife in his satchel. He retrieved his old Westernesse blade and sat it on the bar in place of it. Should the serving wench return with coin, he would sell her this one. He had won it in a Tonk game in Bree from a local, and it had no intrinsic value to him. But it was a sturdy blade of old, and it would suit that serving wench well. What was her name again? She said it while flirting with Indrean. Dawn, like a morning sunrise. Right, need to remember that.

He looked about the common room and realised he was the only one there other than Caila who looked over and shrugged slightly. Hilferin was ordered to keep an eye inside the inn, and that was what he was doing. He picked up the Westernesse knife and spun it. A solid knife. He let it fall and it stick into the bar. It was then the door opened and the shieldmaiden came in holding up a wounded man… Durian? He went rogue some time ago. What was he doing here now, and in such condition? He grabbed him and leaned him against the bar. Durian hgave him a hod in appreciation of the help. Hilferin looked at him close and said.

”Do you know who I am?”

“No.”

He mumbled. Caila looked at him and rolled his eyes. She said,

”Your room is clean, I think, if Dawn has done her job. Your girlfriend just went out the door a while ago. You look terrible may I say.”

Durian wasn’t sure what she was saying. He had a wife… Saranna. Was she here? Durian didn’t know what to think. His head just throbbed. He managed to turn to the woman who helped him in and say,

”I thank you for what you have done.”

He looked around at the inn. It seemed familiar, but wasn’t sure.

~ ~ ~

Fahalas saw Mariel running, and he said to Caira,

”I have to go, she saw me.”

Fahalas ran off toward the back of the inn and whistled for his horse. It came running, but not fast enough. He saw Mariel steal a pony from the stables and set off east down the road. She had a bit of a head start before Fahalas's horse got to him. He mounted up and started to ride off down the road

"Mariel! Stop! Please! Can we talk? Mariel!"

Fahalas called to her. He was hoping she would come to her senses and at least hear what he had to say.

Last edited by Hanasian on November 22nd, 2017, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 30  Next