Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~ The Inn By The Side Of The Road ~
PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 4:08 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian paused and smiled slightly as Marion looked at him, leaning against the door frame. Her arm stretched up the frame and she lay her head against her arm with a flirtatious smile on her face. Durian couldn’t help but notice the pale lilac silken gown clinging to her. Durian took the last couple steps toward her and said as he looked into her jade eyes that seemed to sparkle slightly.

”Lady Marion, you are looking relaxed. I had a mind to tap on your door and see if you wanted to have a nightcap with me. Looks like you caught me out.”

As she shifted slightly against the doorframe, the gown shimmered slightly as it adjusted to her movement. He could see it was made of the finest Haradian silk, seemingly sheer yet opaque. It would have cost a lot in Minas Tirith. His curiosity about how it came into her possession was a conversation that would have to wait.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 7:46 am 
Ent
Ent

"Could you believe, Sir Kurn, that I was just about to lay my head on the pillow and sleep? It's true! But then when I saw you, I felt something akin to a gust of cold wind wash over me, giving me just a tad more energy to stay awake."
Mariel smiled as she noticed that his eyes had caught the shimmer in her nightgown; she took advantage of his gaze and pushed herself off the doorframe then slowly knelt down and picked up the bottle and wine glasses and stood.
As she bent down to pick up the things, Durian must have taken a step closer towards her, for when she stood, her heart began to flutter at his sheer stature. He stood tall, and his arms, although covered in a white tunic were well shaped and muscular, as were his broad shoulders. His dark hair just covered his shoulders, and his beard was perfectly shaped and just full enough to cover his jaw, cheeks and upper lip. And his eyes....they were dark, but they held such a mischevious spark.
And yet, as she gazed into them, she thought she recognized a grief that she herself had grown to hide.
Mariel held up the bottle and glasses and shrugged her shoulder.
"Shall we?"
She then turned and walked back into her room, then set the items down on a small table in the corner by the door, then turned and leaned against the edge of said table and waited for him.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 8:24 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian didn’t let on that he noted she was chilled. He kept his eyes on her eyes even as his peripheral vision was working hard. He stood and watched her squat down to pick up the wine and glasses and walk from the door slowly, turning back to look at him. Durian stepped inside the room and let the door close behind him.

”We shall then.”

He said as he leaned against the door. Mariel pulled the cork and poured two measured glasses of wine. Durian walked slowly over to the table and she handed him a glass.

”To our chance meeting.”

He said and she nodded slightly. They tapped glasses and took a sip.

Durian wasn’t sure why he was so attracted to her. Was it the long blonde locks cascading down her back in large rolling curls that swayed as she walked, or the way she smiled and the look in her eyes? The small rope braid in her hair gave her a queenly look. She was indeed a beautiful woman. Durian swirled the wine slightly and sniffed it slightly. He was curious about her and what she was thinking. He tried to keep his eyes anchored, but when they drifted, he was sure he caught her eyes drifting as well.

”Are you sure I am not keeping you from a decent nights sleep Lady Marion?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 11:52 am 
Ent
Ent

Mariel took a long sip of her wine as she allowed her gaze to wander slightly. She too caught sight of his wandering eyes and couldn't help the amused smile that made it's way to her face.
She shook her head which caused her curls to bounce and the hair in front of her face sway slightly.
"No sir, you are actually assisting me. For they say that drinking wine before lying down helps to calm you and lull you into a deeper and more pleasant sleep."
She paused for a moment then swirled the red liquid around in her glass and brought it to her lips. After swallowing the wine, she continued.
"But from what I recall, you and your friend Derak didn't seem to mind keeping that from us." She referenced the other dancers who performed for Derak's stag night.
"So why are you so concerned about me now, then, if I may ask?"

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 6:08 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

The old man informed the two that he still had the last few windows to install into the inn before leaving. The earliest, he figured, would be mid day tomorrow.

He too, grew weary from a long day, however, and asked the sisters who owned the inn for a room. Once he got to his room he slumped down on the bed and sank into it.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 9:37 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian raised his eyebrow and smiled at Mariel as she sipped her wine. If he can assist the lady into a deeper and more pleasant sleep, he will do so. As to why he gave her comfort a thought now, he said,

”If memory serves me correctly, it didn’t seem you ladies were much interested in sleeping then. But that was then down there, and this is now right here. It was a different time and a different place. Here and now, Lady Marion, you appear to be a lady worthy of this consideration and I would not be an honourable man not to give it to you.”

Durian lifted his eyebrow as he sipped his wine, and a slight dizziness came over him. He steadied himself with his free hand on the table and the slight spin in his head subsided. He looked at Mariel and smiled and said,

"And you may ask anything of me."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 10:12 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel listened with genuine surprise at his answer; she had become so accustomed to dealing with drunken men that she was quite at a loss for words. Her brows creased together as she recalled those times and what they had called her, how they had promised to take care of her. But after a few nights of dancing, they would leave her to pick up the broken pieces of her heart.
Mariel's thoughts were interrupted as she watched him place a hand on the table and shake his head. She stood up and walked over to him, but before she could ask him if he was well, he spoke.
She let out a breath and smiled slightly, but she looked at him with concern in her green eyes.
"Alright-" She spoke, then raised her glass to her lips and took a few sips as her mind began to race with inquiries she wished to ask.
"First of all, I would like to know your name." She smiled, then tilted her glass towards him. "Your real name."

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 10:49 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian squinted his eye at Mariel as she stood before him. Her question was a fair one, but he was still not sure how much he could trust her. He downed the remains of the wine in his glass and sat it on the table. He had to determine if he should give her his real name, would she then discover his true reason for arriving at the inn. Risky, for he didn’t want anyone to get involved. But this woman, maybe she will not mind getting involved, especially if there is something in it for her. Mariel moved a bit closer to him as she tilted her head and widened her eyes, lifting her eyebrow slightly as she wondered if he would answer. Durian shrugged slightly as he decided. He said,

”I will ask if you will give me yours, for I know that Marion was a Silver Bark stage name. None of the women there used their real names. But that will be up to you as you did not say I could ask you anything."

he started to reach for her free hand but paused. He looked into her eyes and said,

"My name is Durian. I gave the innkeepers the name of Kurn.... I had my reasons.”

He watched Mariel’s face as she drained the last bit of wine from her glass. He could see she was mulling his words over in her mind.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 11:03 am 
Ent
Ent

After taking the last sip from her wine glass, Mariel placed it on the table and stared at his hands as she digested his words.
She could feel the tension behind his words, and although she wanted to dive into her questions and find the true reason of him being here, she felt that she needed to earn his trust.
"Yes, Marion was my stage name-" she spoke in a quiet, vulnerable tone as she looked up into his eyes. "-I took the name after I'd found out that..." her voice suddenly stopped and she lowered her gaze and took a breath. Although she had moved on, she felt as though her heart were breaking all over again. Mariel blinked, then tentatively met his gaze again and continued with false bravery.
"....well, let's just say that my husband found someone else to warm our bed with whilst I was away tending to my dying brother."
As she spoke, she could feel tears well up in her eyes and she cast Durian a small, pathetic smile as she saw the concern grow in his eyes. Lifting up a finger, she lifted her chin slightly, took a breath, then continued.
"My true name however, is Mariel, and you, sir Durian, may ask whatever you wish."
A flirtatious spark returned to her eyes as she smiled at him then took turned and poured them both another measured glass of wine.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 6:13 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

That moment Durian saw earlier in her eyes she revealed to him. Durian tensed at hearing of her husband. The twinkle had left her eyes for a moment, but her infectious smile slowly returned. He said as he touched her fingers while reaching for his wine glass. He let his hand linger as he said,

”Lady Mariel, a fool was he. I can see that you loved him and I see the hurt still lingers, even if buried. I am sorry.”

Mariel pulled her hand away and swallowed. Durian sensed there was more hurt inside her, but he didn’t want to have thoughts linger on the sadness of the past, even though he too had buried sorrows. It would take much more wine for him to talk of it. He captured her gaze and said,

”It feels good that we have removed our veils some. And I have many questions, but I will not burden our time with them. I will admit my curiosity wants to ask who you seek up here in this land.”

He recalled her saying she had her sights on someone. Her words could have been common room smoke screening, for she knew her way around inns and taverns. He watched her hand swirl the wine…

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 6:48 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

The old man slept soundly in his bed, a loud snoring sound being heard from his room almost as if it echoed down the hallways. It was a wonder he himself could sleep through it. If one were to brave the infernal sounds, however, and stand next to the sleeping man, they would hear he lightly whistled a constant melody in his sleep. Outside, once more, the rune markings glowed lightly yet once more. As they did another traveler passed by and saw the lantern on the porch of the inn. They thought to pass on by but the faint blue glow of the ruins caught their eye and they knew that this was the place.

---

A knock sounded on the inn door, seconds later accompanied by the sound of the hinges creaking. "Excuse me?" a gentle voice nearly whispered from the cracked doorway. "Is this inn open?"

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 7:39 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel felt his fingers graze and linger on hers as he spoke to her; and for a brief moment, she felt her heart flutter at his touch, but after he finished, she quickly drew her hand back to her side and swallowed nervously.
She was surprised by the weightlessness in her stomach as he touched her, and although she did not want to admit it, she found herself wanting to be held by his strong arms. Perhaps it was just the wine. Or the loneliness inside of her. Mariel met his gaze once more and nodded then glanced down at the red liquid and swirled it around.
"Aye, I am glad that you decided to share this wine with me." As soon as the words were out of her mouth, she felt color rise to her cheeks and lowered her gaze. She hadn't meant to say that, but apparently her heart did. In an attempt to cover it up, Mariel continued in answering his question.
"I sir, am not running to someone but rather from someone..." She took a long sip of her wine, then rested the lip of her glass lightly on her chin as she stared past him for a brief moment. A twinkle in his eyes caught her attention and she turned her attention back to him.
"What of you? What brings you out this way?"

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 8:39 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

”Durien smiled and lifted his glass to her.

”I am glad you allowed me to share this wine with you.”

He said as he lowered his gaze to take in her beauty. His eyes returned to her face as she spoke of running. Would her husband be pursuing her? He pushed that thought aside and answered her,

”My home is north and west of here. I returned to my home on my way here for a time, but I found it had been burned along with the rest of the village. The nearby village was burned too. I found nobody alive.”

Durian’s eyes focused on a curl of her hair on her shoulder, the seam of her gown, and the pale skin of her arm. But his sight was far away to a time before the war and his answer to Halbarad’s call. Had he not gone, would it have been different? There was no answer to that. Mariel moved slightly and the ripple of her gown snapped Duriel out of it. He blinked his eyes and they were captivated by her wide green eyes. A look of concern was on her face. Durian cleared his throat and took a long swallow of the wine and said,

”Pardon me Lady Mariel. I lost myself in a memory. I have come here to this inn because I have suspicions. I ask your thought on something. Do you find it unusual that these two twin sisters claim to be from Rhuadur and have been deeded this land by the King?”

Durian took another drink of wine and allowed his hand to reach for Mariel and drew a curl of her hair up with his finger and set it gently behind her ear.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 9:04 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel tilted her head slightly and furrowed her brows as concern for this man filled her eyes. What he recounted to her was horrible, and she could only imagine the grief that he was going through, even if it was in the past. She wished to help him, for seeing the sadness in his eyes reminded her of the grief she'd held when she watched her brother die.
A heavy breath escaped her lips as she was brought back to the present by the sound of his deep voice, and his touch. She pressed her lips together and lowered her gaze as she felt a red color rise to her cheeks; after a brief moment, Mariel met his gaze again and answered him.
"Aye, I can understand where your suspicions lie, for I too wondered at their success in obtaining this land. What are your thoughts on the matter?"
She quickly took a long sip of wine, then blinked and rested her fingertips on the table next to her to steady herself.
How many glasses had she had already?

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 10:07 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian scratched his chin and drained his glass. He took the bottle and filled a measure and looked at Mariel.

”Help me finish this bottle and I will tell you what I think of this.”

He tilted the bottle toward her and she blinked her shiny green eyes and held her glass reluctantly out. His wavering hand on the bottle chased her wavering hand with the glass, and he splashed some into it. A few drops escaped the glass and ran down on Mariel’s hand. He dripped the rest into his glass, leaving the silt on the bottle as he set it down. He turned to Mariel who was holding on to the table with her free hand. Durian said with a slight slur to his voice,

”I will tell you why I gave a false name to them, for there is a chance that one or both of the sisters may possibly recognize my name. You see… While I was in Rhuadur ere a week ago in search of…”

Durian paused with the recent memory. He swallowed and leaned into the table, knocking it back and he lost his balance. Mariel quickly grabbed Durian’s hand and drew him back from falling, and they both staggered away from the table before they stood straight again. He held her hand and they looked at each other, and Durian looked at her hand on the wine glass, andhle looked at his hand on his wine glass, and he laughed. Mariel smiled and giggled slightly as well. He said,

”We managed all that without either of us spilling a drop.”

Durian let his laugh fade and his smile as well. He said,

”I have come by some information about these twin sisters. It could possibly be of use. All is not what it may seem. Would you like to sit down m’lady? You may be interested in a proposal I am thinking of making to you.”

~ ~ ~ ~

Caira waved goodnight to the glazier and eventually got around to cleaning the table he and the man and the woman sat at. She picked up the empty glasses, plates, and the pitcher of water all the while wondering where her sister disappeared to. When the door creaked behind her, she turned quickly, spilling water on herself.

’Excuse me, is this open?”

She let out a breath and smiled at the traveller,

’Yes! Yes we are open! It is late and you must be weary. Come in please!”

Caira walked by in front of them, setting the arm full of dishes down behind the bar. She thought of toweling her tunic off, but it was too late. The water had soaked in. She leaned on the bar and said,

Will you be staying the night, or just looking for food and drink?”

Caira watched as the traveller looked around the empty common room.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 10:40 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel hardly knew what was happening, for the wine was beginning to make everything slow down. As she held out her glass, she blinked then raised a brow as she felt a trickle of wine run down her hand, but she ignored it and took a sip of her drink as she listened to Durian.
Once she lowered her glass, she saw that he was stumbling back, so she reached out and grabbed his free hand and began to pull him back towards her. As she stepped behind her, she tripped on the train of her nightgown and stumbled back, all with Durian in tow.
As the two regained balance, Mariel followed his eyes to each of their wine bearing hands and giggled. But her smile soon faded at the tone of his voice, so she took another sip and nodded, then led him to the bed and sat on the edge of it.
Once he sat, Mariel began to accept the fact that she was very attracted to this man. He seemed to be adventurous and was quite a flirt, but she also thought she saw a gentility and honor within him. She smiled and nodded, and as she spoke, pieces of her words began to slur.
"Please, do share this...proposal with me....I am very interested in you..I mean...in your theories..."
Mariel blushed as she caught her own words, but she continued to look at him with a small smile on her face.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 30  Next