Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~ The Inn By The Side Of The Road ~
PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 5:03 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dawn was sure whoever entered the room could hear her breath. She did not get a chance to get out of the window and was barely able to get under the bed. When she squeezed out and stood, she realized she had lost the note. Who got it? She only saw boots... boots like those rangers wear. She was going to have to quit running scared. She dusted herself off and slowly went down stairs. Thankfully, nobody was in there but Caila. Dawn stepped up to the bar and said,
"I am ready to work. What would you like me to do?
Caila looked at her and thought for a moment before handing her a broom.
"Sweep."
She said and went back into the kitchen. She then said loudly from the kitchen,
"And greet anyone who may come in."

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 6:59 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

As if directly reaponding to Dawn's instructions to greet anyone who came in, the door opened and in walked a rugged looking man. A soldier and adventurer by the looks of him. His skin was dark and so were his eyes and hair.

He looked about to see who was running the place. Dawn, being as she was sweeping and so obviously part of the establishment, caught his gaze.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 10:24 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Lwelyn didn't trust there would be more she would want later, but he didn't press. She walked away and he wandered to the stables. He found the mare he was to tend and smiled quietly at her. Finding a brush, he entered the stall. Speaking calmly, he began to brush her.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 7:04 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian only had to say goodbye to Stormer and was ready to set out. He smiled at Marie as she spoke, and he said,

"That is good Mari..on. Lwelyn will earn his pay. he is already tending to her."

He walked over and gave Stormer a rub and made sure she was settled with Lwelyn. He turned to him and said,

"You keep her cared for and let her walk some, and I'll be back in a few days. And yes, its ok to stay at the inn. I'll settle up with Caila when I return."

He gave him a nod and gave Stormer another pat and he walked back to where the glazier was sitting.

Meanwhile, the men who had come had dismounted their horses and they were heading inside the inn. Durian looked at some of them, and not all of them were from around here. He hesitated for a moment, but then stretched. He was ready to walk.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 7:37 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel smiled at Durian as he approached, then she nodded and turned to help the old man stand up.
"Well sir, I believe we mean to follow you to the ruins! Lead the way!"

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 7:41 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dawn froze for a moment when the door opened and a rugged man entered. He looked like he had come from some distant land. Once her nerves settled, she smiled at him and said,
"Mae govannen mellon! Welcome to the Inn!"
Dawn pushed the dirt and fuzz to a pile by the wall and rested the broom against it. She looked again at the man and asked,
"May you find your time here pleasant and comfortable! Is there anything I can get for your kind sir?"
Dawn looked for a moment at the window and saw some others dismounting from their horses. She swallowed, unsure what to expect. She was about to get a lesson on working at an inn, even though Marion had lied and said they worked together at a tavern. She looked again back at the man.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 6th, 2017, 9:10 pm 
Ent
Ent

The mysterious Ranger who had spoken to Mariel and Durian just outside was now dismounting his horse and tying the reigns to one of the posts just outside the door. As he reached for the handle, one of his fellow Rangers gave him a knowing glance, then spoke in a solmen and quiet voice.
"Do not forget, we must ask the Innkeeper if they have seen anything."
He nodded once then opened the door and entered the Common Room. Seeing a peg by the doorframe, Indrean removed his cotton cloak and hung it on the peg. As he turned around, he gave a half-smile to the woman in the yellow dress, then he took a seat next to the window.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2017, 1:29 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

The man nodded. "A drink of water and a small meal would be wonderful." He found himself a seat in the corner where he could watch the doors and windows.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2017, 7:55 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

The Dunedain Rangers had set out from Bree with a list of things to do. There was the case of the missing King's Messengers, and they had a late report of someone being knifed at the Prancing Pony the night before with the suspect fleeing east. There was also a rumor that a thief had come through and made their way east as well. Now all this was likely true and they, being the King’s men of the North, would have to investigate.

Some of this band of rangers had ridden south with Halbarad, and some had stayed in the north during the war. These men were the ones who were at the Prancing Pony when this call came. So they set out east in search of some vague suspects.
Having carefully searching the lands around the Forsaken, they descended on the inn. Malvagil, the ranking commander of the group, had arrived with a young ranger not far behind the rest. They had gone around to the east to check out some movement in the hills there. Malvagil asked as he dismounted,

”Who are the people leaving?”

“You need to ask Indrean, for he questioned them.”

Kaldil said as he fed his horse some oats. Malvagil looked around and Kaldil added,

”He has already gone inside.”

Malvagil looked at the disappearing figures in the distance north of the road and squinted. He thought one looked familiar, but at the distance he couldn’t be sure. Torn between riding after them or resting, he chose the rest. They were heading into harsh ground anyway and would not make good time. Right now, they would investigate the inn, for it was always an abandoned eyesore before, but now it was cleaned up and it even had windows. When they were all sorted, Malvagil led them into the inn. He could see Indrean settled in at a table. The maid was tending to someone, and he looked about for anyone else. Caila came out of the kitchen and saw all the men, and said,

”Hello and welcome! If you all are sitting together you can push the tables together in the middle of the room.”

Caila looked at each of them, and they looked about the inn as if they were looking for something specific. She wondered what trouble Caira may have gotten into that gave her a need to leave suddenly. She looked at Dawn who was serving the dark man some water, then back to the rangers. One went and sat down where another man had seated himself, and the rest started to mill about. Some finding tables and some going to stand at the bar. Caila then said,

’Dawn, see to the tables please. I’ll see to the bar."

She stepped behind the bar and leaned on it and smiled at the older ranger who looked like the commander and asked,

”So… what will you have, and how can I help you?”

Malvagil looked about the place as he noted the maid’s name. He was also admiring what Caila had done with the old inn. He said,

”We will have tea. And once it is served, I have some questions for you and your maid. Is there anyone else who works here?”

He eyed Caila as she turned to get cups ready and a big pot where she put some loose tea in. She said,

”Dawn, can you bring the hot water from the fire?”

Dawn went to the fire to get the water pot.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 7th, 2017, 9:28 pm 
Ent
Ent

Indrean watched the faces of the Innkeeper-Calia- and her maid-Dawn- as Malvagil-his superior officer- entered the Common Room. He noticed Dawn's slight stiffness as more of his fellow Rangers came pouring into the room.
As he studied her, he realized something was familiar about her. After a moment of going through the list of what could be familiar, he finally decided.
It was her dress.
He had seen the yellow dress before...but where?

PostPosted: April 8th, 2017, 4:17 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dawn tried to keep it all in her head. The dark gentleman wanted water and a meal, Caila wanted the hot water, several rangers have come in. She figured out how to get the pot off the hook with only a slight burnt finger. She lugged the iron pot to the bar and Caila took it and filled the large tea pot. Caila handed it back and looked at her, moving her eyes toward the fire. Dawn lugged the pot back and hooked it back over the fire.
She couldn't but notice that one of the rangers seemed to watch her as she crossed the room in both directions. Oh yes, she had to go and take orders from all the tables. She first went to the bar and said the dark man wanted some stew, and she poured a mug of water and walked it back to him.
"Here is your water sir. Some stew will be coming shortly."
Dawn went to the table of the man who had come in before the others. He was also the one that kept eyeing her. She straightened her dress and walked up to him and asked,
"What can I get you sir?"
She forced a smile as he looked her over.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 8th, 2017, 5:04 pm 
Ent
Ent

Indrean knew that he recognized that dress, and as the woman-Dawn-approached him, he couldn't help but look her over. When his gaze met hers, he smiled, but noted the strain with which she was smiling. He cleared his throat and shifted in his seat, then he nodded.
"Aye, I'll take some tea...."
He then spoke in a softer tone as he saw his Commander looking his way.
"And if you could add some liquor, I would pay you extra, for your troubles. And a bowl of stew, if you will."

PostPosted: April 9th, 2017, 7:03 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dawn nodded as she turned. The other tables wanted tea and stew as well. She went back to the kitchen and dished up several bowls of the stew, and put the order in for the tea cups which Caila poured. With the commander there and Caila talking ith him, it would be impossible to get anything to add the man’s tea. She set a tray with the tea cups and another with the stew bowls. She went about with the stew and served the tables, then served the tea, She set the cup down before the man and said in a low whisper,
“I’m sorry sir, I could not get anything stronger to add. Your commander was keeping a close eye on the tea cups and me.”
She would try to get something for him, but it wouldn’t be right away. He kept looking at her...Dawn asked,
"Is there something I should know about sir?"

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 9th, 2017, 4:30 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

The man thanked Dawm for the water and waited patiently for his food. Meanwhile yet another man came in. This gentlemam was elderly. Pure white hair, mustache and long beard past mid cheat. He walked straight up to the bar and called out. "Who here is running this place?"

PostPosted: April 10th, 2017, 10:22 am 
Ent
Ent

Indrean glanced down at the bowl of stew and the cup of tea as Dawn set it before him. He would eat well today. He looked up at Dawn as she whispered to him and let out a stifled chuckle.
"It's alright. Thank you though."
He smiled and dipped his head, but before turning to eat, his eyes traveled to her dress again then to her face. Where did he know that dress from? Was it......Marials...? No....
He blinked as he cleared his throat, then shook his head.
"Forgive me, miss. It's just....that dress you're wearing....it looks very familiar. Yet I do not recognize you."

PostPosted: April 10th, 2017, 9:20 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dawn paused and blushed as the ranger took notice of her and looked her over. At first a rush of worry cwme over her, but she was soon relieved that he didn't recognize her. She said,
"I only aquired this dress this morning sir. It was given to me by a friend who helped me when I was sick."
The ranger seemed to take even more interest as he heard her words. She then leaned toward him and said in a low voice,
"I'll see if I can get you something to sweeten your tea sir."
She turned and went to serve the dark man his stew and then went to the other tables where the rangers had sat. She approached each one coutiously as she served them their meals to see what their reaction would be. But it wasn't until she returned behind the bar with the empty trays that she noted the older ranger, the commander who had been talking to Caila, watch her closely. Dawn swallowed as she recognized him. She waited for one more cup of tea and she did not turn to look at him, but he did not take his eyes off the side of her face.
"Miss, you look familiar. Were you at the Prancing Pony last night?"
Dawn swallowed again. If she said yes, then she would surely be questioned. If she said no and he recognized her and knew she was, then she would be questioned and caught lying. She felt the heat come to her face as he stepped closer to her. Caila served up the last cup of tea and said before Dawn could say anything,
"Please don't bother my best maid. I need her, especially with your mob in here."
Dawn took his distraction as Caila stepped in front of him. Dawn took the tea and a small flat bottle that was on the back bar which she dropped into the pocket on the yellow dress. She brought the ranger by the window the fresh cup of tea, and she stood between his table and the bar where the commander and Caila were talking. It was then an old guy with a long beard wanting to know who ran the inn. Dawn dumped a fair splash of the distilled spirit into the mans tea and quickly put the bottle back in her pocket. When he looked up at her, she gave him a smile.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 30  Next