Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~ The Roadhouse ~
PostPosted: April 15th, 2017, 8:49 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian swallowed at Will's words. Kevetil was their father. What does he say to his children? The truth. Durian took just a small sip from the bucket and turned to face Will. Tali had walked back to the fire and was starting into it. But Durian spoke louder so she too could hear.

"You should know how he lived his last days first. When we took the ships of Umbar at Pelargir, he was the first to go down and comfort the slaves chained to the oars and terrified of the Dead. We unchained them, and partially from your fathers words, they grew determined and would man the oars freely in war. He commanded one of the ships as we came upriver, and when we hit the quays of Harlond, he armed the slaves with the weapons dropped by the defeated Umbarians. When we drove into the rear of the Mordor army, we pushed hard toward the gates of Minas Tirith. But our surprise would not last. Fighting became chaotic and the armies intermingled. I suffered a blow to the head and was stunned for a time as I fought on. When I started to remember again, the battle was for the most part over. Some few of my brethren and the former slaves of the boat had gathered and were resting. It was when Bereck came and said that he had found our dead."

Durian took the bucket in hand and started to walk toward the fire. Will followed the sound of his boots on the floorboards, and Durian stopped at a table midway across the room and set the bucket down. He turned and looked at Will who stood behind him, and then to Tali who still stared into the fire. He sat on the rickity stool and said as he looked down to the floorboards,

"I, along with Hanasian and Hilfiren, followed Bereck where we found Halbarad and Kevetil... your father. From the many dead Haradians, Khandese, Easterlings, and Orcs around them, the two must have battled long and hard together before succumbing to their many wounds."

Durian took a long drink as the memories of the fighting filled him. He looked grimly to Will and said,

"When the enemy threw in their reserves and the Easterling and Variags of Khand assaulted our spearheaded drive to the gates, they pushed us back toward Harlond. We finally were able to stem their tide and hold our ground, but the lines were mixed and confused. Halbarad and Kevetil got separated to the north and were cut off. Me, Mecaedan, Hanasian, Berendil, and Hilfiren got isolated toward the south where we finally stood with some de-horsed Rohirrim and a few Gondorian Rangers of Ithilien. Aragorn, the dwarf, and the three elves with some other Dunedain made for a high point in the middle where the Rohirrim and Eomer had come to defend when their charge was spent. I then was hit and remember little more. I was told I kept fighting."

Durian's head throbbed and he put his hand to the back right of his head. His hair that grew there was lighter and curlier than the rest of his dark mane. He took a large drink and drained the pail before dropping it to the table. He wiped his mouth with his sleeve and looked to the kitchen doorway where Deumea still stood, leaning against the frame. He saw Will make his way around him and go to his sister by the fire. Durian followed him slowly, coming to stand behind them both as they held hands, He said quietly,

"They were laid to rest in honour in the field at the base of the mountains with their Gondorian brethren. Bereck and I tended to his burial. Of the thirty, we lost two on the Field of Pelennor. Your father Kevetil and our captain, Halbarad. Later, Mecaedan fell in the battle of the Morannon before the gates of Mordor."

Durian placed a gently hand on both Will's and Tali's shoulder and gave them a light, comforting squeeze. He said,

"I am sorry. What of your mother? Kevetil spoke fondly of her, and of you. It was one night after we left Ringlo and were resting briefly. He spoke of his wife and children, and I spoke of... of my wife Saranna. Can you tell me what happened?"

Durian looked over their shoulders into the fire, thinking of their cabin burning with Saranna inside and wondering what horror these two had suffered.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 15th, 2017, 10:57 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

As she leaned against the door frame, she listened closely to Durian. When the name of Bereck was mentioned, she turned and faced Durian, leaning her back against the door frame. Do he lived through the battles. Her question now was where is he now? Why did he never return to her? She would have to ask Durian... after he eases the two siblings. She went back to search for something to drink....

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 15th, 2017, 11:02 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Will stood there a minute, trying to wrap his mind around his father's last days. Tali stared into the fire, tears running down her cheeks. He realized that his eyes were also wet.

"I am sorry. What of your mother? Kevetil spoke fondly of her, and of you. It was one night after we left Ringlo and were resting briefly. He spoke of his wife and children, and I spoke of... of my wife Saranna. Can you tell me what happened?"

Will felt around the floor with the toe of his boot not wanting to explain. Tali saved him this time. Her eyes never moved off the fire as she answered the Ranger.

"Enemies attacked our village. They were defeated, but our mother died when a burning house fell on her. She was trying to rescue a new mother and her baby. We would have stayed in the village, but no one...no one wanted..."

"A blind boy," Will finished. "Someone doomed to never work a farm or wield a weapon."

PostPosted: April 16th, 2017, 5:47 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Hearing the two weep for their father and weeping and speaking of their mother, Durian too felt his eyes water. He gave Will a squeeze on his shoulder and said,

”If only they knew what one who is deprived of one of their senses could do. I think you know more of me and Deumea there in the short time we have been here together than any who has sight would know.”

He watched the fire as the log shifted, sending a curtain of orange sparks up the chimney. The sound of the wind had tapered off, but the rain fell harder, and the incessant dripping through the roof had now become a pouring stream as other leaks started to find their way to the floor. A sizzle of steam arose from the edge of the fire as water had found its way down the stones of the chimney and started to hit the hot rocks around the mouth of the fireplace. Durian knelt down between Tali and Will, and said,

”Let us put more wood on this fire. It is the only thing that is taking this damp chill away this night.”

He grabbed two of the remaining logs and set then crosswise over the remains of the burning wood. They started to light right away. As they started to light the room brighter, he looked at the faces of first Tali, then to Will. Durian then thought of Kevetil, and thought the least he could do for him is to see to his children. Maybe they would want to go to Gondor and see where their father rests. He himself had nothing to live for. Wandering and drifting Rhuadur and the north, killing hillmen was no life and would not bring Saranna back to him. He sat on the floor in front of the fire and asked in a whisper,

”How old are you Tali, and you Will.”

There was silence but for the fire, and Will turned his head as Deumea started to approach them.

Last edited by Hanasian on April 19th, 2017, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 16th, 2017, 7:05 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Deumea went down into the underground chamber she had found. There she found several firkins of ale, and some bottles of wine. She climbed out with two bottles and a small keg, hoping the ladder didn’t break. She brought the good to the bar and looked at a bottle of the wine in the candle light. It looked sealed still, and the pop of the cork let out a heavy scent of grapes. She looked about and then looked at the flagon she had ale in, and tossed the remnants of the ale against the wall and poured a full measure of wine in it. She tried to restrain her anger, but it kept boiling up inside her. There had to be a good reason why Bereck returned not to the north… to her. She walked slowly over to the fire that blazed and took a seat at the nearby table. She said to Durian.
“Tell me Durian, you have mentioned Bereck. What became of him? You did not say he died. I wish to know, for he is my husband.”
Deumea took a drink of the wine and though it seemed smooth, it had fermented long and was strong. She looked at Durian with a squint of her eyes.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 16th, 2017, 11:10 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

The siblings considered Durian's question, and while they considered answering him, He turned to Deumeawyn who had sat down at the table with the remains of the food. Durian reached over and grabbed a slab of dried meat and took a bite. He said,

"Bereck I last seen in Minas Tirith. I think he joined up with Hanasian when he got his Free Company started. He didn't look like he was planning on coming north, and he had not even mentioned that he was married. I am sorry Deumeawyn. These were not the words you were looking to hear."

Durian sat back down on the floor by Tali and Will.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 17th, 2017, 3:36 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Deumea sat silently as she absorbed what Durian said of Bereck. So he used the call south to run out on her. She was willing to go with him as her fighting ability equaled his. But he refused her. She was clueless that his fine words about needing good fighters here in the north were a cover for him. The words were not wrong, for they could have used more here in the north to prevent the villages that these kids were from, or the place Durian had left his wife from getting sacked. She calmly sipped her wine, again and again. When she finished the glass, she said to nobody in particular, mostly to herself as she poured another one,
"Well, it appears I have a long ride ahead of me then. The rumor that he had come north and awaited me near Fornost was not true. I think I will pay a visit to Bree on my way south, and find the one who told me that. Come the morning light, I will go."
She drained the second glass in one tip, and silently poured herself a third...

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 17th, 2017, 5:14 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

”If only they knew what one who is deprived of one of their senses could do. I think you know more of me and Deumea there in the short time we have been here together than any who has sight would know.”

Will smiled and nudged his sister. Here was one who wasn't biased about the disabled. He could feel her smile through her tears. Will nodded quietly, already he had figured out their footsteps so he could recognize when the two moved.

”How old are you Tali, and you Will.”

Will was silent, waiting for Tali to reply, but she seemed preoccupied. After listening to Deumea speak, Will took the chance to answer Durian.

"I'm 17 sir," he said. "And Tali is 18."

PostPosted: April 19th, 2017, 2:55 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dauwna drank the wine and it started to take the edge off her anger. She softened as she heard Will give their ages. She started to think back to when she was 18, only ten years ago. She first met Bereck then. She closed her eyes and drank down the third glass. Dauwna The asked while she kept her eyes closed,
"What do you like to do Will? Durian is right. There is much in this land that you could do, and you would be very good at whatever you put your mind to doing."
She held her flagon even though it was empty.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 19th, 2017, 4:23 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian nodded as Will gave their ages, and he nodded again as Deumea spoke. It was saddening that the ones who knew their mother and father would not help them. He said to Tali,

"M'lady, you look out for your brother well. And He looks out for you. You two seem quite close. Before the war and death, you must have been a happy family."

She thought about his words and he looked to Will, then Durian said,

"How would you two like to stick with me. You won't have to wander the wild alone and maybe we can go and see that your mother rests in honour and all. Maybe even go to Gondor and see where you're father rests. It will be your choice of course."

Durian gave Tali a smile and Will a light pat on the shoulder. Maybe if they wanted to, they could leave with Deumea for Bree as soon as the weather settled.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 21st, 2017, 11:40 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

What would he like to do? No one had asked that of him before and Will hesitated. He didn't know much of anything.

"I don't know," he said. "I don't know if there is anything I can do."

Tali smiled at the Ranger and glanced at her brother. He was her little brother and no matter how much he irritated her at times she would always protect him.

"Thank you sir, we were very happy," she sighed.

Will felt his heart leap at Durian's suggestion. Go with him? They already knew their mother rested in peace, but to go to their father's grave? Travel beyond the wild with no fear? He felt Tali's hesitation and understood, but they could trust Durian, he felt it.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2017, 7:55 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"I don't know how good of company I will be. My mood has darkened some with the news of Bereck. But should you wish to ride with me to Bree, I would not mind."
Dauwna set her flagon down and rested her forehead on her hand, then crossed her arms on the table and lay her head down as she looked at the fire. She said.
"I don't know what I would do should I find him. I guess I will have a long time to think about it"
Dauwna's eyes started to tear up ad she turned her face into her arms and started to sob as the pain in her heart continued to well up through the intoxication of the wine.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 24th, 2017, 2:38 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian watched the fire and nodded. He said as he continued to stare into the fire,

"Yes, Bree. I think we could go with you at least that far. There I can provision for the long journey south to Minas Tirith should Tali and Will wish to go there with me."

He looked over at Tali, then to Will. They were together close deep in thought and whispering. Durian turned back to the fire and said,

"Either way, I will look out for these children of Kevetil whether we go or stay."

He turned and looked again at Tali and said,

"I suppose I will know when we leave whether you will come with me or remain on your own in the wild."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 30th, 2017, 6:02 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

"I'll guard you," Will promised solemnly.

"Thanks," Tali smiled at him.

"I suppose I will know when we leave whether you will come with me or remain on your own in the wild."

"We will go with you," Tali nodded. "We want to see where our father lies."

PostPosted: April 30th, 2017, 10:03 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian nodded and gave Tali a smile. He said,

"It is a long way and it will take us many days to get there, but if we leave tomorrow morn and take a rest in Bree to fit out for the journey, we could be there in time for the Midsummer Festival if all goes well on the road."

Durian would have to see that they got some good clothes suited for travel. The time in the wild had taken a toll on them. He turned to Deumea and said to her and Tali and Will,

"As we go in the morn, we should try and get some sleep. The rain hopefully will pass by then. Even now the wind has subsided."

Durian stood and went to see if an y of the rooms were habitable. They weren't, for the roof had long ago collapsed and all was open to the skies. What comfort they hoped to get would have to be found there in the common room. He returned and put two more logs in the fire. He pulled his bedroll out and handed it to Tali. He said,

"Try and get comfortable if you can."

Durian sat in a chair and put his feet on the hearth as the fire started to burn the fresh logs.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 12th, 2017, 7:47 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dauwna's dreams were broken and vivid. She had found Bereck in Harlond on the Anduin and they argued. Swords were drawn and they fought there on the quay. She landed a blow, but so did he. She fell into the river....
It was water leaking through the roof during an especially hard downpour in the night, hitting the table and splashing her. She sat up in the chair and realized she had been getting wet for some time. She wasn't sure when she fell asleep. She looked about the dim room glowing orange with embers and the last bit of flame from the end of a log. She stood and went over to the fire where she saw Tali and Will laying under a blanket in front of the hearth. Durian sat to the side on the hearth leaning against the stones appearing asleep. But Dauwna knew that Rangers even while asleep are alert. She managed to get the last two logs and get them on the fire when the sound of the rain seemed to change. It didn't stop, but it tapered back to just a steady fall. She freed her wet hair and pushed her dark stringy locks back over her shoulders and sat in front of the growing flames. She looked at Will and Tali asleep. They must have felt somewhat safe here, for they had been sleeping rough for some time she suspected from what they had said.
"Rest well young ones."
She whispered to herself. Young ones. She was only ten years older than Will. She she was such a fool. She was in love with Bereck, but now... she looked over at Durian who had yet to move, sighed, and closed her eyes. When she opened them again, there was a dim grey light starting to crawl through the cracks and holes of the roadhouse, and the sound of the dripping was now louder than the rain itself. Morning had come....

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next