Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ~Adventures From The Roadhouse ~
PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 9:10 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

(OOC - This was going to be a re-boot of the deserted Forsaken Inn thread but it didn't really fit into that story. So I'll use it for another place)

This RP is Tolkien's Middle Earth and it's the first year of the 4th Age. Join if you feel so inclined.

Fifty Miles North of Bree on the Old North Road

The inn looked deserted as he rode up to the door. The rain fell steadily and the wind made the weather-worn sign swing awkwardly from one of its two hooks. The other had rusted and broke. He dismounted and gave his horse a pat as he stepped on the porch. He reached up and stopped the sign from moving as he tried to read the weather-worn words. The Roadhouse was all he could make out of it. He turned to the large oak doors. One was ajar just enough to be able to squeeze inside. The hinges were rusty, but with a bit of a push, the door squeaked closed. Inside was dusty, as if it was simply abandoned by the proprietor. He walked over to the bar and looked at the dust. He could hear the water dripping onto the old well-worn wood floor near the fireplace, and so he pulled his flint out and used his knife to kindle a candle that was laying there on his side. The dim light flickered to life and he considered lighting some of the other candles. After getting a few to burn, he decided to light a fire to take the damp chill away from the place. There was still wood piled by the hearth, and even though some was dry-rotted, it worked to get a flame to grow. Yes, he would stay here, at least until the rain passed.

Once the fire was burning hard with the kindling, he used a few small logs to cover it, and he went outside to tend to his horse. He led her around back to the decrepit stable, but he deemed it safe enough for her to shelter in, for the rain was not going to let up any time soon. She settled in to the old hay and he gave her a brush to allow the water wash her some.

”I will be back soon missy.”

He said as he gave her some oats he carried. He needed to get to Bree and re-supply soon. After the rain stops. He went in where the fire he had made was attempting to warm the place. He sat down by it and watched the flickering flame.

The constant drip of the rain leaking in echoed through the empty inn, and Durian leaned back against the beam by the window. The old oak whispered to him, hinting at many stories. There were strong Arnorian soldiers arguing over the impending division of Arnor, to relationships made and broken, to plots and plans of good and ill, to death and blood, to intense love and feelings.

Durian felt their whispers, and he turned and slowly reached for the oak beam. A vision flashed in his mind when he set his hand on it. A fair maiden moving about the wood, her long raven hair swaying and wrapping about her. She turned and looked at him and smiled... Durian let go of the beam and blinked his eyes. He had a bard time gaining his breath and he set back down on the hearth. He felt strange, and though it was only a moment, it seared itself into him. He again stood and stepped over to the beam where he saw a slight glow. There on the beam was carved finely as if an Elven craftsman had worked it, a heart with the names Halrohir and Lonannuniel. His fingers came up to it but hesitated. He touched the name Halrohir and saw a brief vision of a handsome Dunedain ranger. When he moved his finger to the name Lonannuniel, a beautiful Elf maiden flashed in his mind. But she was not the same as the one he had seen earlier. When he placed his finger on the heart, he saw the two people very much in love getting married. He retreated his hand from it and could see the glow where he had touched it had faded some.

He stared at it for a time until a loud pop from the fire broke his thoughts. An orange ember out and it bounced across the floor. Durian quickly stepped over and ground it out with his boot. With his movement away from the beam, the visions faded in intensity in his mind and only became a vague memory. He decided to rummage around behind the bar to see if there was anything drinkable. There were a few bottles of wine still sealed, and a firkin of ale that seemed to have not leaked. He pounded the tap into it and tried some of it. A heavy stout, smooth and very well aged. He looked for a tankard and found one that was not broken and it was turned upside down. He tipped the firkin to fill it.

"This will do nicely."

he said and walked back over by the fire. He sat on the hearth and leaned his back against the stones to the side of the fire. Sipping his ale, he sat and listened to the rain on the roof and the leak and its continuous dripping , along with the sound of the fire next to him..

Last edited by Hanasian on October 13th, 2017, 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: ~ The Roadhouse ~
PostPosted: April 1st, 2017, 8:52 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The old inn looked deserted from afar. Dauwna rode slower now, wary of anything that moved around her. The rain made everything look gray and drab, and she couldn’t tell if anyone or anything was watching her. All she could hear was the incessant rain falling. As she approached the inn, she could see smoke coming from the chimney. Maybe she would find shelter and a warm meal here! When she rode away from the Forsaken Inn as fast as she could, her only direction was north. There were no sign of her pursuers now, so she pulled up her horse agt the front of the inn and dismounted. She led her horse to the back and tethered her by the back door of the inn.
Looking at the back of the inn, Dauwna wondered who she may find inside. She quietly stepped up the stair to the back door, and pulled the door open. It let out a loud squeak and Dauwna froze. Surely whoever was inside would know she was there. She put her hand on her dagger and was ready for what may come. She stepped inside the door and closed it silently but for the squeak.
Dauwna could smell the dank, burnt wood of the fire. She wanted to find the fire and sit by it so she could dry out some. She peered in to the main room but saw nobody. She knew someone had to be there, for the fire had been recently tended. She stood frozen, intently listening for any sound of movement.
She jumped out of her skin when someone turned from the bar and grabbed her hand with the dagger in it. He looked at her hard, not letting his grip on her hand waver. She looked up at him, her silver-gray eyes wide with fear….

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 8:21 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian looked hard at the woman as he held her wrist. He said in a low voice,

"Most patrons coming to an Inn enter through the front door. Yet you chose to enter quietly through the back door, armed none the less."

He squeezed her wrist until the dagger dropped to the floor. It struck the floorboard with a low thunk as the tip embedded itself. He stared at the woman, waiting for her to explain herself.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2017, 11:19 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dauwna tried to pull away but realized she would only get a broken wrist. She relaxed and let the knife fall as she quit pulling against his grip in hopes he would let her go. She looked up at him and said,
“I only wished to get out of the rain. I stabled my horse and came through the back way as the door was open and the rain was falling harder. I smelled the smoke and thought the inn was open.”
The man stared at her and shook his head. He seemed to relax his grip, but not enough to let her wrist slip away. She remained relaxed, trying to hold back her fears. She cleared her throat and said softly,
“Please sir, I am no threat. I only wish to sit by the fire and warm up and maybe dry off some.”
Her eyes were wide and looked into his.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 7:00 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian squinted his eyes at her, and it seemed her words were genuine. He had taken shelter from the rain. There was just nobody there when he arrived. He let her wrist go and stepped back. he said to her,

"My apologies m'lady. It is not my inn, as I, like you, took shelter here. I was just getting myself another ale when you came in."

Durian turned and filled his flagon with the old ale. He looked again at the woman and said,

"If you can find a suitable cup, I will tap you one if you like. I tell you what. You go over and sit by the fire and get comfortable, and I'll bring you one."

Her silver-grey eyes softened as she nodded. Durian picked up a flagon with a broken edge and blew out the dust. He tapped the ale as the woman walked over to the fire and sat on the hearth.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2017, 8:07 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Tali crept close to the inn. It looked broken down and old but one could never tell. There was smoke coming out. Rain ran down her back and she shivered. Fire sounded much better than a dreary wet night outdoors. Scrambling up, she moved towards the back door and peeked in. She couldn't see anyone, but the fire started had to be there somewhere. Maybe he went out. That would give them time to sneak in and hide.

Softly, she padded into the room, sticking to the shadows.

Last edited by Moryár on April 4th, 2017, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 3:25 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dauwna was not sure she should turn her back to this man, but she had little choice, and the fire looked inviting. He did seem sincere with his words and look though. Se walked slowly to the fire, and when she sat down by it, the heat started to make her wet dark green cloak steam. She threw back the hood which revealed her long straight near-black hair that was tied into a single tail. She unpinned the silver brooch from her shoulder that held the cloak close about her and let it open. Her light brown tunic was dark around her neck where the rain had found its way to it. She stretched her legs out before the fire in hopes the legs of her breeches may dry. She looked back and saw the man coming with two cups of ale. He set the better cup before her and he sipped the battered one.
"Thank you kind sir"
she said as she sipped the heavy ale. She was not much of an ale person, but she was thirsty, and this would do. She listened to the water dripping through the roof and looked up to where the water was coming from. She said to the man as she lifted her cup,
"Here's to a roof to shelter under when needed when on the road."
She sipped her ale and thought of asking the man what his name was, but she thought she heard something come from the back room. She wasn't the only one, for he too looked. Dauwna said,
"Mae govannen mellon. Reveal yourself"
She reached for her dagger, but remembered it was still in the flooboard by the bar.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 8:26 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

This woman was an alert one! Good instincts. Durian stepped back and waited to see how this played out with the new arrival. He said,

"Yes, roofs and fires seem to draw people when the weather is dismal. I'll drink to that."

He then walked back toward the bar watching the shadowy edges where he hadn't placed any candles. He reached down and pulled the woman's dagger out and twirled it in his hand. Good blade. He looked to where he thought he could hear breaths but whoever had come in was good at not being seen. He turned and tossed the dagger to the woman who was right on to grabbing its hilt as it sailed by. He then looked over to the shadows and said,

"As the lady said, we know you are here. reveal yourself and a seat by the fire is yours."

Durian stood and watched, unmoving.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 7:38 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Tali hesitated, hand going to her little knife as she saw their weapons. Maybe this wasn't a good place for them.

Mae govannan mellon. Reveal yourself

Tali froze, moderating her breath and hoping they would think it was a rat or some night creature foraging in the back.

As the lady said, we know you are here. reveal yourself and a seat by the fire is yours."

Tali cursed and stepped into the light hesitantly. She placed her hands behind her back, concealing her knife. She hung at the edge of the light, but the candles were enough to show her girlish features. Long tangled hair that, if combed and cleaned, might have been a light brown. Her eyes flashed as she surveyed the two. Maybe...maybe they were safe enough she could bring her brother in.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 9:58 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dauwna dared to grab her flying knife which she did with precision. The man tried to coax the shadow to reveal themselves, and Dauwna added,
“Speaking for myself, you have to not fear me. I am only trying to get dry and shelter from this storm.”
Dauwna stuck her dagger into the table that was by the fire and showed her empty hands to where she thought the person was hiding. She then added,
“And my gut feeling tells me that I have little to fear from this man.”
Dauwna sat back on the hearth letting the warmth of the fire push against her back.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 10:59 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian leaned against the bar and looked over at the woman by the fire, He then returned his gaze to the shadows. He said,

”And you have naught to fear from me, unless you try to attack us. But I feel you will not do that. Come out and get warm by the fire. Maybe we all can get to know each other.”

He again looked over at the woman by the fire. He then said,

”I am Durian of Rhuadur. Dunedain Ranger. I rode with the King in the war, and now have returned north.
This place was of old a place of shelter along the road to Fornost, and though it is abandoned and in ill repair, it remains so.”

He sipped the ale he had in his hand, and he held his free hand up, in a sign of peace.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 11:13 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Tali stepped back into the shadows to place her knife in her belt, before creeping to the fire. She looked warily at the two strangers.

"You rode with the King?" she looked curious.

She glanced at the door, wondering when she could slip out again and lead Will into the warmth of the room. But she had to make doubly sure these people were safe. Last time they trusted a stranger's fire, Will had gotten a scar down his cheek.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 11:28 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

”Yes, except he wasn’t king then. He was our chieftain. What is your name miss?”

Durian said as he brought a pot of water toward the fire. He said,

”We’ll get some hot drinks ready once this gets to boiling. I have some tea with me somewhere.”

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 3:21 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

"Tali," she answered meekly.

If he rode with the King then she would trust him. Their father had been with the King...perhaps this ranger knew of him. A twinge of pain stabbed at her heart. Perhaps this ranger knew how their father had died.

"We'll get some hot drinks ready once this gets to boiling. I have some tea with me somewhere."

Tali broke loose from the memories and shot to her feet. She had almost forgotten Will! She paused, trying to amend her hasty action.

"I'll be right back, kind people," she said, running back out.

It wasn't hard to find Will, he was sitting cross-legged under the pine tree she had left him at. His hood was pulled up and Tali felt bad for leaving her brother out in the rain for so long.

"Is that you, Tali?" He asked, tilting his head towards her footsteps.

"Right here," Tali said. "I found a warm place for us tonight."

"Good," Will shivered. "I was hoping to spend the night out of the rain."

Will crawled out and stood, grasping Tali's shoulder. Though a year younger, he was a good head taller than his sister.

"Me too," Tali agreed, leading him back to the forsaken inn.

Once inside she approached the fire again, a little nervously, wondering if the strangers would mind that she brought another visitor.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 5:14 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dauwna turned to the fire and let the heat push its way to her. When she turned around again, she said,
"Tali, that is a beautiful name! Well Durian of Rhuadur and Tali, I am Dauwna Deumeawyn of the Firien Wood... well that is where I spent most of my youth."
Tali seemed to relax and she excused herself and ran back out the back of the inn. She returned with a young man. Dauwna said,
"Welcome Tali's friend! You two are soaked! Here, come sit on the hearth and warm up. I'll put another log on and we'll get this pot hung."
Dauwna grabbed a fair log and set it atop the remnants of the burning logs and sparks rushed up the chimney. Then a gust of wind blew hard the rain against the wall and through a broken window, and the chimney back drafted and sent a plume of smoke into Dauwna's face. She backed away blinking, the smoke stinging her eyes. She sat in a chair and offered the hearth to the Tali and her friend when the fire resumed it's updraft.
She rubbed her watery eyes and finally said to Durian,
"I hate it when that happens.So, you are one of them rangers I heard about in Bree. I thank you for your service sir!"
She lifted her cup and drained the remaining ale as she watched him hang the pot over the fire and put a lid on it to keep ashes out. Tali and her friend slowly came to sit by the fire.
(I hope I'm not guiding other's characters too much.)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 7:40 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

After Durian got the pot set, he handed Dauwna a bandana for her to wipe her eyes. He sat back and saw Tali bring in someone in out of the rain. He said,

”Yes! Please sit and warm up. The rain is cold and the wind biting. We’ll have some hot tea soon. You two look hungry as well. I’m afraid any food left in this place has either rotted or has been eaten by rats. I have some trail ration, and I’ll need to go tend to my horse. Stormer is fairly wild, but even she would want shelter this night. “

He looked over at Dauwna and asked,

”Do you have anything with you for these guys to eat?”

Durian wrapped his cloak around him as he readied to go out the front door.

(You're doing fine in my opinion Deumeawyn)

Profile       WWW