Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 80  Next
 Post subject: Phantom Grey - Original Fantasy RPG
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 8:39 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

The name crept in among them. Nobody knew how…but one thing was certain: the night before the sudden assassination of the King's Heir, a daughter Silvryn Seilhera and the most promising Princess to grace Kytana's streets in a century, there had been no Phantom Grey. No whispers in the night, no mutters in the day.

Stories of him varied. To the nobles he was a dastardly villain, murderer of their precious Princess - a yarn said to have been circulated by the High Vizier, who now would ascend to the throne after the king's imminent demise. To the traders he was a thief and a trickster, a dancing shadow of moon and stars. To the children he was a bedtime story, a tale to be told in hushed tones by the fire. But to the peasants, perhaps most accurately, he was Phantom Grey - secretive and sinister but at times unexpectedly noble, a rescuer.

Events took their course, as events will, and presently the King did indeed die, and his Vizier ascended to Regentship until an heir was a come of age. There were several, nephews and nieces of the Royal family, and for a time all was thought to be well and good, or as well and good as could be under the circumstances.

But first one little niece died. Then the oldest nephew. And in the course of a grief-filled six months the rest were laid to rest by some disease that came like a thief in the night - like a phantom, though he was not its cause - and the Regent looked very much like ascending completely to Kingship and control over Kytana.

But the Phantom's strikes increased forthwith until the Regent could not so much as send a caravan to the nearby sea for salt and fish than they came tearing back, money stolen and prize possessions likewise spirited away. Strangely, the peasants endured no such hardship, indeed they almost appeared to be benefiting. And young men who would prove valuable to the Regent's army disappeared overnight, their families hard-faced and uncommunicative as to their whereabouts. Young women, too, left their kin suddenly while disapproving elders muttered about their duty to marry and bear children. And occasionally whole families disappeared altogether, almost always ones who were desperately in debt or convicted of some crime.

And the Phantom's power grew, even though none had ever seen him.

But so much more than the nobles or the Regent ever suspected was at the Phantom's disposal. In a great network of caves deep underneath the Earth's Teeth, a formidable mountain range skirting Kytana and separating it from nearby Vidyr, a growing community exists - and a devoted band of the Phantom's followers.

But the Regent is not content to sit docile, allowing what he now thinks of as his kingdom to have its resources sucked dry by some taunting rebel. He begins to arrest many, often on little or no charges. But some of his attacks have struck their target…and will the Phantom be next, to join the growing ranks of his imprisoned followers? To hang dangling from a noose as the sun sets, abandoning Kytana to a merciless usurper?

Find out.

-----------------------

I will be playing the Phantom, and only him for now. You can be anybody you want, really - a rebel, a villager, a noble, an evil person…

Also, when creating your characters, keep in mind that Kytana is not a land where magic is common and commonly used. The vast majority of people will have no magical powers at all, and those that do will not have big flashy ones - enough to mutter a charm in order to light a torch, or communicate telepathically over short distances. Races are predominantly human, a dying race of Dwarves, and the last few elf-human hybrids. These are mostly nobles, so if your character is a villager they will have no Elven blood. They are also very similar to humans other than enhanced senses and agility, and often strangely colored hair and eyes. This is not set in stone, so other subtle magical abilities and possibly some other races are still open for debate.

Places:
The land is called Kytana, and it's predominantly coastal, sharing about a quarter of its border with neighboring Vidyr. The mountains along this border are Earth's Teeth, and the capital city in the centre of Kytana is Y'rydha. Other than that, no set places or features other than the Phantom's Keep, under the Earth's Teeth.

Please post your characters in the thread in The Barrow-Downs :)

Last edited by Meldawen on March 16th, 2007, 7:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 8:42 pm 

I'll join. :) I'll post my bio soon.

Hopefully...

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 8:58 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I'll join gladly! *goes and makes up bio*

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 8:59 pm 
Mageling
Mageling

bio up :D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 9:01 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Yay, three already :) Pretty cool bio, LDM, I see you're deviating slightly from your Enigmatic Swordsmen with Dark Pasts :P

*Wonders if the Phantom needs a bio* Nah, you guys can find out about him as we go.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 9:12 pm 
Elf
Elf

This looks really cool! I think I'll join. Bio up soon :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 9:13 pm 
Mageling
Mageling

nah, this one's closer to my Effeminate Wizard stereotype except he's not elven.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 9:29 pm 

Would it be all right if I join? This would be my first RPG...

It sounds really cool though!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 9:31 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Wow, glad to be your first, and by all means you can join. Let me know if you need help with anything! :-D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 9:32 pm 
A-U's Official Tolkien Scholar
A-U's Official Tolkien Scholar

Hmm...I'm intrigued. I'll most likely join. I just need to see if a character will come to me first. :teehee:

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 9:34 pm 
Maia
Maia

Hmm... I'll join.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 9:38 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I'd like to join ... if it's alright with everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 9:50 pm 
Maia
Maia

I'll be the Regent if you'd like. I'll post my bio up soon.

Hello, I'm Amoniel
[/font]
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 12:51 am 
Maia
Maia

I'd like to join too! I'll get my bio up tomorrow

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 1:06 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Thanks Amoniel, but on second thought I think I'm actually going to play him. The plot I have (vaguely) in mind requires some specific stuff from the Regent in particular, so it's less confusing if I play him. Thanks though :)

Wow, I totally cannot believe how many people have joined! And we have a potr - don't believe I've ever done a fantasy RP with you before mate! ;)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2007, 3:44 am 
Vala
Vala

*hurt look* You didn't reserve a spot for me?

I'm joining anyways. :D I might not get the bio up as fast as everyone else will, though, since I have to get off in like twenty seconds (I'm typing fast), but I'll get it up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 80  Next