Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 13th, 2010, 12:12 pm 
Istari
Istari

[[I know, I know... Finally ;) I hope you all like <3]]

Andrea fought her way through the thick fog that clouded her mind. The pain was intense; there wasn't an inch of her body that didn't ache or hurt. Her head throbbed as voices started to filter through to her disorientated semi-conscious state. She was sure she could hear someone calling her name, but she couldn't find the strength to answer. She felt close to tears. How could he do this to her? To his own sister, especially after what they had endured as children? A wave of nausea washed over her which almost caused her to retch. Finally she managed to open her eyes, only to squeeze them shut again as her vision was assaulted by bright lights. Gingerly she tried again, her stomach churning angrily as she tasted blood. One side of her face felt sticky and slowly she she raised a shaking hand to feel it, only to find more blood. Her hair was matted where it had congealed, she discovered as she brushed it away from her face, sitting up slowly, using the iron bars beside her for support. One thing was for certain; she had a very nasty concussion, amongst other things. She rested her pounding forehead against the cool metal of her cage, unaware that she had company until she let her eyes drag up to gaze unfocused into the cell opposite her. Familiar eyes found hers and for a moment her heart stopped. No, it had to be a hallucination, she was concussed after all. It was impossible; there was no way that across from her could stand...

“H-Hector?” He voice cracked, betraying the pain she felt, both mental and physical. She tried to focus her vision. He looked at her in the same way she imagined she was looking at him; face both disbelieving and hopeful. She couldn't help but smile as she realised that he really stood before her, flesh and bone. She only wished they weren't separated by bars. She wanted to know if he was all right, if he was injured, what had happened to him, but the words just wouldn't come. Instead she asked with her eyes, hoping he'd understand the look she gave him.

-----

Caleb watched with trepidation as the Thalassa moored up beside them. He looked behind him to where the rest of his family had gathered, faces the picture of worry. No sooner had Bartley boarded, he was upon Caleb, Ardan following close behind. The anger was clear on his face, terrifying and dominating. As he came level, he reached out and grabbed the front of Caleb's waistcoat and shook him hard.

“Are you determined to drag the good name of this family into the ground?” He snarled, eyes flashing. “Do you wish to ruin us all?” Calmly Caleb took ahold of Bartley's hands and prised them from his clothes. Ardan stepped forward and lay a hand on his brother's shoulder.

“Steady on Bart!” He said, before graciously nodding at Caleb. “I'm sure our boy has his reasons. Perhaps we should discuss the matter in a more private occupancy?” Caleb nodded and led the way to his cabin, gesturing for the rest of his family to follow them. Once inside, Bartley seated himself at the top of the grand table with Ardan beside him, as the rest of the family filtered in and took their usual places; Breandan, who had accompanied Bartley and Ardan, sat down beside his father. Liam took the seat next to Ardan - receiving a small pat on the shoulder as he did – and Catriona took her seat at the opposite end of the table from Bartley, Noirin and Kayla flanking her, leaving Caleb to take a set next to Breandan and Kayla, and Eoghan to take the last remaining seat between Liam and Noirin.

The air was thick with tension until Ardan chose to speak. “Well Caleb,” He began, his voice calm. He was well known as the more reasonable of the two brothers and Caleb knew he'd make sure everyone had a fair say. “Why don't you tell us how you came to decide upon this venture of yours?” Caleb nodded and slowly stood, straightening out his waistcoat as he did. He cleared his throat softly and began.

“About a month ago I received word from Andrea, explaining her troubles and asking for my help. I knew she would not have asked if she were not desperate and so decided to assist her. I did not ask for the help of my kin, but when Eoghan and Liam insisted on accompanying me I felt it was not my place to deny them. I had insisted upon Mother, Noirin and Kayla staying behind, they however had other ideas and stow away on the Medusa without our knowledge. As it happens, we were too late to help and instead found ourselves amidst a scene of devastation. It may have been dangerous and unlawful for us to help the survivors, but I believe it was the right thing to do. Leaving them to their fate simply would not sit right with my conscience. Now I intend to find my niece and help her in whichever way she needs.” He nodded to Ardan, indicating that he had finished his story and sat once again.

“Your actions are indeed honourable Caleb,” Ardan said softly with understanding. “But I fear your efforts were in vain. Wherever dear Andrea is now, if she has not perished, she is a fugitive and a highly hunted one at that-”

“The girl is a fool and deserves whatever punishment the law sees fit!” Bartley interrupted, slamming his fist upon the table. “She has chosen her fate and must now face it.” Kayla started forward but Caleb quickly grabbed her arm, warning her with his eyes.

“Come now Bart,” Ardan continued patiently. “We have no idea what circumstances lead her to this fate. Besides, she is still our kin, you would not completely turn your back on her surely?”

“Yes, I would.” Bartley growled, his eyes flashing dangerously. “She is selfish and has no care for this family or it's name. Now I am going to say this once and clearly;” He turned to Caleb and the others. “You either stop this ridiculous spectacle and return with us to Ireland, or you continue and be disinherited and disowned, never to step foot near this family again!”

There were gasps around the table but Caleb merely sighed. He'd known such a threat was coming. He looked to each of his family in turn before looking back at his uncles. “The others can return home with you, but I am going to find my niece.” He said sternly, finalisation clear in his voice.

“And I am going to find my grand-daughter.” Catriona spoke from his left, her eyes stern and piercing. “You have tried to rule this family for to long Batley Costello and I won't stand for it any longer.” She nodded to Caleb and Ardan in turn.

“Well you'd be damned if you try to find her without my help!” Liam added with a devious smile. He turned to address Bartley. “Besides, you've been working to disinherit me for years, I may as well finalise it with some honour.” He too nodded to Caleb before Eoghan spoke up.

“Finding Andrea is the right thing to do, she would do the same for any of us, so you can count on me father.” Caleb smiled at his son gratefully.

“And me!” Came a feminine voice from beside Catriona. “Andrea was, is, my best friend and I want to help in anyway I can.” Caleb opened his mouth to argue but Noirin cut him short. “No father, I'm doing this and there is nothing you can say that will stop me.” He sighed his surrender and nodded. He knew she would find a way to accompany them anyway, whether she had his blessing or not. The next voice to speak up didn't surprise him in the slightest and he turned his head towards Kayla's small form.

“I'm coming as well.” She said, her voice strong and defiant. “She's my mother and none of you are going to keep her from me any longer.” She was interrupted, however, by the sound of Bartley smashing his fist against the table top a second time.

“No!” He roared, eyes flashing furiously. “Enough of this! The rest of you be damned but I will not see good blood and breeding go to waste. Kayla, you will be going nowhere near that *beep* of a woman. Instead you will be placed under the care of your uncle in Port Royal where you shall hopefully be taught better manners and a sense of propriety.” Kayla quickly stood, her face reddening with anger.

“But she's my mother!” She shouted, voice cracking against her will.

“Kayla,” Caleb whispered softly. “Go to your uncle, you may find yourself in a better position to help your mother there. You may even be able to save her life.” His eyes shone with meaning and Kayla forced back the lump of emotion that was pushing it's way up her throat.

“You are better off without her!” Bartley roared, also standing so that his figure towered over Kayla, threatening and imposing. “Now place your impudent tongue back behind your teeth, leave my sight at once and return to the Thalassa. I wash my hands of the lot of you!” He sneered eyes hard and piercing as they travelled across the remaining Costellos. “Breandan; come.”

“No.” Everyone turned to look at Breandan with surprise.

“What did you say?” Bartley asked, voice dangerously low.

“I said 'no' father, Caleb is right; Andrea needs our help. She is not the woman you think she is. Whatever has lead her to this place, it will have been because she believed it to be the right path.” He walked around the table to place a hand on Caleb's shoulder. “And so I am also going to do what I believe to be right.”

Bartley let out a roar of frustration and grabbed Kayla's arm before marching out of the cabin, pulling her roughly behind him leaving Ardan in his wake, shaking his head.

“I am sorry it has come to this.” He said softly, looking around the room at the stunned faces of his family. “But there will be a place for you all when you return, I promise you that.” With one last nod he left the cabin, leaving behind him a thick silence.

-----

Hunter sat silently in his cabin, fingers massaging his temple as he felt the signs of a strong headache set in. The day had been long but extremely successful, yet he could not shift the feeling of unease he felt. He did not try to deny that the unease had sprung from the sight of his sister, broken and bloodied, being dragged from his cabin. Aleksandra had certainly performed some of her best work on Andrea, but the sight of it had brought back memories from their childhood and the way their father had treated them.

Andrea had always been the one to pick him up and mop his wounds after their father had finished with him and in return he had done the same for her. Now, however, he had been the one to cause the wounds. Not by his own hand, granted, but by his orders and he could not shift the guilt that was now settling in. No matter what had happened between them in the past, Andrea was still his sister. Did she really deserve this treatment? She was a pirate, it was true, but he had done worse things out of desperation and she certainly was not alike the Barbary Corsairs that had taken his adolescence from him, that he had sworn revenge on. Could he just stand by and watch as her body swayed from the gallows?

How could he ever look his niece in the eye again, knowing he was responsible for her mother's death, a mother she had never known no less? No, something had to be done, he needed to find a way to bridge the gap between them, but how? Perhaps an audience with her alone would help matters, he would need to keep his temper and emotions in check, but it was certainly worth a try. He wouldn't attempt to even approach her tonight though, he doubted she would even look at him after what he'd done to her. He sighed and poured himself a glass of brandy, letting his thoughts drift to another woman, a very intriguing woman.

He smiled as he thought of the way she had played his words with him. She certainly had spirit, yet with it a sense of pride and decorum. He liked that. He also liked the curve of her breast and the plumpness of her lips, but he realised thoughts of that nature would not help his troubled mind in the slightest. He would call for her tonight, he decided, right now in fact. She would dine with him and he would lay out his proposition for her. She would be a fool not to accept it.

A loud knock sounded at his cabin door and he permitted the knocker entrance. A young officer stepped in and announced the approach of the Endeavour. Hunter smiled slyly, no doubt his friend wanted to drink to their victory with him, his propositions for Rosalind would have to wait it seemed.

-----

Zoe sat with her back against the wall of their cage, holding a sleeping Shiloh tightly in her arms. Quietly she watch as Andrea came around and spotted Captain Barbossa in the next cell, all the while her fingers running circles upon her own love's skin. She looked to Alanna, her own captain and could feel the grief that radiated from her. The woman looked tired and broken, Zoe knew the pain she felt, the pain of losing all one had. She was surprised the blonde captain had kept it together as long as she had. She had been fiery and determined when she was first placed in the cell, but soon she had crumbled into herself, weary and heartbroken.

Zoe thanked the powers that she still had Shiloh, she wasn't quite sure what she would have done if she'd lost him. Alanna looked at her, her eyes hard yet pleading.

“Surely there is something you can do?” She asked, her voice gruff. Zoe looked at her with confusion before her meaning struck. Alanna knew of Zoe's powers, as hard as she had tried to keep them a secret the strength and speed at which they had been growing had not gone unnoticed. Zoe sighed and shook her head.

“I haven't the strength nor the control.” She said softly and Alanna threw her a dirtied look.

“Then what the hell is the point of you?” She growled spitefully. Zoe simply ignored her, knowing the words came from grief and desperation. Movement caught the corner of her eyes as something small and furry moved quickly through the brig before jumping atop Barbossa's shoulder. She smiled softly and closed her eyes, resting her head against Shiloh's and letting exhaustion take her.

It's twisting on a thread

+ COME RAISE THE DEAD +

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 13th, 2010, 6:25 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

brilliant my dear, as always! awww little Jack <3 I shall start my reply asap! xx

^Lothy^
~| Karrax/Dreax/Eoghelle/Barbea |~
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 13th, 2010, 6:43 pm 

[ I believe I should post first.. I shall have one up soon! :) ]

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2010, 10:57 am 

Liam lay still on this back, staring lifeless at the sky. He tried hard not to feel, to think nor to grief, but it was hard not to. Somehow the scenes kept repeating themselves over again in his mind and he couldn't stop wondering whether he could have done more to help and save his friends. Guilt and grief seemed to weigh heavier on his heart than ever before, when he thought that he might never see any of them again. Robyn. Edward. Andrea. Guin..

Liam’s heart seemed to skip a beat when he thought of her. He could not bear to think that she was dead. Would they never see each other again? Would they never laugh and talk together again, like they had done until the end? So many things would be left unsaid, and many things would remain undone. If he had only known that they could never spent another moment together, than he would have changed things. He would have said that he loved her, loved her more than she could ever imagine. That he would never leave her and that they would be together forever…

Liam fought the tears that welled up in his eyes, commanding himself not to feel and not to think; only repeating that mantra over and over again while he was staring at the spotless sky. It was incredible how that one moment could change and ruin lives forever, without mercy or purpose. Liam didn’t believe in fate or destiny, only in the actions and consequences of people. And Liam swore to himself that Beckett would have to pay for all he’d done.

Suddenly there was a loud squeal and a soaked figure, with bright red hair, fell down next to him, crying and laughing both at the same time. “Guin?” Liam, unbelief clearly audible in his voice. Could this be true? Would the Lord himself then have answered his prayers? Her touch was as cold as ice as she touched his cheek, but Liam could for a moment only watch Guin, whom he’d thought to have lost. He kissed her cold lips feverishly, hoping that if this was a dream, that he would never have to wake up. Guinevere’s presence and touch worked on him like a sweet lullaby, soothing his senses, bewitching him. “Thank the heaven’s you’re still alive,” he murmured as Guinevere sat up. “I thought.. I thought..” But Liam couldn’t bring himself to speak out loud the worst fear that had tortured him for days.

Liam, I love you. I really do.

Slowly a radiating smile appeared on Liam’s face. Laughter of pure joy could be heard as he threw both his arms around Guinevere’s frail figure and pulled her into an embrace. The softness of her skin, her flaming hair and sweet words; everything seemed overwhelming. “I love you too Guin. I’ve loved you more than you can ever imagine,” he whispered in her ear. “And I will never leave you ever again. Please let me stay with you forever..?”

---------------------------

Kaj struggled to move closer to the bars, where Christine reached out for him, but it felt like a thousand nails were driven into his body. Dizziness again overwhelmed him and it seemed like exhaustion and pain were finally taking their toll after days of floating in the ocean. With his one hand clutched against his breast, he grabbed that of Chrissy’s with the other. She looked horrible; pale and covered with blood and dust. All other worries immediately forgotten, Kaj looked at Chrissy worriedly before asking: “Where are you hurt, Chris? Let me help you..”

Kaj directed his blurred vision a little aside, when the answer to his former question, was answered by a familiar voice; Eve’s. He gave a low grunt in response to her answer, but did not say anything. He tried to think clearly, but it took him a lot of effort and therefore he simply listened to the conversation between Eve and Christine.

“Edward and Robyn are probably dead,” he said, not in a harsh but in a matter-of-fact tone. “And they are probably better off than we are, since we are alive and captured by Beckett… There will be hell to pay..” Kaj did not wrap the truth up in pretty words, however sensitive the disposition of Eve was. The truth was ugly and she better prepared for it than to hope for the best.

For a moment Kaj gave in to the overwhelming exhaustion and closed his eyes, as he rested with his head against the cold bars, but not letting go of Chrissy’s hand. That short time of semi-consciousness was a welcoming relief compared to the pain and their looming doom he had to face while being awake. But Christine dragged Kaj cruelly from his dream-like state by uttering that single name, which he’d hoped never to hear again. Bartleby. Kaj looked up up and stared at Christine’s pale face, horror written in his eyes.

“He’s here?” he whispered hoarsely. He did not needed an answer, the look of fear in Christine’s eyes said enough.
While he was processing this horrible bit of new information, Kaj couldn’t suppress the thought that fate was playing games with him once more. He should have died.. died a long time ago. But yet he was here now, alive, captured on the ship where probably his arch enemy was in charge. And Kaj was sure that Bartleby had not forgotten how he had betrayed him and left him to die. He was doomed.

“I’m not going to let that b-astard to anything to you.” He whispered quietly to the redhead. “Do you hear me Christine..? I will protect you.” But Kaj thought with irony of his maimed left hand, his sword hand, which might perhaps be unable to hold a sword or pistol ever again. How was he ever going to protect her or defend himself?

Kaj’s train of thought was suddenly interrupted by the entrance of Jack Sparrow. The fact that Sparrow was alive did nothing to Kaj. The man was a loner, working only for himself and his benefit only. Silently he observed Christine’s face, and it was evident that she did not remain unmoved by Jack’s appearance. Hope and affection was written on her face as she craned her neck, hoping that Sparrow would give a sign of recognition.

Kaj couldn’t help but pity her, and as he let go of her hand, he shook his head. Jack Sparrow was the last thing they had to worry about, even if he had a plan to escape, he would not share it with them. No.. all they could do now, was to wait. Wait for a miracle.

----------------------------

“Great..” James mumbled under his breath as he shot a glare at Abrax. Disappointed that the man was not willing to share any information, Norrington slumped against the wall of the brig. He silently observed how other pirates, also captured, were brought below deck. He recognised none, except for one. It was Hector Barbossa, who looked not so proud as usual; dismay seemed to have overtaken him.

James sighed, wishing to be somewhere else. Not only because he was now a captive of the East India Trading Company, the same EITC where he’d turned his back on not long ago because of remorse, but also because he was surrounded by couples confessing their love. He could not look at them, without feeling annoyed but lonely as well, having no one to talk his, or to share his fears with. So he just closed his eyes, and tried to block out all the soft murmuring.
“Great..” he muttered again. “Just great..”

--------------------------

The dot was getting closer and closer. Although everything was a blur and Sam thoughts were incoherent, she somehow realised that this was her only chance of rescue. If the ship, friend or foe wouldn’t spot her, she would surely drown.
“Help..” But her voice only produced a pathetic hoarse sound, which would never be heard. Sam coughed, and coughed again, spilling blood on her sleeve, but when she tried again, her voice seemed even softer than before.

The ship approached steadily, and seemed to course exactly to her position, as if they knew she was there. Sam raised one arm to wave while she clung with the other frantically to the piece of driftwood. Exhaustion threatened to overwhelm her once more, and the redhead was fighting for her life to stay awake.

Suddenly Sam realised, when the ship was so close that she could see people moving on the deck, that it was not a pirate ship as its flag wore the insignia of the EITC. Yet she couldn’t watch it sail by and hoping there would be another to save her. She couldn’t die out here, alone, in the cold. She had to keep fighting for her life.. And with the last strength she tried a last time. “Help!”

[I thought the ship could be the Dionysos? Perhaps Carlist could spot her? ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10th, 2010, 7:11 am 

[ Bumpish :) ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10th, 2010, 11:05 am 
Maia
Maia

(I've had my post ready for a while, and I've been meaning to wait to put it up, but I don't want BHLN to die! So here it is :pirate:
Maeth, I know you still have to post for Gibbs and I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve posted again for Morgaine. =)
And everyone, I’m sorry if this post is over-long, again. :lol: )

Standing at Gibbs’ side, Morgaine looked on as the Thalassa moored up beside the Medusa. She gazed upon the Costello’s “reunion” with interest, before the family disappeared into the captain’s cabin. For a moment, she remained silent. It had been made crystal clear by Caleb that this was not a pirate ship. He was only helping them because he wanted to find Andrea. Morgaine did not need to resort to using her “mystic” powers to figure this out – it was a puzzle easily solved. The surname, the family resemblance. A child could have pieced it together. She wondered what would happen when they had to leave the ship. Could they ever be safe on land again? It seemed a certainty that Beckett’s men would probably be everywhere, searching for the remaining living pirates.

Morgaine stood slightly apart from Gibbs now, and she turned her head back to face him, drawing her blanket more closely about her shoulders for warmth. A smile warmed her tanned features. Her hair was drying in thick cords about her face now, shining like burnished gold. “You must be cold,” she said. “I know I am! Still, a slight chill never did me any harm.” It was typical of Morgaine to dismiss her own welfare as of little importance. She was a strong young woman, and was able to bear many hardships. However, she still felt considerable inward unrest. Her promise concerning Lord Beckett was still echoing in her mind, although she acted now as if she had never made the chilling oath. If the opportunity to finish him ever came into her hands, how would she use it? How should he be dispatched? Morgaine knew how to handle a pistol as well as any pirate, but a quick, merciful end would not satisfy her desire for revenge. She had powers within her that would allow for a pleasing vengeance, and would ensure Beckett knew, with his last breaths, the very meaning of pain.

She did not want to speak of any of this to Gibbs, though. The man had seen monsters before in his life – the Kraken, Davy Jones. Morgaine did not want him to think of her as a monster. Looking at him, she tried to catch a small glimpse of his thoughts; had she unnerved him? After a moment, she lowered her gaze away. Maybe she didn’t want to read his mind. And anyway, just because she could, did it give her the right? Taking a step closer, she put her hand on his arm. “I’d say you could do with some of that accursed drink you so favour,” she said. “Rum.” Her nose crinkled slightly when she spoke this word. She didn’t like the taste of the well-loved pirate drink. “But I don’t know if Captain Costello-Nightingale keeps any on board or not.”

~~~

Guinevere buried her face in Liam’s neck as he pulled her into his embrace. Tears still streamed freely down her cheeks even as she laughed with him, her whole body trembling with cold and emotion. She listened to his whispered words in her ear, happiness coursing through her very veins. He loved her too. That was all she needed to hear. For a moment she said nothing, and simply clung to him, sobbing out her relief. He was alive, and she’d believed that he was lost forever. This felt like a dream, too beautiful to be true – but it was true. Slowly, her weeping began to die down, and she raised her head so that she could meet his gaze.

“You have no idea how long I’ve waited to hear you say that!” she murmured, her eyes shining, barely able to pitch her voice above a whisper in her current state. She wrapped her arms about his neck, a joyful smile escaping across her features. “Of course you can stay with me. Always.” She caressed his smiling face, her hand trembling. “Always,” she repeated. From now on, she wanted them never to be apart. Having come so close to losing Liam, she never wanted to risk such a thing again. Gazing up at him, it was as if she was memorizing his every feature off by heart. Even soaked with seawater, wet hair plastered about her face, Guin looked so lovely in that moment; hopeful, bursting with optimism, and yet fearing that this newfound joy might somehow slip away from her hands. She looked vulnerable in a way she had seldom looked before. She was usually so strong, so determined, but the aftermath of the battle and the Pearl’s destruction had left her drained and tired.

She leaned forward and kissed him again. In his arms, she was beginning to warm up, and was shivering less. After a few moments, she gently pulled back and rested her head against his shoulder, suddenly overcome by the urge to tell him everything, all the thoughts that were going through her mind. “I was so frightened,” she whispered. “I thought I would die. I thought everyone, everyone was dead… for a while, floating in the sea, it seemed the only survivors were Cairbre and I.” Her eyes were now closed. Speaking Cairbre’s name immediately triggered memories of everything that had occurred between them, and she was nearly overcome by a rush of shock, but she instinctively tried to fight it. “And then we found Lucette. You know, that French girl. You have no idea what a relief it was that someone else was alive. Then we saw this ship. And then… then I found you.”

She reached for his hand, linking her fingers through his. Having involuntarily mentioned Cairbre, she desperately wanted to keep up the block that barred any complicated emotions about him from surfacing. She needed Liam to stay with her. She couldn’t let anything or anyone come between them. She knew that she would have to see Cairbre again soon at some point, but she hoped that he would accept her and Liam’s relationship. As he had always done. Guin at once knew how selfish that sounded. Her thoughts were falling into place like rows of dominos. As he had always done. She could see all too clearly now that Cairbre had always loved her, and had never spoken a word. How could she have been so stubbornly blind? Why had it taken her so long to see clearly? Ten years, no less. And she only recognised his feelings for her now, when she was not free to perhaps return them… why hadn’t Cairbre ever said anything? Well. His love for her had been obvious enough, if she had ever chosen to open her eyes to it.

Addressing her own feelings towards him would hurt too much. She was afraid of addressing them. They were too confusing, too troubling. How on earth could it be possible to simultaneously care for two men? But she couldn’t deny how safe she had felt when Cairbre had held her, how happy she’d been when he kissed her brow. Guin kept her eyes closed, trying to build up a mental wall of bricks against thoughts of him.

Moments passed, and her breathing was steadying as she leaned against Liam, hoping that he would never let her go. She loved him so much. She concentrated on the circle of his arms around her, the warmth radiating from his skin. “You said you’ll never leave me,” she said softly. “Do you promise? I promise I’ll never leave you. Never.” She swore to herself that this was a promise she’d keep, forever. “Because you’re my love and I’m yours, and that’s the way it’ll stay.”

You have another love, her mind whispered to her, traitorously. And you left him sitting alone on the deck because of your own selfishness. How can you do this to him? Don’t you know how cruel you are not to even give him the slightest chance?

Guin nestled closer to Liam to block these thoughts out. She still held his hand, and she gripped it tighter for strength. She’d told him that she would never leave him, and it was a promise that she intended to keep. Her head was close to his chest, and she could hear his heartbeat. It had a soothing effect on her, like a beautiful song. “My love,” she repeated softly, straight from the heart. She was relieved that her voice did not reveal any of the turmoil that had been dancing through her mind, thoughts that she somehow managed to keep from appearing on the surface.

My love. Everything she had said to him was the truth. There was no way she would risk losing Liam. But keeping him by her side meant losing someone else dear to her. Well… she could still be friends with Cairbre, couldn’t she? She didn’t have to lose him completely. Such a long-lasting friendship couldn’t simply wither away. She forced herself to decide that this would be possible, that their friendship could carry on in the same way despite everything.

Guinevere lifted Liam’s hand up to her lips, and she placed a gentle kiss against his skin. She realised now that she had not asked how he was. “Are you well?” she said, intently. “You’re not too cold? Or hungry?” She did not know how long he’d been on board the ship. She searched his face for any sign of discomfort. Looking at him, she was overwhelmed by a sudden rush of relief that he was alright all over again, and she let out an exhalation of breath, which tickled her red hair. With her free hand, she touched his face, almost as if to make sure that he was real once more. Guin herself was starving hungry, and thirsty too, but she didn’t care. All that mattered was that he was alright.

~~~

Cairbre sat in silence after he had snapped Lucette’s arm back into place, his thoughts wandering in a whirlwind of despair and depression. He couldn’t stop running over everything that had happened between him and Guinevere again and again in his mind, even though it hurt him. Just knowing that she had run away to find Liam was too much to bear. If she found Liam, then she would be so happy. Because she loved the man. There was no denying it, even though he wanted to. If he lived in a perfect world, then Guin would be telling Cairbre this very second that she loved him, that she always had and always would. But the world wasn’t a perfect place. It was complex, and cold and harsh.

He suddenly lifted his head after long moments of silence, as he heard Lucette begin to talk. It took him a while to even process the fact that she was addressing him, someone she hardly knew, about matters that were extremely personal to her. She was crying, and brimming with an acute pain that Cairbre knew all too well. He found himself observing her and listening as she poured out the words. Even when she slipped into her native French, Cairbre still understood what she was saying; having grown up the son of a lord, Cairbre had been educated to speak several foreign languages, French amongst them.

When she fell silent, Cairbre wondered if he should say something. After all, it was rude just to say nothing when a person in great pain had just poured out the contents of their heart before you. Slowly, his spoke, his voice low. “We all make mistakes,” he said. “In our different ways. No one can go through their life without making some wrong decisions… or leaving things unsaid. Heaven knows I’ve made my fair share of mistakes.” Stooping his head, he involuntarily ran a hand through his dark hair, closing his eyes to try and block out the pain. It didn’t work. He had never ever made mistakes the like of which Lucette had made – he would never leave someone he loved. But he had left his love for Guinevere unspoken, and he had stood back and watched as Liam claimed her, as she fell in love with another man. He could have fought harder for her. He could have told her on the very first day that he met her, ten years ago, that he loved her. But he hadn’t. And now it seemed as if it was far too late.

Filled with self-loathing, Cairbre wanted to punish himself for letting the best thing that had ever happened to him slip out of his hands. He found himself continuing talking, his pain pouring into words. “Why can’t I just tell Guinevere that I love her?” he blurted out. “Why should it be so impossible? But then… she should be able to see the way I feel. It’s obvious enough to everyone but her. It’s like a kind of blindness. A shield to stop herself from getting hurt. I know that. But I would never, ever hurt her. I’d never leave her or let her down. I’ve stayed by her side all these years. How could I let another man just stroll up and steal her away? If he’s alive, then she’ll be with him. And I can’t pretend anymore that everything’s alright. I need to know if she could love me too.”

Finally lifting his head, he was flooded with embarrassment at telling Lucette all these personal things, secrets. What a fool she probably thought him. “I’m sorry,” he said, wearily. “You don’t want to hear all this. Forget I said anything.” He turned his head. The woman still looked very unwell, but she didn’t seem to care. He felt he should enquire about her wellbeing, but it was beyond him. Cairbre was still cold and in shock, shivering violently, blood running down from the cut on his cheek.

~~~

Eve let out a small, choked sob as Christine replied that she had seen neither Robyn nor Edward. She could not fight the tears that were filling her eyes, blurring her vision. She knew that they were very probably dead, and there was nothing she could do to make anything right again. In the background, she heard voices, belonging to Christine, Kaj, Henry and that redcoat. They all seemed to merge together, turning into nonsense. Only when she heard Kaj speaking Edward and Robyn’s names did her mind snap back into focus, and she lifted her head, only to face the mental equivalent to being punched hard in the stomach.

Edward and Robyn are probably dead. It was nothing but the truth that the man spoke, but it hurt all the same. To hear those words out loud was just too much. Turning away from Kaj and Christine, Eve let out a horrifying cry of despair, long and drawn out. Her voice sounded as if it belonged to a wounded animal rather than a human being, guttural and filled with anguish. She crawled away into a corner of the cell, scraping her hands against the bars ineffectually.

Dead, dead, dead. Eve wished she was dead too. She couldn’t keep on hoping that they were somehow alive. The worst thing was that they had probably never known how much they had meant to her. Robyn had been her best friend, someone who treated her as if she actually mattered. She’d never known that kind of friendship in anyone except her younger sister Angel. Robyn had been like a second sister to her. And as for Edward… Edward. She loved him so much that it physically hurt. Before she’d met him, she’d had no idea that she was capable of loving someone so intensely. Her feelings for him had consumed her like a fire. She had never felt that way about anyone. Certainly not Tristan. Remembering the young man’s name, she recalled the romance she’d had when she was sixteen. How innocent and foolish it now seemed compared to her adoration for Edward.

She was still crying, curling into a tiny ball, her hoarse, wordless cries loud in the otherwise quiet cell. She hated that everyone could hear her. She hated in particular that Henry could no doubt hear her. How it would please him, to see her cast down so low. But she couldn’t stop. Her voice finally formed a coherent word amidst her half-screams. “Edward. Edward.”

~~~

Sitting alone on the floor of her tiny cell, Rosalind was beginning to feel like a caged animal. She felt as if the thick black bars enclosing her were steadily closing in on her, leaving her no room to breathe. Her arms were wrapped tightly about her knees as she rocked backwards and forwards, trying to calm herself. She could feel anger bubbling up inside her, threatening to brim over. How dare Hunter play such games with her? Who had made him the judge of what was to be done with her life? There was one thing that Rosalind could not stand, and that was feeling powerless. She needed to be in control of her own fate.

Rosalind raised her head as she heard footsteps coming towards her. Two of the redcoats had come to check up on her. She looked at them with open dislike, her eyes blazing. It would have been far wiser to simply keep her head down, but from a very young age she had always sworn to herself that she’d never be humbled by anyone.

“Well, look at this,” the first man said, approaching the bars of her cell with a wide grin. “That’s the one the captain’s picked out then, is it?” This comment provoked an uncomfortable laugh from his colleague, who stayed back from the bars, and eyed Rosalind as if she was a dangerous beast of some kind.

Rosalind glared at them both, wanting to find a way to punish them. But as it was, she was a prisoner. Whatever impertinence they threw her way, there was nothing she could do to prevent it. All the same, she scrambled up to her feet and adopted her usual confident stance, shoulders thrown back, head held high, and she strode towards the bars. “How grateful I am for this kind visit,” she said, sarcastically, “but I’m afraid I must require you both to leave, immediately – and you in particular can take your filthy mind back to the gutter where it belongs.” She indicated the first man with an imperious nod of her head.

This was a mistake. His eyes flashed with anger. “How dare you, you pirate scum!” he reached through the bars and gripped her chin roughly, shaking her, his nails digging into her skin. “Coming over all high and mighty! As if you have leave to speak to your captors!”

Rosalind wrenched herself away from him, taking a step backwards, sneering at him. She should have ended it then. But she took it a step further, and spat on the floor before the redcoat, indicating very clearly her disgust towards him. Events moved very quickly after that. She heard the jangling of keys, the door of her cell being opened.

The younger soldier, who had remained silent, simply watched as the older man walked into the cell, his footsteps heavy and ominous. His mouth shaped unspoken words, as if he wanted to object, but he raised no quarrel, and looked on as Rosalind was slammed against the wall by her throat. She choked, and the redcoat laughed in her face.

“Not so clever now, are you?” Still gripping her by the neck, he slammed her again, knocking her head. She cried out in pain, a strange, strangled sound, tears streaming from her eyes. “Think you know it all, eh? Think you’re something special? Well, now have a look at yourself! Worthless scum.”

“Roberts!” the younger man finally raised his voice. “I rather think the captain doesn’t want her to be touched.” His tone wobbled, as if he was afraid. Roberts turned round, releasing Rosalind suddenly, dropping her down to the floor. For a moment she lay unmoving, crumpled in a heap. She could hear more words being exchanged now, but her hearing did not seem to be working properly. Voices faded in and out. Slowly, she dragged herself up and tottered to her feet. Her head felt heavy.

“She’s a pirate,” the older man spat, still turned away from Rosalind. “You think anyone cares if she’s a bit bruised?” That was when Rosalind suddenly launched her fist into his cheek, the blow accurate and sharp despite her own injury. The man swore, and turned on her.

~~~

“No! No, let me go! Let me go!” Rosalind screamed as the two redcoats dragged her along the corridor, kicking her feet and dragging her heels. She struggled to be free, but they had her arms pinned behind her. She had assaulted a soldier, and so it had been decreed, with the permission of an officer, than she should be taken to the captain. “Take your hands off me! You have no right to touch me!” She was becoming frantic as they pulled her along to an unknown doom. She had no idea if Hunter would carry through with his original intentions towards her. Death, such a desirable prospect only a little while ago, now seemed terrifying – especially the method of death that was given to pirates. Hanging. A miserable death, a criminal’s death. Desperation made her use her last resort. “If you had any idea who I am you wouldn’t treat me like this! I am the daughter of Lord Cathair Eagle!”

It made her feel sick, using the name of the person she despised most in the world. She had not spoken his name for eleven long years, and bringing his memory back to the surface sickened her. But being his daughter meant that she was nobility, born and bred – although she made no mention of the fact that he had disinherited both her and Cairbre after they’d run away.

The older redcoat burst out laughing. “You hear that, Smith? She says she’s a lady.” Her proclamation seemed to make no difference, and they soon approached the captain’s cabin. Roberts knocked smartly on the door, before opening it, stepping in and shoving Rosalind down to the floor, onto her knees, her head lolling. She heard words about apologies for interrupting… bringing in a troublemaker… assaulting a solider… meaningless jabbering. Her head hurt indescribably, but she somehow managed to bring it up as she knelt there, towards Hunter, so that she could look him in the eye.

She could just about make him out, blurred as her vision was, sitting and holding a glass of brandy. She could see his dark hair and flashing eyes, his cunning expression. Somehow, in her current state, Rosalind looked unimaginably majestic, even though the skirts of her gown were crumpled and her hair was tumbled around her face. Suddenly it occurred to her that when Hunter had seen her last she had been blonde, and she wondered if he found that confusing. She felt as if she had partaken of too much strong ale. Nothing seemed… acute. She could scarcely focus on anything.

It was then that she realised that one of the redcoats was demanding to know her name. Her blue eyes hazy, and fixed on the space in front of her, as if she was gazing out at a distant horizon that no one else could see, Rosalind took a snatch of breath. “Rosalind Eagle,” she murmured, before swaying, and collapsing down on the floor, her eyes fluttering closed, her black hair obscuring her face. All she saw was darkness.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10th, 2010, 9:41 pm 
Mageling
Mageling

[*lurk* ...just thought I'd let you know :P]

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11th, 2010, 3:16 pm 
Istari
Istari

[[Well hello there LDM ;)]]

It's twisting on a thread

+ COME RAISE THE DEAD +

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11th, 2010, 4:01 pm 
Maia
Maia

((Oh man. I want to post, but I have been waiting for Calloniel (PD) to respond to my last post, or any one too. . . . Every time i post in any of these I feel I am ignored. How am I supposed to be part of the story.))

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11th, 2010, 4:17 pm 

[ Misa - I'm sorry you feel that way! I can completely understand since alot of participants have a large number of character who are related to one another. Perhaps it's an idea to get rid of your boat and integrate on one of the three others? Four ships is really alot. By having more interaction with the others I'm sure you won't feel ignored. That's not the intention of any of us, I'm sure! :hug: ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11th, 2010, 4:27 pm 
Maia
Maia

((Thanks Will. I would but I can't think of a reason she would leave her ship. . . . Any idea's?))

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2010, 11:15 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

[bumpeth... I believe before my post I'm waiting for... umm. someone to post. I forget who. :yes:]

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2010, 11:40 pm 
Maia
Maia

((I know your waiting for some one Calloniel (PD), its funny cause I am waiting for you.))

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2010, 8:01 pm 

[ Wait, hold on! Since when did this close? :blink:
That's not fair! :( I didn't join the new RPGs to keep these alive!

Never shall we die, right?

Come on guys.. we can't let this die! I had so much fun! If a new RPg can be started, than this may survive as well! ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2010, 10:50 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

[color=burlywood]This one is particularly hard to accept, I knows it. But Wenny dropped out of the RPs so... she played such a crucial part in the RP so... the only option really is death... :confused:

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24th, 2010, 5:32 am 

[ I know, she dropped out quite a while ago. But we still were able to continue without her.. so I don't see the point here. There were some great storylines going on here, the only thing that needs to be done is to post more regurlarly so that it becomes more of a fluent story. ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next