Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2010, 12:22 pm 
Hobbit at Heart
Hobbit at Heart

Yeah, I will join. But you can start without me and I will jump in. ;)

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2010, 2:42 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

[K, Smeag & Lothy, just jump in whenever/wherever you can. :) and I'll mark down your 2nd charrie, Tur]

*is listening to Titanic theme to get inspired….*

[Alrighty, folks, let’s start! :D]

The crowd gathered on the dock was loud and boisterous this fine (‘though a bit chill) morning. There were men and women, old and young saying their last goodbyes to loved ones or excitedly talking about embarking to be with loved ones. Some were tearful at the departure, some were happy and confident that their beloved ones were going to a better life. The noise was deafening from quiet murmuring between young couples to the yells of the sailors and small children. The whole place hummed. It was also somewhat difficult to find a place to stand let alone walk with such crowds. However, it was hard for anyone to focus on any of the negatives when the overall atmosphere was alive with anticipation and joy.

In the middle of it all stood the ship which had excited such keen attention and commotion, the R.M.S. Titanic. She was magnificently large and splendid. The sight inspired awe in all; it marked the height of man’s greatest achievements - something akin to the Tower of Babel. She was just moments away from embarking on her most important voyage… her maiden voyage.

Smack dab in the center of all the hustle and bustle over this wondrous vessel stood Jimmy Broden with the two most important people in his life, Vivian, his fiancé, and Adrian, his life-long friend. Compared with everything that was going on around them, he felt very small. However, at the same time he also had that overwhelming sensation that he was going to be apart of a small piece of history just being able to not only ride but serve on such a wonderful ship. Holding the few worldly possessions they had in a few small cases, he stood, Viv’s arm looped in his, gazing up at the ship. It soared into the sky so far that he had to tip his head quite a ways back in order to take it all in. When his eyes came back down to earth, he glanced over at Viv and then Adrian and grinned. His brown eyes twinkled at the adventure that waited them. He couldn’t think of who he would rather share it with than the two people who meant the most to him. The best part was, on the other side of this adventure was America - the land of opportunity. He could see his future now: happy, married to Vivian, owning a thriving business, being able to do his passion every day - cook.

“Ready?” he asked after a deep breath. It was a loaded question, of course, there seemed to be so many new things they would need to be ready for during and at the end of this voyage.

Before he could press forward with his comrades, a angelic little girl in a dirty red dress ran in front of them, weaving her way through the crowds to her mother. Watching her as her mother scooped her up, he smiled. Her eyes were large and she was pointing at the ship saying something to which her mother nodded. It was very likely, he thought, that they were experiencing the same feeling he was. Perhaps America was their new beginning as well. He studied the young girl, wondering who she would grow up to be, what she would do with her life. So many other people from so many different walks of life excited the same curiosity in him. He didn't even realize he was daydreaming until Vivian shook him awake again.

----------------------------

Lacey Chambers tried her best to push through the crowd to get closer to boarding the ship. She desperately wanted to get on and explore it and… and everything. However, for the most part, the people in front of her didn’t take the hint and remained where they were. She impatiently looked back at her father who only chuckled at her enthusiasm.

“Patience is a virtue,” Tori jumped in to gently scold when her father didn’t. 'Though she was excited too, she showed more composer about it. It wasn’t ladylike to go bouncing around, after all.

Lacey pouted and stepped back away from her sister and threaded her arm through her father’s. “Do you really think it’s as splendid as they say?” she whispered up to him, her hazel eyes shining under her broad, decorated hat. He looked down at her with one of his endearing smiles and whispered back, “it’s probably even better.” he enjoyed making his daughters smile and right now, seeing Lacey so elated, his heart was delighted as well.

“I’m probably never going to want to leave it,” Lacey sighed and gazed up at the ship, twirling her parasol with her spare hand. Romantic thoughts flew through her head and she curiously glanced around the crowd, her eyes stopping on a few particularly well-dressed gentlemen who were pleasing to her.

“Are you quite alright, April-Grace? I haven’t heard much from you.” Mr. Chambers looked back at the maid who was carrying just a few of their things. Most of their trunks were already onboard waiting for them in their cabins.

[okay, so I feel it wasn't a super good starting post but... you know. Take it and run from here, guys. btw, I hope you don't mind that I godmodded your charries a little, Goldy. ;)]

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2010, 3:28 pm 
Maia
Maia

(Yayyyy, it's starting! <333 :-D )

“Jimmy?”

Vivian shook Jimmy’s arm very gently, a smile creeping up on her, laughter filling her blue eyes. “You’re daydreaming. We’d better get a move on, otherwise we’ll never board the ship at this rate.” She wasn’t really scolding him seriously; her entire expression was one of acute happiness, happiness of a kind she wouldn’t have previously thought possible. Her entire heart was singing with the knowledge that soon she would be embarking on the journey of a lifetime, with the man she was going to spend the rest of her life with.

They’d planned so much for this day, spent so many nights talking and talking about their voyage to America. Up until now it had seemed just like a wonderful, beautiful dream, even when she’d bought her ticket. But no, it was true, it was really happening to them, and there was no going back from here. Even the fact that Vivian would be traveling in second class, and Jimmy would be traveling in steerage, did not crush her in the least. They’d find ways of seeing each other, she knew they would. Nothing and no one could separate them.

Vivian adjusted the shoulder strap of her bag, which was digging into her slightly. She wound her arm tighter around Jimmy’s and smiled up at him, her expression filled with radiance. Her long, black hair was swept back from her face, twisted into a loose bun, and she wore her best dress, which was sky blue and trimmed with white. She had made it herself, since back home dressmaking had been her day job; at night she’d worked as a cleaner in her father’s restaurant. Just the memory of cleaning the tabletops every night and clearing away the plates was enough to make her smile – because it was how she’d met Jimmy, as he’d been a waiter.

She stretched up on her tiptoes, leaning up to kiss Jimmy on the cheek. Very soon they’d be married, and their new life together would unfold before them like the pages in a storybook – no, this was better than any fairytale, better than any dream she’d ever clung to. This was reality. “Let’s get going,” she said. She looked over at Adrian, grinning. “We’re definitely ready, aren’t we? It’s only our Jimmy who’s hovering like a moth.” She was very gently teasing him; she loved finding things to laugh about. There hadn’t been much happiness in her life, not until she’d met Jimmy.

~~~

April-Grace looked up upon hearing Mr. Chambers’ voice, interrupting her from her thoughts. A wry smile played upon her lips in reaction to her master’s remark; it was true that usually, it was quite difficult to stop her from talking. However, for once she felt oddly subdued. The sight of the Titanic, soaring above her in all of it’s stately glory, was slightly humbling; it made her feel small and insignificant. In the presence of such a magnificent ship, it was hard to feel that she mattered at all.

Also, the fact that she was carrying bags that belonged to Lacey, Victoria and their father, as well as her own, didn’t help matters much. They were quite small, fortunately, but April-Grace couldn’t help feeling that the Chambers could easily have managed carrying these possessions themselves. Such a thought was hardly suitable to comment upon out loud, however – the likes of her had to know their place, although this was something that April-Grace found rather difficult most of the time.

Deciding to make the best of things, April-Grace stepped forward to Mr. Chambers’ side. Ever since employing her, after she’d attempted to rob him, he had showed her remarkable kindness; there was a lot to be grateful for. So she smiled at him and replied, “I’m quite fine, sir. Don’t concern yourself over me; you should be happy to have a respite from my usual chattering.”

Out of the corners of her blue-grey eyes, April-Grace glanced from Lacey to Tori. Whereas Lacey seemed positively shining with excitement, Tori had obviously decided to keep more of a ladylike composure. The two sisters certainly weren’t dull to work for, especially considering the disagreements they’d had in the past. Lacey’s excitement was slightly contagious, and as April-Grace let herself look up at the grand ship again, she felt a quiver of anticipation. She wondered what it would be like aboard the ship. She’d have quarters in first class, since she would be attending to Lacey and Tori for the duration of her trip. That was something else to be grateful for. If she didn’t work for the Chambers, then she’d have probably traveled in steerage.

April-Grace’s attention was soon diverted away from the ship, as she spotted a particularly well-dressed young gentleman standing nearby in the crowd, glancing in the direction of Lacey. He was obviously a first class passenger, like the Chambers; April-Grace observed him, disapproving of both the cigarette he was smoking, and the arrogant way he raised his eyebrows when someone tried to push past him to catch a closer glimpse of the ship. “Will you just look at that disgraceful young man,” April-Grace heard herself remarking. However, he was now walking in their direction, and so she forced herself to hold her tongue.

Frederick Rose, elegant in his fashionable London attire, approached the Chambers, a languid smile on his features. He was blonde, with rather charming features; however, no one looking at him could miss the fact that he was a thoroughly spoilt young man, used to getting his own way in life. As he closed the gap between himself and the Chambers sisters, he inclined his head ever so slightly, his blue eyes twinkling.

“Isn’t this waiting around odious?” he enquired, his accent crisp and clipped, nodding his head to indicate the crowds. “I rather think that as passengers with first class accommodation, we should be allowed on board the ship first. It’s rather too much to be forced to hover with the lower ranks.”

April-Grace’s eyebrows shot upwards at this pompous speech, and simply couldn’t help herself from piping up, her New York accent very pronounced in her irritation. “That’s a rather narrow way of looking at things,” she retorted, her expression one of stone. Frederick’s head turned as he was distracted from admiring Lacey and Tori, and he spotted April-Grace standing beside Mr. Chambers.

His heart suddenly started thudding quite fast as he took in the sight of the exquisitely pretty girl; he looked at her delicate features, her curling blonde hair… and then noticed her somewhat inferior attire, the fact that she was weighed down with bags. A slight sneer curled up on his lips as he realised that she was nothing more than a common maid, who had no right to address him in such a manner.

“I don’t believe I asked your opinion,” he said, coldly, turning away from her. He nodded at Mr. Chambers, deciding it was only proper to introduce himself. “Frederick Rose, sir, at your service.”

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2010, 7:17 pm 
Maia
Maia

(Yeah!!!!!))

Riona O'Brien shifted as she held both of her and her brothers bags. And their one suitcase stood beside her. "Hurry up Toryn." she mutterd in her Irish accent. He had gone off to make sure which entrance they would be useing, and hopelfully, find out if they could get in early because of her condition. She shifted again as she felt the bags slipping from her grasp. They could have had more bags, but they only owned the two and the suit case, so all they had were stuffed in them, making them heavyier. She was just about to drop the bags when she heard footsteps ruch to her.

Toryn Barrington ran up to his younger sister. "Riona, for heavens sake, put those bags down. What are you thinking girl?" He took the bags from her with ease and set the suitcase on its feet. "You should be sitting, being as pregnant as you are." He sighed as she glared at him.

"I'm not delicate, remember that. I may be 7 months pregnant, but i can still help you." She muttered.

"Yes, yes I know, and speaking of that, I was able to find out our entrance, but they won't let us in early." He saw her smile at him. "You were right. But the good news is the entrance is close to here so we won't have to move to wait to get on."

Riona nodded and looked at the ship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2010, 10:33 pm 
Elf
Elf

Nicholas Gordon looked up in disbelief at the Titanic. He had heard that the ship was to be massive, but this vessel truly deserved it's name. It was a masterpeice, Gordon decided. His father would have loved to see it. But old Edward Gordon was long dead, and his son was returning home on the behemoth, to leave the cities of Europe behind him.

Pressed by the crowd, Gordon picked up his cromach, a Scottish walking stick of ebony and ivory that had belonged to his grandfather, took his suitcase in his other hand, and moved with the flow of his fellow passengers. His plain grey tweed suit did little to show him as a second-class ticket holder, but it allowed him to occasionally jostle someone aside without causing quite as much fuss as it could have.

'Home' he thought. That was where the Titanic was taking him. Home to the Canadian counties where he had made his home. He would walk into the farmhouse, greet his mother, and spend the rest of his days tending the fields. It was not the life he had been living, but it was all he wanted. A farm, a good harvest, and a live filled with friends and family. Grunting, he was shoved accidentally by a man built like a Hereford bull towards the second-class entrance, where he nearly bowled over a red-haired man with a beard accompanied by a heavily pregnant woman, who, he assumed, was his wife. Steadying the man, he tipped his hat and inclined his head. "Apologies, Sir. My fault entirely." He said hurriedly. Then, after a moment's pause, "Nicholas Gordon." He said, intoducing himself.

~~~

Walt Harris was just another American in the crowd, albiet more excited than many of them. The Titanic was a luxury, and he was sure that it would make itself work the ridiculous price he had paid to get the bloody ticket. Fitting his cap more snugly on his head, he slung his shoulder bag over his back, tapping the breast pocket of his waistcoat to ensure that his vital papers were secure. Then, he moved towards the uniformed personnel who stood by the boarding ramps, standing idly by. A young lad about his age nodded companionably, a gesture that Walt returned.

"Excited? Best ship in the fleet."

Walt nodded. "I've heard. Will she sail as good as she looks?" He asked, grinning.

The officer laughed. "You can bet your life on it. She'll get you safely to America, I'll wager. In less than two weeks, too."

"I hope so. I've got things that need doing back home."

The officer grinned even more broadly. "You and me both, mister..."

"Harris. Walt Harris." He said, and shook the man's hand.

"Harry Johnston." The employee said, and so the conversation continued.

Son of Bellatrix

Banner by Pandora

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2010, 10:59 pm 
Maia
Maia

Toryn nodded to the man. "No harm done Mr. Gordon." HE said with a bright smile, he and his sister wanted a new life, and it would do no good holding a grudge where it wasn't needed. "I'm Toryn Barrington. And this pretty, yet foolish and stubborn thing is my younger sister."

Riona looked at the man that had bumped into her brother. She had seen the other man push by first though. She smiled at him as she stood holding her hand out. "Riona O'Brien." she introduces herself. "and forget my brothers comments about me, I may be pregnant, but I am not weak, he tends to think I should rest more often."

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 29th, 2010, 9:08 am 
Elf
Elf

Nicholas shifted his cromach to his opposite hand and shook Riona's. "Pleasure to meet you both." He said, smiling and removing his hat. "Magnificent, isn't she?" He commented, gesturing to the ship. "I've never cared for the sea myself, but I do think that I shall enjoy this voyage, at least."

Son of Bellatrix

Banner by Pandora

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2010, 5:42 pm 

Anthony Thomas Dilane beheld the R.M.S. Titanic with a critical look. He stood quite still in the busy harbour, his brow slightly furrowed and an inquiring look lay in his grey eyes. A lazy smile was on his face, which betrayed Anthony's friendly nature. Dressed in an expensive three piece suit, though not with the usual accompanying bow tie and top hat and carrying a large suitcase himself, he could not be mistaken for anyone else than one of first class.

He tore his eyes from the enormous ship when he heard a squeak next to him. A young woman in a plain black dress was gaping in astonishment at the ship. Anthony couldn't help but smile at the excitement of his late wife's maid. "You almost look like you're going to explode."

------

"She's breathtaking.." was all what Julie McGee managed to exclaim. Before her lay a ship as she'd never seen before, never dreamt of. So large, so beautiful amd majestic.. Her freckled face glowed with excitement as she greedily took in the scene. She had tried to conceal how much she'd enjoyed their journey already from her master since she knew that he was still mourning but now she didn't succeed.

"I just can't believe that men ever made this," she sighed with a certain childish naivety, in response to her master's teasing remark. Then she threw him an apologetic look. "Sir, please, let me carry that suitcase." She propped her small bundle, which contained her own possessions, under her arm and offered her two free hands. "You're not fit and the journey has surely tired you.."

Anthony swiftly turned to his maid with a strict look on his pale face. "Miss Julie McGee, I took you with me for your company and help. But do not fuss me or I will have to send you back!" He was silent for a moment and then glanced at the overcrowded harbour and gangways before continuing in a softer tone: "We have to find the right entrance.. Follow me, and stay close to me girl."

Julie had bowed her head, her red locks falling for her eyes, and quietly followed Mr Dilane. She was not sure if he would ever live up to his threat, but only the thought that Anthony would send her back made her shiver. It was Julie's dream to see the world and her concern and affection for her master had made it an easy decision to leave everything she knew behind.

"This is the right place.." Anthony said, as soon as they'd reached the right gangway. They were now only surrounded by the rich, who were lucky enough to have first class tickets. Julie looked around, admiring the beautiful dresses of two sisters, who were standing closeby. Julie's eye also fell on a blond girl, who seemed to be packed with bags and lugage, obviously the maid of the two sisters. She smiled shortly at her and then waited patiently to board the Titanic, the most magnificent ship of its time.

-------

William strolled over the docks, a large leather sack thrown over his shoulder, not able to keep his eyes off the majestic ship. He had seen many freighters and ships in his life, as he lived near to the large port of Rotterdam, but never had he seen any ship like this.
With a self-assured smile he made his way through the crowd; nothing could stop him, fate was on his side. Being able to buy this ticket and to board this grand ship seemed only the first step to fortune and a new life.

"Oh nee, I'm sorry.. " Still daydreaming, Will had wandered to the far side of the docks and deep in thought he'd bumped into a girl with loads of bags in her arms. He quickly dropped his own sack and dropped to his knees to help the blonde with collecting the lugage. He ignored the disapproving sounds and looks of those around him which only seemed to make him smile even more, and helped the girl to her feet. "My apologies, miss.." And after a frivolous bow, William picked up his bag and left.

[ Lol, I know that both my characters kinda run into yours Goldy, but I thought it would be handy to have some characters already acquinted with one another. ;) ]

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2010, 11:40 pm 
Lady of Gondolin
Lady of Gondolin

Adrian could not believe that he was actually here, in front of this beautiful ship. It had been his dream for some time to move to a place of freedom, but it had only been that. A dream. Now, with his best friend Jimmy and Jimmy's lovely fiance, Vivian, he was finally achieving something so much bigger than himself and he could barely contain himself.

His entire being was practically vibrating as the three moved along the deck towards the grand vessel. "Of course we are. Come on Jimmy, it is not every day we get to sail to America. Stop staring and let's get moving!" Reaching out he ruffled the dark locks of his friend, pecked Vivian's cheek chastely and with an excited gait headed towards the entrance with his ticket in hand.

-----

Lifting the violin to his chin, he adjusted his bow slightly and lowered his head before following the suit of his fellow players. He had been settled on the ship for a few days now as he was trained on all aspects of appearance and demeanor. As an employee of the S.S Titanic he was supposed to uphold a certain character, especially since he was of a lower class than those he would be playing for.

Liam was used to being told how to act and who to be, so he took the direction with ease. As long as he got to play than this trip would be a pleasant one as far as he could tell. He would spend his nights playing for the first class passengers before moving down to the lowers classes where he could play what he wanted more freely.

-----

Iris could hear the people around her, the whispers of astonishment but she could care not. It seemed that to be a woman without an escort or any family by her side was scandalous...Pathetic she thought to herself. Thank goodness she was off to America where she could ignore the stares and whispers. Now all that she needed was to hurry or else she would miss the docking and would have to wait until the next ship came around before she could finally be free.

Although it wasn't really freedom that she was looking for, it was something much more important to her. Iris was looking for her family, the family that had abandoned her for reasons she knew not, though she was hellbent on figuring it out.

-----

[Sorry it is a shoddy post, but I will add the two 1st class ladies later. I've run out of muse :-(]

The waves that C R A S H E D upon
The R O C K S that you were trying to step along
And in my head I heard them play a S O N G

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21st, 2010, 1:49 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

A kiss on the cheek, an uninvited pat on the head, a joke and tease or two here and there and they were ready to go. Jimmy’s attention had been successfully diverted from his surroundings and he was now completely prepared to get on with this. Adieu, Southampton. Adieu, Europe. None of them really knew when they would be able to come back… if they ever would at all. For him, it was absolutely fine. He had nothing holding him here at all especially considering his fiancé and friend were coming with him to start this new life. For Vivian, though, he felt a pang of remorse. She was leaving someone behind. The goodbye with her father had been heartbreaking and, though she showed no signs of regret right now, he knew she had to feel some sort of sorrow over leaving this place.

In an attempt to shake off these depressing thoughts, Jim decided to only focus on the future. That bright, beautiful thing that was becoming increasingly closer. Soon it would no longer be labeled “future” but “present”.

He pulled his cap down and adjusted the antique, leather suitcase he carried. It was like trying to perform real magic to carry all of these things at once as well as keep one arm available for his fiancé. He was sure it was a next to impossible feat he was achieving right now. However, he would not have changed any of it even if Tyche herself had offered him all the wealth in the world. He was proud of where they were, who they were and where they were going.

Jim and Vivian followed closely behind Adrian. The gangplank for the lower class was packed tightly and it was difficult to make headway through the crowds. For a brief space of time, even, the only thing separating them from the water far below were the shaky wooden boards. Jim gazed above them and to the sides of them; he could see the upper classes entering onto the higher decks. They weren’t crowded nor rushed inside. They didn’t have to endure the lice checking nor any of the other humiliating inspections the lower class had been put through in order to get this far. Sighing, he looked back to his friends. In a few more minutes they had finally passed all obstacles large and tiny and they were finally, finally aboard the ship of dreams. Where to begin? He looked around, his eyes meeting both Viv’s and Adrian’s. All around them was scattered chaos as people were bumping into each other and just trying to find their cabins and their places on this vessel. Inching step by step they were soon out of the brunt of the crowds and they could properly take in everything..

“Come on,” One of the greatest things about taking a voyage was getting to wave goodbye to all of the ones staying behind, no? At least, that’s what Jimmy thought and he wanted to take part in it. Luggage still in hand, he started making his way to the top deck so they could stand on the railing and wave. Farewell, England! Bon voyage, Titanic!

Mr. Chambers chuckled blandly at April-Grace’s first comment before once again turning the brunt of his attention to his daughters. His eyes seemed to always be focused on them… same with his heart. He doted on them unceasingly which was, on occasion, somewhat harmful.

Immediately, Lacey’s attention was enraptured by the attractive blonde-haired man who approached them. She fidgeted with her gown and her hat, hoping that they appeared acceptable. Pushing a stray, curled strand of hair off her forehead she smiled at him and eagerly agreed with all he said. Though her tongue was tied, she nodded her head raptly.

Tori, on the other hand, tried hard to hide the look of amusement on her face. April-Grace’s comments were, no doubt, disrespectful to her betters. However, they struck Tori’s odd sense of humor as exceptionally entertaining… and true too. As a matter of principle, Tori took the girl aside and gently reprimanded her, “you shouldn’t talk like that in public.” Image. That’s what it was about. Though she herself found it amusing, Tori didn’t want it to reflect badly on her father’s image. She looked back at the young man as he introduced himself to her father. He was charming in his features, however, she was afraid that was as far as it went.

A steady, firm handshake was in order as Frederick introduced himself to Mr. Chambers. “Arlington Chambers,” the middle-aged man returned. “My daughters, Lacey,” he motioned with his eyes towards the dirty blonde at his side, “and Victoria.” He didn’t bother to introduce April-Grace. After all, she was only a servant girl: a maid to his daughters. And she had already gotten quite enough of her say in to suit anyone.

Leaving April-Grace behind, Victoria came forward upon hearing her name mentioned. She smiled politely but besides that her features were impassive. She could already tell she wouldn’t be particularly fond of this boy.

“He’s English,” she suddenly heard Lacey whisper into her ear. It was said with obvious excitement. Lacey had, of course, taken some minor liking to English boys during their stay here in London.

“She’s a grand vessel,” Mr. Chambers went on to comment to Frederick, “mighty fine.” his eyes roved the vast amount of steel sitting in front of them. Somehow it marvelously floated on the water just as easily as a cork might.

“Father,” Tori politely said when there was a time for her to step back into the conversation. “We can go on now, I think.”

“Indeed. Splendid,” he drawled and shortly they began to work their way through the crowds towards the first class ramp. As they filtered through the lower classes they began to integrate more into their “own kind” which was at least relieving for Mr. Chambers. He didn’t much relish the thought of all the vagrants eying his daughters as they milled around with nothing but mischief to do.

“Why is it that you would actually desire to leave such a beautiful place, Mr. Rose?” Lacey inquired as she walked beside him up the gangway.

[:erm: so-so post... but a post nevertheless. :) btw, sorry of Tori is gonna be a bit confusing here for a while... I'm really trying to figure out what kind of person I want her to be. :P]

-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2010, 9:26 am 
Maia
Maia

April-Grace looked on, glaring disapprovingly, as Lacey smiled and fiddled with her hair, agreeing with everything the loathsome Mr. Rose was saying. She suppressed the urge to say something biting, knowing that she couldn’t; Mr. Chambers would give her a severe telling off if she rebuked one of his beloved daughters. Shifting the weight of the bags she carried on her arms, she raised her eyebrows as Tori took her aside and reprimanded her herself. She could just tell that the older of the sisters had found her comments about Mr. Rose funny, but she didn’t want April-Grace to be a bad reflection on her father in company.

“Yes, Miss Chambers,” April-Grace replied, her voice filled with the false ring of obedient innocence, her expression as dark as a winter storm. Sometimes – no, in fact, very often – she found it increasingly grating working for the indulged Chambers daughters. They wanted for nothing, and they were the apple of their father’s eye. And here she was, carrying their bags for them and being sternly told off if she so much as raised one of her own opinions!

For a moment, April-Grace’s attention was drawn away from Toni when a fairly wealthy-looking man and a young lady who seemed to be his maid passed them by through the crowds. The girl had red hair and freckled skin, and smiled at April-Grace as she walked past. Always sympathetic to other people in service, April-Grace returned the fleeting friendly expression and smiled back, before suddenly finding herself knocked down to the ground, her bags scattering.

“What in the world…” April-Grace scrambled up to her knees, her brow furrowing, reaching for the bags, desperate that they should not be stolen in her current flustered state. She looked up at the young man who’d accidentally bumped into her, seemingly in the middle of daydreaming. He had dark hair and pleasant features, and from his accent did not seem to be English or American. He was smiling, despite the obvious disapproval of those around him. April-Grace gratefully allowed him to help her gather her bags and then help her to her feet.

“Thank you,” she said, genuinely grateful that he had stayed to help instead of clearing off after barging into her. “I’d advise you to look where you’re going in future, sir!” She smiled at him, somehow not quite able to stay angry. After he bowed playfully, picked up his bag and departed, April-Grace found herself watching him walk away, before she was alerted by an unkind laugh.

Her blue-grey gaze switched back towards Frederick Rose, the young gentleman she had already sworn to despise forever. An expression of amusement flickered markedly across his smug, fair features; he had apparently found April-Grace falling over and dropping all her bags funny. She inwardly seethed, scowling at him without reserve. She’d obviously missed the conversation that had been going on whilst she’d been distracted, because now Mr. Rose seemed on quite amicable terms with the Chambers family. He knew Lacey and Tori’s names, and walked alongside them as they now progressed towards the first class ramp that would take them on board the ship.

Frederick glanced towards Lacey, hearing her question as they walked side by side up the ramp. Now that they were walking amongst the sophisticated passengers, he felt more at his ease. How despicable to have had to linger with the lower classes. He smiled at Lacey, his expression bright and dazzling. In a gentleman-like manner, he reached out and rested a gloved hand in the crook of Lacey’s elbow, so that she did not overbalance or trip.

“Why, adventure, of course,” he replied, readily. “I’ve longed to see America for years. I intend to have adventures the like of which Francis Drake would have envied! When I return home, I would rather like to have the odd tale to regale my family with, you know. And of course I don’t doubt all my friends will be positively green with envy – most would have come with me, you know, but family commitments and whatnot, they get in the way. How troublesome! Still, I can bring back souvenirs.” His tone was animated. Despite his conceit, Frederick could be a very charming young man when it suited him. When fixing his attention upon someone, it was he was beaming blazing sunlight on them. His behaviour towards Lacey certainly was nothing short of sunny.

They were making their way towards the deck now. Frederick looked up ahead of them; the maid, April-Grace, was walking alongside Mr. Chambers. For such a pretty girl, she really did have dreadful manners. Still, what else was to be expected from her kind? It was a waste, to be sure; a girl like her given such looks. Frederick’s brow crumpled for a minute in irritation; she seemed to have eyes in the back of her head, for she looked over her shoulder at him and positively glowered at him, as if she’d known he was gazing upon her.

Frederick looked back towards Lacey instead. By all accounts, she seemed to be a pleasant girl, and she did not go wanting for looks, either. And the thing that pleased him most was that she seemed eager to please him. “Onwards and upwards, Miss Chambers!” he exclaimed cheerfully as they approached the deck. “Are you looking forward to seeing your home again?”

~~~

Vivian gasped as she, Jimmy and Adrian reached the top deck. It was positively crammed with people trying to find their bearings, bumping into each other and looking around, craning their heads to take in every detail of their new surroundings. She found that a beam was stretching across her features, as she tried to keep up with Jimmy, carrying her one bag. Her breathing suddenly felt somewhat constricted, as she was overwhelmed by excitement. This was it! They were here, aboard the ship that would take them to their new home. She absolutely couldn’t wait to see America. It had been her dream to go there for so long that she could scarcely believe that it was now real. In this moment, she didn’t have time to feel sorrowful about leaving her father behind. Their goodbye had been painful, for sure – but he’d promised her they’d see each other again.

“Jimmy!” Vivian heard herself say. “Look! Look at all of this!” Her voice sounded odd, slightly high, as it never did. Her face was bright with excitement, brimming with new hope, her pale cheeks flushed pink. She almost resembled a different person; she was usually so serious and reserved. So many things didn’t seem to matter now. It didn’t matter that they were leaving a country that was their home, it didn’t matter that they would lodge in different classes, Jimmy in steerage, Vivian in second class. All that mattered was that their dream of a new life, away from poverty and despair, was beginning.

As they reached the railings so that they could wave to those left behind, Vivian stopped and put her arms about Jimmy’s shoulders and hugged him, ignoring a few disapproving stares the gesture provoked. She was his fiancé – what was improper about demonstrating her love for him? Pulling back, she smiled up at him. “Just wait,” she whispered. “Before you know it we’ll be in America, and we’ll have a new home all of our own. And I’ll be Mrs. Vivian Broden.”

The tightness in her throat should have been a warning, as should the slight rasp in her voice as her chest constricted. Her hand went up to her throat, her brow furrowing very slightly. Vivian had always suffered from occasional breathing problems, but they appeared so suddenly and so rarely that it was always a surprise. The over-excitement of this momentous occasion and provoked one of her asthma attacks.

She gasped, her hands suddenly digging into Jimmy’s shoulders, her eyes wide with panic as she looked from him to Adrian, as if seeking assistance. She tried to steady her breathing as she inhaled and exhaled hoarsely. Her asthma frightened her, and she didn’t know how to calm down. It apparently hadn’t been sensible to get so excited about the voyage, especially as she was always so sensible and level-headed.

“Help!” she rasped between gulps of breath, clinging to Jimmy, “help me!”

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2010, 7:17 pm 
Elven Shieldmaiden for Christ
Elven Shieldmaiden for Christ

*pops in* ((Just a quick question, but would it be too late to jump in? I'd create my character and post tonight or tomorrow, if possible, but since it has already started, I totally understand! Just wanted to check because this seems like an awesome RPG! (:))

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2010, 8:25 pm 

[ I think it's okay for you to join. ;) This RPG has not really taken off yet, so I'm sure PDie is fine with another participant. The more the merrier..! :happy:

Now on topic: I will try to get a post up very soon, promise :) ]

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14th, 2010, 10:28 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I just found this, I wanted to join too^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2010, 12:16 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Sure thing, you guys can both join. Though I gotta warn you it's been pretty dead... :erm:

-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2010, 5:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Name: Patrick Addams (alias John Ryad, alias Edward Kramer, alias ....)

Nationality: Irish, but he uses fake nationalities too

Personality: smart and charming, but he can turn agressive in one second, especially when he feels threatened; he behaves like an ordanary sob; the typical new-money first class passenger.

History: Patrick was born in Ireland, after his mother's death, he was thrown out of the house and he moved around the country where he met up with a couple of street thieves. Patrick soon managed to learn every trick the pickpockets used and he got a member of the club. But soon after, there was a police raid where they lived; Patrick managed to flee and moved to Southhampton, where he worked at the habour for a while under the name of "Robert Hadrick". He gave up the honest work after some time and with some tricks, he moved to a high class area by the name of "Edward Kramer". But also this luck didn't last long; police kept searching for him so he had to flee again. He got his chance when he managed to get one of first-class tickets to Titanic by theft. (Using one of the many tricks he had learned while living on street) Now, he is travelling under the passenger's name the ticket belonged to; "William Jameson"

Reason for travel: He needs to flee to America to start a new life where nobody knows him.

Class: 1st