Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fantasy RP: A Team Effort (Come join! I have candy!)
PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 3:52 pm 
Elf
Elf

Here's my character:

Name : Matthias
Race: Human
Class: Warrior
Skills: Very, very good swordsman.
Eyes : Soft brown.
Hair : Short brown.
Height: 5"3

Weapons: A double-edged sword made from steel. The handle is of black leather and silver to match his belt and scabbard. A red pommel stone is set into the top of the hilt of the sword.

Clothing : Forest green tunic with a red hood. Also wears a black belt and a scabbard for his sword.

History: Matthias lived a quiet, peaceful life with his father, his mother being killed by slavers when Matthias was young. He learned swordsmanship from his father who expected him to one day use the sword for the defense of other people. However, two years ago, their village was attacked and set on fire. Matthias and his father escaped, but his father was fatally wounded and died. Matthias blamed himself for this, because if he had just been stronger and able to defend them, he would not be where he is now, wandering alone. He practices everyday with his father's sword and waits for the day when he will be stronger.

Personality: Matthias is headstrong, determined, brave and a bit rash. He often comes up with crazy schemes that usually don't work. He's very polite, but gets frustrated when others aren't as kind to him.

Yes, I've been reading Redwall by Brian Jaques, why do you ask? :whistle: This is my interpretation of what Matthias would be like if he were human (instead of a mouse) and with a different history.

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 11:39 pm 
Vala
Vala

Okie dokie, here it goes.

Name: Kadeb

Species: Shapeshifter

Appearance: Average height and build. Tan, with dark brown hair and golden eyes

Personality: A bit cold and cynical. Not very friendly but despite his sourness he has an even temper.

History: Nothing too much of importance. He had an ordinary shifter childhood and grew up to be an ordinary shapeshifter.

Other: Nothing that I can think of.

And so it begins!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kadeb glared at the valley from atop a hill, as if his stare alone could sweep away the ruined town that lay below. It was once not an all too ugly place. For all that he despised humans, even he had to admit the quaint little village held a bit of charm. Well, when it was whole, that is. Now it was just a distant smudge of ash and blackened wood, another victim of the rampant wild fires. Kadeb could not remember a time when the fires had come so often, or blazed so fiercely. It was this damned drought. It sucked the land dry, sowing seeds for flame. Plumes of smoke dotted the horizon like hazy grey banners, each marking a spot of destruction. It looked like hell.

Maybe it was hell. Kadeb didn’t think he’d be able to tell the difference even if it wasn’t.

The drought had came first, many years ago, depriving the land of rain. The streams dried up first, and then the rivers. Kadeb’s entire tribe had relocated to what was once a raging river. Now it was only a small trickle of water, a pitiful shell of what it had been.

Next had come the wars. The parched land couldn’t support agriculture and the humans’ food sources dwindled. Tension was high, and tempers flared. Soon entire nations had gone to war, each trying to keep hold or lay claim to the last few fragments of land that could produce food. Hell, it was so bad, even the elves had joined in. When Kadeb had first heard this, when the news was fresh and the ramifications hadn’t yet touched him, he had found it funny. Humans banded with elves, each fighting each other. Humans against humans, elves against elves, humans against elves. Maybe they would wipe each other out. The world would be better without the heathen humans or the uptight elves.

That was then. Kadeb would have given anything just to have things go back to the way they were. What came next was disease. The shapeshifters had fared the drought better then the elves or the humans. There were minor scuffles between tribes over land and food, but they had stayed out of the war. What really started killing Kadeb’s people was the sickness. It came on suddenly and violently, wiping out entire tribes with a ferocity that shocked him. And although it had at first only infected shifters, it suddenly made the jump to humans, and then to elves. Both species were hit hard by the disease and the dead piled up everywhere. Soon there was o-one left to even bury the dead.

It had reached his tribe a couple months ago, decimating everyone except for him and a few others. They had gone off in search of a tribe they had relatives in, but Kadeb chose not to follow. He knew he had a better chance on his own. Better to suffer loneliness than to risk infection.

Last came the fire. There was not much left to destroy, not many people left to kill. It was a final destruction, purging the land for renewal. Kadeb needed only to survive this renewal. There was a rumor or a distant land to the east had survived these dreadful events almost unscathed. He hoped to find this sanctuary, find some relief from the hunger and the dust and the smoke. It was a long journey, but Kadeb knew he needed to make it.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 3:45 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Name: Viola Adela
Race: Human
Appearance: Long blonde hair, blue eyes, average height, slight muscle definition
Personality: Emotionally repressed. Has streaks of cold efficient cruelty.
History: Born in a rather poor family, she was discovered by a government official when she attempted to rob him. Failing that, she tried assassinating him but that didn't work either. Instead of executing her or worse, the government official decided to submit her to a Royal project where they forged children into weapons for the Royal Family, skilled in both magic and combat. The children that survived were placed into different fields. Viola was created to be an intelligence agent, gathering information and eliminating targets as necessary.
Magic: The magic given to Viola is more passive in nature rather than something activated. Firstly, she has the ability to turn "invisible". Essentially she can slip below people's notices but it is not true invisibility as she can still be seen if she rises above it like directing attention to herself. Secondly, she has an incredible memory, remembering minute details from months ago. Both of these abilities were chosen to improve their intelligence agent.
Fighting Skills: Her body has been largely adapted for flexibility, balance, and agility as such her fighting skills seek to compliment that. She uses primarily daggers and rather than block or parry, she instead dodges attacks. She is rather proficient in unarmed combat, favouring kicks.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 4:04 am 
Ent
Ent

(Quick question: are they not already in a party and need to find each other eventually or already in a party? I'd assumed they were already in a party :S)

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 6:22 am 
Ent
Ent

(Quick question: are they not already in a party and need to find each other eventually or already in a party? I'd assumed they were already in a party :S)

(Oh and um how do I delete a post? Didn't want to double post but assumed I could delete it :hide: )

"Hey KADEB. Ka-deeeeeeeeeeeeee-b! When will you ever learn to wait up for people! You know just because YOU have some magical power-li-ness called excessive drive doesn't mean I do too! But you know what? I know something we ALL need to do on a regular basis: eat. Yeah Yeah I know, food is scarce, but hey, go kill/rob/steal from someone and I'll make you the finest cuisine you ever tasted," Arken huffed his way onto the hill toward the glaring shapeshifter.

"Wow," he exclaimed, surveying the flaming mess confronting him, "kind of makes you wish for the good old days, doesn't it?"

He looked toward the shapeshifter expectingly. Ah but of course, he probably wouldn't say much. Never did. Probably never will. He should be the one to have grown up with monks. The one thing Arken could never stand was silence. But monks loved silence. Breakfast was silent. Praying was silent (obviously). Lunch was silent. Any free time was silent. Hand to hand combat training was somewhat silent, with the occasional Oomph and Ouch and "Get back in position" piercing the ever-present cloud of hushed gloom. Dinner, of course, was silent. Only when learning the doctrine was silence broken.

Well, add to all those silent moments Arken's constant jabbering. He never shuts up. Well, maybe rarely. But the shapeshifter was probably off in his own little domain thinking about the world's problems. You know, all fire and brimstone. Who knows what he's thinking about. Arken's just thankful to be alive, both for escaping from that hideous lord he stole and for surviving passing through plagued cities. Actually he's more thankful that he didn't get lost and end up where he started, with people ready to stone him or skin him alive.

Not that he didn't get lost, that is. But when he ended up where he started the people who cared were already dead and buried or burned. He'd call that good luck. And then one day when he was once again hopelessly lost he meets the shapeshifter. Well, all for the better. At least one of us has an inner compass, even if we don't know where we're going, at least we don't run around in circles. he mused.

It was decidedly too silent, and so Arken broke the silence once again. "You know, eventually one of these days when you wander off again and I have to chase you, I'll get lost again, and you'll have to come to find me instead of that paradise we're all looking for. See? That takes time out of your searching, er... our searching. Unless you want to leave me that is," he paused, "You don't to leave me."

"Do you want to leave me?"

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 10:17 am 

[[Name: Evelyn
Appearance: Thin, nearsighted (wears glasses), mousey brown hair, pale blue eyes
Profession: scholar, former head of a city archive
History: Normal childhood (including being teased for his name), then studied histories and care of magical items. He eventually got a job at the archives and rose up through the ranks.

I didn't know if he was going to be near the party or not, you can decide if you see him or if you'll be coming through the town where he is.]]

-----------------------------------------------------------

So close....just a bit more...yes! Evelyn sighed as his fingers closed over the scrap of paper. Another one saved. He glanced over it, noting the date and title. Another one saved that, though precious, still only was a scrap of the history of breadmaking. With a rueful smile, Evelyn carefully tucked it into his satchel. No pieces of knowledge was too small to mourn its loss, but he couldn't say rescuing breadmaking was high on his list of importance. Evelyn straightened up, viewing the smoldering rubble and wreckage around him. The fires had come out of no where, raising the entire archive to the ground. This archive that had withstood wars and floods now lay in a burning heap due to freak fire.

Smoke filled his eyes as he continued to scan the area. Very little of the scrolls and books were left - paper went up in flame so easily. He wasn't sure if his eyes were watering from the smoke, or from tears over the lost knowledge. Or perhaps both.

Wait. Evelyn did a double take. Over there. Yes, something reflecting the light! Hurrying over, he bent down and carefully removed pieces of ash. Picking up the object in his hands, he closed his eyes and thanked whatever gods might still be watching this god-forsaken world. He set the magical item inside his pouch as well, and continued searching.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 10:27 am 
Elf
Elf

Matthias walked carefully through the ruined town, trying to put all this death and desolation out of his mind. It wasn't working. Everywhere he looked, he saw a hopeless case, and no one to do anything about it. Such was the luck now of everyone. He sighed. He shouldn't be thinking these dark thoughts, he was only twelve! Aye, and old enough to do something about this mess. If he had the strength and people to do something, he would take the chance. Or maybe just escape from here.

Matthias adjusted his belt and looked up, scanning the horizon. His keen eyes spotted two figures on the top of a hill. At last, some life! He started moving towards them-- ducking, dodging and weaving as his father had taught him to avoid prying eyes. He was better at this in the forest, when his tunic blended in more. At the bottom of the hill, he drew himself up to his full height (which wasn't very much) and called out a greeting to the two people. They didn't look hostile, but Matthias kept one hand on the hilt of his sword just as a precaution.

"Hello! May I ask what two people like yourselves are doing up there?"

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 11:23 am 
Ent
Ent

[I would suggest kadeb maybe ignore Arken and Matthias and spot Evelyn just to make things easier :s but whatever you want. For now I think I'll direct Arken to the matter at hand]
Arken wasn't sure he wanted to know the shapeshifter's answer, precisely because he didn't know what the shapeshifter would say. So needless to mention that Arken felt grateful for the voice that, out of nowhere and directly behind them, yelled out "Hello! May I ask what two people like yourselves are doing up there?"

Arken whipped around, pretending he hadn't asked Kadeb that question (now that he thought about it it was a bit awkward, and what if the shapeshifter had said "yes"?), and examined the new man of interest.

Well. Boy.
He squinted. Hmmm...
What could a mere boy do? He couldn't fight (probably). He couldn't hunt (probably). He couldn't lure depraved men with his body (that is a task reserved for girls), and definitely not with his voice. No one wants to hear a boy whose voice might crack at any moment's notice. So what could he do.

Not that he was merely judging the newcomer for his potential contributions, but as self appointed cook Arken did have to consider the potential burden on his daily rations. The land is not exactly teeming with fresh fruit and fidgety fish.

Fire and brimstone. Fire and brimstone. With that Arken couldn't help but glance over at the shapeshifter. Ah what would he know, he didn't cut down old men young men old women young women over pieces of metal called coin. He, as far as Arken was aware of, hadn't endured the endless days of silence at his monastery. Just thinking about that place gave Arken the chills.

But there was a boy at hand, and Arken was not about to let this prey escape. Two reasons: much talk (hopefully) and less eats (also hopefully). If the boy turns out to talk none and eat much, well, Arken eyed the boy, clothes could be in good enough condition to sell, belt definitely would sell, and that sword...

He couldn't help but whistle Now that, that would fetch a pretty penny if the boy turned out useless and we had to sell him. Or kill him and sell his stuff. And with that, Arken put on a big smile and put his best foot forward, "Hello there! Have you come to join our little party?"

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 3:35 pm 
Maia
Maia

Onnekaz was certain he had heard it. He had been journeying for days and had not seen a soul in sight. But he was sure his ears had caught the sound of people speaking.
He wasnt sure what to make of it. After walking for days without meeting or seeing any form of life it seemed almost new to him. '' You would've found more life in a graveyard'' he joked to himself.
He then looked around and scanned the surroundings for the origins of the voices. He then spotted them. There were two, no three people standing a short yet considerable distance away. Short enough for him to see them however long enough for him to be able to slip away unoticed if he wished.
He then took in details of the three strangers. '' The first one seems to be a young boy. Though I am certain i can see the glimmer of a blade. A young boy with a weapon?'' he laughed to himself. ''What has the world come to''.
The second person seems to be the person speaking to the young boy. And then there is the other who stands as if cast in stone. He wondered where they all came from.
After scanning the three individuals he decided that he would move for a closer look. ''Whats the worst that could happen ?'' he thought.
He then approached with his bow drawn and a hand ready to move for arrows should he need to. If there was anything a lifetime of danger had taught him, it was that you should always be wary of strangers, you never know where there alliegiance lies. And with a wry smile on his lips, he moved cautiosly towards the strangers.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 4:41 pm 
Elf
Elf

Matthias was sure that this man was sizing him up, as one would a pig for slaughter. But never mind that now, he could deal with that later. Maybe. Putting his concerns away, he answered.

"You call a group of two a party?" He looked over his shoulder. "Or is he over there with you?"

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 4:46 pm 
Vala
Vala

((@Nurr: you can be in the village we're near, if you want. We'll probably be up on the hill talking a while, so if you want your character to spot us and then join us, that's fine too))

Kadeb gritted his teeth and suppressed a growl as the annoying human came trampling up behind him, calling his name for every bandit, thief, and mugger to hear. He turned and glared, but his sour expression had little effect on the babbling human. With a sigh he turned away. It was best to just ignore him, Kadeb had found. The human would jabber away to thin air for awhile, try to goad him into speaking, and then eventually sputter out and be quite for at least a couple hours.

Kadeb was impressed that he had managed to keep from killing him for so long. He couldn't imagine a more annoying traveling companion. It was better then nobody though. Twice he had been woken by thieves in the dead of night, and twice they had taken his every possession. A companion to watch your back while you slept, however annoying he was, is better then waking in the dead of night with a knife to your throat.

A flash of movement shattered his thoughts, and his gaze flitted to the source. A small boy, just a child, was sneaking up towards the hill. A slightly amused grin wormed its way onto his face. The boy had a sword! What did this child think he was going to do? Sneak up and rob them? Kadeb had to admit, for a human, and especially a young one, this kid was skilled at being stealthy. But a puny rascal like that, trying to take on two grown men...no, the boy was probably a beggar, just looking for a meal.

I'll let the babbling human take care of this one He thought to himself. All these humans do is talk, talk, talk

Besides, he had more pressing matters. Another glimmer of movement caught his eye once again. Another human. Kadeb swore under his breath. Was he being punished for something? This one seemed far more sinister than the boy. He had a drawn bow in hand, and a tensed poise that suggested he was ready to fire his weapon at any moment. Still, the man seemed cautious, and was approaching them in full view. If need be, he could always sacrifice the boy. Kadeb stood his ground and waited for the man to get within talking distance.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 5:19 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Viola glanced briefly at the manuscript then the map before looking up at the deserted and desolate ruins that was a former town. From the charred sign, she could somewhat figure that she had arrived at her destination, or what used to be her destination. She highly doubt the group she had to meet could be found here but a mission was a mission. And even if the royalty was fragmented and plagued with infighting, the Royal Intelligence Service was loyal to first and foremost, the royal family. Which was now led by a ten year old boy under the "guidance" of his advisers. If Viola was in any fashion interested in the boy's plight, she would have wagered that he would not live to see his eleventh birthday. Especially given the only order he had given to the Royal Intelligence Service was to "find a new home for my people". But as naive and foolish as that sentiment may be, it was nevertheless a royal order and so Viola had set off to find the town where a small band of travelers were looking for a place untouched by the massive catastrophes that ripped her homeland and others beyond.

She tethered her horse near a stall that was still roughly intact from the fires before she began exploring the remains, her hand never leaving the hilt of one of the many daggers she had carried with her for this mission. But as she wandered around, she found nothing to suggest that there was anything living left. She glanced up to notice that there was a small gathering of people on a hill nearby. She couldn't be sure if they were the people she was looking for or if they were simply passing by or if they were marauders. The last possibility seemed unlikely however considering if they had seen her, they would have attacked already. She returned to her horse and rode to the hill. More precisely, the foot of the hill at which point she dismounted and walked the rest of the distance. Her ears listened keenly on the words that spread between the members. Which came primarily from one person but others had become to join. She could never understood why people liked to talk. Often it led them into being stabbed in the back or in their beds by her. She then noted that not everyone present was a human. There was a half elf, which was indistinguishable from an elf himself, and a shapeshifter. In most humans, there would have been a rush of distaste and unease, maybe even fear and hostility. As Viola could not feel any of those emotions, she simply walked forward to the group as more and more people joined, each showing distrust. Not that Viola could blame them.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 6:23 pm 
Maia
Maia

As he moved closer to the group it became apparent that there were others now appearing as if from nowhere and all seemed to be headed towards the hill as he was.
'' Just think'' , he muttered to himself '' Ive seen more people today than I have in the past week''. He then noticed a horse and a rider in the distance and saw that the rider was also moving towards the hill. '' What is this, happy hour?'' he thought. Whatever was to happen he was sure it would be interesting. He saw no point in waiting around for something to happen, he had never been one for waiting as it was likely to get you killed.
As he was thinking of what he would say to the strangers he felt eyes upon him. He looked at first back at the rider who was looking towards him, he knew now that it was likely that she had discovered his being an elf. He cursed himself for not raising his hood but he saw no point in doing it now. He then noticed that the one standing upon the hill barely moving had now shifted his gaze towards him as well. '' Well ive been seen now so lets see what happens''
He had no reason to believe these people would be hostile however in the uncertain times he had found himself in he knew that many people would be looking out for themselves as he was and he would not blame them for that. But he would always put himself first as he was the only person he could count on.
A slight feeling of sadness crept over him as he found himself gazing at the ring he bore on his finger and then his thoughts moved towards its former owner. ''Not the time for such things'' he thought. He pushed those thoughts out of his mind and now found himself close enough to speak to the strangers.
''Well met'' he said putting on a half smile '' and what might you all be doing out on a day like this?'' the last part of his comment was directed mainly to the one who had first noticed him coming and Onnekaz knew they were each just as suspicious as the other.
He was ready for a fight yet he had always been level headed and would not strike without need.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 11:37 pm 
Ent
Ent

Arken hadn't expected this sudden upcropping of random people. Where the blasted earth did they come from? Should he be worried? He slowly edged his hand toward the halberd at his back, just in case anything funny happened. Not that he didn't like these people, no hard feelings, but there was more than one boy to deal with now and he didn't appreciate having a bow and arrow pointed toward his direction.

He casually eyed the boy, "Well, it seems it's more of a party now doesn't it. What is this, did we hit the jackpot today? It's raining people left and right!"

Oh boy was he excited. People people people PEOPLE! Finally potential companions who might know how to TALK in his tongue. Unlike that shapeshifter right there, thought Arken as he once more eyed his companion. But even he caught the heavy atmosphere that surrounded the archer and the shapeshifter.

"Hi! My name is Arken and I'm a cook. And this here is..." he paused, thumb pointed toward Kadeb. He decided against it. "A sour old man. Let's make introductions! What are you all here for? Thievery, Banditry, Massacre, Foraging, or what?"

Ooh boy. He hoped they didn't have to fight. That boy is just going to get trampled and Arken certenly didn't intend to charge headlong into feathered pointy projectiles. Hm, pointy projectiles. I like that phrase, he thought. He could faintly feel all his throwing knifes, ready to be pulled out at a moment's notice. If those don't work, he could always run. Fighting a man with arrows [yes I know he is half elf but Arken is... unobservant sometimes lets say] while standing on a hill was asking for slaughter.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 11:15 am 
Elf
Elf

Matthias nodded. "I'm Matthias. Good to meet you, Arken." He turned to the other one who looked like an elf. "And you?"

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 12:31 pm 
Maia
Maia

’’I am called Onnekaz. Nice to meet you both.’’ He replied,while only turning his attention to the other two briefly. ‘’Does your friend have a name?’’ gesturing to the other. ‘’or should we call him sour old man’’ he laughed.
‘’ I also see we have another soon to join us’’ pointing to the horse and the rider now approaching the hill. ‘’ As for my purpose here, it is neither to pillage nor steal. I am on travels of my own. What of your purposes? We may share a common goal.’’

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next