Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: - The First Reign of Terror -
PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 5:16 pm 

A Marauder's RPG

The power of He Who Must Not Be Named is growing.. Silently but steadily his influence reaches further and further. His followers are loyal and unyielding. No one knows who his supporters are, no one knows who’s working for him and who isn’t; he can control people so that they do terrible things without being able stop themselves.
Fear is almost tangible; fear for family, and friends. Every week, news comes of more deaths, more disappearances, more torturing. The Ministry of Magic’s in disarray, not knowing what to do, and still trying to keep everything hidden from the Muggles, but who in the meanwhile, are dying too. Terror everywhere.. panic, confusion..
That is how it is now.

Times like that bring out the best in some people and the worst in others.

Welcome!
You almost thought this RPG would never start, but still it did. If you would like to, you can PM your OC bio to me, so that I can paste it in the opening post. :) Perhaps it would be nice, at least until the RPG has picked up pace, to wait until everyone has posted before posting again, so that we can get to know everyone's characters.

Rules:
(Where would we be without them? :P )
- No God-modding.
- To enter you must be committed to the RP and not drop out any time soon.
- Try to make decent posts (fill in the quick reply box).
- Romance is not the purpose of this RPG, so don't overdo it.
- Keep to the rules of the Harry Potter universe which Rowling created.
- Have fun! :)

Characters:
James Potter -
Sirius Black - Will
Remus Lupin - Footie
Peter Pettigrew -
Lilly Evans - Darky
Severus Snape -
Regulus Black -Harthad
Minerva McGonagall - Will
Horace Slughorn - Darky
Filius Flitwick -
Albus Dumbledore -
Lucius Malfoy -
Narcissa Malfoy -
Bellatrix Black -
Lord Voldemort - Darky

( I forgot who claimed which charrie, so please fill me in ;) )

OC's

Name: Katlyn
Nickname: Kate
Date of Birth: 12th of May 1960
Siblings: None
Hogwarts House: Ravenclaw
Wand: 9¾"" of oak with a core of unicorn hair.
Appearance: 1 2
History: To be added soon.
*Note: Katlyn's mom was a Ravenclaw and her father was a Slytherin. Katlyn's parents divorced when Katlyn was in her second year of Hogwarts. The cause of their split is not something Kate talks about, especially since it were fundamental changes in ideas and ideologies, inspired by Lord Voldemort's rise to power, that drove her parents apart.

[More elaborate bio comes soon]

Name: Mark Dimond
Blood Status: Muggle-born
Height: 4'5"
Family: A mom and dad
Wand: 8 1/2 Hawthorn, strand of unicorn hair
Hogwarts House: Gryffindor
Personality: Very geeky. He stutters when nervous, and that made him a target for bullies.
Appearance: Dark curly hair, wears glasses. Likes to eat carrots and read. Brilliant mind.

Name: Christopher Grau
Date of Birth: 20th of May 1935
Wand: 10½"" of cherrywood with a core of dragon heartstring.
Appearance: 1
Occupation: Ministry Auror, Member of Intelligence and Investigation Office

---------------------------------------------------------

It was the morning of the 24th of April and promised to be another beautiful day. There had been a lot of talk of it being the warmest Easter weekend in decades but even after the holidays the warm weather continued. The sky was opal blue and a single cloud shifted its shape over time, contrasting with its background, while the sun shone relentless on the green fields. And only those who watched careful enough, would spot a train, pulled by a scarlet steam locomotive, zigzagging though the landscape like a snake, steadily making its way north.

A smaller amount of students seemed to have boarded the train than usual at the end of the Easter holidays, however the last compartment of the train were fully occupied by students. A boy, still clad in his casual clothes, stretched and yawned loudly. His hair was long and black, his eyes were grey and a self-content smug was on his face.
“They’d better make the spring break bit longer,” he remarked as he looked longingly through the window. Tiny farms and cottages flew past, as the train thundered towards rougher terrain. “I could have stayed at your place for another week or so..” He grinned at his best friend, James Potter, who sat across from him. Sirius usually stayed at Hogwarts during Christmas and Easter, as he hated his family and he only went home during the summers. Well, not anymore anyway.. As from this summer he got his own place with the money, which his Uncle Alphard bequeathed him.

Sirius was silent for a moment and picked up the Daily Prophet, that lay next to him. Several headlines immediately sprang from the front page. METRO DISASTER SHAKES MUGGLE WORLD TO ITS CORE; DAY SEVEN OF THE TREVENA CASE: PROMINENT AUROR STILL MISSING; DARK MARK CAUSES PANIC AND FEAR. Sirius threw the newspaper back, as if it was something contagious, a disgusted look was on his face. His usual wide grin was replaced by frown, yet his haughty features still remained.

“I cannot believe that we’re actually going back to school,” he said, glancing at his friends. “Taking stupid classes and reading those silly books, being bloody useless.” Absent minded, he played with his wand, until red sparks burst from its tip and he looked up at his friends again. “We should do something..” His eyes started to twinkle and his lips curled up in a grin as so often happened when he was planning mischief. “What do you think?”

-----------------------------------

Katlyn sat alone in a compartment of the Hogwarts Express, flipping uninterested through a magazine, her thoughts completely somewhere else. Usually she loved to go back to Hogwarts after the holidays but now sombre thoughts overshadowed the excitement of going back again. She brushed a long strand of blond hair behind her ear and flung away the magazine, knowing that she couldn’t distract herself anyway. Katlyn’s usual demeanour was not at all gloomy, but she somehow couldn’t shake of the sense of foreboding. It had started with the arrival of a beautiful Great Grey Owl, who haughtily nibbled on Kate’s toast before leaving through the opened kitchen window.

Katlyn had read the letter many times since that morning, and sitting in the silent compartment, she unconsciously took it out of her leather bag again, running thoughtfully her finger over the parchment. She had recognised the curly handwriting immediately, it belonged to the man whom she had not seen or spoken in five years, of whom she had not been aware of where he was or where he lived; her father. But now, for the first time in five years this letter had come..

Suddenly Kate’s train of thoughts was interrupted by the opening of the door, and a wide smile covered Katlyn's freckled face and forgot all about the letter as she watched her friend in the opening of the door.

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject: Re: - The First Reign of Terror -
PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 7:08 pm 
Elf
Elf

(I'm playing Regulus, Will. Oh, and also Mark Dimond.:))

Name: Mark Dimond
Blood Status: Muggle-born
Height: 4'5"
Family: A mom and dad
Wand: 8 1/2 Hawthorn, strand of unicorn hair
Hogwarts House: Gryffindor

Personality: Very geeky. He stutters when nervous, and that made him a target for bullies.

Appearance: Dark curly hair, wears glasses. Likes to eat carrots and read. Brilliant mind.

Regulus Black stuck his head around the door to Sirius and Jame's compartment. His Prefect badge stood out in sharp relief against his black and green Slytherin robes. His black hair was perfectly combed and everything about him had a clean air to it. Regulus obviously wanted to impress someone. . .or maybe somepeople. He had barely looked at the newspaper his brother held when he looked at Sirius with a stern gleam in his eye. "Bro, you shouldn't bother looking at things like that. What's the point of worrying about happenings in the Muggle world when you've got your own problems? Take my advice, your life will be an easier one." He flashed Sirius a wide warning-him-to-stay-out-of-trouble smile and left the compartment without ever pausing to politely say hello to James.

Mark Dimond finally sat down in an empty seat at the back of the train, his spirit diminished. What was the use of going back to school when there was all this terror spreading? Sure, Mark was a good enough student, studying hard and getting top scores, but none of that particularly mattered when. . .You-Know-Who was at large. Yes, the professors said that Hogwarts would prepare you for later on in life, but there wouldn't be a 'later on' if You-Know-Who was still at large! If truth be told, Mark was a scaredy-cat. Nervous, jumpy, everything scared him these days. Prefects scared him. Slytherins scared him. And of course these bloody news reports weren't helping his nerves either! Mark was probably the only one in the world, he thought with growing isolation, who thought that Hogwarts could (or would) be invaded by You-Know-Who. Don't take any chances, right? And if that did happen, the Death Eaters or He-Must-Not-Be-Named wouldn't care if Mark had perfect quiz scores, he would probably meet the same fate as so many had done. Death. Left to his gloomy thoughts, Mark pulled out a bag of carrots, straightened his glasses and reached for his book.

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 7th, 2011, 5:25 am 
Elf
Elf

I said I'd take Voldemort :teehee:
I don't really suppose that either he or Lilly need bios seeing as they're canon but a little later I may throw in an OC for the hell of it, if that's okay. :D

Also I was wondering, seeing as (I'm assuming) the Marauders are in their 7th year, would Professor Slughorn not be present at some point? I realise he isn't exactly essential to the plot but having a Slug Club party every once in a while might be both interesting and hilarious. :P

-

A vivid autumnal fire flew down the aisle between the train carriages, flying wildly behind Lilly as she ran heedless of anyone who passed her - pretty much everyone had their compartments already and was settling in to their routines, which mostly swapping stories and rumours in fearful whispers. Easter had been the same for her; she rarely returned home to her parents and sister because of the atmosphere it left in the house. Both her parents were delighted to see her every time she returned from school but she could never say the same about Petunia, who watched her permanently with an air of jealousy, bitterness and disgust.

It had been a quiet Easter, quite the opposite to that she was used to. Usually there was a fuss or an argument about Lilly's schooling or her off-hand comments about her future which, in recent years, had become increasingly dire. The Wizarding World might have it's darkest days yet to come but Lilly already felt as if it couldn't get any darker. Even at school no-one was safe from the black influence of the Slytherins who really had come into their own since He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's power had been consolidated and the Death Eaters had started to ravage the world, ignoring the Ministry's secrecy laws and torturing Muggles for evening entertainment. Returning to school held some kind of comfort for the redhead, but she was uncertain as to whether or not Hogwarts could stay neutral forever.

Robes flying haphazardly, Lilly dodged around a fourth year girl who squeaked as the witch skittered past her at high speed. Calling a rushed ‘sorry’ over her shoulder, Lilly continued on her way, slowing as she reached the last few carriages, pausing briefly for breath. The Head Girl badge pinned to her robed heaved in time with her lungs and she had to fight the urge to laugh at how odd she must look; a faint smile decorated her face for a time before she pushed her fiery hair out of her face and glanced around, barely taking anything in. It was hard to find excitement in the close confinement of the Hogwarts Express, but every holiday there was the handful of students who thought they could make it just a little more interesting. Like setting off half a box of fireworks in one of the compartments - and then leaving the door open. Students had laughed in delight then cried out in panic as the dazzling display headed straight for them, leaving them witless. The remains of the fireworks were either burnt-out shells or sealed in a magically locked box where all other confiscated items were held.

That wasn't why she'd been running. No, she'd been running because... well, it was fun. That and because she was avoiding the bearable crowd of first years that had congregated at the far end of the train, yelling and throwing things and being tormented by the older years. Best not to be involved in that kind of thing, lest it rub off on her. There were already enough troublemakers in the school - and she could thing of three or four in particular, one of whom she was hoping to avoid... for the train journey, at least. There was no doubt in her mind that James Potter's overbearing personality would be exaggerated fourfold in the cramped aisle way and that once he'd noticed her, she wouldn't be able to escape him until they arrived at the station. At the thought of it something like mischief lit up her face and she smiled despite herself.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: May 7th, 2011, 5:35 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I PMed you my profile but here it is again.

Name: Christopher Grau
Date of Birth: 20th of May 1935
Wand: 10½"" of cherrywood with a core of dragon heartstring.
Appearance: 1
Occupation: Ministry Auror, Member of Intelligence and Investigation Office

- - -

It was a pleasant morning. At least that's what his colleagues constantly said as they descended down the Underground station, clad in their robes. Only he had remembered that Muggles dressed in these odd clothes they called suits. Christopher Grau remembered a lot of things about Muggles that his fellow co-workers frequently forgot. For example, the Underground Station was a network of trains that traveled in tunnels at very high speeds. He expected accidents to occur with this lovely combination but not even he could expect the carriages to detach and then spontaneously explode, killing off the estimated four hundred passengers. He showed a slip of laminated paper to the Muggle police officer in charge, an Inspector Hunt, who reluctantly allowed him to pass under the yellow tape. Even as they made their way further down into the tunnel, he could feel his eyes and the eyes of the other police officers boring their way through them. Must have been the robes.

"That Muggle didn't seem to be happy to see us, did he?" commented Macfayden as they approached a couple of police officers still lingering around the wreckage. Another flash of the laminated paper, and they were quickly retreating away, allowing Christopher to look around the scene. It was a glorious mess. What was left of the first part of the train was a twisted heap of charred steel. He imagined the second part was in a similar state.

"Right," he said finally. "Macfayden, since you were so eager to talk to the Muggles, tell the Inspector that this has been a terrorist attack. Tell them it was the British Movement. Horlavth, I want you to go to the Muggle hospital where they kept the survivors. Talk to them, see if they saw any wizards or witches, then Obliviate them. Use Veritaserum, of course. The rest of you, take a good look around. Take lots of photographs so we can look at them at the Office."

His team began work immediately, Macfayden muttering furiously but Christopher ignored him as usual. He was looking at the couplings in the first part. They were severed far too cleanly to be done by accident or wear and tear. This had to be done by magic. Well now, they proved that fact, how could they have connected it to a wizard, specifically a Death Eater.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 10th, 2011, 4:25 pm 

[ @ Frosty - Welcome! :) I'm glad that you joined us! :)

@ Darky - Yes! I think Slughorn was present at the time, as he taught both Lilly and Snape at the time. Do you want to play him from time to time? ;)

@ everyone - it seems that Footie has disappeared, but I shall try to pm her and Ana, so that this can continue soon! :-D ]

PostPosted: May 11th, 2011, 2:37 pm 
Elf
Elf

[^Gladly! :P Methinks we may be having rather a lot of potions classes... we seem to be lacking other teachers. :P]

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: May 14th, 2011, 6:57 pm 

[ Yes! I put Horace down for you! I also added some other teachers whom I presumed to have been present, and I'll take Minerva. It must be so much fun to play her! :)

I also wanted to let you know that I pmed FS and Anna, and I really hope they return soon. In the mean time I do not think we can do anything else than wait.. :( I'm sorry guys! ]

PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 10:20 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Location: Look to your left. Now back at this text. Did you see me?

My first duty to this thread is to apologize. Real life has been so, so hectic lately. My boyfriend broke his leg (which is not an excuse for me, but...) and I spent a lot of time with him away from the internet for several weeks just because I wanted to keep him company. Then, a few weeks ago I got confirmation that I'm going to be exchanging to Germany in August, so that's been a whole new set of worries and busybodiedness for me that I just haven't been able to keep up with. But, here is a seriously late response and once more, I'm so, so sorry!!

Also, here is a banner. http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... terror.png

Remus Lupin eyed his friend Padfoot skeptically as sparks burst forth from Sirius' wand.

“I think we shouldn't set the train on fire,” he said evenly, adjusting the sleeve of his battered robes.

Upon his chest a Prefect's badge glimmered, the metal seeming nearly iridescent in contrast to his otherwise shabby appearance. He brushed his hair, which held very little trace of his childhood blond, away from his eyes and lay back in his seat tiredly. Easter holidays had not been much of a holiday so far as Remus was concerned. The full moon and the holiday had nearly coincided and as always, a transformation without his friends had left the poor boy feeling more drained than what was usual. His eyes stung with sleepiness and he wanted very much to go and make friends with his four poster bed as soon as possible. However, peace and tranquility did not seem to be in his immediate future as quite suddenly, Padfoot's brother Regulus made an appearance.

"Bro, you shouldn't bother looking at things like that. What's the point of worrying about happenings in the Muggle world when you've got your own problems? Take my advice, your life will be an easier one."

And just like that, the young Black was gone. Remus blinked at the younger Prefect's retreating back, then stood and closed the compartment door as he was closest. He felt very much like an old man as he stood, bones creaking, and he sighed a bit when he took his seat once more.

“Little git,” he muttered quietly. The Black brothers were nothing alike and Remus made no secret of his distaste for Slytherin's newest Prefect.

It felt nice just to sit and relax. He was in good company amongst Padfoot, Prongs, and Wormtail. They were his first (and perhaps his only, the subject was debatable) friends and he treasured each of the three greatly and for different reasons. Padfoot was the one who pushed him to be brave, to test limits and to go farther than he would on his own. Prongs was more dependable than Padfoot and served Remus as a steady ear lent in tumultuous times. Wormtail had simply been kind to him and was in fact his oldest friend out of the three.

Remus found that he suddenly wanted to reach for Sirius's discarded Daily Prophet. His will to read the news, however, was thwarted by his desire to simply sit, to soak in the company of the friends he had missed so much after even such a short holiday. He leaned back in his seat once more, his expression shifting from utter exhaustion to a state of quiet contentedness.

"old soldiers never die, they just fade away."
- general macarthur

graphics by goldstrike
the barracks

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 28th, 2011, 5:49 am 

[ Welcome back Footie! Did you by chance hear anything from Anna? I'm currently swamped by work, but I'll try to make another post soon just to get this RP going. I hope the others are still here as well! :) ]

PostPosted: May 30th, 2011, 1:00 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Location: Look to your left. Now back at this text. Did you see me?

I'll text Anna later today. It's Memorial Day today in the states so I don't expect a reply from her today, but she'll get back with me... eventually.

Also, here is the color code if you want to make the OP text match :) c6be97

"old soldiers never die, they just fade away."
- general macarthur

graphics by goldstrike
the barracks

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 12:09 am 
Elven Shieldmaiden for Christ
Elven Shieldmaiden for Christ

Hello! :bye2: I would like to join, if it is not too late, with Bellatrix and an OC, which I will pm the bio to you, Will! :) Also, no Molly or Arthur Weasley? It would be a hoot to play one of them! ;) I'll post my opening post when it is not so late in the evening!

PostPosted: June 6th, 2011, 4:59 pm 

[ Hello Tur! It's so great to have you! It seems ages ago that we RPed together.. ;) And as far as I remember did Misa claim Bellatrix, but she hasn't posted here yet. II know that in the list in the OP she's not taken yet, but that was because I forgot who played who. Perhaps you could check the thread in Osgiliath to see which baddies aren't taken yet.. ;) Or you could PM Misa if she's still up for this or not. :)
Also, we wanted to introduce Molly and Arthur as soon as the Marauder's leave Hogwarts. That because Molly and Arthur are not on Hogwarts anymore, and a seperate plotline for them would perhaps be kind of dull. But you're free to take on either of them if you want to! :) ]

When Regulus appeared in the doorframe of the train compartment, Sirius face clouded. He hadn't seen his younger brother for quite some time, as he usually avoided Sirius and his friends, but now he felt seemingly confident enough to show up and boast. The flawless appearance of Regulus and his shining prefect badge made Sirius sick. His younger brother admired all the things Sirius depised; their parent, their pure-blood mania and the ideas of the Dark Lord.
Sirius threw Regulus a hatefull glance before sneering: "I'm will tell you what will make my life easier.." He drew his wand, but before he could aim it at his brother, the younger Black had already left.
"Tarantallegra," he yelled, but the spell only hit the flapping robes of Regulus, who'd just turned around the corner.
With an apologizing look at Remus, Sirius sat down again. He looked at James and said with a grim voice: "Please kick that idiot of his broom, next time you play against Slytherin, Prongs. I'm sure the world won't mind.."

[ So lets get this RPG going! Please feel free to post and perhaps bump into to Katlyn.. I really hope that everyonne is still in for this! :) ]

PostPosted: June 6th, 2011, 8:59 pm 
Elf
Elf

(Do you mind if Mark sort of stumbles into your apartment? I was thinking that he could become a friend of one of the Marauders. . .?)

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW