Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Victorian London RPG
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2012, 9:10 pm 
Elf
Elf

The man laughed, a cruel, hard, cold laugh that made the hairs on the back of Crutchie's neck stand straight up.

"I'm surprised you even care about him that much, to ask for his life," the man commented as though he were discussing the weather. "What's to stop me from cutting his throat right here? Two ladies? Ha, I think not."

"Just give me the medallion, ladies." the man continued. "We know you have it. And with it, you won't have to worry about scum like this here. We could fix all your problems. And, perhaps, find all the people you've lost. Give me the medallion, and I promise you'll have your loved ones returned to you safely. You don't really care about a street rat with a gimp leg, do you?"

The man's voice was like a snake, slowly whispering and feeding lies into everyone's minds, casually convincing them that his was the only way, that they should listen to him and no one else. Crutchie began to relax, sure that everything would turn out fine. He ignored that the man was trying to kill him. After all, he had said that with the medallion, he could make everything better.

The man smiled, sure that the plan was going accordingly. He called out once again, "Put down the gun, miss. I promise we can--"

"CRUTCHIE!" someone yelled, followed by a gunshot. More voices joined in, seeming to come from all around them.

"No! James!"

"They've got Crutchie!!"

"You said you wouldn't harm anybody!"

"JAMES! James! Wake up, James, please!"

"EVERYONE BE QUIET!" the man shouted, and silence fell. But Crutchie knew those voices--it was his old mates.

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 9:40 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Rosamund Cole sneered at the destruction surrounding her. She kept her handkerchief to her nose at all times now, for the stench of burning and blood were gruesome. Though what did London smell like before? She shuddered to think.

The riots were pure poppycock in her opinion, she'd seen the picture of the necklace in the paper, and it wasn't even that pretty!

She rounded the corner to the next street, and realized she shouldn't have. The whole block was in uproar. People running and shouting, men with knives, grubby boys beating on people. And WORST of all, women in their doorways watching!

She tried to turn and go back the way she came, but she found that she couldn't.

A brick wall had somehow layed itself across her path. The archway she had passed under was completely blocked up with stone.

This was NOT good. She worked hard to keep from screaming, or fainting. She grabbed her smelling salts.

She took hold of the iron railing that ran alongside the sidewalk and took a whiff of the salts. It helped, but not much. The screaming and fighting was louder, or was it?

She didn't know, for she slumped to the ground, fainting dead away. The bottle of salts slipped from her fingers and rolled, scatterning the contents across the cobblestones.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 11th, 2012, 4:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Alice whirled around, the gun still held in her hand. She saw several children around the boy's age milling about, just out of reach in the shadows as if they were unsure whether to offer their assistance or not. They know him. They should be helping. No honor among the gutter rats, I suppose.

"I have no medallion. I don't know what you're talking about."

"Like hell you don't," the man snarled, tightening his grip on the boy. "I know your family and their tricks. You thought your dear old dad's money could protect you, hide all your family's secrets forever? But it's okay. I can keep your secret, and you can go back to your old life. All this will go away, the riots and the chaos and all of it. I swear on my life. And you'll have your family back."

"Where have you taken them?" Alice demanded, but the man only said, "All you have to do is hand the medallion to me, my dear."

Alice's lip curled upward in a sneer. "I've already told you, I don't have it. And I am not your dear," she added, cocking the barrel back on the pistol. "I'm going to give you one last chance to let him go," she said softly. "My father taught me how to handle a firearm and I can assure you I am a very fair shot. You're outnumbered, sir, and if you kill anyone I'll have the constable on you before you can blink."

The man chuckled again. "Constable's gone, missy. No one will know about this until it's too late."

"Well, if that's true, then I guess there won't be anyone to find your worthless body. Let him go."

Sig set and banner by the amazing Nurr!!

PostPosted: April 11th, 2012, 5:01 pm 
Elf
Elf

"I don't have time to deal with you," the man snarled. "Give me the medallion, now!"

A tall boy stepped from the shadows. "If you don't have time to deal with her," he said, "Deal with us instead."

The kids emerged, advancing on the man with sticks and stones, forcing him to try and give up his prize. But, one by one, they all fell. Dead or wounded, Crutchie didn't know, and he was too afraid to find out. In a flash, all his hopes of living with his old friends again had been dashed.

The man smiled ruthlessly, sensing the boy's sadness and anger. "So much for them," he said softly, stepping closer to Alice and Sarah.

"Just give him the medallion!" Crutchie yelled pleadingly. The man laughed. "The boy knows what he's saying, Miss Pennyworth. Things will only get worse after this. But, if the possibility is that you are telling the truth, and you don't have the medallion, perhaps something can be arranged. A search, perhaps," the man mused. "A search across England, with the clues my friends and I have acquired. Then, if you do succeed where the rest of us have not in finding the medallion, perhaps only then will you be bale to see your family again. Yes," he added almost as a wicked afterthought, "We have your sister, too."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 3:56 am 

Sarah's relief that someone had come to their aid, soon turned into horror as she watched how the boys were struck down. Tears were running down her cheeks almost without her noticing it. She dared not to look at the lads if they were still moving, fearing the worst. But fear and panic could not take hold of her now. She could not think of the possibility that this man had actually taken Lord and Lady Pennyworth or Lady Hazel, that he had destroyed the house and organized all the riots. It could not be true, for else this dangerous man and all of his armed accomplices had now been able to get to them, to Lady Alice, demanding a certain medaillon of which Alice claimed that she didn't have it. What would then happen to them, with no around to save them?

Sarah bit her lip and shuffled a few steps forward to Alice. Her gaze was fixed on the man and she had prepared herself to launch forward as soon as this man or any other tried to hurt Lady Alice. "Don't make a bargain with his man, Lady Alice," she said and to her own surprise her voice didn't tremble any longer. "It's a trap.. why would he ask you to go searching for something, when he thinks you have it? Or why would you succeed in finding this thing if he can't?"

She looked up at the man again and blurted out in a flash of anger: "Why can't you leave us alone? We haven't done anything to you!" Her grey, watery eyes sparkled with frustration as she thought of how this morning everything had just been alright. She'd seen Lord Pennyworth before breakfast and Lady Pennyworth had instructed her what to get the girls in town.. That seemed now seemed ages ago. It seemed she had been caught in something that was way beyond her control..

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 9:53 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Rosamund awoke slowly, a terrible throbbing in her head from losing consciousness. She looked around cautiously, the screaming and running had stopped. A handfull of people stood in front of one of the houses. Two women stood in the doorway, one a servant, the other a lady with a gun.

Roz turned the other way and discovered that the wall was gone, this was her chance to slip away quietly. She stood, then paused to steady herself, still dizzy and lightheaded. She almost tiptoed as she made her way back toward the archway.

But it wasn't meant to be, She heard quick bootsteps, then a rough hand grasped her wrist. She started screaming, "Let me GO! NO! Let me go!!"

(ookay... sorry... trying to jump in without grabbing anyone else's characters)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 13th, 2012, 7:36 pm 
Elf
Elf

(No, it's fine Nenriel, I was trying to think of a way to squeeze you in too :))

"You have done everything to me," the man groweled at Sarah. "The whole of London is to blame for this mess we have caught ourselves in, both the poor and the rich! Everyone! And that's why when I have the medallion, I can get rid of you all for good. Or at least have you serve me so you will suffer the indignities I have suffered."

Crutchie decided that this man was definitely mad.

"So make your choice, Alice Pennyworth," the man continued. "Search for the medallion if you do not have it, or give it up to me. Or, if you do have it and refuse to give it up to me, the boy--ow!"

Crutchie had kicked the man in the knee with his good leg, causing the man to release him. He fell hard to the ground, tasting the dirt once again. Crutchie twisted awkwardly, noticing with displeasure that his crutch was lying farther away.

"I'm sick of your talk about this medallion," he muttered, and raised his head to look the man straight in the eye. "You've gone through all this trouble to try and get it, when I bet it isn't even real! You killed my mates just 'cos of this stupid medallion! You killed them!!"

He was about to go on when another person appeared on the scene, dragging along a young woman with him.

"Got her, Mr. Remmington," the newcomer said, yanking the girl upwards so she could stand. "The other piece to our medallion puzzle."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 14th, 2012, 6:12 am 

[ So was I, but it is not my turn to post yet.. ;) Love all the twists by the way, Crutchie ;) ]

PostPosted: April 14th, 2012, 8:14 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

(thanks! It's rather a bit like playing double dutch isn't it?)

Rosamund was still struggling against the cruel grip on her wrist. Though not as she could have, were she in better strength... and her laces not pulled as tight as they were. She had been on her way to tea when all this happened, and she always laced up tight before tea so she didn't eat as much.

But it had also contributed to her fainting. When they pulled her up in front of the door, she stopped, too weak and trembling to do anything. "What do you want with me?" She asked sharply.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 15th, 2012, 8:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Alice stared at the girl they had brought over. Her face looked familiar, but she couldn't quite place her. Judging from her attire, she was near to Alice's own social station--likely they kept company in the same circles. Perhaps she had met her at a tea, a ball, a debutante party...events that seemed so far away now it was almost like a different Alice had attended them, a younger Alice, a more naive Alice.

"Let her go," she said, moving the gun towards the other man. To the boy, she shouted, "Run, you fool! Get out of here while you still have legs to carry you, and a beating heart! Go!"

She closed her eyes. "I'll look for your medallion. But first you have to give me a clue. Where is my sister? Where are you keeping my family?"

PostPosted: April 17th, 2012, 5:29 pm 

Sarah looked at the man with an incredulous expression on her face and a new, but not less frightening, thought flashed through her mind: This man was mad! Did he actually think she, or anyone from the Pennyworth House, had done something to hím? And he wanted to take his revenge by claiming this medallion? What on earth did he want to achieve with that?

But before she had time to contemplate about the uses of an old medallion, she was distracted by the sound of a panicking woman’s voice. Looking aside, she noticed that another man now approached them, dragging a young woman, obviously a Lady, with him. Sarah stared at her with wide eyes, only briefly wondering how she had ended up in this mess.

Yet Sarah’s heart sank upon hearing Alice speak again; accepting the man’s dangerous scheme. Slowly she turned to Lady Alice again, shaking her head, while soundless mouthing ‘No!’ How could she promise to look for anything for such a man? Hadn’t Lady Alice listened to her? Yes a small voice in the back of her head said maliciously but that doesn’t mean she has to listen to you..
Sarah’s grey eyes flashed from left to right, from the other girl to Lady Alice and she bit her lip. There had to be another way. Could she make run for it a try to find a constable or warn a friend of the Pennyworth’s? She moved away from Alice, uneasily, but still not determined what to do..

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 3:37 pm 
Elf
Elf

Remmington smiled, pleased at the Pennyworth girl's compliance. She was one they could use, in time.

"Your family is safe, for now. They are being held in the town of Bath. You, your maid and Miss Rosamund are coming with me to Kent, however. There you will learn of the medallion, and our mission. Gather whatever you need, Miss Pennyworth. It will be a long ride."

While the man was speaking, Crutchie had been trying to sneak over to his crutch, carefully walking around his fallen friends. He avoided looking down at their faces, instead peering out into the shadows where it seemed there were more of the man's friends, or servants. Or co-workers, but whatever they were, Crutchie didn't exactly want to meet them. His bad leg suddenly caught on one of his mates, and he fell forward, choking back a sob as he saw that it was Will. He pushed himself up again, almost to his crutch. A few more steps and he was there, picking it up and sliding it under his arm. It clacked against the pavement, and Crutchie stole a glance at everyone else.

They were all staring at him.

Crutchie's face grew hot and began to limp away, wincing every time his crutch hit the street with a small tap.

Remmington closed his eyes in frustration, trying to block out the sound of the boy's shuffling and his crutch as best he could. Next to him, his partner voiced a question quietly.

"But, er, don't we need him too, boss?"

"We'll deal with that when the time comes," Remmington said sharply, and turned back to the three women.

"Come with us now," he said. "It's time to tell you everything."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 30th, 2012, 7:16 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Alice turned around sharply, her eyes resting on her maid. "We have to do what he tells us, Sarah," she said. Her tone was soft, but firm--Sarah would do well not to question her. "It's the only way we know for sure that my family is safe. We'll be all right if we just obey, and once this whole mess is over with my father will pay you handsomely, I'm sure. Just do what he says, and don't leave me all alone."

She turned back to the man. "Am I to know the name of my abductors before I'm taken away on this mad venture from the only home I've ever known?" She paused, a slow smirk coming over her face. "I'll play by your rules, I'll listen to your little tale. But let me make this perfectly clear: I'm keeping my gun."

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 6:55 pm 
Elf
Elf

The man performed a mocking bow. "As you wish, Miss Pennyworth. My name is Mr. John Remmington, and my associate is Mr. Steven Cribbins, whom you would please follow to the carriage that is waiting for you four--I mean, three-- just beyond the gates. Quickly now!" He clapped his hands together once, and started to walk away. Steven plastered a fake, leering smile on his face, and motioned for the trio to follow him.

"Right this way, ladies. If you will."

Crutchie limped his way down the streets, keeping his head down and his thoughts to himself. He was now alone more than ever in the world, and just didn't know what to do with himself anymore. His mates were dead, and with them his last hope of ever seeing them again. No hope of ever going back into that life he had once lead. Oh, get a grip on yourself, Crutchie. Move on. Maybe you'll find new mates.

Yeah, right.

But he did need to move on. Otherwise he wouldn't be able to live with himself. And then where would he be? No better off than one of the street rats who had nothing. But he was one of the street rats who had nothing. Oh, bother. Bother it all.

Preoccupied with his thoughts, Crutchie had no time to think about the weighty blow that connected with his head, and he crumpled to the ground in an unconscious heap. Two men lifted the boy up and flung him into the back of the carriage, and then saluted smartly as Mr. Remmington rounded the corner.

"You have him?"

"Yes, sir!" they chorused, and then fell silent as Mr. Cribbins came around with Alice, Rosamund and Sarah.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 7th, 2012, 8:31 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Rosamund became almost histerical. She had been watching the proceedings, as it from somewhere else. She had slipped outside herself and was watching it from above.

But now she came back to herself with a thud, she wasn't going anywhere with these miscreants! Oh, no she wasn't!

And she told them so, she began screaming, kicking, and struggling. "You've no use with me! Let me go! I have pleanty of money, Take it! Let go of me, you horrid brute!

Her elbow connected with a wall of solid muscle. The "Brute" didn't even flinch. And he didn't let go.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 10th, 2012, 5:55 pm 

It was now or never. Stay or go. Would she take the chance? To run as fast as she could, away from all of this, hoping that if she stopped that it never would have happened. That if she would go back inside Lady Pennyworth would scold on her for returning the girls so late and Mrs. Riley would tell her to hurry because dinner would almost be served. But they weren't there. Neither was Jamie, the footman, or Beth, the scullery maid and Sarah's dear friend. They were like a second family to her and now they had disappeared. Would this man and his accomplices have taken them all? That could hardly be possible!
Sarah stopped in her tracks when she heard Alice's clear voice. Too late.. She turned and looked upon the girl, her expression one of incredulty. This was the only way? To aid a band of criminals who had not even given the slightest proof that they had captured the Pennyworths or that this ridiculous medaillon actually existed? She bit her tongue not to make a sharp remark; it was still not her place to argue with Alice. She could not disobey her and leave her now. Abruptly she turned and let the fire poker drop and she marched back into the house while wiping the tears from her eyes. Only a few minutes later she returned outside, looking as white as a sheet, with a small bag cluthed under her arm. She could not look Alice in the eyes, nor look at the other woman who suddenly started to panic, but just stared at the ground and followed the others to the carriage.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next