Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 18th, 2024, 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Avengers, Assemble! (Private RP)
PostPosted: May 14th, 2012, 10:42 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

“JARVIS, did you run those diagnostic scans on the elevator? It was running a little slow this morning.”

“Not yet, sir, but I will do so now.” A pause, then, “Diagnostics running.”

“Good.”

Crossing the spacious ninth-floor laboratory to the bar - there was one on every floor -Tony poured himself a scotch and made his way to the nearest workstation. “How’re the repairs on the Mark VII coming? And this time I really do want those spinning rims.”

“Repairs are at 78.3% and proceeding as planned. Also, sir, Miss Potts requested that I remind you that you have an appearance at the Museum of Modern Art tomorrow evening in for the Rebuild Manhattan fundraiser.”

“Right, because the fact that I helped save Manhattan doesn’t matter; now I have to donate money to pay for it - which, I might add, I have already done multiple times.”

“The burdens of being wealthy, sir.”

“Remind me to call Banner and make him come along. No way am I going to another one of these alone.”

“Might I remind you, sir, that Doctor Banner has already requested that you not invite him to any more of your social functions. After what happened last time-”

“Yeah, I know. Fine - Rodgers, then. Just remind me to drag somebody along so I’m not the only one getting the ‘this is really your fault so you should pay for it all yourself’ looks.”

“Of course, sir.”

“Throw up those schematics for the Mark VIII, would you?”

Skimming the information that JARVIS sent him, Tony slid the volume bar for his music up, instantly filling the lab with the booming and screeching sounds of ACDC. Tossing back the scotch he grabbed one of the many complex looking tool from one of the many overpiled worktables and set to work, tweaking and making adjustments to a new and half-finished suit.

just a big man with a suit of armor.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Avengers, Assemble! (Private RP)
PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 12:15 am 
Ent
Ent

Loud. New York was definitely louder than Steve had remembered. He stepped out of the cab and shifted the bags in his arms. Squinting, he lifted his face towards the sky and took in the sight of Stark's new tower. He shook his head. Even more garish than it was before it had been torn down. He hadn't thought that it would be possible, but hardly anything surprised Steve anymore... or so he thought. He sighed and shifted the two large paper bags into one arm with more ease than a regular man should ever be able to accomplish. Stowing one hand into his pocket, he leaned down and peered through the passenger seat window.

"How much do I owe you?"

"Twenty-two dollars and forty cents." The driver took the cigarette he had been smoking out of his mouth and put out the glowing embers on the dashboard.

"Wha-! Ow!" Steve knocked his head against the top of the window and rubbed it with a wince. Coughing, he spluttered, "Twenty-!"

"Look moron, you made me sit through traffic on a Friday evening for almost a half an hour. This business don't come cheap." The driver looked annoyed. "Jesus," He muttered under his breath. Steve opened his mouth to reply when he suddenly felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Trouble, Captain?" He jerked back with surprise at the voice and turned to see Natasha staring back at him, her calculating gaze calm as she raised her eyebrow.

"Do you always sneak up on people like that?" He moved a hand through his hair, feeling uncomfortable and slightly embarrassed about the situation she had found him in. Natasha's lips curved into a smile as she pushed him away lightly and leaned down to rest her arms against the bottom of the window frame. The driver looked up with irritation, but when he realized that Steve was no longer there and Natasha had taken his place, his face broke into a nasty smile.

"Hey the-"

"Here's the thing..." Natasha paused to glance over her shoulder. Steve cleared his throat and stepped away, raising one hand to signal that he was giving her space. A minute later, the cab sped away at an alarming speed and Natasha stepped back onto the pavement.

"What did you say to him?" Steve watched, his brow slightly furrowed, as the cab weaved through the traffic, honking as it disappeared around the corner. Natasha chuckled quietly.

"Nothing you need to worry about, Captain." She brushed past him and entered the code into the keypad by the glass doors.

"Was it... illegal?" He asked hesitantly. Natasha turned and raised an eyebrow.

"Maybe. Are you coming or not?" The glass doors slid open with a quiet whirring noise. Steve paused, then followed her into the corridor.

"Here, let me get that for you, m'aam." He reached for the six-pack in her hand. She watched with amusement as he placed it into one of the bags and shifted again.

"What?" He looked confused at her reaction. She shook her head again as they approached the end of the hallway to another set of double doors. She stopped in front of them and pressed the green button, moving her mouth closer to the speaker.

"JARVIS? It's Natasha and Steve. We're here."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 12:40 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

“Access granted,” JARVIS replied, and the double doors opened with a soft ‘hiss’ to reveal the overly plush elevator. “Welcome back to Stark Tower, Miss Romanoff, Captain Rodgers.”

Up in the lab Tony kept his focus on his work as the music volume suddenly dropped and JARVIS’ voice came over the speakers.

“Sir, Captain Rodgers and Miss Romanoff are requesting entrance.”

“Let ‘em up, JARVIS,” the playboy replied with a dismissive wave of his hand. Rising gracefully to his feet he grabbed a discarded shop towel and wiped his hands free of grease and grime before flicking the volume back up and going right back to work, bobbing his head to the heavy beat of the music.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 3:52 am 
Ent
Ent

"Are these really necessary?" Steve couldn't help but comment as he stepped inside. His gaze fell on the dark red velvet cushions. Natasha laughed.

"At ease, Cap. You know Stark likes his luxuries." Suddenly, her hand clapped over her pocket and she pulled out a phone. "Hello?" She listened for a moment, then nodded. "Sounds good. I'm with Steve. Yeah... I don't know, smells like..." She leaned over and peered into the bag, sniffing.

"Schwarma." Steve cleared his throat. Natasha raised her eyebrow and pulled back with a airy chuckle.

"Right. Yeah. You heard right. I'll see you in a bit... Bye." She slid her phone back in her pocket as the elevator doors slid open. "Schwarma, eh?"

"I--" Something told him that Natasha wasn't really all that interested in his explanation, so he shrugged and followed her into the lushly decorated loft.

"Clint is on his way, he got held up at the office." Natasha pulled a few glasses from the cabinet. There was a slight movement on the couch nearby. Without turning, she picked up the bottle of wine on the counter. "Oh, hey Doc. Where's Tony?"

"Nice to see you too, Miss Romanova." Bruce replied with his usual good-natured air as he stood up from the couch and tossed a notebook on the table. "He's holed up in the lab, as usual. I was just going over some notes." He pulled his glasses away from his face and slid them in his breast pocket. "Need some help, Steve?"

"Nah, I got it." He set the bags down on the counter and began to pull out the individually wrapped sandwiches.

"Schwarma, eh?"

"Why does everybody keep saying that?" Steve muttered under his breath.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 3:50 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

“Just out of curiosity,” Tony said as he appeared from behind the doors of the secondary elevator, “Did I actually invite you all today or did the whole team just decide to show up together? Because I really can’t remember.”

“Uh-oh. You guys must have interrupted one of his genius moments,” Bruce informed the others with a mock whisper. “I’ve noticed he gets cranky when that happens.”

“First, I’m never cranky,” Tony replied. “Second, every moment of my life is genius, so I’m pretty much used to being interrupted.”

With a knowing grin in Steve and Natasha’s direction, Bruce shook his head. ‘He actually does get cranky’, he mouthed.

“I saw that,” Tony called from the bar, though his back was turned to all of them.

“So, shawarma, huh?” he asked, passing Steve and Natasha to fling himself onto the couch - carefully, so as not to spill his freshly poured scotch. “Is this going to be a thing now?” he went on, arching an eyebrow curiously in Steve’s direction. “You all invade my tower and we have shawarma parties?”

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 6:12 pm 
Ent
Ent

Steve locked his jaw and tossed one of the sandwiches in Tony's direction, perhaps a little harder than he had meant to. The guy rubbed him the wrong way sometimes... that wasn't anything new. He got the feeling that he needed to learn how to loosen up, but it wasn't easy, given the way his mind worked and how he had been trained to act. He rolled his shoulders back and snapped one of the beer bottles open with ease. He took a swig before responding.

"Always the gracious host, Stark."

"You didn't exactly invite us," Natasha supplied, quelling the banter between the two men before it could continue. She had a natural way of smoothing things over. She adapted easily to situations and usually took on the role of mediator when things got heated in the group. "But we figured that the tower would be the best place to meet. Didn't JARVIS give you the memo? Barton should be joining us soon."

"The Stark Tower? Why the Tower? We could have easily met at--"

"S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn't know about this meeting." Natasha cut Bruce off and leaned back against the counter. "Not yet, anyway."

"Is it really wise to go behind their backs like this?" Steve put his beer down and turned to her. She gave him a cool, calculating look.

"Thor has requested that S.H.I.E.L.D. be kept in the dark about this."

"Thor? Is that what this is about?" Bruce crossed his arms over his chest, looking thoughtful. He shot Tony a look. "That explains the tower bit." Steve brushed past him and walked towards one of the massive windows, leaning against the frame. He narrowed his eyes a little.

"Looks like it's going to rain after all."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 8:24 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

“I do try,” Tony commented in smug reply to Steve’s obviously sarcastic compliment. He caught the sandwich and set aside the scotch to peel back the wrapper. “And look, you even remembered which was my favorite sandwich. I’m touched, Steve. Thank you.” He was goading the soldier and he knew it, but damned if teasing the kid-who-was-actually-older-than-he-was wasn’t just too much fun. Besides, Rogers needed to loosen up anyway.

Tilting his head back so he could see Natasha, Tony frowned. “JARVIS,” he said around a mouth half full of food, “Did you tell me they were coming?”

“I mentioned it this morning when you had me wake you, sir. However, the aftermath of your usual before-bed beverage may have caused a failure in your ability to process the information at the time.”

“How ‘bout that,” Tony muttered with a disinterested shrug.

When Steve questioned Natasha the playboy couldn’t restrain himself from rolling his eyes. Bruce kicked the leg of the couch, shot him a good natured look of warning and shook his head. Tony rolled his eyes again but miraculously managed to restrain himself from making any further comments.

“Sir, Agent Barton has arrived.”

“Might as well send him up, J,” Tony said, flipping his legs over the side of the couch and rising. He joined Steve at the window and looked up at the darkening sky. “Oh and, JARVIS, open the skylight,” he called. “I’m not explaining to Pepper why all the windows are broken again.”

Behind them the elevator opened and Clint stepped out as above them thunder rumbled. “Looks like I got here just in time,” he commented as he went to stand by Natasha. “Hey, Doc,” he added, nodding to Bruce as he passed. “We’re going to have to be fast about this,” he muttered quietly to Nat. “I think Fury’s a little suspicious. I give it an hour tops before this isn't a secret any more.”

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 10:42 pm 
Ent
Ent

Natasha nodded once to acknowledge that she had heard him. Suddenly, Steve stepped away from the window and squinted as the skylight opened.

"I think he's coming!" He shouted as the thunder roared. Instinctively, he stepped in front of the others and held his arms out to brace them as the wind whipped through the room. The ground trembled as the windows burst open from the pressure in the room. One of the lamps shook and rolled off of the table. Clint quickly caught it before it hit the ground. Lightning flashed through the storming swirl of clouds, blinding all of them for a brief second. By the time their vision had cleared again, a large, crouching figure appeared in the center of the room. Thor rose to his feet slowly, his dark red cloak billowing behind him as the clouds above their head peeled back to reveal sunlight again. He hesitated, sniffing a little and cocking his head.

"Do I detect... schwarma?"

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 11:15 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tony snickered openly while Bruce grinned behind his hand and patted Steve on the back, knowing that the soldier was probably beginning to wonder just why everyone felt the need to mention the shawarma.

“Still going with the Shakespeare in the Park look I see,” Tony commented, smacking Thor in the arm with a wide grin as he passed by on his way to the couch again. “How’s it going, Point Break?”

“I still do not understand the meaning of this name you give me, Tony Stark,” Thor commented, looking at the other man curiously.

Tony chuckled. “I’ll explain it to you some other time, big guy.”

Smiling lopsidedly, as if uncertain whether the situation actually called for a smile at all, Thor shook his head and looked at the others. “Greetings, my friends,” he said. “I am glad to find you all here and well.”

Making his way to the widow, Clint scanned the skies above and streets below with careful attention. “Not to be pushy, but we probably don’t have a lot of time here. So you want to tell us why you requested to meet us all without involving S.H.I.E.L.D.?”

“Ooo! Let’s play the guessing game. My guess is you lost Loki again and now he’s coming back to take his revenge on earth. Am I close?”

“Tony,” Bruce said.

“What?”

“Stop.”

“You know, you’re not as much fun when there’s company over,” Tony commented. Shaking his head with a small smile Bruce leaned against the bar and crossed his arms.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 16th, 2012, 12:52 am 
Ent
Ent

"Agent Barton is right. We don't have much time." Steve ran a hand through his slightly mussed hair and stepped forward. "What can we help you with?"

Thor hesitated for a moment, then walked the length of the room before crossing his arms over his chest. His gaze was trained on the spotless carpet as he spoke.

"Stark has it half right. The matter concerns my brother." His voice was uncharacteristically distressed. "The moment we returned to Asgard one full moon ago, he refused to speak to anyone. In all my years of living, I have never seen my brother in such a state. I did not detect anger nor grief in his eyes whenever I stepped into his room, which he refused to leave for many days. I feared that he might have lost his mind, for there was no life, not a trace of the brother I once knew in his features.

"But yesterday, as evening fell, I made a decision to approach him once more, only to find that he had vanished. I feared that he might have escaped once again, but I do not think that he went willingly. There were signs of struggle and panic." Thor looked up, finally meeting all of their gazes. "I fear that The Other has taken him, or that he has narrowly escaped them."

"Not to sound insensitive, but how does this concern us, exactly? Your brother did almost destroy our entire planet." There was a hint of sarcasm to Clint's voice. Thor looked pained. He rubbed his jaw as he continued.

"Because the Other is not one that you should like to anger, which is exactly what Loki did when he lost the battle. If the Other does indeed have my brother, then he shall use Loki to reclaim your planet at his own to rule. My brother may have lost his mind, but this new monster who hails from a foreign galaxy... he has powers that are beyond anything you could ever imagine. If Loki has indeed escaped his fingers, then I fear that he shall come back to Earth to hide amongst your people until he can gather forces strong enough to defend himself. Either way, Earth has been put in danger's path once more."

"But why leave S.H.I.E.L.D. out of this?" Steve asked, his eyebrows knitted together. Thor met his gaze.

"Because I fear that if S.H.I.E.L.D. knows, they may attempt to imprison my brother for themselves. And if Loki is kept captive again, it will not bode well, for it is only bait for The Other to approach Earth himself. The world you once knew will fall into perilous hands once more."

There was a heavy silence that filled the room.

"So..." Bruce broke the silence awkwardly as he slid his hands in his pockets. "What do we do?"

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 16th, 2012, 11:38 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The silence that again fell over the room was, at first, the only reply to Bruce’s question.

“Just out of curiosity,” Tony said, rising with a bounce and looking at Thor. “In Asgard you do actually have guards, right? People who make sure that war criminals who killed hundreds of human beings don’t escape?”

“Loki was guarded every moment,” Thor replied with mild defensiveness. “But the Other has ways that even my father cannot understand or overcome. If he found a way into our realm without our knowledge then it would not have been difficult for him to take my brother away with equal stealth.”

“Fine. I’m just trying to decide why your brother was in a room, which he apparently had the option of leaving, instead of, oh, I don’t know, in a prison cell, maybe?”

“Stark has a point,” Clint said. “Was Loki even being punished for what he did? Because it sounds to me like there was more coddling going on than punishment.”

Tony pointed at Barton with a nod. “Exactly.”

“The Allfather had not yet decided on Loki’s punishment.”

“Oh. So while Odin takes his time deciding on how to punish him Loki escapes and now we get to deal with him all over again. Fantastic.”

“It is not your place to question the actions of Odin Allfather, Tony Stark,” Thor stand, now with a hint of warning.

Tony simply arched an eyebrow and stared Thor down, clearly not impressed. “Maybe if daddy-dearest didn’t keep making stupid ass mistakes that put our planet in danger while your realm stays perfectly safe then I wouldn’t have to question his actions.”

Thor’s eyes flashed and he and Tony stared each other down, each standing tense and ready, daring the other to start something.

“Okay, guys. Everybody just calm down,” Bruce said, stepping between the demigod and the playboy. “Do we really want to do this again? Right now it doesn’t matter how Loki got out - although I would like an explanation about that myself, but later. The point is he’s gone. Right now all we have to decide is what we’re going to do about it.”

Still tense but nodding, Thor stepped back with a hard look at Tony. “That this trouble has fallen on earth’s shoulders again pains me greatly. I will do what I can to make sure that Loki never brings harm to earth again, even if I must do it alone. However you choose he must be found, or the consequences will be beyond anything any of you have ever seen.”

“What do you think, Nat,” Clint asked. “Cap?”

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 16th, 2012, 1:18 pm 
Ent
Ent

Natasha remained silent, her expression carefully blank. When Clint turned to her, she said nothing, but merely ran her tongue along her teeth and folded her arms across her chest. Steve, however, stepped closer to Thor and placed a hand his shoulder.

"You call him your brother. Is he, really?"

Thor paused, then sighed and uncrossed his arms, forcing himself to relax.

"It is true he was adopted into our family at birth. But we were raised together and he is of Asgard. As far as I am concerned, Loki is my brother." There was a hint of heaviness in his voice. Steve watched him for a moment.

"And it worries you that he has vanished?"

More silence.

"Yes."

Steve could detect a shadow of despair in Thor's tone, though he doubted that the others had noted it as well. The only reason why he had was because he knew the emotion well. He knew how it felt to be filled desperation and torn with anxiety over the thought of losing someone you held close to your heart-- a brother. As his hand tightened over Thor's shoulder, he could feel the ghost of Bucky's comforting, strong grip on his own shoulder. The sound of his cries as he had fallen away into the bottomless, snow-filled canyon still haunted him at night. Yes. Steve knew what it felt like to lose a brother. He closed his eyes for a moment, trying to will the visions away.

"Cap?" Clint pressed, watching his expression carefully. Steve looked up and let his hand fall away from Thor.

"You heard the man. Whether you like it or not, our world is in danger again. And I don't know about you, but I'd rather keep the fighting away from our home while we still can contain it. But we'll have to find Loki first. If he is on the run, then we must protect him."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 16th, 2012, 6:03 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

“Protect him,” Tony repeated, his face set in an neutral expression, though his mouth turned upwards in a wry smirk. “Right.”

Walking to the bar, Tony grabbed another sandwich and the half empty scotch before brushing past everyone and heading to the elevator, giving both Steve and Thor a guarded, unreadable look as he passed.

“Tony, where are you going?” Bruce inquired with a frown.

“The lab. If I have to help save the planet again then I have a suit to finish.”

“You want some help?”

“Nope.”

The elevator door slid shut and Bruce rubbed the back of his neck. “I don’t think he’s very happy.”

“Can you blame him?” Clint asked. “No offense, Thor, but saving your brother isn’t something I think any of us ever wanted to have to do. I know I sure as hell don’t.”

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 18th, 2012, 12:05 am 
Ent
Ent

Thor closed his eyes. Finally, after a long moment, he opened them again.

"I do not ask of you to help me." His stare did not waver as he looked at each of them. "My intent was to merely warn you of what danger could befall upon your planet if you do not act to protect it. My brother is my responsibility, and mine alone." He glanced at Steve. "And I could never ask any of you, nor will I ever, to help me keep Loki out of harm's path. That burden is mine to bear." Steve opened his mouth to reply, but Natasha spoke first.

"I think we just need some time to let this sink in, Thor." She said quietly. "You've given us a lot to think about. It's not easy to grasp the idea that is so foreign to anything we've ever known."

"Well, we don't have much time," Clint suddenly brusquely. His sharp gaze was directed towards the window. He gestured to a large black van that was approaching the tower rapidly through the ongoing traffic. "Looks like Fury has caught up on our scent after all."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 18th, 2012, 12:25 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

“Proximity alert,” JARVIS intoned suddenly. “I am detecting an approaching aircraft as well as the vehicle agent Barton has already noticed.”

“For those of you who don’t plan on getting caught in the wrath of Fury’s one eyed glare there’s a lower level that leads out through the basement,” Tony’s voice informed them from over the intercom. “If we’re going to keep this a secret then you all either need to chill out and eat some shawarma while watching a Disney movie, or some of you need to leave. Now. Thor, I suggest you go since I’m fairly certain your being here is going to bring up the most questions. JARVIS will show you the way. Romanova, Barton, you guys go too. We’re going to need someone to keep an eye on things inside SHIELD and Fury trusts you two the most. Unless you have any objections to all this, Captain?” That last was asked with a surprising lack of sarcasm and a sound of distracted but genuine inquiry.

“Sir, the aircraft has landed.”

“What’ll it be, lady and gentlemen?”

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 18th, 2012, 1:34 am 
Ent
Ent

Tony was right, and Steve could hardly argue with that. The man certainly showed competency when the situation called for it. He ran a hand through his hair and picked up one of the sandwiches, tossing it to Bruce.

"You better start eating that, Doc. And..." Steve's gaze fell to the various DVD players and stereo systems underneath the large HDTV monitor and shook his head. "... also, turn on that TV. Our story is I came to visit you and Stark because I needed something fixed." It felt natural to take control of a situation in the middle of what could be a chaotic event if they didn't move quickly. This wasn't exactly a war zone, but anything concerning a complicated matter with S.H.I.E.L.D. was probably not too far from one.

"Thor, you need to move. Agent Barton will go with you to make sure that no one sees you while you're leaving. Agent Romanov, you better stay. If both of you leave at once and are caught, it will be too obvious that something is going on." Steve began to pace the room, rubbing his jaw.

"I ran into you outside of Stark Tower. Your skills will help us ward away any suspicions that S.H.I.E.L.D. might already have." He placed a hand on her shoulder and squeezed it briefly to show that he meant no offense in regards to her talents and how she had acquired them. But Natasha's face showed no signs of irritation, or anything for that matter. She merely nodded once and moved to the counter to gain a better view of the commotion outside while she cleared the bags. Clint picked up an earpiece from one of the shelves and slid it into place.

"JARVIS, talk to me." As he listened, he placed a hand on Thor's back and nodded. Thor glanced back at them briefly and raised a hand to signal a farewell.

"Thank you, my friends. It pains me a great deal that I have caused so-"

"-- There's no time. You have to go. They're coming." Natasha tossed one of the wrappers into the trashcan as she saw Agent Hills exit the van. As she disappeared from view, Natasha exhaled slowly. "You need to move."

Wasting no more time on niceties, Clint grabbed Thor roughly by the arm. The elevator doors slid open and they stepped inside quickly. Steve forced himself to relax as he crossed the room and sat down, draping one arm over the back of the sofa. Bruce had already switched the TV on and was fiddling with the remote as the footsteps from the floor above them grew louder.

"Stark, if you can hear me, you should join us soon. We shouldn't be here without our oh-so generous host." Steve said quietly just as the doors next to the elevator opened.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next