Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Avengers, Assemble! (Private RP)
PostPosted: August 4th, 2012, 12:03 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Feeling like it wasn’t a question actually meant to be answered Tony didn’t bother to give a reply. They stood in silence for a while before Tony decided that he should probably get back to his room. He rubbed at his jaw and sniffed, looking at the ground awkwardly again as he pushed away from the railing and half turned to Steve.

“I should-” he broke off and gestured in the general direction of the chamber. Combing his hair back with his hand he made an awkward face, glad that it was fairly dark since it would make this next part easier. “Thanks. Banner said you - and I appreciate it.”

In a rare show of gratitude and trust the playboy stuck his hand out, face carefully guarded as he waited to see if the gesture would be returned.

just a big man with a suit of armor.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 4th, 2012, 12:18 am 
Ent
Ent

The soldier seemed surprised by Tony's sudden uncharacteristic move, but after a moment of hesitance, he took the playboy's hand and shook it once.

"You're welcome." He said simply. For some reason, Tony's gratitude meant a lot more to him than he had expected it to. He let go and dropped his hand back into his pocket. Feeling awkward again, he gestured to the corridor. "Did you ah... want some help?" He knew the answer, but he asked anyway.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 4th, 2012, 12:36 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Amazingly, Tony nodded. “Sure,” he said with a one-armed shrug. “You can fend off Banner for me if he wakes up. Speaking of whom, while you were dramatically rushing around insisting that someone save my life did you happen to mention that you got thrown against a cliff?” He cocked an eyebrow questioningly.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 4th, 2012, 12:42 am 
Ent
Ent

With one swift movement, Steve picked up the playboy's arm and rested it across his shoulders as he helped him back down the hallway. He raised an eyebrow at Tony's question.

"I don't know what you're talking about." He said enigmatically as they awkwardly stumbled along. When they reached the room, Steve kicked the door open quietly, but Bruce was already awake and waiting.

"What did I say about leaving bed, Tony?" The doctor said sternly at the two men. Steve gave the playboy a look before shaking his head and raising a hand.

"Relax, Doctor Banner. It was my fault. I was making too much noise outside and Stark came to shut me up." He brushed past the physicist and towards Tony's bed.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 4th, 2012, 12:56 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tony snickered as Bruce merely threw up his hands, obviously not buying the soldier’s lie one bit but too tired to argue with either of them. Instead the doctor got his revenge by hovering around the playboy, tucking him in with almost wicked glee while Tony could only grumble about it.

“I mean it, Tony,” the physicist said firmly as he finished. “You need to rest.”

Tony, who actually did look exhausted by that point, simply rolled his eyes. “Yes, mother-hen.”

“As for you,” Bruce turned to point at Steve. “No more helping him sneak out,” he ordered, though there was actually no genuine annoyance in his eyes at all. He knew that Steve had had absolutely nothing to do with Tony’s ‘escape’. Giving the playboy one last stern order Bruce all but shoo’d Steve out of the room.

“Get some rest, Cap,” he advised, leaving Tony’s door open a crack before heading back towards his couch again. “Something tells me we’re all going to need it.”

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 4th, 2012, 3:04 pm 
Ent
Ent

Tony's recovery came quicker than any of them had anticipated, but Bruce wouldn't let the playboy out of bed until the fifth day, when he was positive that there would be no relapse. Overjoyed, Thor had took them back to the woods of Asgard, this time straying far away from any areas that could present trouble. The rest of the group kept an eye on Tony at all times, just in case. Bruce was a the least subtle about it, but fortunately, their worrying was not needed, for the playboy had seemed to make a full recovery by the end of their stay in Asgard.

They were showered with all sorts of needless gifts, which they graciously accepted. Steve had received a decorative shield that was not unlike his own at home, though this one was gold and silver. As he held it to the warm light, Thor clapped a hand over his shoulder.

"It was good to see you again, my friend." Steve lowered the shield and shook his hand with a little smile.

"Thank you. For everything. I had a great time."

Meanwhile, Natasha sidled up to Tony with a large bag slung over her shoulder. With a mysterious look, she dropped it at the playboy's feet.

"Sif gave them to us as a special gift." She nudged the flap open to reveal several bottles of Asgardian liquor. The light seemed to dance in her eyes as she continued to look at Tony intently. "I figure that you would make the best use out of it." Her gaze shifted briefly to the soldier before settling back to the playboy. She tilted her head and brushed past him to walk down the length of the bridge.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 5th, 2012, 10:34 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tony looked at the bottles with an arched eyebrow before turning to watch the agent walk away. “You could just - give them to him yourself,” the playboy called after her, the last bit trailing off into a grumble as she ignored him. Casting a glance in Steve’s direction he grabbed the bag and carefully flung it up over his shoulder.

As they all stood together in the gate, Heimdall overlooking the group in silence, Thor came up and dropped a hand on Tony’s arm. “Thank you, my friend, for coming. I am still most regretful that you came to harm -”

Tony shook his head and waved off what had to have been the millionth apology. “I’ve had worse,” he said carelessly, again for the millionth time. “Don’t worry about it, Thunderhead. It’s fine.”

The others all stood near the opening of the gate and Tony moved to join them, standing next to an uncomfortable looking Bruce. Clint didn’t look any happier, standing over between Natasha and Steve.

“I guess this means we can’t take the bus home,” the archer muttered.

“Be well, my friends,” Thor said in final farewell, standing back beside Heimdall as the dark-skinned being slid his sword into slot the rested in the center of the room, setting the gate into motion. “I hope we shall meet again soon.”

The gate behind them opened, and two gods disappeared in a flash of rainbow.

-------

Several Weeks Later

A soft buzzing alarm filled the workshop, the computer screens all blinking red as JARVIS sent information scrolling across them at breakneck speed.

“Test failed,” the AI reported calmly.

From his place at the workstation Tony swore, rubbing a hand down his face while his free hand swung out, slapping a glass from the table and sending it crashing. ”Goddammit!”

The outburst was unusual and the bots all hummed nervously in the background and Tony swore again, kicking aside a waste bin as he paced away from the desk. After taking a few seconds the genius calmed down, dragging his fingers through his hair in pent up frustration. He went back to the station, careful to avoid the shattered glass that Butterfingers was sweeping. He bent over the smooth surface, palms pressed flat against it as he let his head hang. “Try again, JARVIS.”

“Sir, might I suggest that you get some rest-”

“No.”

“-the suit can wait for you to-”

“JARVIS.” Tony’s voice was unusually snappish as he addressed his AI. Completely unbothered the computerized voice went on with calm decisiveness.

“Sir, we cannot try again until a new thread of programming has finished compiling. I understand your concern with the weaknesses within the armor’s technical defenses, but there is only so much that can be done at one time.”

Tony sighed, knowing that JARVIS was right. They had been working on correcting the suit’s defenses ever since the team had returned from Asgard nearly three weeks ago. Tony had, to his horror, discovered that the system was not nearly as impregnable as he had once thought. They had been running full on tests, JARVIS playing defense while Tony did his best to hack the weaponized suit in every way possible. For nearly twenty-four straight hours they had been at it, and Tony had won every single time.

This was the first time he had ever actually wanted to lose.

“Sir?”

Shoulders slumping Tony shoved away from the table. “Fine. Keep running the data strings and building up the firewalls. I’m going out.” He needed a drink. Badly.

“Of course, sir.”

All but storming across the workshop towards the elevator, Tony halted as bright square of yellow amidst the clutter on one of the other workbenches caught his eye. He stared the manilla envelope down as though it were about to jump up and bite him, his mouth set in a tight frown but his eyes thoughtful. After a few seconds he snatched it up and headed for the elevator again.

“I’ll be at Rogers’, J,” he informed the AI as he stepped into the waiting car. “Call me when the program is ready.”

banner by me

Last edited by Henoluin on August 6th, 2012, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 6th, 2012, 2:30 am 
Ent
Ent

The streets of Manhattan were bustling, despite the weather. The pavement was slick with rain, tempers were high, and cars were splashing down the roads in hopes of beating the evening traffic. It was the perfect recipe for a disaster and unwanted conversation for the poor soldier, who slipped through the crowds with an arm over his head to keep the rain out of his eyes. But Steve had never been one to hide out at home when he knew he was needed elsewhere. Coughing, he slipped through a narrow alleyway and hurried down the dark, narrow path. With another quick glance over his shoulder, he stopped before a rusty door and pulled it open.

The kitchen was less than impressive. In fact, it was half the size of Steve's apartment, but it seemed much more cramped due to the stacks of old pots and pans that were piled high on the counter. The seating area wasn't much bigger, though most visitors didn't seem to mind, seeing that they were there mostly for the food and less for the comfort. Upon the soldier's arrival, a small, white-haired woman rushed forward and wiped her hands on her apron.

"Stevie!" Her brown eyes were lit with delight as she reached up and cupped Steve's cheeks with her small palms. She planted a kiss on his forehead. "My dear boy, you are completely soaked! What happened to buying that umbrella?"

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Wilson." Steve gave a sheepish, dimpled smile. "I'll remember next time."

"That's what you always say." The woman clicked her tongue and took the soldier's leather jacket. "I would scold you for coming in such weather, but I admit, we could use your help." Mrs. Wilson turned her head and gestured towards the long line of people pouring through the public entrance of the soup kitchen. "It's busy tonight. Chef's in over his head, the poor man."

"I'll see what I can do." The soldier kissed the elderly woman's white curls and brushed past her to slip on a red apron. He took his place at the front and automatically began ladling the warm chowder into bowls. The rest of the crew, which was mostly made up of older men and women, greeted him warmly. They worked in synchronized harmony with Steve towering in between them and handing out the bowls carefully. Many regulars paused to thank the soldier for his service and to welcome him back to the kitchen. As the line moved along, Steve's smiles became more frequent and relaxed with each guest.

"Mr. Rogers, it is such a pleasure to see you again." A woman in her mid-forties smiled as she accepted a bowl of soup from Steve. "It's been awhile. Joey has missed you." A young, toothy boy hopped up and down beside the woman.

"C-Captain!" He cheered, raising his little fists in the air. Steve couldn't help but smile as he poured a little extra soup in a second bowl and handed it to the woman.

"Sorry, Miss Lewis. I've been busy. But it's good to be back." He turned to the little boy. "You been working on those moves I showed you, buddy?" Joey punched the air playfully and spun around.

"One-two-kick!" He shrieked with laughter, but was cut off as he stumbled back into the man standing behind them. With a gasp, he scrambled to his feet and retreated behind his mother. The man glowered.

"Watch where you're going." He spat on the ground and swayed a little. The bottle from his hand slipped through his fingers and crashed to the ground.

"It was a mistake, sir. We're sorry." The woman placed a protective arm around her son's shoulders.

"You're here every night with that whiny *beep* son of yours. Stealing all the good food for the rest of us." The drunkard slurred. Joey, who didn't understand a word the man was saying but was frightened all the same, began to cry.

"Now, now..." Mrs. Wilson hurried forward, trying to reach for the man to calm him down. "... we don't want any trouble, sir. It was an accident. The child is clearly sorry."

"With all due respect, mind your own damned business, Linda." The drunkard snorted. As he reached out to snatch a bowl of soup from one of the workers, Steve reached over the counter and caught his hand. There was a rare, dangerous look on the soldier's face.

"Get to the back of the line." His voice was calm, but his eyes spoke otherwise.

"What, you think wrapping yourself in a flag and serving some cold soup makes you better than me?" The man spat in the soldier's face. Steve locked his jaw. He tightened his grip over the drunkard's wrist.

"I won't ask you twice."

The man sucked in his breath, as if he were going to challenge Steve to a fight, but then he exhaled and scowled.

"The soup on Elk Street is better anyway." He muttered, wrenching himself out of the captain's grip. And with that, he stormed out and into the rain. The room seemed to sigh in relief. The mother turned back to Steve and took his hands.

"Thank you."

"No need to thank me, ma'am." He gently slipped his hands out of hers with his eyes trained on the soup bowls again. "Was never a fan of bullies."

"All the same..." The woman smiled and took her son's hand. As they walked away from the counter, Joey turned around and waved energetically at Steve. The soldier smiled hesitantly, reached into his pocket, and tossed a packaged cookie at him. The boy caught it, his eyes lit with excitement. He continued to wave as they rounded the corner.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 6th, 2012, 4:59 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tony waited outside of Steve’s apartment for five whole minutes before coming to the decision that the soldier wasn’t home. After that he walked the two blocks to the gym, not caring that he hadn’t grabbed a proper jacket or that he was getting throughly soaked.

Slipping into the old community gym Tony tossed his hood back and looked around. The place was deserted except for a few people having a go at the sandbags. His mouth twisting in frustration Tony wracked his brains, trying to figure out where Steve was. Unfortunately he had no idea how the soldier spent his days.

“S’cuse me, sir, can I help you?”

The playboy turned, shoes squeaking on the hard floors. “Ah, sorry, I was just looking for someone,” he said with a shake of his head. “I thought he’d be here.”

The big man who had spoken smiled cheerfully and looked around the gym. “Not too many people willing to brave the rain just for a work out today,” he commented. “And we don’t get a whole lotta regulars anyway. Anybody I could help you find?”

“Er, his name’s Steve, Steve Rogers. You probably know him, tall, blonde hair, apple pie smile.”

The other man grinned wide. “You mean the Cap. He’s one of my regulars. Won’t be here today though, not unless he finishes early or comes in real late. He hasn’t been around in a while so I don’t know for sure, but since today’s Monday my bet’s that he’ll be at Linda’s.”

Tony gave the man a blank look that clearly indicated that he had no idea what Linda’s was. “Soup Kitchen,” came the quick explanation. “S’far as I know Cap volunteers there every Monday. It’s just up the block, turn left when you hit the corner.”

Tony thanked the man and headed back out into the rain, a laugh tugging at his mouth. Steve volunteered in a soup kitchen. Of course he did.

It took him a bit to locate the place, and he finally found it only via the steady stream of people ducking in and out of the building. A sign above the door read simply “Soup Kitchen, all welcome,” and listed the hours. A man smelling heavily of drink crashed through the door as Tony reached to open it, slamming into the playboy and nearly sending him crashing.

“Watch where you’re going!” the man snarled, shoving at Tony before staggering off into the increasingly heavy rain. The playboy simply glared after him, wondering what the guy’s problem was before stepping inside.

The space before him was cramped, no bigger than a three car garage, if that, and full to the brim with people of all ages, shapes, and sizes. The noise level was surprisingly low, since most of the people appeared more interested in eating than they did in talking. At the far end of the room and around a corner a line was stretching, leading to what Tony assumed was the kitchen.

Between the closely spaced tables an older woman with snowy white hair bustled with a startling amount of energy. As she came his way Tony stepped forward, combing a hand through his hair awkwardly. “Excuse me?”

The woman looked up, her face breaking into a kind smile even though it was obvious that she was busy. “Good evening, dear,” she greeted. “Are you here for dinner? The line begins just there,” she pointed.

Tony blinked in surprise, though he couldn’t exactly blame the woman for mistaking him for one of her usuals. After a day of straight working and a walk in the rain he probably did look rather like a half-drowned hobo. He grinned a little and shook his head. “Actually I was looking for a... for someone. Captain Rogers? Someone told me-”

If it was even possible the woman’s smile turned even brighter. “Oh! Stevie? Yes, of course. He’s in the back.” Suddenly looking him over, she tsk’d in a grandmotherly fashion as she patted his jacket. “You’re soaked through. Honestly, young men. Not capable of carrying an umbrella,” she scolded, shaking her head in cheery exasperation as she led him among the tables and towards the back. “Steve is such a sweetheart, always coming to help out,” she informed the playboy. “Honestly, it gets so busy around here sometimes I just don’t know what we’d do without him. You two are friends?”

Tony blinked, rubbing his neck thoughtfully before smiling lopsidedly. “We work together,” was what he finally settled on.

“How nice. Oh dear,” she sighed as a loud crash sounded from the other end of the room, a child had dropped their dishes and the floor was now a mess of soup and glass. “I’ll have to get that. You just go on to the kitchen, honey. It’s right through that door on the left. I’m sure Steve will be happy to see you.”

The playboy hesitated before nodding at the spill. “Can I...?”

The woman all but beamed again. “Thank you, dear. You wait here, I’ll have to go get a mop. Oh, don’t worry, sugar,” she soothed the sniffling child who stood nearby, obviously upset by the spill. “It’s alright. We’ll get you another plate and a cookie to match, how’s that sound? That’s right, you come right on back with me now and we’ll get that taken care of.”

Tony watched as the woman - who he now assumed was Linda - headed for the kitchen with the child and his mother in tow. Not really sure of what else to do, he crouched down and began collecting the larger bits of glass.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 1:06 am 
Ent
Ent

"Mrs. Wilson, we're almost out of--" Steve stopped when the old woman picked up the mop lying on the side of the counter. He turned and placed a hand on each of her shoulders, giving her a look. "Now, now, Mrs. Wilson. You know that you shouldn't be mopping with that back of yours. Why don't you let me handle that?"

"Oh, Stevie. You're such a sweetheart." The little woman laughed and planted a kiss on his cheek. "Go on, then. There's a nice young man waiting out there for you."

Assuming that she meant the man was waiting for the mop, Steve smiled and shook his head before walking out the kitchen. He switched the mop to his other hand and stopped short when he saw a familiar figure crouched over the broken shards on the dirty floor. He frowned, stepping closer for a better look.

"... Stark?"

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 1:25 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Turning his head to glance over his shoulder Tony snatched the last of the glass, cradling it against his already sloppy jacket as he straightened. “You know, every time you see me somewhere that is always the first question out of your mouth,” he quipped dryly, amused by the soldier’s surprised and possibly wary look. “Yes, that is my name, thank you for noticing.”

Crossing the short, crowded space to one of the trashcans the playboy shook the glass shards into the bag, careful to make sure that he hadn’t allowed any to miss and end up on the floor. Dusting his hands off he headed back. It had not yet occurred to him that perhaps Steve might not want him there - that maybe the soldier had never said anything about his volunteer work because he wanted to have somewhere to go that everyone didn’t know about. Without thinking he reached out to take the mop; not that he knew a thing about mopping floors, or about cleaning in general, but how hard could it be, right?

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 1:39 am 
Ent
Ent

It took Steve another full minute to recover from his shock. Shaking his head, he took the mop from Tony and held it firmly in his hands.

"You can't hold a mop like that. You'll be here all night. Try putting your left hand a little lower." He handed the mop back to the playboy and slipped his hands into his pockets. As the people continued to pour in through the door, almost every one of them greeted Steve by name before slipping around them towards the food line. Steve seemed to be a little embarrassed, but pleased to see each of them at the same time. He rubbed the back of his neck and glanced back at the playboy. Whatever Tony was here for, he obviously wasn't going to be upfront about it. And something told Steve that asking the playboy why he had suddenly decided to make an appearance would probably be a bad idea. With a shake of his head, he spoke.

"After you're done with that, we could use a hand in the kitchen. Chef's about the bring out a new pot and the night is not even halfway done. Might as well be useful while you're here." As Tony looked at him, Steve shrugged a little. "It's not much, I know. But since you seem to be such great progress with that floor already..." He slapped a hand on the playboy's shoulder in a slightly patronizing, but good-natured way. "... think about the wonders you'll do when you learn how to ladle soup."

And with that, the soldier walked away, chuckling quietly to himself as he disappeared into the kitchen.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 2:00 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

“Learning how to ladle soup”, as Steve put it, was not as new an experience for Tony as the soldier might have thought. Maria Stark had always been a woman who enjoyed charity work, and in spite of being one of the top families in the country she had often spent weekdays in soup kitchens. Sometimes Tony was dragged along, though at first he’d been to young to really help. After his parent’s deaths the young Stark had spent hundreds of thousands on charities in his mother’s name. A string of soup kitchens in both New York and Malibu were among the many.

He spent most of his time observing - and being playfully and kindly scolded by Mrs. Wilson whenever he happened to not scrub a pot just quite enough. Somehow he had ended up on dish-washing duty, and he suspected that Steve might have arranged it as some kind of payback for all the jabs that Tony had ever made against him. The playboy had to admit to being well beyond his comfort zone, mostly because he was making something of an idiot of himself with even the most simple of kitchen tasks. The soldier, meanwhile, was completely in his element here, far more relaxed and prone to smile than Tony had ever seen.

Hauling a tub full of clean, dry bowls and spoons over to the counters where the soup waited Tony began to set them out for Steve to fill. He watched as more than half of the people thanked the soldier by name, some even pausing to share stories about family members, etc. He glanced over as Steve finished one such conversation. “Aren’t we the popular soldier boy,” he commented airily, careful to keep his tone neutral and neither teasing nor goading.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 2:31 am 
Ent
Ent

Steve glanced over his shoulder at the playboy and shrugged a shoulder, but there was warmth in his features.

"They're nice people." He said simply. Suddenly, he stepped away from the line of servers and gestured to the open space. "Mind taking over for a few minutes? I need to check on Chef." The soldier disappeared before Tony could answer. Fortunately for the playboy, the line was moving along slower now that the initial rush was over. Most thanked him, every now and then giving him a second look with a flicker of familiarity in their eyes. As the last few people trickled in, two children-- a boy in his preteen years and a younger girl, perhaps no older than five-- stepped forward hesitantly in front of Tony.

"Excuse me, sir... but..." The boy looked nervous, but he shot his little sister a dirty look when she nudged him from behind, her blue eyes wide with curiosity. "Hannah... that's my sister... she was wondering if you... well, if you were the Ironman?" When Tony didn't reply straight away, the boy continued, this time rambling.

"It's just... you look just like him. We read about you... him... in the paper all the time. My sister wanted me to ask, but I told her she was stupid for thinking a man like you would actually be at a place like this..." He faltered. "... not that Tony Stark wouldn't... I mean..." He trailed off, his face red.

The little girl, presumably Hannah, chewed on the end of her pigtail and held out a sloppy crayon drawing of a stick-figured man in a red and gold costume. She beckoned Tony closer so that her little mouth was to his ear. She spoke in hushed tones, as if it were a secret.

"You're my favorite hero."

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 9th, 2012, 9:19 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tony had never been good with kids. Usually when he had to deal with them it was with a cautious aloofness as he was rushed through crowds, occasionally stopping to sign the plastic mask of a kid or two at some event.

Still, he had seen Banner and a few of the others interacting with them at times so how hard could it be? He came around the counter, dropping down on one knee so that he was closer to the little girls level. “I am, huh?”

She nodded seriously.

Tony smiled and glanced up at the brother, who shifted on his feet awkwardly. “That’s your brother?” Again, she nodded.

He looked back down at the little girl, his face playfully serious as he looked to her for honesty. “Am I has favorite, too?”

The brother blushed as Hannah bobbed her head in affirmation. “Uh-huh.” She leaned forward to whisper again. “He wantsta be just like you when he’s bigger.”

Tony winked at the little girl when she pulled back before looking up at the pre-teen with a lopsided, slightly wry grin. “Is that so?”

---

Half an hour later the line had finally dissipated, everyone who was coming already seated in the dining area. The kitchen was now in clean-up mode, and Tony walked back and forth between the dining tables, gathering up any leftover dishes that hadn’t been turned in.

Mrs. Wilson walked after him, wiping down the empty tables with a soapy dishrag. Stopping to grab an abandoned dish, Tony paused as he caught sight of the kids again, sitting and eating at one of the far tables. “What’s their story?” he asked, nodding towards them. Mrs. Wilson looked up and followed his eyes, her own softening sadly.

“Johnny and Hannah? Orphans, poor dears,” she answered quietly. “Their parents died in a car accident, about... oh, six months ago? Their father liked to drink, and...” the woman trailed off, to kind to voice any actually insinuations. “They bounce around from foster home to foster home; for some reason they just can’t seem to find the right family. They come by nearly every week, on arrangement with the orphanage. Phillip and I - that’s my husband - we sponsor them sometimes, for weekends and things whenever they’re between places. We’ve talked about taking them in ourselves, you know, but Philip is retired and what with running the kitchen here... well, money just isn’t what it used to be.”

Tony watched as Johnny leaned across the table, whispering something to Hannah that made her giggle softly. From the kitchen Steve appeared, crossing to the table and sitting down beside the little girl, who immediately crawled into his lap. She tugged hard on his shirt before pointing at Tony and whispering with excited eyes. The soldier grinned a little and nodded, saying something in reply that was too quiet for the playboy to make out.

“Stevie’s been such a sweet young man to them. Spends hours telling them stories all about that Iron Man,” Mrs. Wilson informed the playboy. Tony looked up in surprise. “Hannah’s quite taken with him, you know, though I’m sure she told you,” the elderly woman went on, a playful, knowing twinkle in her eyes as she bustled past Tony to retrieve some more dishes. “So is Johnny, come to think of it. He’s so protective of Hannah, and seems to think that if he could just grow up to be Tony Stark then he might be able to make things all right for her.”

Tony listened with that careful, thoughtful yet blank expression that he so often wore when people talked about this kind of thing. He wasn’t sure what confused him more - that a kid would actually want to be him, or that Steve told stories about him.

The place was fairly empty now; the kids, Steve, and two or three others the last people in the dining hall. The playboy carried the tub of dirty dishes to the sink and began to drop them in the sudsy water. He remained in the kitchen until the dishes were done, listening to the occasional laughter that would bubble in from the other room.

banner by me

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 9th, 2012, 11:49 pm 
Ent
Ent

After awhile, the kitchen door swung open and Steve marched in with Hannah in his arms and Johnny at his side. The soldier gave a dimpled smile when Tony looked up. He whispered something in Hannah's ear. The little girl smiled widely and hopped out of his arms. Stumbling over herself, she hurried over to the playboy and threw her arms around his waist.

"Will you come again, Mr. Stark?" She asked, her eyes wide. Johnny lingered back, watching his sister with Tony from afar. Despite the fact that he had a little more control over his emotions, there was still a hint of hope in his features. Steve, on the other hand, had somehow assumed an even more innocent expression than usual. Whistling to himself, he stacked the rest of the dishes together and placed them in a cupboard nearby.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next