Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: To The End [Private]
PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 6:06 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige watched Evan dash off first, Rick closer behind her while Shaun and her stayed where they were. She turned, watching him mount his bike and kick-start it. He looked like a natural sitting astride it, not bothering with a helmet, turning his head and flashing Paige a smile.

"Getting on?" He gestured to the bit of seat just behind him. Paige imagined sitting there pressed against him, arms around him to keep her secure. She shook her head to rid herself of the image and Shaun took it as a 'no'. "Okay, some other time then."

She nodded, not trusting herself to speak and started jogging back towards the truck. As she did so she heards a shout and not long afterwards a gunshot. Her heart skipped a beat and she went into a flat-out sprint, hearing the sound of Shaun starting up his bike behind her. They reached Rick and Evan and Paige gagged at the sight of the dead body lying there.

"What happened?" She asked, out of breath and freaking out.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 6:11 pm 
Vala
Vala

Evan was still trembling when Rick released her and the other two joined them. Lindsey got out of the truck at the same moment, running with tears in her eyes towards them. Ignoring the question she'd been asked she embraced the girl when she reached them, hugging her close. It wasn't the first creature she'd killed, obviously, but it was the first time she'd fired a gun at one. It took Evan a second to realize Rick had relieved her of the weapon when he let her go; her mind was so scattered.

"A walker," Rick responded, wiping his brow. "Evan took care of it, we're okay. But we shouldn't hang around. The sound might have attracted more of them."

"A walker?" Evan asked, peering at Rick over the head of the blonde in her embrace; the girl was still shivering, and Evan wondered why on earth she hadn't driven the car off or at least honked the horn.

"A dead thing. That walks. A walker." He shrugged.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 6:17 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"Walker. Nice name. I tended to just call them by the names of people I used to hate but Walker sounds a bit easier to remember," Shaun joked, obviously trying to ease the tension. "Nicely handled, Evan. Looks like you're gonna be a good choice to have watching my back."

Paige walked over to Lindsey and Evan, wanting to make sure they were alright but also needing a moment away from Shaun. He seemed too casual about the entire situation and it made her feel even more freaked out.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 6:23 pm 
Vala
Vala

"I've never fired a gun before," Evan admitted. She released Lindsey and then looked to Rick. "You're right. We should go. Shaun, why don't you follow behind us on your bike?"

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 6:30 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"Sounds good," Shaun smiled, getting settled on his bike again. "I'll wait for you guys to get on in your van and follow on behind you. Though you're always welcome to ride on the back, Paige."

Paige shook her head, looking at Rick and Evan and hoping they couldn't see her flushed cheeks.

"I think I'll stick with the car. Safer and stuff..."

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 6:34 pm 
Vala
Vala

When they returned to the truck Evan got in the back with Lindsey, chattering to the girl about anything she could think of. They'd been close many times before, but this was the first time since the two had crossed paths that Lindsey had been alone when attacked. It hurt Evan deeply to realize she'd left the girl in danger simply because of throwing a temper tantrum. But the incident did more than reaffirm that she was right; Lindsey shouldn't be dragged around when they were out looking for gas.

Rick got in the driver's seat, tucking the keys into the ignition, but then he turned and peered into the back. "Are you alright?"

Lindsey nodded. "Yeah. I'm fine. I didn't see it, it came from behind."

"We've got you now, kiddo," Rick said, smiling gently. "And we met a new friend, so now we've got more fire power if we'd need it."

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 6:39 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige slipped into the passenger seat next to Rick, surprised that he reffered to Shaun as a friend already. Did he really trust them, or was this all an act? She decided now to trust him as much as she could but she couldn't help but doubt him, it was in her nature.

"So, what now?" She looked to Rick, who was in the driving seat. "We keep going towards the town?"

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 6:41 pm 
Vala
Vala

"Nearest town, house, car..." He sighed, turning back in his seat, buckling up. "We need to find gas, as soon as possible."

"Paige," Evan started, her arms still wrapped tightly around the girl. "For the love of God will you please stay in the truck with Lindsey while we get some gas?"

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 6:45 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige looked back at Evan and bit her lip.

"I'll stay. But I don't want to always be the one staying behind. I know that by looking after Lindsey but if you two are risking your life while I stay here... Look, I just want to help pay you guys back for helping me. But if it really upsets you then fine, I'll stay behind for now."

She wondered if Shaun would stay with them too, if she could get to know him or if he'd want to be off in the thick of things.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 6:54 pm 
Vala
Vala

"I promise I won't order you around, and I promise you won't always have to stay behind." It was as far as Evan was willing to stretch, but she didn't want there to be another argument. She couldn't handle anymore emotional breakdowns. Now she needed to be strong, for all of them.

"There's enough gas in the tank to get you another few miles at lease," Rick said again, turning the engine off. They'd stopped just short of a small town, and Evan and him would go by foot from there. "If something happens or we don't come back, just go. I'll leave the keys in the ignition, and one of the guns."

Evan had already unbuckled her seatbelt and her focus was on the girl next to her. She brushed some blonde hair out of her worn face. "You stay safe and sharp. If any walkers show up," - she'd adopted the word from Rick, it seemed more fitting than any other - "honk the horn and we'll come back. Okay?"

Lindsey nodded. "Okay."

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 7:04 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige was glad that an understanding had been settled between her and Evan because they couldn't afford to have any more arguements. And knowing that she wouldn't always be confined to babysitting duties made her feel a lot better too. Also the fact that Shaun was staying behind too cheered her up, although she wasn't willing to admit it.

She rolled down the window while he stood outside, smiling in at her as he knew everything that was going through her mind. He was a pretty cocky guy, Paige had come to learn.

"So, what are we going to do now that we're all alone," he put on an exagerated sultry voice and pretended to blow a kiss to her, which made her blush yet again. "Okay, but seriously what do you want to do? I could teach you how to shoot?"

Paige shook her head. "What if Rick and Evan heard the gunshots? They'd freak out and proably kill us for terrifying them."

"Good point," he replied thoughtfully. "How about we just talk about you then?"

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 7:15 pm 
Vala
Vala

Lindsey rolled her eyes at the exchange, turning her back towards the couple, peering out the window instead, her eyes following Evan and Rick until they were completely out of sight and then she focused only on waiting for them to return safely.

Evan walked silently beside Rick, a gun in his hand and an empty plastic container in hers, which they had previously gathered gas in. Her senses were sharp, and her eyes kept darting around them, making sure no one and nothing could sneak up on them and take them by surprise. For a long moment neither said a word, but then Evan broke the silence.

"Listen, I'm sorry for my meltdown. I'm not really like that, I've just been holding back so much since this all started." She bit her lips, gazing at him through a curtain of hair.

He shrugged, offering her a sympathetic smile. "I know. I've... those moments have happened for me too."

"Because of your family?" she asked gently. The sun above was making her feel hot, and she rolled up the sleeves of her dirty blue hoodie.

"Yeah." He paused. "When I first lost them I spent a week not doing anything. I hid in an old apartment building, and I just sat there. I didn't want to go on; what reason did I have to keep fighting?"

"I know what you mean. It's not like I'm from a big family but the ones I had I loved so much. And I wasn't even at home... I don't know what happened to them." She sighed, tucking some hair behind her ear. They'd arrived in the town and they could see cars scattered, but they both preferred finding a gas station, because they didn't have anything to siphon the gas with.

"Did you ever think to look for them?" he asked then, cocking his head side to side, taking in the perimeter, as on guard as she was.

"No. Briefly, I guess. But not really. You see the world and what it's become. They were in the middle of London, if the walkers turned up there... there'd be too many of them for anyone to stand much of a chance." She bit her lip, enjoying the conversation but hating it at the same time. She liked getting to know Rick but hated how vulnerable it made her feel to share such personal information. "I found Lindsey though, and I've got to think there's a reason for that."

"I'd like to think that too." He glanced at her awkwardly, his lips forming the shade of a smile. "I mean, I'd like to think I found the pair of you for a reason. Maybe I'm meant to keep the both of you safe."

She smiled then, a smile that reached her eyes. "Maybe."

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 7:25 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige thought back to her life before the walkers came. The arguements. The problems at school. All the tactics for anger management that she'd tried and how none of them had worked except dancing. She didn't want to talk about how much she'd effed-up, so she stuck with dancing.

"I'm a dancer," she said awkwardly, not used to talking about herself. "Or, I was anyway. I could only afford lessons in these really cheap, crummy rooms in an old warehouse but my teacher was the nicest woman I've ever met. When she saw how much I loved dance she gave me a set of keys for the studio and told me I could go wheneverI wanted. It's where I spent nearly all my time."

She thought longingly of the mirrored walls, the polished wooden flooring, the cheap stereo in the corner that she blasted muisc from and the feeling of moving across the floor totally seperate from the world. A longing sigh sliped from Paige's lips before she could stop herself. Suddenly self-conscious she sneaked a look at Shaun but he didn't seem to be laughing at her and was instead smiling almost sadly.

"Sounds nice. Were you any good? Think you could teach me how to dance? Though I warn you, I have two left feet!"

Paige found herself laughing at him. They hadn't know each other very long but she already knew that it was nearly impossible for him to take anything seriously and was good at making her smile or laugh.

"I think dancing would probably be too much of a distraction," she replied, still smiling. "But if we ever get to some sort of safe place, I'll see what I can do."

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 7:30 pm 
Vala
Vala

When the gas station came into view it seemed abandoned, but Rick and Evan both stayed low, couching, just in case it wasn't. Together they snuck up to it, slowly, eyes peeled, but they didn't find anything. They didn't find anyone. Their conversation had continued, from gruesome and painful memories to funny or embarrassing ones. Their words had only died down when they started creeping up on their goal for the entire outing.

"Okay, we'll do this quickly," Rick said when they'd reached the pumps.

"I'll handle this, why don't you go in the store and see if there's anything in there to salvage?" Evan suggested, moving into Rick's spot, taking over the task of retrieving gas from him.

"Good idea. Call me if you come across any trouble, remember that you don't have a gun."

For a moment he looked like he was going to say or do something else, and Evan stared blankly at him, but then he turned away without a word and crept towards the front door of the little store.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 7:50 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"So, what about you?" Paige asked, unable to contain her curiosity about him any more. "You almost never mention anything, why is that?"

"Just don't have much to mention, I guess," he shrugged, avoiding her stare. When she didn't say anything , he sighed. "Okay, fine, I'll tell. It was my idea to come over here to do a news report. Me, my sister and our friend. We survived okay at first because we had our truck and my bike. But then when we were helping another survivor out we were attacked. Totally overwhelmed. Me and my sister, we got away. But she was really badly hurt. She'd been bitten, a huge chunk taken out of her neck. We both knew she was done for and we'd made a promise to each other to take care of the situation if it ever happened. So I shot her through the back of her head, left her body in the van and drove off."

Paige looked at him in shock, knowing that no matter what she said it wouldn't be enough. She thought losing her family was bad, but at least she hadn't had to kill them herself. Shaun's arm was resting on the window and she reached out and placed her hand over his. He gave her a small look of gratitude that made Paige feel like she'd finally done something right.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2013, 8:02 pm 
Vala
Vala

When the walker attacked her Evan was taken completely off guard, even though she shouldn't have been. She turned, voice caught in her throat, and with her hands shooting up to hold it - previously a woman - away from her. For a second they struggled, and Evan had to take a step back, her back hitting the pump and her muscles screaming in protest of the pressure put on them. For a moment she thought she was done for, and she hadn't even called out to Rick, but then she pushed it to the side, causing it to stumble over its own broken right leg, and when it fell to the ground she grabbed her knife from her belt and pushed it into its rotting skull, right up into the hilt.

"Are you okay?" Rick called suddenly, and Evan looked up at him, mouth wide open, panting, trembling.

"I'm fine, I got it, I'm okay," she ranted. She'd fallen to her knees when she made her move and she got up on shaking legs. "It surprised me, I didn't have time to call out."

He was by her side in moments, steadying her, taking the bloody knife from her quivering hand. "I shouldn't have left you."

"Yes, you should've. It's not your fault." She took a moment to compose herself, taking a deep breath, fighting off the waves of nausea. "The container's full, we've got what we came for. Did you find anything useful?"

He eyed her carefully, releasing her from his grip. "Yes. It's clear in there, no walkers and no bodies. It's been pretty emptied out but I found some things, heard the commotion before I could grab any. Come with me."

His fingers wrapped around hers and he pulled her along; she was still too stunned to do much on her own. They left the body and the gas where they were, entering the small shop together. The air in there was dank and it smelled dirty, but it wasn't as bad as Evan would've imagined.

"There are a few bottles of soda, and some chocolate bars as well as chips." He pulled her along until they were next to the counter. "I found some plastic bags, let's just fill them up with whatever we can and get out of here. There are also a few packets of batteries and I found two lighters."

She nodded, accepting the plastic bag he handed her. While they were silently tucking away what few items they might need she was suddenly hit by a massive wave of adrenaline. She stumbled and he dropped his bag on the counter, reaching for her to steady her.

"I'm fine," she said, stunned. "Headrush. Or something."

"Or something?"

For a second she stared at him, taking all of his features in as if she'd never seen them before. The dark hair and eyes, the soft nose, the concerned expression, the stubble. His face looked worn, aged, as if he wasn't just 35 but at least 50, and yet it had so much youth to it. She realized for the first time - although she'd known it already - that he was thirteen years older than her. That was as many years as Lindsey had been on this earth. And yet, when her gut - or heart, or head, or the adrenaline; Evan didn't know for sure - told her to kiss him, she did.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next