Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: To The End [Private]
PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 3:38 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

After they'd finished laughing, Paige tried to go back to her usual scowling self but she didn't have the heart to. So Shaun and he sat together, occaisionally checking the windows to make sure nothing was going to sneak up on them. They made small talk at first, how good it was to have a shower and be clean, then Shaun frowned, pausing as he stared out the window.

"What is it?" Paige immeadiatly scanned the outside area, heart hammering, sure she'd see a load of walkers approaching the house. But instead she saw nothing except a few crows flapping their way across the horizon. "Shaun? What's wrong?"

"You are," he answered after a second. He held a hand up to stop Paige interrupting. "Look, hear me out. I always thought the most stubborn person I would ever meet was my sister, Georgia. Most people thought she was moody, but she was just all about her work, whereas I was the one who wanted to have fun. You remind me of her, except I don't know what you're all about. You just seem so locked up in your head all the time, as if you're determined to keep away from us and-"

"That's because I am," Paige interrupted, her voice shaking. Was she really that easy to read. "Every time I let people in they end up hating me anyway, so you might as well just hate me now."

Shaun looked genuinly confused almost as if Paige had spoke in another language. He shook his head.

"I won't hate you, Paige. I don't think anyone here would hate you, if you'd just stop acting like... like a harpy," he smiled but she didn't return it and he sighed. "Look, if you keep acting like this then yeah, everyone probably will hate you. But you should give them a chance, give yourself a chance. Just be you."

"Maybe this is me," she said, her voice barely audible. She stroked the fabric of her nightdress, which was so soft while she felt so hard and brittle inside. Did Shaun see the softness, while she knew that wasn't her. "Just forget it."

Leaving Shaun standing there, Paige retreated to the living room, his words going through her head again and again.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 4:53 pm 
Vala
Vala

Evan entered the combined kitchen and living room, seeing Paige, and then offered the girl a small smile. Her aim was on the tap, grabbing a glass from the counter and filling it up, before letting the water slide down her throat slowly. It was such a refreshing and joyful feeling, knowing that they could drink as much water they wanted and it wouldn't run out and they wouldn't be in grave danger because of it. Once the glass was empty again she turned around, leaving the glass in the sink, and leaning up against the counter. She looked to Paige again.

"Morning," she said, awkwardly, attempting a smile.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 6:23 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

It took a moment for Paige to register that Evan was talking and then she had to check the room for Rick or Lindsey before realizing the greeting was aimed at her. She coughed to disguised her awkwardness then offered a tense smile.

"Morning," she replied, still hearing the echo of Shaun's words. "Did you sleep well?"

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 6:29 pm 
Vala
Vala

Evan shifted a little. "I did. A bed. Can you believe it? A bed!" Evan gushed, she couldn't help it. Her back had relaxed during the night and stopped aching, and all the knots in her shoulders and neck had untied themselves from the touch of the soft mattress. Being indoors, not on the move, and with running water felt like winning the lottery. The smile that crept onto her features was unstoppable.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 6:33 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"I know!" Paige couldn't help but smile back. "I haven't been this grateful for a bed since I first went to college. My mattress back then was so think I'm pretty sure it was cardboard. I swear I could kiss the people who owned this house, the beds are perfect."

She stopped herself, blushing, realising she probably sounded like an idiot. The people who used to live here were no doubt long dead, part of the shambling monsters who roamed the world now and any attempt to kiss them would result in death. Paige shuddered at the thought of it.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 6:36 pm 
Vala
Vala

"I know what you mean," Evan said, ignoring all the gory thoughts the phrasing had awoken. She did know what she meant, and she did agree, to an extent.

Suddenly Rick entered the room, now wearing a full outfit, and he smiled at the both of them in turn. "Good morning," he greeted.

"Hi," Evan replied, a smirk dancing at her lips in remembrance of their earlier conversation.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 6:48 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"Morning, Rick," Paige muttered, voice quiet. Every time she thought she was making progress a wave of shyness struck her. She was about to make an excuse to leave when Shaun came down and slung an arm over her shoulder, smiling at her and then Rick and Evan.

"Morning troops," he grinned. "What's the schedule today?"

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 6:50 pm 
Vala
Vala

Evan saw Rick tense, although she had no idea why. He shrugged. "Nothing in particular. I think the most reasonable thing for us to do would be to rest up for a couple of days and then try to find more supplies."

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 6:57 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"You know, Rick, I was thinking," Shaun hesitated, biting his lip before continuing. "Maybe over the next couple days we could give the ladies some training. I mean, not just with guns but I guess that's a good start. I mean, you're a sherrif and me and my sister were trained so we're the best around here. No offence ladies."

Paige rolled her eyes, biting back a retort about how he was all that and modest too. Instead of speaking she just shrugged his arm off her and took a couple steps away.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 7:00 pm 
Vala
Vala

"That's a good idea, actually." Rick cleared his throat, moving until he was standing next to Evan. "You've done okay, but you could get better. So could you." The last part was directed towards Paige.

"We're not teaching Lindsey how to use a gun though," Evan said firmly. "I get that she might have to defend herself, and she's had a knife plenty of times. But not a gun. Not that."

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 7:06 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"I've never had to use a gun before," Paige confessed. "I was actually part of this group that educated people about the danger of using guns..."

She heard Shaun snort under his breath and wished she hadn't stepped away so quickly, if she was closer she could have elbowed him in the ribs. Ignoring him, Paige turned to Evan.

"I do agree with you about Lindsey though. She needs to be taught how to protect herself but a gun I think is too far."

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 7:09 pm 
Vala
Vala

Evan nodded when she saw that Rick also agreed about Lindsey. "Then I'm good. But we can't practice here, it'd be stupid. If any walkers heard the noises..."

"We'll drive some miles away before we practice," Rick shot in. "Lindsey will come with us, of course, and I can teach her some tricks for how to use a knife and close-range fighting too."

Evan smiled at him, happy that they had a plan for the day. Before she had a chance to say anything Lindsey appeared, her hair standing in every direction and her eyes still droopy with sleep.

"What's going on?" she mumbled tiredly, yawning.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 7:14 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"We were discussing a day trip," Paige smiled at Lindsey, who always seemed so much younger to her when she had just woken up or was tired. She could feel herself soften around her. "Rick and Shaun are gonna teach us a few tricks."

She sent a look to Evan, hoping she wouldn't mind Paige talking to Lindsey.

"Evan's given us the okay to teach you but you still get a choice," Shaun said as if he was on the same wavelength as Paige.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 7:39 pm 
Vala
Vala

Lindsey's naked feet carried her further into the room, until she could place her hands on the cold tiles of the kitchen island. "I'd love to learn some tricks - is there going to be breakfast?"

Evan and Rick both burst out laughing at the chance of topic.

"I'll throw something together," Evan promised, walking towards the cupboard that had their canned food tucked inside. "Canned peaches sound alright to everyone?"

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 7:41 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige found herself smiling as well. "Canned peaches sounds great. Anything I can help you with, Evan?"

She surprised herself with her words. She hadn't expected Shaun's words to have so much of an impact on her that she found herself wanting to please the other women in the group, yet here she was trying to be nice for a change. She held her breath, sure it was about to blow up in her face.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 7:43 pm 
Vala
Vala

"Not really," Evan replied. "Not that much to it. Just open and slosh out on plates. I've got it. You guys sit down."

Rick and Lindsey followed the directions, taking a seat at the large wooden table while Evan reached for some plates and then started working on opening the cans. She felt so excited for some reason, feeling like she could fly if only she tried. The feeling was sorely missed and hadn't been with her for too long; she clung to it, refusing to let go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next