Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: To The End [Private]
PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 7:47 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Shaun and Paige followed the others over to the table, taking a seat. Paige could hear her stomach growling from the thought of food, proper food and she couldn't help but fantasise about all the fancy meals she got when she lived at home and her parents could bothered to cook. A proper roast, with mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables.

"You know," she thought aloud. "Maybe if we stay here long enough we could grow some food. Potatoes and such. Or learn to hunt some of the wildlife, if they're safe to eat."

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 7:59 pm 
Vala
Vala

Evan continued her work, but listened to the conversation forming behind her.

"That's not a bad idea," Rick replied. "Come spring we should try to grow something ourselves, if we're still here then. I haven't seen any signs that the wildlife would be non-edible. Have you?"

Evan didn't know for sure who the question was aimed at, but she could easily guess Shaun.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 8:01 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Shaun shook his head, his hair flopping onto his face and making it clear he needed a haircut.

"It seems alright to me. I don't think they're affected the way humans are, at least not yet anyway. But I reckon we don't have much choice. Canned food won't last forever," he sent a grim look to Rick. "Though I reckon one of us should try it first. Like a test subject. Just in case it does do anything to us, you know?"

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 8:09 pm 
Vala
Vala

"Why, are you volunteering?" Evan asked, approaching the table, carrying three plates. She placed one in front of Lindsey who eagerly thanked her, the next in front of Rick and the last one in the empty seat next to him. Then she returned to grab the last two plates.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 8:13 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Shaun looked taken aback by Evan's question.

"Well, I mean, if I had to-" He started, mind clearly buzzing with trying to find an excuse, but Paige cut him off.

"I'll do it. I might as well do something useful around here," she said it as if it was no big deal, avoiding looking at anyone.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 8:19 pm 
Vala
Vala

"I don't think so," Rick cut in, just as Evan returned to the table, placing the last two plates there before sitting down. "I'll do it."

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 8:25 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"I don't think so," Paige said, her tone calm. She knew that what she said next was to have everyone agree with her. "You're close to Evan and Lindsey, they care about you, obviously. I've not got anybody for me. Plus, if you do it and something happens to you, then who will help teach us how to shoot. You and Shaun need to stay to teach, Lindsey's too young and I doubt Evan will risk leaving Lindsey."

She paused to eat some of the canned peaches, which tasted surprisingly good.

"Logically, it makes sense for me to do it. If anything happens to me, you're not losing anything, or anyone, important."

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 8:27 pm 
Vala
Vala

Evan rolled her eyes, then slammed a palm down on the table, causing both Lindsey and Rick to flinch.

"Just cut out the whole 'oh nobody likes me' crap!" she snapped. "We obviously took you with us, we obviously let you stay here, we obviously value your opinion. It's getting on my last nerve, I'm done listening to some sort of pity party! If you're so sure we all hate you and can't wait for you to be gone, then why don't you just leave already? Clearly, we mean that little to you and I'm sick and tired of hearing about it!"

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 8:34 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige sent Shaun a dark look. She never should have listened to his advice, what did he know anyway? Well, at least now she could be honest, what else did she have to lose anyway.

"Look, Evan, I'm grateful I got help from you guys, otherwise I would have died out there. But I mean, it was obviously Rick's idea. So don't pretend that you're desperate to be my friend or anything like that. I know I'm not a likeable person, I can deal with that in my own way. But this is me trying to be honest and nice. You guys don't need me as much as everyone else, that's a fact. Admit it and we can all move on from this stupidity and eat."

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 8:39 pm 
Vala
Vala

"You're being so stupid I don't even know what to say," Evan said, stunned. "I wasn't happy about Rick joining us either - because the last time strangers came into the mix we lost five people, one of them a six year old girl!" Evan's voice was trembling with anger and she waved Rick's hands away when he tried to calm her. "It's not so strange that I was careful at first, that doesn't mean you're someone we wouldn't mind losing or that no one here would care if you died. That's stupid and selfish and just... dumb!"

Rick attempted again to calm her but she pushed his hands off.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 8:44 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"A six year old? That's rough, I'm sorr-" Shaun started to speak then trailed off, as if figuring this was between the two females and it would be best not to interrupt. Paige saw him send a pleading look to Rick as if asking what to do.

"Fine!" Paige snapped, ignoring Shaun. "Maybe you would miss me, but in the end I'm just one of plenty. Given time maybe we'd get to know each other and actually like each other. But Shaun's right. Canned food won't last forever and we need to hunt. If we hunt we need to test the food. If I don't do it, then who?" She glared at Evan, challenging her. "Are you more willing to risk me, or Rick? Or Shaun? Or Lindsey?"

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 8:47 pm 
Vala
Vala

"My point is," she said, sending Rick a death glare when he opened his mouth to speak, "is that there should be a dialog about it. For us all to decide together who should put themselves in grave danger. Not you volunteering because you have this idea that we all hate you and wouldn't care if you died. If that's how we felt we'd have thrown you out of the car while it was still moving!"

"Evan," Rick started but his mouth closed at the expression on her face. Lindsey seemed to be the only one taking it easy, still nibbling on her food, attention focused elsewhere. Evan knew it was because the girl knew her so well.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 8:49 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"Then fine," Paige's voice was heavy with defeat and she had some more of the peaches before speaking. "Let's discuss it. We can even have a vote if it feels better. But I'm telling you now, even if I was your best friend you'd still end up chosing me to do it."

"So... We're voting for who risks their lives? That seems fair," Shaun sighed, pushing his food away untouched. "Somehow I've lost my appetite."

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 8:54 pm 
Vala
Vala

"Please don't make assumptions about me," Evan snarled, her appetite long gone too. "You don't know me, you don't know what I feel or think about anything!"

"Enough," Rick finally said. "Okay, we'll vote. Not that this doesn't seem absolutely insane, but we'll vote."

Evan was still glaring, anger reeking off of her, but nodded. "Fine. A vote."

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 8:56 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

"I vote for myself," Paige snapped the words out, glaring at anyone who dared to make eye contact with her. She turned to Shaun. "Your turn."

He shook his head. "Come back to me, I can't decide. This is insane."

PostPosted: May 18th, 2013, 8:58 pm 
Vala
Vala

"I'll do it," Evan said. "I vote for me."

"No," Rick disagreed. "I still say I should do it."

The only person who seemed unfazed by the entire thing was Lindsey, who had finished her food and was resting her face in her hands.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next