Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: To The End [Private]
PostPosted: June 4th, 2013, 10:12 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Shaun pulled the bike to a screeching halt after Rick honked the horn at them and once they were at a complete stand-still, Paige got herself off the bike, standing on wobbling legs, one hand still clutching the bike seat to stop her from collapsing completely. Shaun got off, looking much more at ease than her and grinned at her.

"Stop looking so smug or I'll throw up on you," Paige muttered, praying that her threat wouldn't actually come true as her stomach churned.

"It's fine, you'll get used to it," he smiled at her, rubbing her arm sympathetically. "And if you don't puke on me, I won't tell Rick and Evan about you screaming."

He winked at her and she glared at him, resisting the urge to smil with all her might.

"Just shut up and get out the knives you're gonna train us with, pretty boy," she quipped, forcing herself to stand up straighter and forcing herself to ignore the queasiness in her stomach.

"You think I'm pretty?" Shaun mock-gasped. "I'm flattered."

Paige rolled her eyes, not trusting herself to respond and walked over to where the truck was going to stop.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2013, 10:59 pm 
Vala
Vala

"I'll be fine, go," Lindsey said again, pushing Evan a little. Evan was reluctant to let her practice fighting alone, but she knew she was going to mother hen the girl to death if she didn't back off. It was just for a short moment, and she'd never be out of sight.

"I know, it's fine, you go. Knock him out if you can," she added, grinning a lot more cheerfully than she felt. Lindsey only nodded, heading after Shaun.

"Okay," Rick said, handing a gun to Evan and then looking towards Paige as well. "I'll go set up the targets and then I'll give you just some general pointers on what to remember when you fire your guns. Sound good?"

Evan nodded, gripping the gun tightly, taking care to keep her finger away from the trigger.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2013, 12:29 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige tried to give Lindsey a reassuring smile as the young girl came over but she was sure it probably just looked a bit manic. The thought of such a young girl holding a knife in her hand, learning what to do with it made her feel a bit sick. But she knew it was necessary so she just let Shaun take over, deciding to watch what he did for now and assist where she could, then maybe ask Evan and Rick if they could help her with guns.

"So Lindsey, have you ever used a knife before?" Shaun's voice was calm and patient but he didn't patronise the kid and Paige was glad of it. It might make the whole situation a little more bearable.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2013, 12:38 am 
Vala
Vala

"Yes," Lindsey replied. She cleared her throat, and straightened her back. "Evan and I were alone for a while, and she had the axe and I the knife. I've never really had to use it though."

Rick walked off, after handing Paige the other weapon, and set up the empty cans on a perfectly situated rock. While he was setting up for them Evan shifted from one foot to the other, eyes curiously lingering on Lindsey and her tutor. She wanted to swallow the worry but didn't know how.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2013, 1:15 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige wasn't used to holding a gun and was unsurprised that her hands shook a little as she gripped it. Hundred of crime statistics flashed through her head but she reminded herself that was the old life. She was aiming at tin cans. Okay so later she'd be shooting undead people but that was for later. She forced herself to stay away from the self-pity.

"Right, let's do this."

PostPosted: June 5th, 2013, 2:07 am 
Vala
Vala

It took Evan a good half hour before she was able to hit the can with every shot. Although it should help her when Rick leaned in close, his hands steadying hers, helping her aim, it didn't. She started trembling so bad that at one point she was sure she'd accidentally shoot one of her friends.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2013, 11:52 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige had been expecting Evan to be a natural with a gun and leave her looking terrible, so she was relieved when both of them missed the targets more than a few times. Once Paige could finally shoot the cans without having to squeeze her eyes shut and hope for the best, she let herself relax. Rick was focusing on helping Evan with her aim, so Paige turned to regard Shaun and Lindsey, wondering how they were doing.

His face was total concentration as he guided Lindsey. He made sure her feet were in the right position, her legs braced so as she lunged she wouldn't fall, guided her arms into a position that was easy for defence and attack. Although Paige couldn't hear his exact words, she could hear that his tone was patient. It was funny, Paige hadn't had Shaun pinned as someone who was good with kids.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2013, 12:16 pm 
Vala
Vala

Lindsey was obviously doing her best, eager to be a good student, and it touched Evan to see. But angered her at the same time. It wasn't fair that she even had to be there, holding such a dangerous weapon, learning how to use it against the undead as well as the alive, if it came to that. Rick's hand on her shoulder brought Evan's focus back and she shook her head.

"Concentrate," he said steadily. "Don't mind Lindsey and Shaun, they're doing fine. C'mon, shoot the can. You definitely can at this point."

Evan nodded, aiming, lining up the shot, and then she pulled the trigger. An excited grin spread across her features when she hit the target perfectly. Although a second later she let out a yelp, pointing towards the trees, fear building inside of her. She knew the others could see the group of walkers too.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2013, 1:19 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige had been so focused on watching the way Shaun moved, the way his eyes crinkled when he smiled that it took her a moment to shake those thoughts from her head and realize why Evan was yelping. When her brain and eyes caught up she started backing away, her grip tightening on the gun in her hand. She looked over to Shaun, who was standing protectively in front of Lindsey. He looked back at her, his face calm and he shot her a reassuring smile.

She couldn't smile back, just turned to stare at the walkers and then glance over at Rick and Evan.

"I guess we shoot them instead of cans, right?" Paige asked, voice shaking, betraying the fact that she had no faith in her idea at all.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2013, 2:20 pm 
Vala
Vala

"Sounds like a plan," Rick confirmed, his hands now gripping his own weapon. "It doesn't look like there's too many of them."

Evan agreed, realizing he was right. She could so far only see maybe six-seven of them, although she wasn't sure that was it. She threw a glance towards Lindsey and Shaun, and gave Shaun a look that said "keep her safe" and then she pointed the gun in front of her, legs spread, and aim only slightly trembling. They were still too far away for them to be able to hit them without wasting too many bullets, but they'd be upon them within seconds.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2013, 8:38 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Paige took a deep breath, steadying herself and before she could talk herself out of it she curled her finger around the trigger, aiming at the closest walker. The recoil from the gun still shocked her but she was pleased to see she'd managed to hit her target. It was only his leg, not his head, but at least it might slow him down. She took another breath, trying to aim more carefully this time and firing another round off which hit his shoulder which was at least a little better.

"You're a fast learner, Paige. Who'd have guessed?" She heard Shaun quip from her left and she could see from the corner of her eye that he was taking down one of the slower walkers by plunging his knives deep into their skulls. Thankfully he was still keeping Lindsey as protected as possible, showing her what to do and teaching her without shoving her straight into the danger.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2013, 9:45 pm 
Vala
Vala

Evan's first shot hit the target, piercing the walker's skull violently. The second one missed, and Rick threw her a glance, clearly telling her to concentrate. He'd already taken out several walkers who were making their way towards them much too fast for comfort. She swallowed, closing her eyes momentarily, allowing her heart rate to calm down. Evan would mess up if she panicked and that'd help no one. When her eyes fluttered open again she fired, and the bullet crashed through the skull of another walker. A grin found its way to her lips as she fired again, this time also hitting what she'd aimed for.

That was when she saw the large mass of walkers now emerging from the trees. Together they'd taken care of almost the entire small herd that had found them earlier, but the number of creatures heading for them now was too big. Much too big. Evan felt her breath get stuck in her throat and she couldn't help the violent trembling of her hands. She allowed her eyes to flicker towards Rick; what was the most reasonable course of action? They could dash to the vehicles and leave, although it might be too risky to head back home while the walkers were still on their trail. Rick seemed at a loss of what to do also, and Evan's eyes next flickered towards Lindsey. Her heart was pounding in her chest as she took out the final walker right in front of them, the big mass coming ever closer.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2013, 5:12 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The gun felt useless in Paige's hands as she saw the huge amount of walkers approaching them, but she kept firing. The fear helped her concentrate and she felled three more before her gun clicked and she realized she had no more bullets left. She backed away slowly, her heart hammering as she glanced at the others, no idea what they would do. Then Shaun was there at her side, shoving her towards the car.

"Evan, take Lindsey and get in the car with the others. Rick, drive and keep driving. Opposite direction from the house. I'll go on my bike and lead them away. If I don't go to fast, they'll stick with me. I might not distract them all, but it'll be enough to help you get away," he spoke quickly, having taken out his own gun now and punctuating his words by shooting down a few of the faster walkers. "Now go!"

"I'm going with you," Paige grabbed his arm, determined that she wasn't going to be useless. "Rick will have Evan to cover him and keep an eye on Lindsey, you'll need somebody to help you too. No arguements."

"Fine," Shaun shook his head, looking annoyed. "Is that fine with everyone else?"

PostPosted: June 6th, 2013, 6:19 pm 
Vala
Vala

Evan didn't even hesitate, she reached for Lindsey and lowered her gun which would soon be rendered useless. Rick wasted no time either, he simply nodded, firing again. Evan's hand wrapped tightly around Lindsey's fingers and she broke into a run, heading towards the truck. The plan was as good as any, because what alternatives were there? Without looking for what the others were doing - trusting that they would do as planned - she dashed towards the vehicle with the girl following as quickly as she could. Once there she threw the back door open for Lindsey and pushed her in. Then she turned, seeing Rick still firing. She got in the driver's seat and opened the door to the passenger's seat.

The second the key was in the ignition she turned it, the truck roaring to life. "Rick, come on!" she cried.

He turned on his heels and flew towards them and had barely even made contact with the seat before Evan pressed the gas pedal into the floor and they took off at top speed. Evan was shivering wildly, her hands almost unable to keep the wheel straight.

"Calm down, we're okay," Rick said smoothly. Evan heard a sob and realized it was coming from within herself, and not from the backseat. "They'll be okay too."

One part of Evan had wanted to argue, to tell Shaun that was a stupid idea and that it was even stupider of Paige to go with him, but she hadn't been able to. That part of her had been smothered by the part that needed Lindsey to stay safe. She dared look into the rear view mirror and her heart calmed down when she noticed the distance she'd put between them and the walkers.

"For how long should I drive before it's safe to turn around?" she whispered, not trusting her voice enough to speak any louder.

"I don't know," Rick admitted. He had a grim look on his face. "Where's your gun?"

"I've got it," Lindsey answered in Evan's place. "Here."

She handed it to him who instantly started counting the bullets, both in Evan's gun and his own. "We don't have much ammunition left," he said grimly. "There are two more boxes in the back, but that's it. And we don't have any food. Just a little bit of water."

Evan knew what he was saying. They couldn't be on the road forever, driving in the wrong direction.

"Maybe we could go back in an hour, or two?" Lindsey said hopefully from the back, after having buckled herself in.

Rick shook his head. "No, kiddo. I don't think it'd be safe to go back to the house at all today. We should drive for an hour and then wait there, keeping watch, just in case. We can head back tomorrow morning."

Evan's eyes flickered towards the sky above. It was only mid-day.

"What if they aren't there tomorrow?" Lindsey pressed. "What if the walkers found the house?"

"Then we keep going," Evan shot in. "That's all we can do."

Silence spread among them after her words.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14