Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jurassic Park [Private]
PostPosted: June 5th, 2013, 7:12 pm 
Vala
Vala

Private RPG between myself and motorkitty.

Bellatrix with -

Caitlin Rose Muldoon

Ian Malcolm

motorkitty with -

Alan Grant

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

Post subject: Re: Jurassic Park [Private]
PostPosted: June 5th, 2013, 10:36 pm 
Vala
Vala

I tried to stop the flutter in my stomach but wasn't able to. With a slender hand I pushed some of my red hair behind my ear, and crossed my legs. The wind caused the helicopter I was in to swerve, and my stomach again did a few back-flips. I'd helped my uncle before, in Kenya, with one of Hammond's other parks. But this was different. Jurassic Park was different. I knew, I'd been told, what the park was about. What lived there. But I wasn't able to believe it yet. I'd left Kenya a month before my uncle did to go back to school, but had grown tired of it only a few months later. Uncle Rob had called me up, saying that I should just come back and work on Hammond's new project. Then he proceeded to tell me what it was and I proceeded to laugh in his ear before hanging up. He hadn't been lying. And now, after having packed a large bag with necessities I was sitting in a helicopter that was heading towards Isla Nublar.

Another churn of the helicopter pulled me from my thoughts and I threw an annoyed look towards the pilot, who gave me an apologetic smile. I missed my uncle and I missed Hammond too, but mostly I missed working with what was my biggest passion; animals. Except this time I'd be working with something so much bigger than that. Both literally and metaphorically speaking. I'd tried to prepare myself by picking up a few dinosaur books, including one written by Dr. Alan Grant, who I knew would be visiting the park if Hammond got his way in a few short weeks. And Hammond almost always got his way.

Suddenly the view beneath me shifted from clear ocean to a soft greenery and I knew we were there. My heart started beating faster and I had to take a deep breath to keep from vomiting. I'd known for over two weeks where I was heading and what I had to expect there, and yet I couldn't seem to comprehend it fully. Dinosaurs. I was going to work with dinosaurs. That had been extinct for 65 million years. It felt impossible. The pilot said something to me but I didn't hear, but nodded anyway. Minutes later we touched the ground carefully and I wasted no time, unbuckling myself and throwing the door open.

"Caitlin!" It was my uncle, Robert, a rare smile on his face. He was a very kind man, really, but he did have trouble showing his genuine emotions most of the time.

"Hello," I said, waving my hand a little, squinting in the sun. Hammond appeared too, dressed in his signature white look, and with his signature smile plastered on his features. "Hi Mr. Hammond."

"Oh, no, no, Caitlin," he said, cheerfully stepping forward and shaking my hand. "Call me John, I've told you before. Was the trip easy and gentle?"

"Yes," I responded, smiling. "Hang on, I'll get my bag."

Before long I found myself in a jeep, answering Hammond's questions about school, work, life at home and my parents. My dad, Eric, and his brother - my uncle - didn't get along, so Robert never asked me about them, but Hammond didn't really know the meaning of taboo or "don't go there". I didn't mind, I was used to it. I'd worked alongside my uncle for years, and I'd worked for Hammond for over two.

Suddenly my jaw seemed to fall to the floor and my eyes opened so wide they almost teared up.

"Holy mother of-" I said, as Hammond told Robert to stop the jeep. "That's..."

Words had failed me. Common sense and all rational thoughts had abandoned me.

"That's..."

"Yes," Hammond confirmed, grinning widely as I opened the door and stepped out.

"That's a dinosaur..."

"It is."

"Holy mother of..."

And it was a dinosaur. A real dinosaur. Living. Breathing. The sun bounced off of its gray skin and for a second I thought I might pass out. I'd known, but how do you really know that you're going to see a dinosaur? It should be impossible. I'd always believed it was impossible. But there it was. A brachiosaurus. A real one. Alive.

"Dear God," I mumbled. "This is absolutely insane."

"Welcome to your new work place," Hammond said, still smiling, while I was unable to form any coherent thoughts at all.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2013, 4:54 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

My grandfather had offered to give me a private helicoptor onto the island but seeing as he'd already paid for so much for me, I declined, happy to be riding with other people. It wasn't exactly a short journey, first from Scotland to America, and then from there to the island. I would be glad for the company, at least part of the way.

Except much to my dissapointment, company meant a Doctor who was deep in conversation with a guy in sunglasses and a lawyer who decided not to talk to me once he learned I was related to the guy who owned the park. Can't say I blamed him, my grandfather was notoriously protective of his family. Even though my father and him hadn't spoken since my mother died ten years ago, my grandfather and I were still close. Because of his work we didn't get to see each other often, so of course I jumped at the chance to get some work experience working for him at his Island.

Okay, so technically my vetinary training hadn't covered dinosaurs, but what did that matter?

"So, aren't you a little young to be one of the experts that Hammond called in?"

I turned to see the guy who introduced himself as dr-something-or-other was addressing me, his hat removed to show his face a little better. He was a good bit older than me but he was handsome, that was for sure. I was tempted to come back with some smart-alec retort but I decided against it.

"Yeah, I guess I'm just a wee bit younger than you'd expect. But I'm no expert, just a trainee. I just graduated from Vetinary school and my grandfather wants the perspective of a fresh, young mind, as he put it," I smiled at him and he raised an eyebrow.

"Grandfather?" He asked, then sighed as obviously he put together the owner of the park, the similar accents and everything else. "You're John Hammond's granddaughter."

"Yep. Laurie Hammond, pleased to meet you," I held out my hand and he grasped it in a firm grip, his skin warm but a little rough. "What was your name again, sorry?"

"Dr Alan Grant. And it's a pleasure, I'm-"

His words were cut off as the pilot informed us we were landing. Seatbelts were buckled and we fell into silence as the helicopter shook and shuddered. For a few moments I was sure we'd plummet to our deaths just as we seemed to be at the island but thankfully the helicopter landed safely and I flung myself out of the door the minute it was safe.

I bent over, clutching my knees and trying my hardest not to throw up. I cursed my weak stomach and travel sickness and whoever had been stupid enough to invent helicopters. Taking deep breaths, I jumped when I felt a hand touch briefly on my back.

"Are you alright, little one?"

I looked up to see my grandfather standing there and I flung my arms around him to pull him into a tight hug. It had been three years since I'd last seen him and it felt good to see him again, even if he did still insist on treating me on a child sometimes, despite the fact I was twenty-four.

"I am now, granddad, I'm so happy to see you," I smiled at him as we pulled apart from our embrace as he shook the hands of the others and asked how their journeys had all went. "So, are we going to meet the others now?"

"Of course. And don't forget our main attractions," Grandfather winked at us and laughed, strolling on ahead towards the jeep, his cane making a gentle tapping noise as he went. We followed, and I heard Dr. Grant asking one of the others what exactly the main attractions were. I already knew of course and I laughed quietly to myself, looking forward to seeing the shock on their faces as they found out.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2013, 6:42 pm 
Vala
Vala

In spite of having been on the island for two weeks I still couldn't get used to seeing dinosaurs. Couldn't get used to them actually being alive, right there, close enough for me to touch. Robert snickered one night and said it looked like I'd permanently gotten a jaw that would drag on the floor whenever I moved. I'd scoffed and thrown a pillow at him. The living quarters weren't fancy, my uncle and I shared a room with two cots, but it didn't matter. After every single work day I was so exhausted that I fell asleep the moment my head hit the pillow. I learned the ropes of the park fairly quickly, and before long I was allowed to move around it without my uncle protectively by my side. I didn't blame him, though, because when I'd first been allowed to see the raptors move my blood had frozen and chills had found their way up my spine rapidly. Mostly I helped with whatever was needed, which included a lot of dirty and hard work, but I was also allowed to go on a tour and at one point I was even allowed in the lab to see triceratops hatch. That was my favorite moment, holding a tiny dinosaur in my hands, while a scientist explained the cloning process to me.

When it came to what my actual job title was it was hard to put a name of it. Robert was definitely in charge of security and making sure everything was running smoothly for the test weekend that was coming up, and I was either helping him or helping the rangers. I was impressed by the park, in spite of it not yet being fully functioning or finished, and hardly ever had a boring moment. But I also knew that we had a serious weekend ahead of us. Hammond's investors had gotten worried after an accident had caused a death - although my uncle refused to give me any details - and they wanted to send their lawyer together with two dinosaur experts to the park, to make sure they weren't making a mistake. At the same weekend, Hammond had invited his granddaughter - whom I'd never met - to come down as well. I knew how my uncle felt about it, and I was afraid I had to agree to an extent. Although the park had potential and although I was still mesmerized by the attractions, I wasn't sure if Hammond possessed the right kind of respect for what he was actually dealing with. My gut told me that something could go wrong, and if something did go wrong, it'd would go very wrong.

Of course when the day arrived I pushed it all away. I got out of bed, seeing that Robert had already left, and pulled on a pair of khaki shorts and a white tank top. Hammond had invited me to come with when they collected the others on the mainland but I was happy to stay behind. I was great with animals but not so much with people. That was another reason why school never went well for me. I was smart but just wasn't interested and the people made me uncomfortable. Especially since I'd been trying to throw myself into a field where women weren't really respected. Here, working with my uncle, I was given the respect I deserved and had earned. No one looked down on me for being a woman and no one looked down on me for not having turned 25 yet.

I sighed, tugging my hair into a ponytail and yawning slightly. There was a lot to do before the guests arrived, especially since most of the staff would leave for the mainland due to it being weekend, and the park didn't need more than a handful of people to run it anyway. Not for just a few guests. After grabbing my pocket knife and sticking my feet into my boots I left the room behind, my feet firmly carrying me towards the kitchen area so I could grab some breakfast before getting to work. The guests would be there soon and I needed to make sure the workers in the visitor's center had finished what I asked them the day before. In spite of myself I felt excited for the weekend, because this could make or break not only John and his vision, but also my future since I hoped to be employed at the park for many, many years to come.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2022, 5:08 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Shop and Save with our Discount Codes and Promotional Codes. Use our Promo Codes and Voucher Codes and we will give 20% of our advantage to striking goal.
Visit:
asos Promo Code
give me cosmetics Promo Code
ninja kitchen Promo Code
nike Promo Code
vonhaus Promo Code
Boden Promo Code
alpinetrek Promo Code
roseland furniture Promo Code
manomano Promo Code
debenhams Promo Code
travelodge Promo Code