Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A nevouse return...?
PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 9:06 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

So essentially I haven't RP'd in years, literally. I noticed a trend when i used to rp, i am awwwwesome at createing worlds, historys and charecters...i suck at acctual rp. I end up mary-sueing them, or killing them. I would quite like to rp again becuase it seems such a waste to create these things and never use them but i'm a bit nevouse about it now. Anyone got any advice?

Post subject: Re: A nevouse return...?
PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 10:10 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Location: Look to your left. Now back at this text. Did you see me?

Calm down. Take a deep breath. And then Nike it.

That is, just do it.

Seriously, the only way one ever improves at RP is by doing. You gotta get your neck out there and get to practicing. The art of building a balanced character is essential, but maintaining the character's equilibrium is a skill that takes lots of time and energy to hone. I learned to write 'Even Steven' characters in original writing and stories as recently as my Sophomore year of high school. I had been writing and RPing since I was probably around ten years old and as for those early times, I'll be the first to tell you I suuuucked. But by just getting out and doing, like I said, you improve. Some of my favorite tricks to ensuring that I get a good post in are as follows:

1.) Read the post you're replying to carefully. Read it again. Then reply.

2.) Don't be afraid of taking your time to respond. A well thought out post is a thousand times better than a quick post any day.

3.) Keep your posts simple. Complexity doesn't make for a better RP. Often, a complex character is better portrayed when simple writing is used to convey the more subtle nuances of a character's psyche.

4.) Use a thesaurus. (I prefer thesaurus.com.) Go trigger happy with the synonyms. Sometimes, a post that seems substandard really just needs a vocabulary revamp.

Those are just a few of the things I keep actively in mind while making a response. They're just helpful little guidelines for making sure that I write my best when I'm writing a reply and they work well for me. As for not 'mary sue-ing' your characters or killing them, I still refer back to my earlier paragraph. All that can fix that is practice mindfully writing a balanced character. If you would like, I would be fine with carrying out a mock up RP via PM for you to work out the kinks in your RP style before heading back out into the game. I myself haven't RP'd in quite some time, so it would be nice and refreshing for me as well :)

I hope I've helped in some marginal way, at least (:

"old soldiers never die, they just fade away."
- general macarthur

graphics by goldstrike
the barracks

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 7:46 am 

You beat me to it Anduril.. ;) I've been thinking to set up a Help & Advice thread for new or unexperienced RPers, where more experienced RPers can give advice etc. But also to make up new and original plots, as the RPG section had been quite dead lately..

Since I've been very, very busy last weeks, I'll probably set it up later this afternoon now I have more time. So if you'd like we could talk about there more. :)

To give you some tips already:

- Bad grammar kills a post. Check your spelling if you can, don't be lazy!
- Don't make two line posts. Small paragraphs are usually the best. Describe things and thoughts, the place you're in, to expand the world you're RPing in. Like Foot Soldier already mentioned, use synonyms! It makes a post so much better. :)
- About the mary sueing, don't be afraid to let your character have flaws. Let him be selfish, unfair, or a coward. No person is perfect, neither is your character. I personally love to have charries with flaws..

Foot Soldier - Hi there! :bye2: I see you're new to the board! Welcome! It's great to have another RPer around here! As you might have read I'm setting up an advice thread to attract more members to the RPG section, and perhaps they'll interested in RPing as well. So feel free to take a peek there once I've created the thread. :)

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 4:55 am 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Oooooo.... I shall have to hop over to that thread when you make it, Will. I know I may have a few tips to give that I have given others after rping with them. But to me the easiest way to be able to give tips is to rp with the person asking for them and helping them through it that way.

Anduril:
I agree with foot soldier. Just jump in and rpg! "Practice, practice, and more practice starts the road to perfection" Thats kind of turned into my motto lately(epseically with my drawing and all my friends asking how I get so good. This is the only answer I ever give.)
For the Mary-sueing... maybe rp with an experienced rper one-on-one that can help you work through it and make it better like foot soldier suggested. I'm always up for an rpg. In fact, an idea I just came up with is starting an rpg(of random topic, doesn't matter about what) thats specifically for rpers to help each other with their rping. Constructive critisism is great in many ways!

Profile       WWW     YIM