Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RPG Revival: Brainstorm
PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 4:56 am 
Elf
Elf

It's been a long time coming. :teehee:
Sharky's End has been... dying, really. We're lacking RPGs, and diversity in the ones we have.

What we really need is one really big, collaborative brainstorm. So here it is. :P

Do you have any half-ideas you thought no-one would be interested in? A character you can't find the right setting for? A craving to do a RPG based on a specific fandom / crossover of several? Post it and we'll discuss - and, eventually, we might get Sharky's back on form. Then we can hold a huge party. ;)
To start off: I kinda have that urge for something steampunk. Thoughts? :teehee:

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject: Re: RPG Revival: Brainstorm
PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 7:42 am 
Elf
Elf

Well, I had an idea to do a Doctor Who RPG, but nobody really seems to be interested. :p

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 8:32 am 

^ There are a lot of Doctor Who fans on this forum (or at least, there used to be) but I'm not sure how many of them are actual RPers. ;) Accept for some pictures in banners I've seen or know nothing of the Show, so I wouldn't make a good participant of the RPG. Perhaps you should go over to the Club section and check out if there are people in the Doctor Who club who would like to join? :)

I love historical RPGs, whether it's the Roman Era, or Medieval themed, I would absolutely love to have one here. A fandom could also be involved in this, like Troy or any other historical movie you can think of. :yes:

There have also been quite a few good Real-life RPGs around here. One was about a high-school kind of thing where students found a magical passage or something like that. It was really fun to play, especially as there was no fixed plot and everyone contributed with nice ideas to make it work. Sadly it died premature..

Darky: I've been wondering what Steampunk is, but I can't figure it out.. :blink:

Oh, and I also think that we (or the older RPers) should make a list with old RPers, we might contact and invite them to come back again. Like:
- Meldawen
- Smeagollum
- Gollum13
- Turwaithiel
- Revenge
- Turin
- Anduril Vanhlach
- Pippin
- FM

I know some may have retired from AU, but perhaps it couldn't harm just to make them aware of AU again, and perhaps they might return. :)

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 9:17 am 
Elf
Elf

Okay Will, I'll try that. :) Oh, I like that idea about the magical passageway thingy in a school. It sounds fun. I remember I had an idea that was sort of like that, except it was a place where writers were sent to when they had writer's block, but now I don't really know how that could work. :huh:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 1:15 pm 

^ Lets just stop saying such things about the Pirates RPGs. Yes we know there were many of them, yes we know people felt intimidated by them or found them silly or whatever. Some have left AU and moved the RPGs to another board to continue there, but some people liked those RPGs and I liked them. So lets respect that. Thanks.

And I know Frosty and you did start some RPGs, but most of them concerned lots of action and had a focus of fighting or military or something. Since I have no knowledge or interest in that field I never really joined them. But I believe there were enough people who did join right? Somehow they just never took off?

That's why we try to brainstorm here and perhaps make some new collective RPGs, which might become a success. So lets not concentrate on the failures. ;)

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 1:46 pm 
Elf
Elf

Elegost Eruaphadion wrote:
What other ideas would you suggest that are a bit off the wall then?

Could we perhaps do an alternate-universe of LotR? Or maybe an RPG based on The Hobbit, but with our own characters. That way we could do something to celebrate the upcoming movie. :) There's also Narnia, Pendragon by DJ MacHale, BBC Merlin, Smallville or some other superhero-type thing. . . .just throwing out ideas. :-D

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 2:26 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Just so everyone knows, I didn't drop off the face of the earth for anything. RPGing was really my thing while I was still in high school, but now I'm just ending off my first year of university and I've been so swamped with homework and working-for-money and etc (and also novelizing Star Crystal, the old RPG, incidentally, with Lady Dark Moon) that it hasn't crossed my mind.

I'm coming up on summer, but I don't really anticipate being back. It's not that I don't love you all, just that I think the RPG phase of my life might have kinda ended for now. So that's where I'm at :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 3:58 pm 
Maia
Maia

I have an idea. One where we all vote and agree on a story we all know and love. But then have it where a group of friends end up in that story just before the start. So they are apart of the story, and changing it based on how they act with it. In the end they have the choice to go back home or stay. And romance would also be a factor, like if a POTC, a guy falls for Liz while a girl falls for Will, it will change a bit.