Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Half-Life RP
PostPosted: April 13th, 2012, 7:05 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Okay, a while back, I got inspired to come up with an idea for a thread based on the Half-Life video games. They're kinda like a sci-fi action series of games. I'll tell you the rough premise of my story idea (along with some backstory on the series) in the form of a monologue of sorts by the character I plan on playing.

"It's been 10 years since the Black Mesa Incedent, where an accident of science opened up a super portal to another world and allowed an alien empire known as the Combine to invade in overwealming numbers. In seven hours, they took over the whole planet. A peace was negotiated at the cost of our freedom. But not all of us decided to roll over and play nice. Across the globe, there are scattered pockets of a Resistence. Most of them are headed up by doctors and professors who had some connection to what caused this mess. I'm no different, with the exception that my connection to the incident is tenative at best.

I was the head engineer at the Black Mesa science labs, but lucky for me, I called in sick on the day of the incident, so I was able to miss the complete and total disaster that happened. They eventually ended up setting off a nuclear warhead and leveling the facility regardless of whether everyone was out or not, but that wasn't enough to stop the portal from forming and letting the Combine through. Not long after they took control, they started to implement their changes. They put up something they called a 'suppression field', prevented us from having kids, started draining our oceans and stripping the planet of other such rescources. They said it was all "for our own good" and other such propoganda. Funny thing is though, they can pop in on our world whenever they want, but some of the lab boys from the Resistence tell me that once they're here, they're reliant on conventional transportation. Apparently that was one piece of technology Black Mesa was developing that the Combine didn't have, so it's something the Resistence is desperately trying to keep secret. The lab boys think most of this flies over my head,thinking me a 'glorified mechanic', as I hear some of the lab boys say behind my back. But that's fine, because I know something they don't. Something that, if I can get the right group of people together and pull it off, will make the Combine nothing but a bad dream. All we have to do is make our way across enemy controlled territory without getting vaporized, and break into a facility with security that makes Fort Knox look like a piggy bank. I know it sounds bleak, but what other choice do we really have?"

Now if you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to clear things up as best as I can. I hope this garners some interest, because this is something I've always wanted to put in effect.

Post subject: Re: Half-Life RP
PostPosted: April 13th, 2012, 7:27 am 
Istari
Istari

I would join but if I didn't play the games, I still can? I mean, I, by the reading your text, am able to jump into the world?

PostPosted: April 13th, 2012, 7:34 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Sure! That's why I put up the text, not only to set the theme, but to help somewhat familiarize anyone who never played the series. If you want, I could link you to some more comprehensive info, but really, I'm not expecting to follow the series detail for detail.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2012, 7:57 am 
Istari
Istari

Okay, so what characters would you suggest to appear? :)

PostPosted: April 13th, 2012, 8:01 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

You know that I'm in brother. Stilll fine tuning the character we discused, but I should be able to get him up soon. :-D

Previously Known As Orophin

PostPosted: April 13th, 2012, 9:45 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

That's fine, Orophin.

As to what kind of character, Cara, any kind will do. You could play an regular Resitance fighter, or maybe a scientist of sorts. For example, my charcter is a former industial engineer with a bit of a hidden past, for now. ;-)

PostPosted: April 13th, 2012, 10:11 am 
Istari
Istari

Name: Dax Riffkin.

Rank: Past-Private in the army, to be more exact: division of marines. Now: Resistance.

Appereance: Short, tanned, with small, always examinating blue eyes, with short, boy like hair and marines uniform. She never leave her quarters without a weapon. She always looks like she was going to explode.

Personality: She is a tomboy, spunk on a stick, very easy to amuse but also driven by vengeance, since her partner was killed by aliens. She is hot tempered and always ready to use a flamethrower, which is her favourite weapon.

History: When she was a kid, she always knew shewants to be a soldier, She went to army when she was 15 but was too hotblooded to rank up and stayed as a private for 6 years. Whe aliens came, she wanted to kill them all but was stopped by commander who didn't want to fight with them. Once her partner was killed, she joined the Resistance and she is assisting to scientists.

Hope that is ok ^^

Last edited by Cara on April 13th, 2012, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2012, 10:25 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

That's good.

Another thing about the world this will be set in is that the police and military forces in effect are called Civil Protection, made up of humans who decided to side with the Combine in exchange for slightly better treatment and are mor or less stipped of their humanity. Their standard operating procedure is usually random searches and beatings. If one of them dies, the Combine Overwatch gets a notification of their death and reinforcements are sent in.

The Resitance does have several spies among them, so if you wanted to do something like that, it's cool, but it's just an option. As it sits right now, you're character is just fine. I'll get a character thread up as soon as we get a few more people.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2012, 10:33 am 
Istari
Istari

I rather thought that she left her commanders and joined Resistance ^^ If military wants to side with aliens, that's even better, because she hates them so her left would be normal.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2012, 11:05 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Okay, I got the character thread up. I'll be working on an opening post in the next day or so, and hopefully a few more people might be interested in joining by then. :)

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 6:01 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I was really hoping this thread would garner some more interest. If anyone could find it in thier hearts to join, I would reeaally appreciate it. :hug:

PostPosted: May 5th, 2012, 7:33 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Okay, since Cara is taking a break from RPing for a while, I was hoping some one might be interested in coming in to fill in for her and\or bring in a new character. With her out, it's just me and Orophin, and it's really no fun to RP with just two people. So if anyone is interested, just let me know. :whistle: