Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: New RP Ideas
PostPosted: October 12th, 2014, 7:30 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

So, I guess we'll be starting this tomorrow, right?

~Married to Faramir of Gondor since 7/5/2014~

~*~Túranel Narussë Talintë, Daughter of Fëanaro~*~

PostPosted: October 12th, 2014, 10:24 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Yes, I'll be opining the thread tomorrow under the title "Following In Darkness Wake".

I did forget to ask a question about the thread though. Is everyone ok with the story following the movies? Because I've never been able to finish the books.

Also is there anything that you would like to change in the story, or do you want to keep it going as close to the story as possible?

I ask because I've been thinking about our characters finding Boromir, and helping him so he could live, but the way it happens would leave everyone else still thinking he was dead until they saw him later.

I really like the character of Boromir, if that wasn't already obvious, but if everyone would rather have it keep with him dying then that's fine by me. It was just something that I thought might be an interesting twist.

Previously Known As Orophin

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 1:50 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

YES!!! LET BOROMIR LIVE!!!
As evidenced by my banner, I love him too. Who would RP him?

And I'm fine with going by the movies, though I'm (surprisingly) more familiar with the books. There'll be a lot of Silmarillion nonsense in my part, so I'll explain anything that needs explanation.
Wait... you've read the Silm, right?

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 2:01 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I thought we might just have him be shared. So we would all control him when we wanted to do something with him, but if you are wanting to control him that will be fine. I'll just have to control him a little when we first get him, so I can direct the plot, and then I'd let you know when you could take control of him for the rest of the time.

I've read the Silmarillion, yes, but I'm not sure about the other people with us. I've also read the the fellowship, and some of the two towers, but I didn't get to finish it, and I didn't get that far into it. I've never picked up the others at all though, just never had the opportunity.

Last edited by Kraven H. Silverfox on October 13th, 2014, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 2:25 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Okay. Sound's good :)

And I'm glad someone else has read the Silmarillion. So few people have only watched the movies and call themselves 'serious fans.' When, really, the only thing they're fans of is Legolas.Gah... this annoys me endlessly.
I only know one other person who's read the Silmarillion IRL, and they only because I forced them to XD not really, but I just kept talking about it and got them curious.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 2:55 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I wouldn't call myself a serious fan, because I haven't had the chance to finish the books. I do a lot of reading up online about things I need to know for my RPs, and characters, but that still doesn't make me fell like a serious fan, because it fells like a cheap way to get the information about the story.

That's something that I get sick of hearing. 'Random chick "I love the Lord of the rings." Me "Oh, really, what's your favorite part?" Random chick "Legolas" chick squeals "He's just so hot." Me "I think I'm going to be sick." I walk away shaking my head disappointed.' I have had pretty much this exact situation happen more times then I care to admit.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 3:05 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Exactly! But my one friend sobered out after I got her to read the Sil, and another friend completely dropped Tolkien after she found someone 'hotter' than Legolas...
But I've held on, simply because I like the story, and the history, and the places and characters, and the languages, especially Quenya.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 3:49 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

It's a fantasy world, but there is so much of a connection with real life that I just get pulled into the world. I love fantasy, and sci-fi, and I always will. They have become a part of my life, and I've learned more life lessons from them then from anything else in life, except from my religion. Let's not get into that though.

My point is that if you just hold on to a character, because of the actor who played them in a movie. Then you haven't taken the time to try and understand the true beauty of the world, or even the story, that they're apart of. Therefore you can't appreciate what it's actually about, or the true beauty that it's able to show you, if you only took the time to look.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 4:21 pm 
Ent
Ent

I'm a tiny bit insulted, at the notion that just because I haven't read that far in the LotR books, and all of The Hobbit, that it means I couldn't possibly be a serious fan.
Okay, that aside, I'll answer the question;

Yes, I'll be alright with following the movie plot more, because I'm not so familiar with the books.

As far as Boromir goes, I wouldn't be against it if he lives. But at the same time, the fact that he dies, is a life defining moment for Faramir.

♥ Married to Thranduil, 22 April 2014 ♥

Lónannûniel, Queen of the Woodland Realm ♦

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 4:31 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I guess using the term serious fan is a bad way to put it, but that's the way that I've heard most people describe it, and like I said earlier, it means that I'm not one either, so yes, it does bother me a little bit too.

Anyways, everyone else will think he's dead, and when you see the way it happens, you'll be able to understand how he could live and still have everything else happen the way it should. Including Faramir having his life defining moment, I promise.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 4:40 pm 
Ent
Ent

I do consider myself a serious fan. I enjoy reading about the characters on LotR wiki. I don't consider it a cheap way to find out about them either. It is just sifting through all the heavy text, and getting to the information I want. I also hate the fact that people think that if you have read the book, you must hate the movies, or vise versa. That is wrong. I read The Hobbit six times, before I even saw AUJ. I love both.

Alright, if it doesn't change much about how that works out. I love Faramir's journey, and him as a character. His own self doubt, and sadness over the loss of his brother, along with the need to prove himself to his father, makes for an extremely compelling story.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 4:58 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm not saying that getting the information online is a cheap way of getting the information. Only that where I am concerned, and only about myself, that I feel it cheapens it for me, not that a person is cheap for doing it that way.

I'm not saying that your not a serious fan if you haven't read them. I said in my last post that it was just how I've heard people use the term. I also don't like how people try to use the term. I have a friend who loves to read, but hasn't read anything related to the Lord of the Rings story, but in many ways I would consider him a more serious fan then myself because what he knows. All he has done is watched the movies, and read tons of stuff online.

Lastly, no one ever said anything about people who like the movie not liking the book, or people who like the book not liking the movie. The only thing we talked about is people go crazy about a character, usually Legolas, because he looks sexy in the movie. They will admit that it is Orlando Bloom that they are in love with, not the character he portrays. That is what gets on our nerves. If a person loves the character, and the guy who played him, that's great, but that isn't what most people love, unfortunately. I meant to offense by anything I said, and I pretty sure that Túrien_Thalion didn't either. So please don't take it personally, because we honestly meant nothing by it, and I apologies that it offended you.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 5:13 pm 
Ent
Ent

I took no offence. I'm pretty difficult to fully offend, to be honest. Even if I am, I just shrug it off. So, all is forgotten. :)

There is one movie related plot thing, that I wanted to request happening, can we have our group spend some time in the forest, where Merry and Pippin met Treebeard? I adore the ents, and I thought it would be cool if our characters got to talk to them.
So, what does everyone think?

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 13th, 2014, 5:24 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I was actually planning on having our characters go there after the battle for Helms Deep. So we could see the Ents then. It would be hard to set it up before then though, seeing as how we would have to help Boromir so he doesn't die, and then, since we would be in Rohan already, having to deal work the other stuff going on there too, so I hope that this idea would work for you, because we would still get some time with them this way.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2014, 11:24 am 
Ent
Ent

Can I make a little character sparing request? Since we are following the movie plot, could we spare Haldir? ( :lol: In joke, his name always makes me lol...) It's not right that he was killed in the movie. From what I've read about the characters, there is no confirmation whether he lives or dies.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 14th, 2014, 11:32 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I don't see a reason not to. His death serves no purpose that I can see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next