Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently June 16th, 2024, 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2006, 5:07 pm 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

I don't think any of us have ever said that Boromir was a coward or weak, we simply said he did not have the power in his grasp to resist. Or at least, that's what I think.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2006, 12:41 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I think Boromir is very brave, he fought for something he thought could save people. No doubt he killed many orcs before he got killed by one. In my opinion, that in itself proves he is brave.

Banners and avatars taken from Fantasy Worlds

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2006, 4:17 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Tar-Vanimelde- Do you mean Boromir doesn't have the power to resist the Ring's influence? If yes, I wanted to ask if Faramir could resist it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2006, 8:04 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Faramir and Boromir are two totally different characters. Boromir was always the Captain of Gondor, the leader of the Army and everyone was waiting from him to save the day. On the other hand Faramir, was just a leader of a small group of people who made very good work though. I do not mean to make Faramir "look smaller" but I believe that everybody in Minas Tirith believed that if there was someone to save Gondor that was Boromir and not Faramir.

This I believe had a quite big effect to Boromir and he wanted for good cause of course to save Gondor. But all this stress and the effect of the Ringr unfortunately led to his death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2006, 10:41 pm 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

Hello Astaldo, and yes Veedhelion, I think he did.

There's a quote from the book that I believe says it all;
~I would not take this thing if it lay by the highway. Not were Minas Tirith were falling in ruin and I alone could save her, using the weapon of the Darklord for her good and my glory.~

That's the crucial point where Faramir boldly states and proves he would not fall to the power of the Ring as he brother had. Faramir of course, had many reasons to take the ring, but I think he understood what would happen if he took it, nor was tempted for glory, as Boromir had. Boromir never quite understood the fact that the ring was too powerful for him to use for good. Faramir had at least a vague grasp of what the Ring could do, or so it seems.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 13th, 2006, 2:47 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Yes what you say it is true Tar. But Faramir and Boromir are two totally different charactes. I believe that Faramir could resist the power of the Ring because he had not the burden of the saviour of Minas Tirith like Boromir had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2006, 9:40 pm 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

Yes, but he had as much pressure from his father, if not more, so you could arguably say they were pretty equally burdened.

And nice banner.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2006, 3:50 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I think that Boromir was very brave. He killed 20 orcs alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 26th, 2006, 3:44 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Boromir is both weak and strong... He is a strong fighter and great at defending himself however he is too weak to not be tempted by the ring although he was strong enough to accept that he had done wrong. I agree with many of you though, his death was sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 27th, 2006, 11:37 pm 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

darkcrow wrote:
I think that Boromir was very brave. He killed 20 orcs alone.

That only means he was strong, not necessarily brave, but yeah, I agree with you.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2006, 1:36 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

*I put something like this on another topic but, it'll fit here too.*

Boromir was a very noble and good-intentioned man. He really did want the best for everyone, he was just a little confused and corrupted by the ring (stupid ring :disgust: ) But the ring even got a hold of Galadriel for a moment or two. Though, his heart was not as strong as the others, Denethor put the idea in his head that the ring could help Gondor and he believed it because he wanted to help his people.
After the incident at Amon Hen, he realized that the ring was not the answer, then he gave his life to save Merry and Pippin so clearly he was not as bad as everyone made him out to be.

He was an honorable warrior who cared tremendously for those he swore to protect.

(Tar-Vanimelde your right Boromir was burdened, by his father.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2006, 5:44 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^
*agrees* I also think that Boromir was a really strong man, perhaps not as strong as some others, but I think the main reason why he was corrupted by the ring was because he was sent by his his father to get the ring and because he wanted to help his people who got weaker all the time.

Post subject: Weak or strong? Evil or good?
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 1:24 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

How you view Boromir certainly has everything to do with how you view the nature of man. Are we born evil or good? Weak or strong? I guess outside of some moral code, like the Christian bible, I can only answer that by my experience. With my two boys it has been an uphill battle to teach them what is moral, good and right. If I hadn’t taught them those things I am fearful what they would be like today because their natural bent seemed to be in the other direction. And in my own life it is easy for me to do what is evil and a struggle to do what is good.

Consequently, I believe the LotR is really a story about every one of us. It is read differently in every character in the books but each must struggle with the inherent weakness/evil within them which is symbolized by the Ring of Power. Each must take the responsibility to throw the Ring into the fires of Mt Doom for themselves. Like Galadriel told Frodo, “…to bear a ring of power is to be alone. This task was appointed to you. And if you do not find a way….no one will.”
This is not just something that Frodo had to do but Boromir, Aragorn, Gandolf, Galadriel and every living being that crossed paths with the Ring had to struggle with. It is not something others can do for you. Each one of us must do it in our own lives or it will not be done. In this we are alone.

Boromir, who was courageous, noble and honorable in many ways, was not originally so. He, like all of us, was weak but grew into that mighty man with the help of those who mentored him and the things he suffered. But no mortal man has ever reached perfection or is ever beyond temptation. If you look at history, it is when a man is strongest that he is the most vulnerable. Yeah, even Boromir still had to struggle to rid himself of the entanglement of the evil Ring. Look at the end of those who weren’t successful in doing this and look at the end of those, like Boromir, who were. There is a BIG difference!

Last edited by Sinbearer on June 4th, 2006, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 1:32 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Agreed. If Boromir was weak, would he stand against many Uruks?? Brave enough to challenge them. Noble enough to accept his fate.

I guess Sinbearer you are tired of writing same things last day :D

Will be going to London on March of the 30th

Post subject: Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right!
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 3:16 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Vikingmaiden, you have discussed the subject of whether Boromir’s pride was good or bad or if there is such a thing……

I suppose that everyone would read the books differently and have a different perception of Boromir and that is what is so cool about this forum. We can share.

Pride is defined as an exaggerated positive evaluation of oneself, often based on a devaluation of others. Arrogant pride can be a social faux pas, but on the other hand, feeling proud is important for a healthy sense of self esteem.

I feel like, as good a man as Boromir was, he was not beyond being susceptible to the evil (or at least socially unacceptable) side of pride. Even my boys picked that up in his how he interacted with Aragorn and the others at Rivendell and as they traveled. It was hard for him to be humble. I dare say it is hard for any man.

Humility breeds respect for others, patience, forgiveness and friendship and a host of other virtues but self-righteousness, on the other hand, is a destroyer. So I feel there definitely is constructive and destructive types of pride. Boromir, I think, had plenty of the first and certainly some of the second.
This was one of the issues that the Ring brought to him that he was struggling with. (Not the only) And the fruits of humility are definitely a major area where I see him grow.
Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. It is the same with pride and Boromir was no exception.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 8:54 am 

I think Boromir resembeled alot what the Elves thought to be characteristiques of men. Courage of course, I think Boromir was very brave. He fought many battles to save his city and with the good intentions he wanted to bring the Ring to Minas Tirith. But on the other side, he was weak, his weakness was that he couldn't resist the temptation of the Ring.
Why not Faramir? Hmm, I think Faramir did not take the Riing because he saw what the people who did took it were capable of: it led to his brothers death and Frodo almost gave the ring up to the Nazguls. Faramir, I think, also realised that if his father would get the Ring (because his intention would be to give it to his father) than it would also lead to his death.

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next