Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 6:40 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

and she's not weak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 1:21 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

the Wanderer wrote:
... I don't think he ever should have (whether intentionally or not) led Eowyn to think he loved her.

I totally agree. You can see it very clearly in the movie as well. He is being all ~dashing and brave, and then he basically says it'll never happen. He shouldn't have shown any interest from the begining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2008, 7:28 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Arwen , definately. and not Ewoyn. she seems much better with Faramir.
ewoyn, from what i understand, loved the title and freedom that aragorn had more than aragorn himself. i think when she saw aragorn she saw all that she aspired to be and so thought that if she could marry aragorn she would also become like him...
eh, thats what i think anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2008, 2:40 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I personally thought Aragorn and Arwen were right for each other, they come from opposite worlds so to speak. A Mortal and immortal in love, can't get more opposite than that. Also Arwen and Aragorn's love for each other mirriors that of Elwing and Earindel. Who art of course Arwen's ancestors. So yes I think they were right for each other.

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2008, 11:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

*Telpeath Sneaks in*

This reminds me of my 1st post here on A&U! Such memories

*tears*

*Wonders if anyone remembers*

*Telpeath puts on anti-Aragorn T-shirt*

*Runs Away*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2008, 6:28 pm 
Istari
Istari

*timidly pokes head around corner* Umm....I feel really out of place here right now. I am, in fact, a full on Aragorn/Eowyn shipper. Am I alone here, people?? This is awkward.... :blush: Well, I guess we'll get into some interesting conversations in the future! heehee

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2008, 6:35 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

^I'm sure there must be someone else here who's a Aragorn/Eowyn shipper :P
Nothing wrong with it though, both ladies deserved Aragorn IMO, it's just that I reckon Arwen was more well-suited to him and Faramir was indeed better for Eowyn.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2008, 8:50 pm 
Istari
Istari

I'm actually not a fan of Arwen (at all), so I think Eowyn is more right for Aragorn, but I do think Faramir and Eowyn are pretty cute. I just love my non-requited couples...*sighs* lol

I think part of the reason for my support of Aragorn/Eowyn is my dislike for Arwen. The appendices in ROTK about A/A didn't sit well with me for some reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2008, 9:41 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

^So then that isn't what's best for Aragorn, that's what's best for your taste in characters :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2008, 8:43 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I just came across this topic and I thought it was really interesting so I wanted to give my opinion:

For me Aragorn and Arwen always were the perfect couple. They knew each other for so long and have been in love with each other since the first day. I can really understand what Arwen goes through and that she's fighting very hard for the ones she loves even without riding to war.
Éowyn is a very strong character to whom I can relate. She's a strong independent woman, she knows exactly what she wants and she isn't afraid to fight. I love her character, because she knows that she's not gonna stay home where it's safe and watch her family and friends go to war and presumably to death, and just like Arwen she fights for those she loves, just in another way.

So, for me they are both admirable women, because they're both not afraid of death and they figth like hell for what they believe in.
I think the main diference between them (except that Arwen's an Elf and Éowyn mortal) that Arwen stays in Rivendell, she doesn't leave Middle-earth, because she knows there's something worth fighting for and that's what she does. She fights for her love for Aragorn.
While Éowyn's way of fighting for love is being in the middle of a battle.

And concerning the whole "Éowyn loves Aragorn" story:
Everybody knows that Aragorn never loved her that way and that she didn't love the real him either, but I think in fact she never loved him at all. At least not the way lovers would. In my opinion she loved him, because he respected her, even though he didn't want her to go to war, because he wanted her to be safe, I think he never made her feel inferior.

What was really bothering me, esp. in the movies, Aragorn always gave her hope. He kept flirting with her so she had the feeling there was more between them than just friendship. Kind of like, he wanted to have a paln B if Arwen died....So, even though I'm a big Aragorn fan, I could choke him sometimes in the movies.

Okay...so that's what I think about this...hope it wasn't confusing... :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2008, 3:20 pm 
Istari
Istari

Nope, that makes sense to me. :-D Haldir, I've never really thought of it that way, but you could be right. I'm not sure yet. heehee. I know I don't like Arwen, based on points from the appendices, but I also love the idea of Aragorn/Eowyn being together. She had to have loved him, for she wanted to go out to battle with him, to die beside him. He was bound to Arwen and I'm not saying he didn't love her, but I think he would have been very happy with Eowyn. They are both warriors and they seem to have the same spirit. I know Aragorn loved Arwen, but I think A/E would have been amazing. One of my favorite lines from the book is this:

"Few other griefs amid the ill chances of this world have more bitterness and shame for a man's heart than to behold the love of a lady so fair and brave that cannot be returned."

Note how Tolkien wrote cannot, like Aragorn wanted to return it, but he wasn't able to, based on how he was promised to Arwen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2008, 10:12 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Aerandir wrote:
He was creating a third tie-in between the Edain and the Eldar--the third and last. There were two other cases of a Mortal and an Immortal falling in love: Luthien (elf) and Beren (human), and Tuor (human) and Idril (elf). Therefore, it would not make sense to have Aragorn wed Eowyn--the point is to have a final elf & human bond, and Eowyn was not an elf.

Anyone wonder why the only three Eldar/Edain relationships involved Edain men and Eldar women?

Elwing_Star_Spray wrote:
Eowyn's "love" for Aragorn wasn't shown in the books to the extent it was in the movies.

They did a lot of unspoken love references between Eowyn and Aragorn in the movies. It was like their whole sharing of the cup scene in the movie, followed by Eowyn & Theoden's little exchange alluded to some romantic commitment between the two.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 7:21 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I was also wondering why these relationships always were like that. Probably Tolkien did that for a reason, but never really explained it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 11:13 am 

Relationships don't have to be explained. Sometimes they just happen, without any seeming rhyme or reason to them. That's how life works. A good author reflects life.
Arwen is full of the wisdom of years, a gracious support for Aragorn, a loving comfort to him who provides, in the books, a calm contrast to the rather turbulent life he leads as a ranger. I think the hints we give of them and their relationship shows them balancing each other out.
Whereas Eowyn wouldn't have given Aragorn what he needed or wanted--plus, she wanted to take, glory, adventure, everything that was the opposite of her current life as a nursemaid and the chance of being forced to wed Wormtongue...Thankfully for her she met Faramir. So no, I wouldn't say that desiring to go out to battle with someone necessary indicates a love for them, especially if you read Tolkien's comments on it all (Faramir sees through what she wants and needs).

Cannot can mean as in, Aragorn's already promised to someone, but it can also mean that he doesn't feel the same way--his love for someone other than Eowyn is so complete he couldn't possibly love another. That's how I read that line.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 2:28 pm 
Maia
Maia

I'm very much an Eowyn sympathizer but I agree that Arwen/Aragorn and Eowyn/Faramir works out much better than the alternative.
While I do believe Eowyn loved Aragorn, it seemed like a love sprung from desperation--she felt trapped in her life, and here comes this shiny king-to-be who is kind to her and a wonderful leader. It seems completely natural that she fell for him. I'm sure I would have.
But not only was the love clearly one-sided, it was hollow. I think they got it just right in the movies when Aragorn pointed out "it is but a shadow that you love".
Eowyn loved things about Aragorn, but I don't think she knew him or understood him well enough to truly love him.
Their personalities didn't match. They just don't work.
And of course Faramir came along, which was wonderful. :) I love reading the chapter about them in the books over and over.

So, while I completely understand how Eowyn felt and what led her to Aragorn, it simply wasn't true love.

[/rant]

Oh--and I think that when Aragorn said "cannot"; he simply meant that he did not love her and couldn't (and wouldn't!) force himself to.
The inability to return love doesn't always mean that you are being prevented from expressing your love, but also that the love simply isn't there and there's nothing you can do about it.

Thank you for five-plus wonderful years of obsession, friendship and fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 4:07 pm 
Istari
Istari

*looks over responses* Hmmmm....those are some interesting points. I know that A/E wasn't true love and I agree that Eowyn and Faramir are well suited, but I still believe that Aragorn and Eowyn could have had something beautiful given different circumstances. There's not very much more I can argue here, giving that A/E didn't happen. :-D I love what little they did have and think there could have been so much more, but I think I'm just about the only one here who thinks so. If anyone is interested, here is an essay about A/E from Elfsheen.net. The writer explains why she likes A/E so much better than I can. lol

http://www.elfsheen.net/ae.php?why

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next